“We love going to the Grand Parisio. This made our 9th stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Prosper, Texas 75078
“We love going to the Grand Parisio. This made our 9th stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Staff is very friendly and accomidating. Especially Victor the Butler and Namoi our favorite concierge. Daniel and Alex are excellent bartenders at the front desk.
Any questions you may have are welcomed by emailing, and Shirley and Karen are quick to get back to you. They greet you with a flute of Champayne or my favorite a Mandaran Sour, which became my drink for the week. Every time I went to the bar, Daniel had one ready and my husbands beer, which they have Coors lite, a Texas favorite.
We were there in June and we met alot of Honeymooners having a memorable time.
We also spent time at the pool, with Roberto making our drinks and joking with us.
You can also have as many beach towels as you delight at the pool, a plus for us. The beach is private and very relaxing with no children.
The bell boys Ricardo, pablo, and all of them were excellent to take to where ever we wanted to go. Or come get you.
There is a lovely Spa at the Hotel, but we like to go to the Spa that is at the Mall that is on the property. We used it, while the Tropical Storm went through for 2 days, but also the Star Friends would come and play Bingo or other games, especially Edgar was fun, when they usually did out side. When the Storm passed we like playing water Volleyball in the pool. You could always relax, or have fun learning the new dance.

The resturants were very good, especially our favorite Toni's Surf & Turf. All the meals and buffets are in airconditioning, which we like. Also we can go to the other 4 hotels on the property to eat, drink, or whatever, but they can't come to the Grand.
We have been to the Grand when they were 99% full and also 60% full and the service is always the same.
There was security everywhere day and night, but in any part of Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, or our hotel the Drug Cartel was not THERE.
I have to mention as a scuba diver that the Dressel Dive Shop is on the property, and my husband does not dive. So my Butler would take me to the Dive Shop at 8:45 and I would dive with wonderful diver Marco and then be back by 10:30 or 11:00, and spend the rest of the day at the hotel.
Daniel the manager, and other divers Christian, Nash, Olaf, Pablo, and Red, were great fun in making the dives great experiences with safety always inforced. There are also afternoon dives on the reef also. I also took an excursion to Cozumel with the Dressel Divers that took us to Playa Del Carmen, on the Ferry, then we went on the Iberostar boat to the Iberostar Cozumel where we had lunch, Then I dove with my favorite diver Josh, and the other divers were also wonderful. Jeramy the manager, with the help of Josh & Jake are excellent working with the Iberostar Parisio, in setting up your dives while at Iberostar Cozumel. Then they took you back to Parisimo.
I have 50 dives logged with the Dressel Divers, and Natalie in Spain, is always helpful in setting up my dives while there. I miss them now and trust them, as you can see with 50 dives with them.
I wish I was there now! The Grand is a full step above any other All Exclusive Hotel.
Marguerite Borchardt

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Polish first
Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Dates: 7/23/2011 - 7/30/2011
Room: 7046

My wife traveled to the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso for our anniversary vacation. I chose it after reading many favorable reviews on

TripAdvisor.com and we were not disappointed. With few exceptions the resort exceeded all our expectations.

TIP: Make reservations in advance by sending email to the general manager of the resort (rpgrandparaiso@iberostar.com.mx). You can always change

the reservations later when you get there if you want to.

TIP: If there's any special reason for your trip (birthday, anniversary, etc.) be sure to tell your butler. We did and one night our butler

surprised us with a drawn bubble bath complete with rose petals and chilled champagne!

The facilities:

In general, I've never seen such a well-appointed resort. There is intricate marble work EVERYWHERE, and each and every bathroom has a unique

design complete with designer sinks and unique materials. They did not skimp on the quality of materials and it appears that they are focused on

maintaining the place in top shape.

Pools...
There are three pools: the salt-water pool, the tranquility pool and the indoor pool. During our stay none of the pools ever felt crowded.

There were fewer shaded spots available by the salt-water pool as this was the most popular of the pools (it has a swim-up bar) and people

reserved their spots early by dropping towels and sandals and such before breakfast. The tranquility pool was our favorite. Rarely were there

more than 4 or 5 people in the pool at any one time, and it was mostly couples quietly being romantic. We always found a shady spot. The indoor

pool was the smallest and least used of the pools. It is adjacent to the gym and the sauna and steam rooms.

TIP: There are several fountains in the indoor pool. Just push a button and step under the water flow for a hydro-dynamic back and neck massage.

Bars...

I don't drink so we really didn't frequent the bars. There was one bar called the Rhapsody which was in the main lobby. It was set up for

karaoke but during the 7 days we were at the resort we never saw anyone in there. Too bad as it was a nicely appointed bar with a cool onyx

fascade. We hung out there before the 10:00 shows to chill out and amuse ourselves.

Shows...

Every night there was a show at 10:00pm in the theater. The shows were a bit corny, but they put a lot of work into them and it was fun to see

the staff you'd already met by the pool or in the restaurant up on stage doing a song and dance. We went every night and enjoyed them.

Restaurants:

Gourmet - This was the first of the formal full-service restaurants we visited. My wife had the scallops appetizer and the lamb chops. I had

the salmon appetizer and the veal entree. The salmon was "OK". The scallops were better. Both entrees were well prepared and presented. The

lamb was, perhaps, a bit too salty for our taste but was a nice cut prepared as requested ('medium'). The veal was tender and delicious. For

dessert I chose the phylo rolls with cream filling (not great) and my wife had the little cakes which were alright but no better than we had

later at the buffet. Overall rating: B

Japanese - This was our least favorite of the formal, sit-down restaurants. We sat at a regular table rather than at the group table with

performing chef. We did enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant and the food was perfectly acceptable. I had some simple tofu sushi for appetizer

and my wife had octopus salad. Neither were memorable. For main courses we had a lobster stir fry in curry sauce with pinapple (good) and beef

in oyster sauce (also good). Dessert was bananas tempura (mushy) and a mango dessert which was beautifully prepared but skimpy in size. Overall

rating: B-

Surf and Turk - This was our favorite restaurant by far. Nice ambiance and a really good waiter as well. My wife had the seafood assortment

appetizer which might have been an entree in many restaurants. Very good presentation, taste and proportion. On the other hand I ordered the

scallops au gratin which were very nicely presented but were heavily breaded and a bit chewy. It was my least favorite appetizer at the resort,

but the rest of the meal more than made up for it. For entree I had the best filet mignon I've had in a long, long time (if ever). Perfectly

cooked (medium) and seasoned. It was served with grilled asparagus, sauteed mushrooms (buttery!) and mashed potatoes and a green salad. My wife

had the grilled salmon which was also well prepared if not a touch dry. It was served with the same sides. The best was saved for the last. I

ordered the deep fried ice cream which was OK but not amazing. But my wifes dessert of molten chocolate cake made up for it. The cake was moist

and exploded with a luscious molten core which had us practically licking the plate. Overall rating: A-

Tip: Order the molten chocolate cake at the Surf and Turf restaurant.

Buffets:

The breakfast and lunch buffet were served in one building and the dinner buffet as served in another.

The breakfast buffet had omlete stations (two) as well as a crepes and waffles station (run by Dulce, a great friendly person who lives up to her

name ('sweet')). There are breads and cereals.

The lunch buffet's best dish, in my opinion, was the roasted pork leg which was the most tender and moist pork I've ever eaten. Apparently they

cook it in a steam contraption of some kind. Simply amazing.

During the week days (M-F) there was also an outdoor BBQ setup for lunch which offered various grilled meats and sausages along with guacamole,

salsas and salads. There were several nice dishes to be had there including a wrapped-in-foil grouper and chiroso (sp?) sausages.

The dinner buffet had theme nights which offered some variety (usually things off the menu of the different restaurants in the resorts) but the

staples were good too.

Tip: Try the ice cream on the first day and you'll end up going back again and again. They served some of the best ice cream I've had in a long

time at the Grand Hotel.

Tip: There's always fresh fruit available, and the pineapple and mango were particularly good. Better still if served with ice cream and one of

the many sauces they had available.

Shout outs:

Dulce - This sweet young girl worked the crepe station at the buffet in the mornings. She and my wife quickly made friends and every day she

greeted us warmly and made us feel welcome.

Martin - He was one of the most efficient and attentive of the buffet waiters, working both breakfast, lunch and dinner services.

Jessica - One of the resort chefs, there was no question she wasn't happy to answer in detail and at length. And my wife and I (we both love to

cook) had a lot of questions for her. After she got to know us she would explain the day's dishes before we even asked.

Mirna - Friendly and attentive, Mirna worked the pool-side service at the Tranquility Pool which was our favorite place to be. I think she

almost was frustrated that we had such simple requests (water mostly). She wanted to do much more for us to make us happy. When we finally

ordered drinks she was so happy.

Olivia - Another of the resort chefs, like Jessica she was always there to answer our questions and give us advice as to what dishes would be

served at which buffet and when. No question was to trivial to get her full and curteous attention.

Jesus - He worked on the entertainment crew, both leading events by the salt water pool and also performing in the shows in the evening. Jesus

was a charming and funny guy and was not at all pushy when inviting us to participae in the silly pool-side games (we always declined, but when

we saw the games going on they looked like people were really enjoying them).

The other resorts:

As a guest of the Grand Hotel Paraiso you have access to all the facilities of the other resorts. Of course those resorts are overrun with kids,

but there are some cool things to see nonetheless. Particularly there is some wildlife to be seen (flamingos, swans, parrots, coati mundi) and a

lot of beautifully landscaped gardens. The other pools have interesting water features (lazy river, wave pool, etc.) but the presence of

screaming mimis made them unvisitable (in my opinion).

The gym:

The Grand Hotel has its own gym. There are only three treadmills and we had one incident where a couple wouldn't honor the 35 minute time limit.

But other than that there weren't a lot of guests using it and it never was over-crowded. There was another larger gym facility near the Mayan

resort which we checked out but didn't use. It had 5 treadmills, but two of them were out of order.

Tip: The gym opens at seven. Run early and earn your buffet! ;)

Tip: If you like to run outside, start at building 71 and run on the service road behind buildings 75 out to the main road. Turn right by the

convention center and go all the way to the end, turn right on the service road for the Paraiso Del Mar and take it to the end. That's approx.

1.5 miles, or a 3 mile round trip.

The room:
We had an ocean front suite on the third floor of building 70. There was nothing to complain about (well, one small thing. See the 'complaints'

section later in this review)... well, nothing significant anyway. The balcony has a comfortable sofa and swing seat which we loved to use

during morning coffee. The safe worked well. There was ample closet space but perhaps we could have used more drawer space for our clothes.

The TV, while not HD, had adequate channels to amuse ourselves on the few times we actually watched any TV. The jacuzzi tub was large enough for

both of us to soak, and the shower with the rain head was roomy. It was a bit strange having the toilet in its own "phone booth" (glassed off

area) but we didn't mind. And we LOVED having two sinks!

The internet was spotty, but usually was on. Every so often the power dropped out (switching generators?). There were plenty of lights in the

room and a system of switches that was both cool and confusing. There was a master switch by the bed for turning off everything at night; very

cool. Then the door would also trigger an "all on" switch. This was not so cool.

The fridge was well stocked with a mix of drinks and there were always chips and peanuts in stock. Once we told the butler our preferences for

drinks the assortment was changed and we never went wanting for our favorites.

Complaints:
Yes, we did have a few complaints. No place is perfect. Most of the complaints however had to do with other guests and not with the facilities

or the staff.

- one day a family with 5 children set up camp on the beach right near our 'hut'. The children were playing very loudly (as children do) and

when I told the concierge about it (expecting the family would be asked to move to the kid-friendly resort's beach) I was told that the beach is

public land and there was nothing they could do about it. So be warned... if you really expect "adults only" on the beach you might be in for a

surprise. We were compelled to move away from the area for our peace and quiet (eventually settling at the tranquility pool)

- one couple would not honor the posted 35 minute time limit on the treadmills. A guest called in the gym staff (Jesus, a really nice young man)

who convinced the couple to forfeit the machines. It was a bit of a tense situation and made us uncomfortable, but again it was not the resort's

fault and they handled it well.

- people playing frisbee in the tranquility pool. I reminded them that it was a 'quiet area' and they stopped without complaint. Really a non-

incident. You see, I have to really stretch to find complaints.

- I don't drink and this became a source of jokes (good hearted in intent) by some of the wait staff. It kind of grew thin after a while, but I

took it in stride.

- Smokers. I'm glad they didn't allow smoking in the bars and restaurants. We liked sitting outside with the fresh air and breezes sometimes,

but so did the smokers. And it seemed more often than not the smoke would blow right at us.

- The Galaxy Disco allowed smoking inside the place and it had VERY POOR ventilation. We had to leave after a while it was really unbearable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We have vacationed at several beach destinations in the Caribbean. This resort was one of of not THE best. The staff was phenomenal! They genuinely seemed grateful we were there. We never wanted for anything they wouldn't get!

The beach is amazing! So peaceful and private! The pools are the same way. Not crowded AT all.

We went diving at their dive shop as well. Wonderful!

We were not ready to leave after one week! Will DEFINITELY be returning and SOON!

• Stayed July 2011
Bellport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

this was a great vocation.
hotel is amazing,
food is very good, except no fresh juicein the morning,
room is very nice except one fact that they have old TV in the room, but this is very minor.
beach is private and nice, quite we always had a spot on the beach, pools very good too.
hotel stuff nice and friendly.
we did all restaurant reservations via email, and everything worked nice for us

Room Tip: submit your request before arrival in order to get room with ocean view
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Spending our honeymoon at the Iberostar Grand at Playa Paraiso was the best decision we could have made for our honeymoon. We decided to book it after reading through a lot of the TA reviews. They were pretty much spot on. Anyone who finds something to complain about with this resort is really reaching or just way too high maitenance.

From the Cancun airport we used USA transfers. I booked them after getting a couple recommendations. They were awesome. We literally walked out of the airport and spotted the guy with the USA transfers sign, gave him our names, and he put us in a van and took us to the resort. They were very professional.

That was one thing that actually kind of surprised us - we thought that a place as large as the Iberostar complex in Playa Paraiso would have its own shuttle service, but this wasn't really an issue for us. Just something we thought they could add to make it easier when booking everything.

We were greeted at the door with cold towels and champagne. Really nice start! Check in was a breeze. We were in an oceanfront room on the second floor in building 70. The view was amazing and the room was immaculate! Everything was very clean and the room was nice and up to date. We didn't use the pillow menu - we thought that the pillows they put out were great. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was nice and spacious. I will say that the toilet enclosure having a clear door was sort of weird, but we got used to it. I'm not sure if all rooms are like that.

As far as the food: we were really surprised by how good it was! I was honestly not expecting it to be that good. The room service menu was awesome. We loved that you can order food 24 hours and that it's all included! The club sandwich, ham sandwich, and kobe burger were all really good. The room service breakfast was also very very good and so convenient. The food was very good and delivered right when we asked (you indicate on your order a half hour timeframe in the morning that you want it to come).

The lunch buffet - we LOVED this. Always really good options available. It was so nice being able to come in from the heat from the pool or beach to get a quick bite to eat (you do have to wear a coverup and not be still wet from the pool, but it's pretty casual). The service at the lunch buffet was excellent. One day in particular when we came in they were SLAMMED, I guess a lot of people decided to come in for lunch at the same time. But the service was still very prompt. The waiters were literally running around from table to table.

The breakdast buffet - this was usually our favorite meal of the day. They have something for everyone. We loved the omlettes and creppes!

The restaurants - the surf and turf and gourmet were very very good. The Italian restaurant was pretty good, I liked the appetizers we got but my entree (the veal fillet) wasn't too good. But we still enjoyed the meal. The Japanese restaurant wasn't very good - the chef cooking at our table seemed pissed and got our orders wrong. The food was so so. The dinner buffets were also pretty good - we did the international buffet, the mexican buffet, and the latino night/brazillian night. Ironically, the mexican buffet was our least favorite meal of the week! It may have been that because we had that meal a little later in the evening the food wasn't as fresh. The international buffet was awesome - SO MUCH GOOD FOOD. We were raving about that buffet.

I read reviews that people really didn't see or get help from their concierge or butler... I really don't see how that's possible. We had excellent service from both. I will say that the butler who gave us the tour of our room and helped us on the first day was not there the rest of the week. BUT there was a butler (usually one of two guys for the rest of the week) that was at our building. Anytime we had a question or wanted something special, they really went above and beyond to help us. The process of setting up the dinner reservations with the concierge was really easy. They were very friendly and very helpful. Also, one night after dinner we came back and they had sprinkled rose petals in our room and arranged a heart shape out of roses with two towel swans in the middle. I guess they got the message that we were on our honeymoon! :) It was so cute. They had also drawn up a hot bubble bath for us. We loved it!

The golf course was great. It was a lot hillier than you'd think it would be, being in a coastal area. I highly recommend making reservations to play golf ahead of time and making them for early in the morning. We played twice at 7 am - we could not have imagined playing any later in the day, way too hot for a full round! Bring lots of extra balls. Also, have bug spray. We didn't notice a lot of bugs on the resort, but we got bit up like crazy on the course the first day. They pro shop does not provide bug spray, so bring some of your own and use it often!

The pools were very nice and well maintained. Plenty of chairs at both pools. The front desk told us they were at 60% capacity, but I really doubt that they were any higher than 50%. There were a couple times (especially walking around in the evening) that we felt like the only ones there! We really liked being able to hang out, participate in the games, and socialize with people at the swim up bar at the main pool if we wanted to be more active and the quiet pool was perfect to just chill out. They had a waitress bringing drinks and food out to people at the quiet pool as well - and the service was very quick!

The main pool was a lot of fun - the star friends really try to get you involved in the activities. They are out there all day in the hot sun (and most of them are working in the evenings too trying to get people to the shows) so take the time to chat with them. They will remember your names and are so friendly. We played pool volleyball a couple times, which was fun. They also had kayak races in the pool, water aerobics, ping poing, dance lessons, bingo, etc. You could do as much or as little as you wanted and they don't really hassle you to join in.

We went to the rock show and the magic show - both were pretty good!

The service was really what set this resort apart from anywhere else we've ever stayed. Everyone you see - from the waiters to the concierges to the maintenance workers - say 'hola' to you without fail everytime you pass them. They always ask how is your day, do you need anything, etc. Perfecto and Samuel and the lobby bar were awesome, Marcelino and Eli at the swim up bar were awesome, Jessica and Olivia (who you will see in the restaurants) were so courteous and friendly... there are probably other ones that I am forgetting, but everyone at the resort really went above and beyond to make us feel at home.

As far as tipping, we came in expecting to tip basically everyone. I have to say that we received excellent service whether we tipped someone or not. We really didn't notice a change whether we tipped or not. Also, a lot of the staff seemed to change so someone we saw one day who we wanted to tip the next day might not have been at the same station.

We had so much fun and were so active the entire week that we were there. We didn't really go off the resort. We went over to the Maya for a little bit and looked around the shopping center. They were both nice, but we preferred the adults only space at the grand :)

The beach was very nice. A little rocky in parts, but if you're near a rocky space, you're really only a few yards from a clear space. The beach is very clean and very spacious. We did the sea kayaks (included) and the jetskis (not included). Dealing with the Dressel Divers people was kind of a hassle, but we had fun.

The entire resort is spotless. Not a leaf out of place. Very clean and very sleek. The gym was nice - the AC could have been on a bit higher, but it was OK.

All in all, we could not have been happier with our time at the Grand. It was an excellent value and everything was perfect. We loved it and can not say enough great things about this place. You will not be disappointed!!!!

Room Tip: Building 70 is very convenient to everything and has a very nice patch of beach
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
chicago, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Went to the Iberostar Grand back in the summer of 2010. I forgot to write the review for our family trip as my husband and I have been to this resort many times alone. However, now traveling to Mexico as a family again with a large group of 12, I realized this resort needs a review. This resort is the BEST. They are so friendly, and the place is so BEAUTIFUL. Everything is so perfect. You can receive anything you want whenever you want. Top shelf alcohol and delicious food, and also 24hr room service. The pool, grounds, and BEACHES are amazing. The staff is so much fun and they provide everything you need. Althought we didn't visit the other resorts very often it is neat that you can travel to the other pools and lobbies if you want to walk around. As a couple or as an adult family trip this is an amazing place that is worth every penny. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This resort is amazing in every way. The service was outstanding, food was delicious & the whole complex was luxurious, clean & beautiful. Our room was lovely & had so many extras included like wine & beer in the fridge, snacks, robes, bed turn down service. Beds were really comfortable as was the swinging seat & the couch on the balcony. Beach service from the bar was also amazing & we never had trouble getting a hut whatever time we arrive on the beach. We have been to many all inclusives over the years, but this one topped them all.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room but I think a room on 2nd or 3rd floor would be better.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!