“Greatest Place on Earth!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
chicago, illinois
“Greatest Place on Earth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Went to the Iberostar Grand back in the summer of 2010. I forgot to write the review for our family trip as my husband and I have been to this resort many times alone. However, now traveling to Mexico as a family again with a large group of 12, I realized this resort needs a review. This resort is the BEST. They are so friendly, and the place is so BEAUTIFUL. Everything is so perfect. You can receive anything you want whenever you want. Top shelf alcohol and delicious food, and also 24hr room service. The pool, grounds, and BEACHES are amazing. The staff is so much fun and they provide everything you need. Althought we didn't visit the other resorts very often it is neat that you can travel to the other pools and lobbies if you want to walk around. As a couple or as an adult family trip this is an amazing place that is worth every penny. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

3,142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Polish first
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This resort is amazing in every way. The service was outstanding, food was delicious & the whole complex was luxurious, clean & beautiful. Our room was lovely & had so many extras included like wine & beer in the fridge, snacks, robes, bed turn down service. Beds were really comfortable as was the swinging seat & the couch on the balcony. Beach service from the bar was also amazing & we never had trouble getting a hut whatever time we arrive on the beach. We have been to many all inclusives over the years, but this one topped them all.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room but I think a room on 2nd or 3rd floor would be better.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5hanover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the IGP from June 11 thru the 15 . Let me tell you this is truely an elegant and beautiful resort .The property is well maintained and the staff goes out of there way to make your stay an amazing experience . Food was excellant, as were the rooms and the beach . I highly recomend this resort , and will return in May for 10 days

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
san antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Oh were to begin.....We have stayed at several Iberostar properties in Playa - the Lindo, Maya, Quetzal and this by far the most beautiful of all the Iberostar properties that we have stayed at so far. Service from check in to check out was phenomenal. If you are staying in oceanfront room, you are whisked away at front lobby and taken to your room immediately. You check in with your building concierge and your quickly taken to your room once you receive your wristbands. Your butler will come to your room and let you know how to work everything and check and make sure you have everything you need. Let him know exactly what you want in your minibar and it will be restocked with your choices. Room service 24/7 so you will never want for anything. Our butler, Leo, was the perfect host all week!! We parked ourselves on the beach everyday and there was never an issue with palapas or even chairs at the pool. Loved, loved, loved the cool face towels delivered on the beach everyday, scented ever so lightly with Anise...soooo refreshing!! The cool water spritzs were heavenly as well. The main pool was never crowded and you could relax, swim or drink the day away at the swim up bar - Marcellino knows how to make just about every shot imaginable and would keep them coming!! The Star Friends were never pushy but very convincing to get you involved in some of their activities. Eduardo, Augustin and Miara - they are really funny and kept us entertained all week. Even went as far to dive in ocean to help save a windsurfer that was stuck offshore after losing strength - they even helped him carry the board down the beach to the on-site dive shop.
Now on to the food - everything we had was great, even loved the buffets!! Something for everyone. Jessica, the food service supervisor, was at every meal and always came up to us and let us know what was on the menu that day and the next if there was something special. Luis, supervisor at Gourmet restaurant, treated us so special and always made sure we were happy.

Room Tip: the hotel is offering upgrades upon arrival - definitely go for oceanfront!! Also ask about the one...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We just returned from our stay at the Grand.

Service: outstanding. The employees work so hard to make your stay enjoyable. They have my greatest respect.

Rooms: I loved having sevice twice a day. The rooms are immaculate and spacious. It was fun to see which towel animal was going to be on our bed at night. On our last night, rose petals were across the bed. Nice surprise. It was great having a minibar in the room stocked with beverages we requested. Loved the two separate sinks in the bathroom.

Food: We really enjoyed the breakfast and lunch buffets. Our favorite place for dinner was Toni's followed by the Italian and then the Japanese. We found the food to be very good. I ate alone at the breakfast buffets three mornings, as my husband was golfing. I felt totally comfortable to be eating by myself.

Pool: Even though the hotel was not at full capacity, you needed to be at the pool by 9:00 if you wanted a place in the shade. I saw several couples walk around and around looking for a shady spot. I felt sorry for an elderly couple who seemed quite upset to have to be out in the sun. Perhaps the management would consider umbrellas. This might change the look of the pool somewhat, but I think there would be many who would be happy to have them.

Shows: We enjoyed the Boogie Nights show the best, followed by Sebastian the Magician and then Musical Highlights. I just wish the shows were a little earlier. I was beat by 10:00.

Star Friends: They certainly go out of their way to provide entertainment at the pool. Although the games were silly, they were fun. I like that they only ask you once if you want to participate. I never felt hounded to get involved.

Gym: The gym is rather small with but adequate. My only recommendation is to turn up the air conditioning. It was just too hot.

Transfers: I highly recommend USA Transfers. They were prompt, courteous and professional.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort. It is truly beautiful but it is the employees that make the experience so wonderful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed here for 2 weeks in November 2010.
We upgraded to a ocean front room which was very nice and worth the extra cost in my view.
We had a few problems with the lighting in the room....second night of our stay we were unable to turn off the light above the bed ! This was fixed the next day once we had informed the concierge.
Some niggles with the minibar in the room. We nearly always drank the coke and it was not always replaced.
I like a bottle of Jack and we were provided with half a bottle when we arrived. When this was gone I requested another bottle and they sent up a couple of glasses of JD covered by cling film. When I questioned this I was told that JD was a premium drink and was not covered as part of the AI.......however, the next day saw another partial bottle arrive.
These were small things but should have been easy to fix and left me feeling a like they were cutting corners. I don't drink a bottle a day...one full bottle would have done me 2 weeks.
The restaurants were great. I think we ate at all of them and loved them all, especially the Japanese, Steak house and Gourmet.
The staff were all friendly and made our holiday one to remember.
Special mention to the animation team who kept me from becoming a sunbed slouch.
I enjoyed several days of archery and rifle shooting and water volleyball.
It wa during a water volleyball match that my wedding ring flew off and was lost somewhere in the pool. It was found by the staff the day after....in the Jacuzzi....my wife still doesn't believe that I wasn't in there ! So many thanks to the staff for that.
Played tennis most mornings, when I could drag myself of bed at 8am ! Tennis coach was excellent and he did make you work !
Overall an excellent vacation in a fantastic location.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand between Christmas and New Year's. The property could not be more luxurious. The rooms were beautiful. We loved the swing on the back porch, and even though we did not have an ocean view, the view of the "quiet pool" was simply lovely. The butler service was superb. We really enjoyed having cappuccino in bed each morning. (It always came with a basket of pastries -- a nice surprise!) Afterward, the breakfast buffet was one of our favorite parts of the day. I'll admit I'm not usually a buffet person, but the breakfast buffet was lavish: eggs cheerfully cooked to specification with an array of pastries, meats, fruit, and juices. Everything was of the highest quality. The lunches were similarly sublime. You can order an entree (we usually chose the grilled lobster) and then go to the buffet for sides. Seafood options abound, beautiful cheeses were available, and a nearly endless variety of desserts was to be had. The a la carte restaurants did not impress us quite as much. We enjoyed the "gourmet" restaurant most (great seafood options -- truly what they do best) and liked the Italian restaurant. The setting of the Japanese restaurant is beautiful, but the food did not live up.

Throughout the week, we enjoyed the friendly service, and the constant offer of rides on golf carts all around the resort. Do not miss the market in the resort. The shopping is quite good, and there are wonderful culinary surprises around every corners. The freshly made tacos are wonderful, fresh crepes, and tapas were also available...and tasty! It was also fun to have access to the other four hotels. The Lindo and Maya are especially beautiful to walk through. That said, the food at the Grand is a step beyond the others. I probably would not choose to eat at the other hotels given the great options at the Grand. The free entertainment is also fun: don't miss the magic show or the cooking classes.

The only negative I saw during the week was that the ocean water was very turbulent. Perhaps this is just a function of the week we went, but we were unable to snorkel (red flags up every day). (If we go back, we will try excursions to snorkel in the cenotes, caves nearby.) Also, we felt the scuba diving in the Riviera was disappointing compared to other locations. The beach itself is pretty, and the resort was, of course, magnificent, so we had a great time nevertheless. Don't miss a trip to Playa del Carmen to shop. It's a blast!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!