“Awesome trip, thank you Go Iberostar.com!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - P. Juarez Km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Tomball, Texas
“Awesome trip, thank you Go Iberostar.com!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

This is a great hotel with every ammenity you can think of, especially the "all adult" part. We had a great experience, it was our wedding anniversary and we were treated like royalty, even an upgraded oceanfront room!! I must admit, the reason we were upgraded was because of our fantabulous travel agent, Kellie Davis with [--]. She is the best I have ever worked with, very knowledgeable and tries hard to accomodate your special occasion. Very responsive and dependable too. She has a good relationship with the Iberostar resorts and is able to get you the best deal. I HIGHLY recommend her and would not book a stay at Iberostar any other way!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (882)
  • Polish first
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

What more can i say? Fantastic holiday. Very friendly staff, very polite and helpful. The food and service was second to none, never experienced a hotel like this. In a morning towels were already placed on the sunbeds for you! All the alcohol was branded, which was a great bonus plus the mini bar was always restocked daily. This hotel is a MUST. Cannot rate it enough, best holiday ive had and ive been to alot of different countries!

Scranton, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I travelled with my sister and 2 daughters 6/1 to 6/8 to IGP for the 2nd time. It was an amazing vacation!

The rooms were just as perfect as last time. We stayed in bldg 74 with an ocean/tranquility pool view. Rooms were cleaned twice daily like clock work. I love the spaciousness of these rooms. They are pefectly suited for 2 people. We had 2 rooms with 2 queen beds in each.

The food was even better than last time. My favorite restaurants are Toni's surf and turf and the Japanese. All food was excellent. We also tried the Italian and it was surprisingly better than I thought it would be. Lobster lasagne and shrimp risotto were excellent.

While we did swim in the ocean an walk on the beach we primarily spent most of our time by the main pool with Gaston at the pool bar. Chairs were plentiful. I never saw a time when there wasn't one available.

We were celebrating my oldest daughter's graduation from college and everyone seemed to know this. Everywhere we went she was congratulated. It was a nice touch. We also celebrated my birthday on our last evening and our butler Alberto (he's the best...at least he kept telling me that..HA) had decorated my room with balloons and streamers. At dinner Jessica made sure Happy Birthday was sung and I received a dessert which read Happy Birthday. These little things made our trip even more special.

We really enjoyed the poolside BBQs this year and the Stars Under the Stars on Wednesday evening. Olivia has the kitchen/food area under control quite nicely. Excellent food preparation.

We did have an incident in my sister's room where her hairdryer started to smoke and caught fire but I have to say staff responded immediately and it was over before it got out of control. They quickly helped my sister and daughter gather their belongings and EVERYTHING was cleaned, I mean down to their make-up. She and my 1 daughter were quickly moved to another room nearby. All 4 of us were given free massages to relax. The massages were fantastic! What a way to relax.

We place no blame on the resort. It was simply an accident which was quickly and efficiently resolved. Shirley Saldana, Public Relations Manager, is truly an assest at this resort. She was empathetic to our situation and handled it with professionalism.

We're already planning our next visit for next year. Hoping to bump it up to 10 days next time. Better start working the OT now! I'd really love to try other resorts in different areas but I just feel why not stick with something I love. I can't imagine finding a nicer resort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia USA

Wow – Amazing!

Wow what to say? Well to me all the positive reviews and comments were spot on. Facilities, food, service, beach…everything was fantastic! Just some very minor complaints. We stayed here from May 28th through June 3rd. I want to go back right now…I miss this place! I would like to try other Iberostar resorts but this one left such a positive impression. We upgraded to an oceanfront room once we arrived and the views each morning were well worth it. Down side I did notice some mildew / mold on the swing cushion on the balcony. Very easy to have someone clean off but don’t think one would notice unless really looking. We went swimming on the beach everyday even though the yellow and red flags were up. Rocks are easily avoided and there is plenty of swimming space. Sun bathing was great and saw plenty of topless women. Walked the beach / went beach combing and saw small schools of needle fish, urchins, sea slugs and other small fish.

Did two al la carts…Tony’s and Asian…Asian was better in my view and the view from the restaurant (lovely), but Tony’s was still great…just depends on what you order. The seafood sampler’s cold jumbo shrimp are so good. No the lunch buffet don’t have a salad bar perse however there is fresh dark green lettuce and tomatoes for you to make your own salad and dressing (which should be better labeled). Saw vegetarians there who simply asked for items to be brought to them at the buffet and the staff happily obliged. We cancelled two dinner reservations because we were so full from the lunch buffet. When we got hungry later, we just ordered room service. Cook outs / BBQ’s daily either by the pool or by the lunch buffet were so good. Desserts hit or miss…their sweet tooth is not as sweet as other countries but we found some stand outs. The chocolate cake item on the room service menu is so good and all their ice creams were up to par (try the coconut). There is a mint/lime sorbet at Tony’s OMG! I know some complained they don’t do dinner buffets but we loved it. The food was very good and so many little desserts to try until you find one that is right for you. As a cheesecake lover, I did think the cheesecake was horrible at Tony’s and the dinner buffet…very disappointed but found many replacements and substitutes lol. The beach service was satisfactory and please tips these guys who stand in the hot sun all day serving drinks on the beach. Had multiple butlers during the week (3-4) but at any given time they were located by the concierge desk and asked how we were doing and offered any assistance and were very friendly (as all the staff was). Requested 2 bottles of liquor and they promptly arrived with room service. All the drinks were fine except one day we had some bad tasting pina coladas. My partner thought they were fine but the ones we had the day before were so good. It seems like I made a lot of my own drinks anyway being that there was plenty of liquor and beer in our room.

Gym was sufficient and we were able to have great work outs. I was surprised by the sauna and steam room at the spa and these were very relaxing. As an early riser, I do wish the gym opened earlier...The hours are from 7am – 10pm.

The down side to this resort as with all resorts is the patrons, who at times can be loud, rude, drunk, etc. but understand this in no way had any major impact on our trip. Also noticed plenty who did not tip (the servers and the musicians in the bar) which is something I will never understand. Please tip these great people. I also wished the shows started earlier.

One tip; even though the jacuzzi tub was clean, the jets were not. If you plan on taking a bath, fill the tub and start the jets up to get out the residue. Empty and re-clean and you will be fine. I will say it again...I miss this place. We plan on a return trip. Either just the two of us or taking our mothers for Mother’s Day 2012. If anyone has been to other Iberostar resorts around the world or other AI resorts they think is better or on the same level as the Iberostar Grand…I would love to hear your thoughts, opinions and suggestions.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso June 9-15, 2011. Our vacation was incredibly relaxing and fun and we felt like we were pampered the whole time. The resort, grounds, beach and people are all beautiful. The question is not if we will return, but when will we return.

BOOKING/TRANSFERS We booked through Erica Fox at allinclusiveoutlet.com and everything was handled with utmost professionalism. I had a few questions and my e-mails were always responded to within minutes. We used American Express Transfers and they were great. Marco was our driver in a white Escalade and he was very nice and courteous.
CHECK-IN/ROOMS Check-in at the Grand was smooth with a couple of bumps. During check-in, we arranged to upgrade to a corner suite the last 3 days of our trip since it wasn’t available immediately. Then we were taken to a first floor oceanfront room in Building 71. I had specifically requested any floor but the first floor so a call was made to the front desk and they said they could change our room the next day. It wasn’t a huge problem but we did end having to move twice. All of our rooms were in Building 71. The first floor room was the warmest room in my opinion and it didn’t offer very much privacy or views on the balcony. Our next room was on the second floor and offered more privacy and better ocean views on the balcony. Our final room, 7141, was a corner Jacuzzi suite and was spectacular. I loved sitting on the balcony—it literally offered 180 degree views. The whirlpool tub had the best views. I used cool water and hung out there for two afternoons and was as happy as a lark.
GROUNDS The grounds were beautiful and immaculately kept. You could easily walk the Grand property or take a golf cart if you didn’t feel like walking. We enjoyed walking the property and admiring the different light fixtures here and there and the different patterns in the stone work paths. Each of the public bathrooms is decorated beautifully (even by the pool.) The ceilings in the resort are covered with Italian Renaissance reproductions and are gorgeous. The resort had low occupancy during our visit so there was no “towel game.” In fact, we often changed spots throughout the day with no problems finding shady cabanas. There are a few coatis and iguanas and I loved watching them. The coatis are really only at the Grand in the early morning and occasionally one brave coati will come around the pool begging for food.
POOLS The large, main pool is cool and salt water. It was the perfect temperature and I enjoyed floating around in it in my float that I brought. I am glad I brought a float because the pool concierge didn’t have very many. We gave our floats to the pool concierge when we left so now they have two more. The pool bar was fun to hang out at and we enjoyed talking with a lot of other couples that were our age (early 30s). Marcelino was so nice and attentive. He remembered our names and drink preferences within an hour or so. We also liked going over to the spa and swimming in the indoor spa pool. The pool was cool but there were also two hot whirpool tubs. It was the most relaxing place ever. The tranquility pool was ok but we never spent any time there other than about 15 minutes one day because it was too hot with no breeze in that area.
ROOM SERVICE We ordered room service every morning around 5:30-6am. We just ordered coffee and croissants or breakfast pastries most mornings. It was always on time and the breakfast pastries are very tasty. I ordered wine and a cheese tray another time and it took about 30 minutes and was presented beautifully.
FOOD/RESTAURANTS The food at the IBG was delicious. Breakfast--We ate at the breakfast buffet a few times and it had a large selection of pastries, cheeses, yogurts, fruits, breads, meats, and eggs. We normally had them make us omelets and they were always good. The coffee was good but I recommend the cappuccino. Lunch—We ate at Las Brisas every day. We loved the fajitas the best. I always got shrimp and steak fajitas and my husband really liked the chicken fajitas. We also enjoyed the chips and guacamole there. The hamburger, grilled prawns and French fries were also very good. Alex or Noroberto were our waiters and they were very attentive and remembered what we liked. They were excellent servers for breakfast or lunch. Dinner—We ate at all of the restaurants at the Grand (except the Gourmet) and at Jambalaya Cajun Restaurant at the Lindo. All of our experiences were good. I wouldn’t recommend the Italian if you do not like seafood. However, they are very accommodating and made my husband linguine with marinara sauce. We ate at the Cajun Jambalaya restaurant at the Lindo the night of the International Buffet and it was good and a nice change of pace. The Japanese restaurant was one of our favorites and we dined there two times. We enjoyed sitting at the teppanyaki tables and talking to our fellow diners. I would recommend the tempura veggies, fried rice, shrimp, beef filet and chicken. Toni’s Surf & Turf was probably our favorite of all. We ate there twice. I had the surf and turf and the lobster was tough and not very good. I wouldn’t really recommend the lobster at this resort though. I would recommend the porterhouse and rib eye steaks and cold seafood appetizer the most.
NIGHTLIFE We enjoyed going to the lobby bar after dinner for drinks a few nights. Perfecto the bartender was a lot of fun and very good at mixing up drinks. He made a mean espresso martini and be sure to ask for the Perfecto Especiale. We ventured over to the Snake Bar at the Maya one night and enjoyed the beautiful architecture and design of the bar. The sports bar at the Maya was a fun place to watch the NBA Championship game. We even ended up at the Galaxy Discoteca one night and it was fun for about 15 minutes!
SERVICE Now this is what sets this resort apart. Everyone we encountered that worked at the Iberostar greeted us with an “Hola” and a smile. No request was ever responded to with a “No.” We enjoyed talking to everyone at the resort. Our butler, Victor had a great smile and was very nice. Sergio was our bellman and drove us around on the golf cart a few times and was funny and nice, too. All of the hostesses at the restaurants were beautiful and sweet. I really cannot say enough about the outstanding staff. Please remember to tip these hard-working people!!!!

Room Tip: Recommend third floor ocean front room
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

The luxuriousness of this place never ceased to amaze us. All the staff are very friendly and the star friends provide some fun activities at the pool and beach. Plenty of topshelf liquor available, the biggest problem is choosing what to order. Room service is included too and will always surprise you by giving you more than you asked for.

We went beginning of june, we never got up early and always managed to find a reasonable spot. Even if the main pool would have been too busy, the beach or tranquility pool aren't very far.

drink tip: ask for the Spanish cava, the standard one is Portuguese - I'm not a fussy drinker but I really didn't like that one.

Room Tip: Top floor has my preference but all rooms are good
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

This hotel cannot be faulted. The food, the entertainment, the rooms, the facilities, all first class.

Everything about the hotel is perfect.

A little pricey maybe but well worth the money, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!