“Absolutely the Best Vacation We've Ever Taken” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso to your Saves list
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carr. Chetumal-Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Tomball, Texas
“Absolutely the Best Vacation We've Ever Taken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

We just got home this past Monday, the 22nd, and are already planning another trip back!

This resort delivered, and then some. We stayed five days and four nights, and all in all, I have very few complaints, most of which I could take care of on my own, on our next visit, or won't exist next time, since I know how the resort works and its layout.

The rooms are spacious and well-appointed, with the exception of a simple corkscrew and bottle opener. They'll supply you with wine and Corona beer for example, but don't supply the items to open them up with. I've heard complaints from others who asked for the items and never received them, but I never had the need to push the issue, thanks to my husband's Reef flip-flops that had built-in bottle openers on the bottom of the soles. As for the wine, I just got what I needed from the bar and would forget about the bottle until I walked back into the room and saw it sitting there.

The IB* employees are exceptional and truly make this resort as special as it is. We had an excellent butler, and he, the Star Friends and the bartenders are already missed. Wonderful, genuine people, each and every one of them.

There was always an attendant in the pool/beach area taking, and consistently filling drink orders. No complaints there at all.

I parked myself in one of the many cabanas near the beach, right next to where the Star Friends did their water games, and close to the area where the ping-pong tables are located. I never once heard the music get too loud, nor were they ever in the least bit obnoxious.

As for the beach, yes there are flat boulders towards the edge of the beach, and under the surface of the water in front of The Grand, but they in no way detract from the water's appearance. I'm not big on getting in salt water, but if you wanted to get into the water, it's maybe a 3-5 minute walk to The Maya next door. Honestly, after eating all the good food there, the walk will do you good!

We ate at all the restaurants, with the exception of the gourmet. They were all good; Toni's being the best, followed by the Italian restaurant. The only complaint I have about the food, is the breakfast buffet. It was not good at all, in our opinion, but the lunch buffet more than made up for it. The grilled shrimp (not on the menu) is out of this world.

We caught the magic show, the musical show, and the broadway show and all were good. The lobby bar had some good crowds a few of the nights, and was laid back. No falling-down drunks here, which is exactly what we were hoping to avoid. I'd say the crowds ranged from mid-20's, to early 60's, with the median age being around 35.

The hotel itself is beautiful. Everything from the tumbled marble tile work in the outdoor pathways, to the marble floors inside the main building; it's just beyond beautiful. The atrium is breathtaking.

We stayed in building 71, which currently is the only ocean front building open. I would have preferred a room on the second or third floor, to clear the view of the palapas, but there wasn't one available the first night, and we didn't want to move. Personally, I won't upgrade to oceanfront again. We just didn't spend enough daylight time in the room to justify its cost. Most of the restaurants are in the main building, where the majority of the rooms are, and this is where I'll be when we return.

All in all, we felt pampered, special, and at home at The Grand, and I don't think you can ask for much more than that. We'll be returning to celebrate, and hopefully renew our vows, for our fifth anniversary next October. We can't wait!

• Liked — Common Areas, Rooms and IB* Employees
  • Disliked — Leaving!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

3,230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Polish first
Covina, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

We just got back home from staying 7 nights at the Grand, we are still talking about how beautiful the Grand was. The pictures don't do justice that you see posted, you have to see the place for yourself. This place was perfect for our honeymoon, the hotel was not to busy nor did it have a big party scene. We could walk out to the pool and beach area and hangout anywhere. They had attentive cocktail service at both the beach area and at the pool. They have a selection of premium alcohol, (Grey Goose, Don Julio), and full menu of American, German, and Mexican beer to choose from. . Our favorite restaurant was Toni's surf & turf, the double cut filet was to die for!!, just as good as other high end steakhouse's (I know a good steak). The other favorite restaurant was Japanese, the tempura banana dessert was delicious. The Italian restaurant was our least favorite. The Kobe beef burger was a bit hit, we had it several times especially for lunch. In fact the chef said that they get a lot of midnight room service requests for the Kobe. We ordered room service mostly for breakfast, they have a menu card to choose from, hang it outside of your door before 1:00 a.m. The delivery was on the dot every morning, not a minute late. In fact you can order room service 24-7. What a nice perk. Our nightly routine was to eat dinner, watch a show that they have every night starting at 10:00 P.M. and head to kareoke bar. We met some really nice friends from Chicago and Boston. Hi Guys......The great thing about staying at the Iberostar Grand is that the chain has four other hotels located on the premise but those guests can't visit the Grand, but the Grand guests can enter the other hotels. Also if you stay at the Grand you get complimentary green fees, I was in line at the clubhouse and the guests not staying at the Grand had to pay the green fees...One last thing the service was excellent, one night at the gourmet restaurant my wife requested a special order (not on the menu) and the chef came over to our table and asked what would she like and said no problem.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

My husband, myself and our friends stayed at the Grand Oct. 16-21. We had a very nice vacation overall. I thought the beachfront room was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in. The staff was wonderful, the beach was beautiful (and I was concerned about this prior to our stay), and the grounds lovely. Breakfast and lunch were delicious but I did think the dinner restaurants left a little to be desired both food wise and atmosphere wise. They were not bad just not what I had envisioned. The gyms equipment was very nice however it was extremely hot in the room (it kind of shares space with an indoor pool). The all inclusive wine selection was very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes all-inclusives and is not real concerned about there dinner options. The golf course was beautiful and challenging - you do loose a lot of balls so bring plenty. I think this resort is a 4.5 - downfalls some of the over indulgers who go to all inclusives and get a bit loud (not the hotels fault just a fact that goes along with the AI plan), dinner options and small things like the gym being hot, no water or no cups in the gym, the tv and clocks did not work in the gym. Star friends on a couple occasions had the music on a bit loud when only 1-2 people were participating in the activities that required music. Again, over all this was a beautiful resort with wonderful employees.

Stayed October 2007
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Heaven on Earth!

It would be redundant to describe how posh this resort is. Pure opulence everywhere; from the marble football length size lobby, to the restrooms, every nook and cranny has been thoughtfully and methodically planned. I will attempt to make this review brief, but rest assured there is no worry in booking this wonderful resort for your special holiday. Be it your Honeymoon, anniversary, special occasion or just a romantic getaway, the Grand may well be the most perfect resort you will ever stay in.

I could go on and on about the restaurants, the pools, the food and the service, but I would be repeating most of all the other recent reviews. Instead, I will offer a short list of memories, ideas and suggestions to make your holiday at the Grand as wonderful as ours. Honeymoon perfection!!

Oh, just one clarification to put to bed all the misinformation about the beach. Please allow me to clarify once and for all. The beach is fantastic! Light, golden brown sand, magnificent! The actual beach sand is not the problem, it’s beautiful. The problem is with the water area. The area to enter the ocean is limited. The ocean floor area is mostly coral like rock. You can move from one area to another to enter, but really the water area is not conducive to swimming. You can enter, but this water area is not like other Caribbean area beaches. Most of the water area is covered with this coral rock. I just thought that if you are booking here, and I still highly recommend that you do, be aware of this one bone of contention with some travelers. Rest assured, the beach is still fantastic, but please keep in mind that the water area is not perfect, but everything else is.

Price/Upgrades: (Honeymooners pay particular attention.)

If you are a honeymooner you have a choice to make prior to booking. You have three different room choices, SJR, Super Junior Suites. (Fantastic room) The room upgrade is in the SJR OV, which is the exact same room but with an ocean view. This is also a fantastic room, but you can see the ocean from your balcony. (Sweet) This pricing is significantly higher than the SJR.

The next upgrade is the SJR OF, same room, but directly at the ocean with a stunning view! There are 4 other rooms at the beachfront that are corner Jacuzzi suites, but they are probably another upgrade or special request suites, try asking if you do the upgrade.

If you are a honeymooner and can prove it with your certificate, you will automatically get the free upgrade to the Ocean View. If you book the Ocean View from home and pay the extra, then you will get the Ocean Front. Just keep in mind; the price jump from the ‘regular’ rooms, (The SJR) to the ocean view (SJR OV) is around $400-500 more depending on the time, availability etc… You may choose as we did to book the SJR, obtain the free honeymoon upgrade to the Ocean view, and then pay extra for the Ocean Front. The Ocean Front is definitely worth the extra cash either way. The price that was offered originally for the Ocean Front was 100.00 per night, which quickly dropped to 50.00 per night. This was pretty much standard in their pricing as other couples also received this 50.00 per night upgrade. Just keep in mind the time of the season and the availability factor.

Here are some other tips/highlights:

Free Shoe Shine service
Free daily paper each morning at your door.
Free min-bar, with free stocking of anything you wish.
Lobster delivered to your room, with a bottle of champagne on ice.
For after the show, a hot bubble bath with rose petals was prepared for us in the Jacuzzi tub. (How sweet is that?)
24 room service.
Visit the Shopping Centre with free rides via the Golf Carts.
Awesome authentic tacos in the shopping area, of course, all inclusive!
Free bus ride into Playa Del Carmen.
Try booking the Mexican restaurant at one of the sister resorts instead of the Japanese at the Grand. The Japanese restaurant was somewhat disappointing.
Play pool in the games room, or poker.
Relax with a cold drink in the Sports Bar. Monday night football, wall mounted LCD screens, relaxing lounge chairs, what else could you want?
Outdoor jacuzzi tubs by the pool.
Relax with a soothing message by the beach – 60.00 per hour.
Awesome workout room and fantastic indoor pool area!
Nightly dark chocolate treats for you and your companion at your bedside when you return at night.
His and hers robes and slippers.
And the unbelievable king size beds, you won’t believe it. Sleeping has never been so peaceful!

Just book, there is no need to worry, just pray the weather is nice as the coastal region of Mexico has been unpredictable lately, August to October 2007.

Enjoy and savor the Grand. Heaven on Earth? Perhaps, but definetly an experience you will never forget! I know we won’t!

• Liked — Service, food, everything!
  • Disliked — The water area at the beach.
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed at Iberostar Grand from Oct 6 – 13. Usually we travel south in Jan and Feb and on occasion May/Jun. This trip was in celebration of our 25th anniversary.

Here is a little bit about my husband and I, so you can decide if our priorities for an AI are similar to yours. We are in our 40's. Since walking is basically our sole form of exercise while away, we prefer large resorts so we can do lots of walking within the confines of the resort. Night life (disco) is not important to us. We find after a “tough day” in the sun the resort’s show is usually late enough for us. We are easy going and so far all our trips south have been good, although some have been better than others.

This is our 16th all-inclusive. I always like to know where others have stayed so I know what they are comparing so here are some other resorts we have been to recently: Aventura Palace in Mexico, The Royal Cancun, Excellence Punta Cana, Sun Palace in Cancun, Palladium Palace in Punta Cana, Riu Taino in Punta Cana, Sandals Hicacos in Varadero, and El Dorado in Mexico.

Room: We were upgraded to an oceanfront view. Room 7114, on the ground level. This room is by far the nicest room we have had. We usually book standard rooms and we have never been upgraded before. All the rooms are the same the only difference is the view. I would think requesting a view of the infinity pool would give a fantastic view because you may be able to see the ocean beyond. The bath is nice with his and hers sinks. Tons of amenities. Housecoats, slippers, a well stocked mini bar, Pringles chips and nuts. The bed was very comfortable, we ordered a couple pillows from the pillow menu. Clock radio by the bed and DVD. A sitting area with a table for room service. Teak deck with a basket swing for two, couch and clothesline. The lighting was strange as others mentioned but a lot of task and mood lights, very cool. There was a fruit basket when we arrived. We had a fair amount of rain so this room was well used especially the deck. An umbrella supplied would be nice. We found 20 degrees C was not cool enough for sleeping and that was as low as the temperature would go. Also the ceiling fan was over the sitting area not the bed.

Weather: We had a fair amount of rain at the beginning of the week although there were breaks when we got out walking. Towards the end of the week, Thurs and Fri were almost full sun days.

Grounds: This was the highlight for us. The Grand alone offers a fair amount of wandering space but add the other four resorts and we were in walking heaven. The Grand’s pool is the smallest of the ones we saw. Beautiful with it’s infinity look flowing right into the ocean and certainly large enough for the amount of people during our stay. We spent a couple hours at the Lindo pool mostly to check out the wave pool, 5 min in the wave pool was good. Even though the pool at the Lindo was huge it was crowded. Chairs around the Grand were confusing with unlimited towels they are often left behind and it is hard to tell if the chair is taken (I am not complaining about unlimited towels). Possibly a staff member could go around regularly collecting towels from chairs where there are no personal items, this would take the onus off other guests for removing someone’s towel. There are a few floats and noodles provided. There is not a lot of shade around this pool but for us we went to the beach when we were ready for shade. The chairs sitting on grass is also a problem. Most of the grass has died and with the amount of rain we had some of the chairs were floating in mud. Would imagine the resort will at some point tile, rock or lay some other foundation for the chairs and probably add some more shade to the pool area. This pool and beach beyond are the focal points for the breakfast and lunch buffet plus a couple a la cartes. We were offered drinks regularly both on the beach and around the pool. The beach was beautiful to lie out on and always lots of shade. The water was rocky though and a short walk was required for clear entering. There is no shortage of public baths and they were always immaculate.

Staff and housekeeping: We never had problems with any services. Our room was very clean, fresh towels daily, mini bar and snacks replenished. All employees were very friendly. We were regularly offered drinks when laying out. All service for meals was good to excellent. We were brought champagne on our anniversary. On another occasion we had started walking back from the commercial center when it started raining and than pouring. A golf cart stopped to pick us up and on the way to bldg 71 stopped at the front area and grabbed towels for us, nice touch… The carts should have plastic for the sides when raining. The bars used only name brand liquor. Often the bottle was brought and poured tableside so you saw what you were getting.

Butler: We had the same experience as the rest. Our butler came the first day and we never saw him again. He did write his name and number down and in his defense we are very low maintenance and made our restaurant reservations through the concierge. We never had reason to call him.

Meals: For all meals we had good to excellent service. The tablecloths were replaced after each occupant nice not to have stains and crumbs from the previous diners. All buffets and a la cartes are air conditioned and smoke free. The lobby area with bar and theatre are also air conditioned.

Breakfast seemed small when compared to other resorts but I can’t think of anything that was missing. We did find the buffet food that should have been hot, not. We tried precooked waffles and pancakes one day and they were not hot. Another day we were offered freshly cooked pancakes, which were very good. Think all the “hot” foods should be cooked at time of ordering. The occupancy was low at this time and the food was sitting to long.

Lunch: I found the lunch choices we tried all delicious. Fahitas, juicy kobe burgers, shrimp, lobster, fries and a very good tornado steak. When we weren’t very hungry a slice of pizza from the buffet hit the spot. The service was good and the view was great.

Dinner: We tried all 4 al la cartes. The Surf and Turf was our favorite followed by the Japanese. We tried the buffet one night, the theme was Italian and it was OK. The dress for evening was officially long pants and sleeved shirts for men. We saw everything from jeans to cocktail type dresses.

I read all the reviews prior to our trip and printed them and re-read them while we were there. Our experience was so much like the majority of other reviewers I can’t add much new information but just echo some of the good and the very few spots that need improvement. I would definitely recommend this resort and may someday return myself. I haven’t yet returned to a resort because I like to experience new resorts and new areas. I don’t think the other Iberostars would interest me as this one being adults only certainly has an edge. This resort is probably one of the best resorts in the Mayan area when considering service, beach, and food. I have visited Palace resorts and Excellence and both of these chains are well run. I will be checking out these 2 chains for future trips.

• Liked — Beautiful, well equipped, spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Air conditioning temperature could have gone cooler
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

This is the first review I have ever submitted to TripAdvisor, although I have used the site for years. I felt compelled to tell everyone what a great time my wife and I had at the Grand Paraiso.

The food, the service, the activities, the room, and the overall experience was top notch. Everyone went out of their way to be accommodating and friendly which makes all the difference. Having stayed at Four Seasons and Ritz Hotels before, I would put this property right up there. As someone who would not necessarily opt for
the all-inclusive, we were very pleased with the quality of the food.
Each day the meals were modified slightly enough to not feel like you
were eating the same thing every day. The head chef went out of his way to guide and make suggestions on the cuisine, especially the native dishes. The resort itself is beautiful – you are right on the water. Nothing better than being poolside with a beautiful view of the ocean. The pool itself is very modern and has a good vibe of activity, yet not a ridiculous scene.

As you plan to get away for any reason, definitely consider this resort. Our trip was so enjoyable that the best thank you we give the
people at the Grand is to share our experience with others.

Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

My husband and I just returned from The Grand and had the time of our life. From the moment you walk into the lobby, you are blown away by the decorating of this place. You are greeted with a welcome drink (champagne or a fruity drink). Check-in is done very quickly and then you're whisked away to your room by the bellboy. He shows you to your room, unloads your luggage in your room and lets you know that your butler will be by within 5 minutes to greet you and tell you about your room.

Our butler stopped by shortly after the bellboy dropped us off. We had enough time to check out our view and be in amazement as to how large the suite was (kind size bed, large TV, separate his and her sides of the bathroom, a safe, mini bar, two closets, a sitting area and desk, and a large balcony with a sofa and a wicker (cushioned) swing. Our room alone was amazing! Our butler (Rudolfo) was great. If we needed anything special, we just had to call on him and he would get it for us. If we wanted something special in our mini bar, we just needed to write it down on a piece of paper and leave it for him. When we would arrive back in our room, what we asked for.....we received. They bring ice to your room daily and there are two ice machines on each floor if you need more or yours has already melted. The pillow menu (offering 6 different pillows) was not offered to us as we checked in, but our butler told us our menu was in our room (in their book of information on the desk) and if we preferred something else to let him know and he would take care of getting it for us. We ended up loving the pillows that came in the room, so never asked for anything else. I will say that the bed is incredible. Usually when you vacation, you can't wait to get home to your own bed, but my husband and I are finding it hard to even sleep in our own bed anymore. We were spoiled by their bed. The mattress was SO comfortable and you couldn't even feel when the other person moved. The sheets were so soft and comfortable. If anyone ever finds out how to get them (they're an Iberostar brand), please let me know. :)

We had maid service twice a day. Once in the morning to make the bed, empty trash, fresh towels, etc... and once at night to turn down our bed, put chocolates on our pillows, empty trash again, and get fresh towels once again, etc.... We always felt well taken care of.

There is a Concierge in each building that is willing to do anything for you. They made all of our dinner reservations for us, mailed out some postcards, answered a ton of questions, etc....

There are three pools. The main pool is nice and deep all the way through and has a swim up bar. I'm 5'4" and the water was up to my neck. There is a serenity pool that is about 3.5 feet deep and an indoor, heated pool in the spa area that is also 3.5 foot deep. Each pool offers one or more jacuzzis and plenty of lounging (with real plush cushions....something nice you would buy for your own patio....which none of the other Iberostar hotels on the property have).

They offer a ton of activities throughout the day. They offer sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, snorkeling, and diving lessons, tennis lessons, a reading room, internet room, pool tables, and game tables. You receive a daily newspaper, can have a wake-up call (ok, so you don't really need this unless you have an early flight on your last day and are afraid you won't wake up in time), and the bellboys outside the entrance will take you wherever you want in their golf cart on any of the 5 properties. Your room has plenty of toiletries (shower cap, sewing kit, bath salts, several kinds of bar soap, shower gel, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, a dryer, iron and ironing board, safe (a nice digital combination one), mini bar, hangers (12 nice wooden ones) to hang your clothes on, plenty of towels, slippers, robes, and the list goes on. :) They have a gym that has very upscale equipment with two flat screen TV's, a stereo, and water. There is a spa on the property, but it does cost extra.

They offer nightly shows where you can get something to drink and they offer popcorn to eat. We stayed 5 nights, so saw 5 shows and were entertained by each of them.

The food is amazing! For breakfast and lunch they offer a menu and a buffet. You can go to the buffet and also order from the menu or do just one or the other. Rodrigo is the head chef in The Grand and greeted every day for breakfast and lunch, explaining what the new items were on the buffet. He would also make whatever you wanted. If you had something one day, but they didn't offer it the next day, you just had to ask for it and you would receive. It was unbelievable! There are four restaurants on this property for dinner, which is served between 6:30pm and 9:00pm (Gourmet, Japanese, Surf and Turf, and Italian). The only requirement is that men where pants to dinner. You can eat at any of the restaurants on any of the other Iberostar properties, but be warned that none of them are as amazing as the ones you'll go to at The Grand. We had a chance to eat at the Steakhouse and at the Mexican (the authentic one.....not the Tex Mex one). Both were great!

Room service is offered 24 hours, but other items are offered throughout the day at certain times with only specific foods offered 24 hours. When your bed is turned down in the evening, you'll receive a card where you can order breakfast in your room (you just fill it out and stick it on your door and it will be served at the time you specify).

You'll see the Star Friends everywhere and they are all friendly! Our favorites are Jonathan, Alex, , Marcelo, and Edwardo. Our favorite waiter (whom we saw at breakfast and at the Surf and Turf restaurant) is Mayo. Everyone is so great at remembering your name. At times, you feel like you're the only one there (granted we went during a slow season, so it wasn't fully booked or anything). :)

There are bathrooms on each floor, not to mention outside and in the lobby and none of them are alike and all are just as incredible as the last. They have thought of everything and their attention to detail has blown us away (yes, with even the bathrooms). :)

I definitely wouldn't say you needed to get an Oceanfront room. We just had a "run of the mill" room as they call it and had a great view of the enclosed pool, but could also see the ocean from our balcony. The ocean wasn't too far from the rooms, so it wasn't like we had to walk far to get to it.

This resort is all inclusive so tips are not necessary. I will say that we didn't feel our service got better when we did tip, but the expression on their faces when you trip (pure gratitude) made it worth our while. I highly recommend taking a lot of $1's and maybe some $5's and making someone's day. We learned that our shuttle bus driver makes on $20 a day (for 8 hours). He used to make $12 a day (for 16 hours) before he got a job with Apple Vacations. For instance, we tipped our maid $5 a day. When you look at it, it was $25 for the time we were there and we couldn't even go to a decent restaurant where we live and both of us eat one dinner for that amount. They certainly don't expect a tip, but their expression when you tip says it all.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to answer any questions you have or share some photos.

• Liked — THe service
  • Disliked — I can't think of a thing
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!