“The Best Hotel We have ever stayed at in Mexico!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 30% Off + Credit
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Houston, Texas
“The Best Hotel We have ever stayed at in Mexico!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

We have traveled to Mexco over 30 times and we always stay at a beach front hotel/resort. There is no comparison, this is a hotel above all that we have stayed at in the past. Great price and 5 STAR! It started when I emailed the hotel to ask a question, they replied to me within 24 hours and continuously answered any minor questions I had. Our 8 night stay ended Nov.22, 2010.
We stayed in a swim up jacuzzi suite and and it was perfect. Clean, cold AC, they changed the sheets every day, walk out the back door and into your pool, sit there for a few minutes and a nice lady will bring you a drink or you can swim down the river to the swin-up bar.
The food is gourmet everywhere including the great room service.
I have never seen so many nice people everywhere work so hard to make us feel at home. Oh, and the beds were so confortable.
The 4 reviews below ours are more detailed so I won't wast the time of repeating all the positives but we didn't have any negatives except for Leo out front of the hotel when we were leaving.
We have already planed our trip back in April 2011.
Wow, we already miss the wonderful food, drinks service etc. Charles in Houston

5,730 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,412)
nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010 via mobile

Returned home to heaps of snow, but we don't care one bit as we have had a fantastic two weeks. My husband and I planned this trip with two great friends and we all agreed it was everything we expected and more. I can echo all the positive things that have been said in other reviews, staff helpful and friendly, grounds clean and always being maintained, fabulous setting and resort. We had a casitas room and we are sure this was well worth the extra we paid. Our pool was quiet although we spent a lot of time on the beach, so peaceful and the breeze welcome in the heat. The pool butlers always came around to offer drinks and the trolley guys bringing around water, papers snacks and icepops were lovely. They even took time to play the guys at the garden chess set.
We did have a couple of niggles with room service plates not being cleared but it's fair to say everything we mentioned to staff they sorted and made good. We were disappointed some of the restaurants were shut due to low numbers at the hotel, but again this was explained to us. Everyone will have their own views regarding food, but we enjoyed room service breakfast looking out to sea from the balcony. Jo jos made a real effort for my husbands birthday which again shows how great the staff were.
We are usually ready to come home after two weeks, but for the first time I can say none if us wanted to leave. Heaven, amazing, wonderful paradise.

• Stayed November 2010
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

My husband and I spent 5 nights at EDR in the beginning of November. We had a wonderful time and definitely didn't feel 5 nights was enough. The grounds are immaculate, the rooms are beautiful, the staff is amazing, and the food is awesome! I cannot say enough about this resort! I read some negative reviews before we came and have a hard time believing these people stayed at the same resort. Book it - You won't be sorry!

Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

I recently returned from a week at the El Dorado Royale and found it to be an outstanding property for the area of the Mayan. It is truly a solid 5 star hotel as there are many that get the designation however fall short on the delivery of services.
One thing important to note is that this property is designed along the beach which means that the distance from even the furthest room from the ocean is no more than 3 mins. They do have shuttles that run every 15 mins for those who need it. We stayed at the far end of the beach and the walk to the main lobby was about 5 mins. Some people complained about the distance however it really isn't something which affected our stay.
If you are in a room category which gives you the ability to make reservations do it on the first day you arrive. Even during the off-season you can wait on average 30 mins to be seated. That being said, there is a bar not far and they will give you a beeper for when your table is ready.
Beach? Not really but that is quite common in this area as they are trying to bring it back from the hurricane which came through a few years ago. The casitas are on the hotel side of the retaining wall which are fantastic place to lie in peace and read a book. They are made semi-private with a curtain you can dray on each side. Most people tended to stay by the many pools which are amazing.
Food... these hotels pride themselves on Gourmet Inclusive which translates to some of the highest standards of not only presentation but most importantly... taste. Portion sizes are not huge but this gives you a chance to try a little bit of everything.
If you get tired of sitting by the pool there are may on-site activities to take advantage of and the eventing entertainment is actually quite impressive. The hotel also provides free shuttle service to both Playa Del Carmen and Cancun during the week.
This property is great for couples and wedding groups because of it's size and beachfront. That being said, it is also a good resort for singles who want the option of peace and quite with the opportunity to hang out at bar or the martini lounge with others and not feel out of place.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

The El-Dorado Royale could quite possibly be the best hotel we have ever stayed in! Having spent the past two weeks at the resort, we can’t wait to return with freinds. Everything about this hotel is fantastic. The food is out of this world, staff are superb, the facilities exceptional; indeed the only let down is the behaviour of other guests and the smelly rooms! We enjoyed the hotel so much that I make no appology for the length of this review as I think it deserves it.

After a long flight from London we were welcomed with a glass of champagne in the large marble lobby area. Check in was quick and the receptionist took time to explain the layout of the hotel before arranging for the bell boy to collect our luggage and whisk us to our suite.
We paid for a garden view jaccuzi suite and quite frankly, I think these are better than any of the sea view or swim up suites. There really aren’t any decent sea views and I never once saw anyone use the swim up channels. Indeed, the gardens are stunning and offer a much better view than any of the other rooms. Nevertheless as some people have pointed out, the room was damp and smelt very musky. To rid the room of the smell one has to keep the air conditioning on permanently despite this the smell does get into your clothes! The rooms are average in size but have enourmous super kingsize beds which are very comfortable indeed. The rooms also have a large jaccuzi with both the bed and jaccuzi being surrounded in white drapes. This provides the room with a very romantic feel. Within a wardrobe is located the TV and mini bar. The TV has about thirty or so channels with several movie channels as well as CNN, BBC World news etc. There are also a number of foreign speaking channels. I think the TV could do with a lot more channels though. The mini bar is small and stocked with water, coke, sprite and beers. This is refilled daily and a request to the concierge will ensure it is stocked with what you want. The contents are also part of the all-inclusive package. The rooms also have a large four doored wardrobe to provide ample storage. There is also a dressing table with mirror, table and two chairs and plenty of American plug sockets. The bathrooms were large, some rooms offer twin sinks and all have large walk in showers and seperate WC’s. Not many toiletries on offer though, just shampoo, conditioner, body cream and some soap. This could do with improving. The hairdrier privided is fairly powerful and I would suggest if your are British, that you use this as opposed to bringing your own due to the voltage difference. The rooms were cleaned daily with the occaisional turn down service. Also, towels are changed daily and all the bed sheets are clean.

There are several good quality restaurants on offer. During our stay Fuentes and the Mexican snack bar were closed. The Italian was good, very dissaponted with the lobster lasagne though that everyone else raves about. I thought it was stodgey and bland. The Chocolate Surprise was out of this world as well as the stuffed chicken. Kampai (Chinese) was probably the best. Ask for a variety of Sushi to start, you will be impressed I promise. Cocotals offer by far the best breakfast and for the evening the restaurant is probably the most romantic although the food here was a bit bland. Jo Jo’s is great for lunch, ask for the Flank Steak with a side of shrimps, this was lovely. They also offer fresh (live) lobster for an additional fee, this pleased the Americans but we thought it a bit cruel. La Isla offers a good alternative for breakfast and an excellent selection for lunch. This does not open in the evenings though. We never tried La Fondue as we found the staff here to be a bit pompous and Fondu went out in the seventies! We also never tried the Casitas Italian but were told that this was the best. The snack bar by La Isla pool was a bit poor in what they offered but the salads seemed okay. We were very impressed with the room service which also forms part of the all inclusive package. We tried this on one day that it rained and they did an excellent burger. There are no buffets other than breakfast at Cocotals and La Isla. All the food is Al la Carte and of five star quality. I thought it a shame that there was no designated Mexican restaurant. This would have been a nice and popular choice.

The hotel has several bars dotted about, I would recommend the Martini bar and the bar by Jo Jo’s the staff here are very good indeed. All the drinks are of premium quality and they are very generous in their servings. I found the Fuentes bar to be too busy and too noisy for my liking, although this is where the evening entertainment is located. We watched one show and it seemed okay but it was spoilt by some American guests who felt the need to shout all the way through it.

In terms of pools and beach, we only went to La Isla pool as this was supposed to be the quiet one. This so called quiet was routinely spoilt by loud and obnoxius Americans who spent hours blocking the swim up bar getting drunk, whooping and ‘ye-haring’ all day long. The pools however have plenty of sunbeds including plenty of large sheltered double beds. There are indeed more than enough, which is why I failed to see the need for ‘certain guests’ to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve them with towels. I don’t wish to dwell on the subject, but the Americans really annoyed us. Not only would they reserve sunbeds and shout and scream by the bar, but they also played Country and Western music at full volume all day to the general annoyance of everyone. They were incredibly rude to staff, even making a point of tipping them with soggy wet notes that they dipped in the pool. Some solace was found on the beach however. Again there were plenty of sunbeds and sheltered double beds available. The sand is a little coarse in places but not as bad as some reviews state. The sea is lovely and warm with little fish that swim up between your legs. Great for snorkelling. The sand bags didn’t bother us at all. Indeed you can walk out on them to see the fish and they break up the waves to ensure calmer shallows. Staff regularly come round to offer you drinks both at the pools and by the beach. Any quiet on the beach is broken daily at 1pm when the yanks come out to play beach volley ball. Still it did provide us with some entertainment!

The resort isn’t as big as some people say. You can easily walk from one end to the other in 15 minutes or so. There are little golf buggys on offer should you want to be lazy however the grounds are stunning and it’s far better to walk about and take in the views. We often came accross large iguanas that would sit and watch as you walk by. The best part of this hotel is the staff. They really cannot do enough for you. They are constantly on hand and are always freindly. All speak good English and contrary to popular opinion, none expect to be tipped, however the service is so good, you feel compelled to.

Downsides are the smelly rooms and loud Americans. I would recommend not staying anywhere near the Fuentes pool as this is particularly noisy. We had to move rooms a couple of days in due to the constant beat of dance music coming from the pool all day long. You are far better off staying towards the Casitas end as it is a lot quieter. We tried the Spa which was excellent although extremely expensive. Also, the shops in the hotel are good but again extremely expensive. We got exactly the same souveniers on a trip to Chichen Itza for a fraction of the price. We weren’t bothered by a single Timeshare rep; they seemed to concentrate solely on the American guests. More gullable than us savvy brits I guess. For those that are interested there is free WiFi available, snorkelling and non powered watersports are all free indeed almost everything is included.
On the whole, we loved this hotel. I just think that the management should enforce a few rules. No reserving sunbeds, quiet behaviour around the quiet pool and definatlely no shorts and flip flops in the restaurants during the evenings would be a start.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

I can not express enough how great El Dorado way. Hands down it was the best all inclusive I have ever been to and cant wait to go back. We had about 50 of our friends and family head down to Mexico and most are seasoned travelers, everyone loved it! The service is top notch, the food was out of this world and the grounds are so well kept. I know others have mentioned this, but of course you dont go to Riviera Maya for the beautiful water so I dont know why people were complaining about the beach.

Stayed November 2010
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

My girlfriend and I decided to take a trip away at the end of the summer to for our birthdays and anniversary. After searching across the entire trip advisory website, we settled on the Royale. We went for a long weekend at the end of the summer, and I use settle lightly as we did anything but settle I would recommend this hotel to any and ALL my friends. The weather was gorgeous all weekend (OK not the hotels doing but still I am mentioning it), we had one rain storm the first day for an hour and a half, at lunch time, and we decided to go eat rather than hit the beach. Regardless of the weather the hotel was amazing.
The grounds were absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed walking around the hotel whenever we could. We had a great time checking out the local flora and fauna (lizards on the grounds and fish at the beach, more to come on the beach later). The rooms were fantastic, we chose what would be considered the “cheap” room. If you call marble floors, a balcony WITH hammock, a giant hot tub in the room, and a king sized four post bed cheap. Obviously we don’t so we thought the rooms were beautiful and just the thing to come back to after we were done with our day. People have mentioned that the floors were slippery in the room. Well it’s MARBLE what do you expect, wear the slippers they provide you and you will be fine.
The staff was so friendly and I’m not sure if it was us being friendly towards them, but if that is the case I will say this, a smile and a greeting in Spanish went a LONG way and a tip every now and then didn’t hurt either. Bartenders were great and we got to know a few of them after awhile, a quick and good tip in the morning kept the drinks flowing quickly all afternoon, and they usually made the mixed drinks stronger with a tip. The wait staff was unbelievable; our waitress on the beach would keep an eye on our drinks and would get us a refill if she saw we were running low. And when it came to the restaurants, every waiter was extremely polite and easy going. They ALL really made out vacation that much more enjoyable.
The meals were amazing, morning, noon, and night, we rotated through as many of the restaurants as we could and each one was more enjoyable than the last, the portions were small though so I would recommend ordering multiples of every course. Once we figured that out it made the meals even better because now instead of choosing which entre we wanted we just tried one of each on the menu. The waiters also expect this and will even offer to put in two orders for you (take them up on the offer, trust me!!)
The beach was beautiful to say the least. While it was extremely hot so we didn’t stay for long. It was so nice to get out away from the parties in the pools and just relax. The water was crystal clear and while there “whales” just out in the water (giant sand bags used to protect the beaches from erosion), they didn’t seem to bother us at all, and in fact the whales created pools to go for a swim in that were not impacted by the waves. The fish were great as they crowded around you when you went in. Always fun to have an entourage, even if they had gills and fins. At night after the parties were done, we had the luck to be there during turtle hatching season, which meant that the hotel would allow the guests to help set the baby turtles that they had incubated free in the water. This alone was a once in a lifetime experience that always is something I will remember.
The nightlife is one of the few things that some would say was lacking at the hotel. It might have been because we went during the off season, but it never seemed to get too crowded and hopping at any point. While some people would say this is a bad thing, we spend a lot of time in Philly and NYC so it was a nice change of pace to NOT have to wait 30 minutes for an overpriced drink. Plus we went to relax not party. They do have the option to take a shuttle into downtown Cancun if you are looking for something more exciting.
All in all we loved the trip and we are planning on going back in the future. From everyone we spoke to while we were there, it seems like THAT plan is the consensus. If you want a completely carefree vacation that meets your expectations and blows many of them out of the water, then the Royale is the place to be.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!