“Incredible honeymoon - couldnt not have expected such perfection!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Leicester
“Incredible honeymoon - couldnt not have expected such perfection!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We spent 17 nights at El Dorado Casita Royale in April 2010 for our honeymoon and it was absolute bliss, it was so perfect we only left the resort once the entire time we were there! The first thing you notice is the staff and how friendly they are as well as how big the resort is. The size isn't an issue though as they have golf carts taking you up and down the resort all day which is great in the heat.

The room we stayed in was a Casita suite which had an indoor jacuzzi, a wet room as a bathroom and a fantastic view right near an outdoor pool. The patio has an outdoor bed which is fab to relax on. The indoor bed was large and comfy covered in a very romantic mosquito type net.

About 6 days in the rain set in for three days but it wasn't a problem as we passed our time with the spa, massages, dvd's and restaurants! The only problem we did find with the rain was we were on the ground floor and we had an ant infestation in the bathroom. Our personal concierge were unable to clear this even after they had the defumigator come round (they have one on site) so they very kindly upgraded us to an Infinity Pool Casita Suite room for free which was on the 'newer' side of the resort, and it was upstairs. Just when we thought this place couldn't be any more perfect, we realised our new room was perfect for us as we were on our honeymoon and wanted some privacy. This room had again an indoor jacuzzi but also the most incredible outdoor shower which is great when the sun is scorching down on you! The interior of this room was much more modern and a mosquito net wasn't required as we were on the top floor. There was also a pool attached to the room too, which wasn't too big but enough for two to relax and sunbathe in - it's perfect for when the heat is on you.

The Infinity Pool Swim Up's are only good if you want to socialise and meet other couples but this isn't the type of resort for a lads holidays or meeting large groups of people. It's a very romantic resort and if you want peace and relaxation after planning a crazy wedding, then go for the rooms upstairs and ideally the Infinity Pool Casita Suite!

The restaurants are outstanding! Our favourite was definitely Kampai (Japanese) and D' Italia, and as a snack the Healthy Bar but all were of exceptional standard - true gourmet. Our standard evening meal consisted of at least five courses and we both managed to lose weight even though we eat loads! It's very healthy and the quality of food is top notch. On more than one occasion we eat at one restaurant early evening then went on to a second later in the evening - the beauty of a fantastic all inclusive!

Room service was gourmet too and it's 24 hours. When they deliver it to your room they ensure they have set up the table properly with all condiments placed correctly. The staff are incredibly attentive and seat you before they leave.

The beach is owned by the resort and if you stay in the Casita suites you will have exclusive use of the bed lounges on the beach. They have beach butlers too who bring you any drinks you like all day long and because it's all inclusive they don't expect you to carry money so you don't need to leave a tip. In fact you wont need to leave tips at all unless you have exceptional service, as the final bill includes the service charge. The beach/swimming pool butlers also bring you sun tan lotion and they were happy to leave the bottles behind too for you!

The resort has an onsite doctor and if you do need any medicine it will be with you within an hour. There are a few gift shops too which aren't too expensive.

If there had to be a negative from our honeymoon it would only have to be a sales tour we went on, which was a sales pitch to invest in the resort. Believe me, unless you really want to invest and have money to blow, go for it, otherwise, it's 2 hours of sunbathing and relaxation that you don't get back!! On the flip side, the same day we went on the tour, we were upgraded for free - we wern't sure if they thought we would invest!!

Thankfully, due to the volcanic ash cloud we had a few extra days and we absolutely loved every extra bonus day! The standard of service will really stand out for you. We would definitely visit El Dorado Spa Resorts again, probably on a special anniversary because it really is an exclusive place with some treasured memories.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,568)
Gainesville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

This was a beautiful all inclusive resort, with beautiful rooms, and a very friendly staff of the people who worked hard, but that is where my praise ends. This is a spa resort, but if you plan on using the spa, do not go there.
If you are planning on using the spa at this resort, they request that you make your reservations before you arrive, but their internal communication is so poor that they will likely not know that you made these reservations before hand, and if you are there for a short amount of time, they will not have the space to accomidate you
I went to this resort for a destination wedding for my sister and as a vacation. My sister paid for and schedualled everything for the wedding in advance including: the bridesmaids updoes, massages for the mothers of bride and groom, couples massages, candle lit dinners, and other events for the wedding party. When we got there, the spa did not have any of these events schedualled or shown as paid, and many of the bridesmades got charged an extra 80 dollars for their hair. It took several visits to the front desk to get all these charges fixed. Ahead of time, we also reserved the bridal suite at the spa to prepare for the wedding that day. When we got to the spa with all of our bags and dresses to get our hair done, and use the suite, they told my sister that they had no record of her reserving the suite. They also told her that even though nobody else was using it, we still could not use it because my sister had to have at least 3 services for herself done even though she was paying for over ten services for the brides maids and mothers that day. It took requesting to speak to the manager, and a long conversation with her about how much money my sister was spending before we were grugeinly allowed to use it.
Aside from all of these mistakes on their part, When I checked in they said they wanted to take an imprint of my debit card in case I wanted anything charged to the room. I asked them if they would charge my card, because I only had $30 in that account at the time, they said that nothing would be charged without my written approval. When I got home, I saw that I had $180 of overdraft fees because although they did not charge anything, they put a hold of $500 on my account which caused overdraft fees, which they did not tell me.

I do not recomend using this resort if you want to do any sort of activities through the resort, or the spa because you will not be happy.

• Stayed May 2010
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

I just got back from my friends' wedding. This is a beautiful place to go if you are getting married or on your honeymoon; however, expect to get treated like a second class citizen if you are single, and don't go here if you are not comfortable being single. My single friend and I were sharing a room as we were the only single people going to the wedding. We reserved a double bed junior jacuzzi suite. After waiting almost 4 hours to get our room (we checked in at 2:30 and we were told every 30 minutes that our room would be ready in 30 minutes until 6:00p and then it wasn't when we got there), it was a single bed. As we were not comfortable sharing a bed, we called the front desk and waited even longer to get a double room. After several phone calls and a few tears, we were upgraded to an "ocean view" room for our troubles, except you couldn't really see the ocean from the room. Any communication from the office that was left in our room had "Mr. and Mrs." on it. If that wasn't annoying enough, our room keys were deactivitated on a daily basis, and Lomas called our room promptly at 9a every day asking if we were going to go on any excursions. I have no intentions on ever returning to this resort. Yes, it is beautiful...but I paid just as much money as every couple there, but was treated like I was no one. I can give two thumbs up to the food as long as you stay away from Fuentes...was not impressed with them.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
l0ndon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

My husband and i stayed at the all inclusive Eldorado Royale end of April 2010. Wow what a wonderful place. Beach was lovely, great for snorkelling and not to busy, plenty of sunbeds and shade if you wanted it. The pools were great and very clean, again plenty of sunbeds and cabanas to lounge on. A good selection of restaurants, our favourite was Jojo's. Food presentation excellent, 5-8 courses if you wanted.Staff at all restaurants were very welcoming couldn't do enough for you. Plenty of bars including the swim up ones ( fantastic) pino coladas all round wonderful. All international and local spirits, wine, champagne and beers available. Entertainment was great every evening, a different show etc.The grounds of the resort were immaculate, well looked after and tranquil. Our suite was superb, just perfect. our Maid Marta, looked after us so well (thankyou). Cute little models of dogs and things made from towels fantastic. Rose petals on the bed along with flowers amazing. Thankyou to our personal concierge Sully who made our stay hassle free. We also met some wonderful people here of whom we have stayed in touch with. We could not have wanted for anymore it was the most relaxing holiday ever we cant wait to go back.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I recently spent 4 nights in this resort at the Casitas in a swim up suite. I had previously stayed here very briefly 3 years ago and was looking forward to experiencing the resort again to see if there had been significant changes.

The grounds are still beautiful and lush. Resort is huge which I am sure appeals to some but I found it way too large for my own tastes.

Check in was friendly and efficient. I was surprised that this resort charges for internet, pretty rare these days. I needed it so I paid the $15 a day. Service in the room was really slow and sporadic. It was better in the lobby - still for a fee.

My suite was comfortable and housekeeping was good. The balcony was pretty crowded with the amount of furniture out there but I really did not have much time to use it. Their bath products are really nice and I liked the outdoor shower. The water in the showers and sinks is really salty, something I have not noticed in other properties in this area.

This resort bills itself as a gourmet inclusive. I had breakfast twice in Kampai which was good and in the buffet once, also good. Dinners were quite average with no meals standing out as anything special.

Room service is available but limited. I wanted a cheese plate one evening when I did not care for the meal I was served at Kampai and was told there was a $45 fee as I could only get a cheese plate as part of a package that included wine. I did not want the wine nor did I want to pay $45 for cheese so I skipped it. I found that silly.

You cannot order alcoholic drinks to your room and bottled water was not available at the beach or pool. I was told I had to to go one of the pools and then I could get a glass of water. I prefer bottled water in Mexico so I learned to bring my own from my room since it was not available at pool or beach. For a 5 star resort and as a guest in one of the most expensive room categories, I found the bottled water, no drinks to the room and cheese plate situation a bit ridiculous.

Gym at Casita section was small and had only one weight bench, some free weights and about 8 cardio machines. Spa looked nice but I did not try it.

Service overall was good but it was very hard to get into the more popular restaurants without a reservation. The wait was over an hour at the Italian (two of us tried to go there for dinner after not caring for the food at another of the restaurants on property). Since only Casita guests can make reservations, I believe the long lines were those attempting to get a table without benefit of a reservation.

This was also the only time I have stayed in this area where I ended up with a nasty case of Montezuma's revenge that lasted several days after I returned home.

The beach was rocky and not good for walking or swimming. The towel game was in full force at the pools - annoying.

I did have the opportunity to spend time at EDSS and EDM and liked them both very much! I plan to stay at EDM on my next visit to Mexico as it was beautiful and more my style.

El Dorado Royale is not a resort I would return to.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

This was an amazing holiday from start to finish. Being greeted with a towel and champagne on arrival until departure. Everything was so easy and stress free. Drinks selection at all bars was very good with top shelf acohol. Food amazing especially Kampai, which was unbelievable. Try all the restaurants and experiment we both did and it paid off, I had egg curry for breakfast one morning in Kampai, maybe not something I would do normally but the quality of food was fab. We had to wait for 30mins or so for 2 restaurants over a 2 week vacation, big deal we just sat in the bars chilled out and drank the free cocktails, such a hard life, so do not be put off. The staff were cleaning/maintaining/repairing what seemed to be 24/7 and the result is near perfection. It is worth while having one dollar notes for tipping, this is certainly not expected though. We took a few trips:
Xel Ha - Well worth it great day out but do this alone and not in conjuntion with any other trips. Take biodegradable sun cream as non is not allowed and costs when your their. This place is great for snorkeling, and chilling out.
Chichen itza - long day out but worth while, we took the deluxe trip which basically cut down travel from 4 hours to 2 hours so spend the extra. Open space with little shade so it does get hot.
Playa del carmen - dont go in the day although beach quite nice. This place is buzzing in the eve and well worth a look. Dont bother going to Cozumel unless you are playing to do activities, we went for a walk around and was not worth the boat crossing.
Dolphins (Dolphinus) - We did the 8.30 slot so up early but I would reccomend especially if you have kids. Photos and videos are ridiculously expensive so be prepared.

Thomas Cook bar crawl Co Co Bongo - Just do it and if not go to Cancun and go to Coco bongo, fun evening!!

All in all a fabulous place to come a great team of staff who make the holiday top class!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Staff was awesome! Some ala carte's better than others! Recommend the upgrade to the Casita's they are beautiful. We origianally stayed in Jacuzzi suite but upgraded to Casita's. And yes you do get preferencial treatment with the casita's and rightfully so for the extra $$ you pay. Beach is average due to big sand bags in view due to damaged reefs from hurricane. We are not pool people so spent all our time on the beach, but casita's all have there own pool with swim up bar.

Beach chairs are hard to find. A good chair is impossible! They should replace almost all of there beach chairs! Also did not see them groom the beach at all! Some garbage was lying around on the beach, but not much.

You cannot reserve chairs until after 7:00 AM. If you try before they will confiscate your towel and belongings. I almost had to throw down with a granny who stole our chairs when we went for lunch one day, but she could probably take me so I though better of it. lol!

Our Jacuzzi suite had a terrible plumbing system. Very noisy thus our upgrade! Bed in the Jacuzzi was like sleeping on a rock again thus our upgrade.

Food was fantastic in most ala carte rest. I hated the "La Fondu". Italian and Japanese were awesome. Ordered room service our first night and was not impressed with quality! Never ordered again!

You can get premium alcohol but have to ask for it! My wife really enjoyed the house red wine! There are some upgrade things that cost. ie. Better wines, Lobster dinner! No real seafood to talk about which was disappointing.

Conceirge was helpful but has one thing in mind when you first arrive....get you to the Exotic club speel/timeshare. We received some spa vouchers so we went. I will leave this for you to decide.

We are going back to Maroma in th fall! Beaches there are awesome as we toured it during our stay at Royale!

Michelle & Rob
Edmonton, Canada

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!