“Amazing vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
“Amazing vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2004

Like most, I avidly read the reviews to find the perfect place to vacation and was impressed by the number of great reviews the EDR received. We were not disappointed the place is paradise and we will definitely return next year. I can't believe the bad reviews they must have been staying somewhere else!

We visited the EDR the first week in September and had the best vacation ever. My husband and I are originally from the UK and it was great to find us in a largely European resort. If you like a fairly small resort, adults only, with a friendly atmosphere and want to relax and be pampered this is the place for you.

Rooms - We had an oceanfront suite and the room and bathroom were a good size and very clean. The jacuzzi tub is wonderful after a day at the beach and the bubble bath they supply smells great. A few things in the room were in need of a little maintenance (light fitting in the bathroom was loose and a small damp patch on the wall probably from next doors Jacuzzi), but nothing that affected our stay and we were not in the room a lot to notice. The maid service was good and our room was cleaned, towels resupplied, sheets changed and bed made every day. They come at various times during the day so if you want your room done early just leave the sign on the door. There is a slight smell to the back of the property sometimes, but I think itwas just swap and jungle smells. It never offended us to the extent some reviews are saying and if I had not read about it I probably wouldn't have noticed it.

Service - All the staff at the EDR are friendly, helpful and the majority speak English (our Spanish is minimal, but when in Mexico you should try - they found our attempts amusing, which added to the fun). Our special thanks for making our stay memorable and fun go to Raul at Jo Jo's and Pedro at the beach bar. The service and attention to detail was great, yes sometimes service was a little slow, but you are on vacation and when sat looking at the wonderful view do you really want to be rushed? I much prefer to take an hour or two over a 3 course a la carte dinner and know it has been prepared and cooked to order just for me. Gratuity is included in the all-inclusive package, but we took about $50 US in dollar bills and tipped the best waiters, barpersons and maids. These guys all worked so hard to serve they deserved a little extra.

Food - The food was excellent and the portions were just right. Living in the USA means you get use to large portions, but the portion size meant we could enjoy all three courses including the yummy desserts. We tried all the restaurants except the Italian which we get too much of at home so wanted a change. Our favorites for dinner and lunch were Jo Jo's and the Oriental, and breakfast at La Isla is best - try the eggs benedict. As always it depends upon your taste, but even the pizza's (which we had for lunch a couple of times) from the woodfire stove were excellent. From the reviews I have read it sounds like the people who complained about the food had very specific requirements and wanted food exactly like they have at home!

Beach - We had an oceanfront suite and the view of the beach and sound of the waves from our balcony were so enjoyable (Warning - careful not to lock yourself out on your balcony, if you shut the patio door your on your own until you can flag a passing golf cart! I hadn't even over indulged on the cocktails). Most mornings we would take a couple of slices of bread from breakfast to the beach and feed the fish, wade in to your waist by the pier and you will be surrounded they will take it right out of your fingers. The sandbags look slightly like beached whales, but make excellent seats when you are out snorkeling around and an abundance of sealife lives under and around them. A staff member tells me the sandbags are there to keep and add to the sand on the beach and that in a few years any remaining rocks and coral will be covered. We went to the beach every day and always found a place in the shade to relax and read there are plenty available and you only have to get up early to reserve one of the curtained cabanas.

Bars - the service and the drinks are excellent. We frequented the beach bar at night and the health bar (non-alcoholic) during the day. At the health bar the tropical smoothie was our favorite and the strawberry daiquiris were to die for. (By the way all the water and ice is filtered so spin the wheel and have as many cocktails as you like). My husband is a beer drinker and said the beer at the bars was good, but the tecate in the mini bar was not.

Xel-Ha is wonderful and if you like snorkeling this is the place to go. We did not do the Tulum tour but spent the full day at Xel-Ha. It took about an hour to get there but the place is teaming with sealife. It is like finding Nemo we even saw a few stingrays. The caves were really interesting, but be prepared for the cold water inside. Tip - you need deposits for your snorkel gear, towel and locker so bring about $50 US or equivalent with you. Also you will need some nature friendly sun tan lotion which you can purchase there. Finally you should definitely take an underwater camera, as your friends will not believe you.

We will definitely be back next year for another wonderfully relaxing week at our new found heaven. Thank you to everyone who made our stay so great.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,564)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2004

Absolutely wonderful resort! I have to admit that for the past few months I have been a trip advisor junkie and some of the reviews concerned me although I finally came to the conclusion that some people are just never happy!

We were at this resort from August 29th until September 8th and the weather was perfect!

First of all, I want to address the "smell" and the food portions as neither caused even a slight problem for me or my husband. When you are walking along the back of the property you can smell sulfur and it smells like you are at the beach in Savannah, Hilton Head, or anywhere in the Low Country. From time to time it was stronger but it was not a sewage smell at all and to me it just smelled like being at the beach. Please, please do not let this deter you at all from staying here. When you get into your room there is also a sheet of paper explaining about the Mangrove ecosystem that is behind the property and that the Mangroves give off the sulfur smell. As for the alleged small portions of food I did not witness any such thing. Yes, the portions are smaller than in America but I personally think restaurants serve us too much food in the first place. The menus are set up so that each meal, including lunch, are to be 3 or 4 course meals. Just order an appetizer, salad, soup, entree, and a dessert and you will be fully satisfied. The food is excellent at all the restaurants but the Italian restaurant was my favorite! As for the caesar salad that the travel agent spoke of it was wonderful and once you cut up the lettuce you have a normal size salad. This place is all about presentation and I personally loved the way that particular salad was served.

Now, we stayed in a Casita suite which my husband and I loved. It felt like we were in our own luxury hut. We had a bottom floor casita right by a pool and then about 30 more steps to the ocean. You can see the ocean from all of the casitas and there is also plenty of sandy beach for everyone. There is only one small area that has rocks in front of it. We actually sat near the rocks one day and it was a beautiful view and you only had to walk about 20 steps to get to the water with no rocks at all.

I can only hope that anyone planning to visit this resort ignores any of the poor reviews about this resort. Just keep an open attitude about things and realize that things are just a little slower in Mexico and enjoy your vacation! I thought the service was excellent and we were always served in a timely fashion. Sometimes it took longer than others but my goodness, I didn't even wear a watch the whole time I was there so who cares if one day it took 5 minutes to get my salad and another time it may have taken 10! Some people need to learn how to relax and take a vacation. I wish all the best to those poor souls who can't have a good time anywhere. For those of you who can, this is the place for you. I couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon! Who can beat driving up to beautiful grounds, being greeted with champagne, being wisked off to your room in a golf cart to your own Casita with more champagne chilled and a welcome card with fresh flowers and towels in the shape of a heart on our bed! Please, everyone enjoy your trip to this paradise!

West Sussex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the El Dorado Royale for our honeymoon (20th -30th July 2004) and we had an amazing time.

I read a number of reviews from this website before we went and to be honest I was a little worried. Well, I needn't have worried because we loved every minute of it.

Unfortunately it is impossible to please everybody all of the time!! It is your holiday and therefore you shouldn't let small things ruin it by dwelling on them, just put it behind you and get on with enjoying yourself. Yes there are little things that could annoy you if you let them, but you're in Mexico, so chill out!!

Airport:
Even after a 10 hour flight, the wait at the airport is not that bad, infact, we were glad to see people getting checked properly in airports!!

The EDR:
We arrived fairly late in the evening and were greeted with a glass of champagne, then we were taken off to our Garden-view room. As it was dark and we didn't know our way around, Pedro even came back to drive us to the restaurant for dinner.

The resort is fantastic, it is kept immaculately and always looks good. The staff are brilliant, always smiling and saying hello as they walk past. Some reviews said that you needed to tip in order to get good service!! We did not find this at all, we did tip but only because we wanted to. A simple 'thank you' does go a long way. There was the odd time when we came across a grumpy member of staff, but I recon that everyone is entitled to the odd 'off day'.

The room:
We stayed in a Garden-view room. The bathroom was nice with a huge walk in shower, the room was spacious, (we had a different towel arrangement left each day, a really nice touch) the hot-tub and the hammock were cool and added a bit more comfort / fun. The ocean-view rooms and the casita's were very nice, but our room was perfect for us and we'll stay in a garden-view room again when we return.

Food:
The restaurants were excellent, there was plenty of choice and the portions were more than enough!! They are all 5 course meals, although we only ever managed 3!! I recommend Cocotals for breakfast, a great way to start the day. The other restaurants were very nice, we had a candlelight dinner on the beach on our last night, it was very romantic and a great way to end a perfect stay.

Restaurant reservations:
You do need to book several days in advance to get the restaurant that you want, if you do this you won't have a problem. Not ideal booking 2 days in advance but that's the way it is, no point not doing it then complaining about it!!

The beach:
The beach was lovely, the wave breakers are necessary and make the sea so much calmer. We were walking on the beach several mornings by 5:30, watching the sun rise whilst next to the ocean was great!!

Trips:
We went on a day trip to Tulum and Xel-Ha. Was good to see the Mayan ruins at Tulum, two hours there was about right though. We spent the whole afternoon at Xel-Ha, the snorkling there is amazing.

We visited Cancun one afternoon and were very glad that we were staying at the EDR. Cancun is very nice, but it is very busy and there is a lot of building work going on.

We also went swimming with Dolphins (Dolphin Discovery), it was an amazing experience, one which we can't wait to do again.

Summary:
We loved our honeymoon in Mexico and the EDR, we have already decided that we will be going back there soon. If you are looking for a relaxing, chilled out holiday the EDR is the place to go.

(If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me)

• Stayed July 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2004

I have to start out by saying that I truly do not understand what people complain about. My fiance and I returned from El Dorado Royale last night. If you have complaints here, you just have no idea on how to enjoy yourself. The food and restaurants at the resort are amazing. The woman in a previous review who is complaining about the ceaser salad being two slices of lettuce and a ring of tomato obviously has no idea what gormet food is about. Being from NYC, we have eaten at some of the best restaurants and trust me, this place is comparable and in some cases better!! This fancy style of food calls for small portions(which actually aren't really that small), otherwise you would not be able to make it through a 6 course meal. The Oriental restaurant is the best!! And lunch at Jo Jo's is a must! The service was great, and for Mexico(I have been to different parts many times) very fast! Our room was beautiful and clean. We had an ocean view. It was in a great location and the walk to the lobby was not far. People that complain about walking too far should think again; a little excersice can't hurt! The bars were great and the Drinks were good. Martini bar is excellent! Jacob at the Guacamayas bar was our man!!! We also got excellent service at the martini bar from Edgar and Teresa! Overall, do not go there thinking you are going to party like other places in Mexico. This place is low key at night....it is all couples. Very Romantic! Very Relaxing! Great service and beautiful pools and beaches! No complaints here and we are even considering returning for our honeymoon!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2004

Perhaps it's the time of year, a change in management or some other factor, but I'm completely baffled by the number of positive reviews when every single couple we spoke to during our stay in August 2004 was utterly disgusted with this resort. From check-in woes, to the horrible beach, to the unbelievable sub-standard food, every aspect of this resort was a huge disappointment.

Having booked our trip as honeymooners, as clearly indicated on both the Karisma and tour operator's web site, we qualified for the "honeymoon package" which includes, among other things, a complimentary upgrade to an oceanview/ocean front room and a candlelit dinner on the beach. This was verfied with the travel agent and I ensured it was included with our reservations. However, upon check in, we were very rudely informed that apparently that package expired a few years ago. How their own web site and other travel agencies still promote this is beyond me. The bigger issue here is, there was absolutely no regret in telling us this, and were only told after being thrown from one employee to another until one finally gave us a straight answer.

So whatever... no honeymoon package for us. We figured we'd still be fine in a standard room. Of course not. Throughout the week, we were treated to daily power and water outages, fleets of insects in our room, including some very attractive ants that managed to find their way into every article of clothing we had packed, an absolutely horrible stench of sewage that greeted us each morning and evening... hell, the list goes on forever.

Dining - my god. We have visited a number of supposedly 5-star resorts throughout the caribbean over the past few years, and the El Dorado Royale was positively at the bottom of the list. It seems the kitchen produces one or two sauces and then uses them in all restaurants, conveniently calling them something different each time to give the illusion of variety and creativity - of which there are clearly NONE of. Perhaps the only exception to this is the Italian restaurant, but good luck getting a reservation there. We managed to go there one night our of the seven, despite the fact that we went to make reservations one hour after arriving.

Bars - neither my wife or I are big drinkers, but we were thoroughly disgusted by the abundance of drunk, rowdy and obnoxious guests. Like clockwork, at around 6:00 pm each night, you could be sure to see at least five or six couples staggering back to their rooms, barking out obscenities and all. This isn't exactly a fault of the resort, but I wonder how they manage to attract such a high concentration of the 'cream of the crop'.

Beach - While I had read some reviews in advance about the ugly sandbags used to break the waves, I was not prepared for exactly how attrocious they really were. First off, they are placed WAY too close to the shore... effectively giving you about 30 feet of hot, dirty ocean water that receives next to no circulation thanks to these beauties. What makes matters even worse is that the depth never exceeds maybe three feet. So if you're interested in the ocean, have fun wading in it like a baby. Despite the clear skies and calm winds throughout our stay, the resort thankfull placed red flags along the beach every day, warning everyone of the treacherous, stagnant bath water we would experience if we dared to wander into the ocean.

Pools - they have seven pools I believe, scattered throughout the property. Of these, we only tried four and each was consistently filthy, overcrowded and actually hotter than the air outside. A pleasant layer of scum can be seen on the surface of every pool, and in certain corners it adopts a foamy, yellowish colour. I tell you, nothing could be finer.

About the only positive thing I can say about this resort is the ease at which optional tours can be booked. Whiile it's fairly obvious they would make it as easy as possible to suck more money from you, the guides and representatives for tours were very friendly, informative and helpful.

I urge you to consider a different resort if the El Dorado Royale is in the running for your future vacation plans. I only wish I could have found an accurate review when I had booked, and sincerely hope this will help some of you avoid a very disappionting vacation.

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

I never write reviews, but feel like I should after reading the Travel agents review.

I stayed at the Royale Aug. 21-24 and had a great time. I can't believe someone could come back with such a negative report. It's obvious this person 110% of the time sees the glass half empty.

Like the majority here It was a vacation of a lifetime. Even though the property was full I never noticed. I never had an issue with dinner reservations or finding a lounge chair. Not only was the food elegantly display it was so good. Out of all the trips I've gone on this is the first time I arrived home thinking about the food I had instead of wanting American food.

I did notice that the water was rocky in some areas, but quickly found the swimming area.

The smell...... I found out that it was something to do with the jungle not waste. the smell didn't bother me because I would keep walking and it would go away. However I can't see how this could mess up someone's vacation.

• Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2004

The lady who is a travel agent.....I can't believe that we are talking about the same place???

My fiance and I were there from August 22-29, and it was pure pleasure and paradise. I have so much to say but let me start with saying, I read these reviews for the past 7 months prior to going and I knew that I was going to have a fabulous time and I did! Before we left weather.com said it owuld rain everyday that we were to be there. HA HA! What a lie. Beautiful sunny days except one time it rained, Wedenesday night and caused to miss the MX Fiesta, but I still got down to the bar to take a picture with Pancho!!

We arrived at the hotel at 10am and check in is not until 3, well we listened to our Fun Jet rep talk for about 40 minutes and we were off to our room! Oh yeah, the Champagne, we did get it ad another and another as we sat and waited.

We got a ride to our suite...OCEANFRONT is the way to go BABY!!! We stayed in the 18 building and were literally in front of the ocean with no obstruction of view. The Picture of the Hotel in an oceanfront room was prob ours!! We had a beautiful towel arrangement in our room every day. How do they do that?? The turtle was cute.

We sometimes forgot to put out the tag for the door, but we would get back late from our trips and our room would be made up anyway. They only dont come early in the morning W/out the tag, but they will come eventually to freshen everything up!

The beach: Wonderful! We were on the opposite side than the Casita's, and if you want to spend a lot of money for a slightly bigger room with no valid swimming area or sand and far from everything...go ahead!! They are nice, but I think they are not worth it, giving the view I saw from there when we ventured out that way. There is no sand in from of those Cabana things...all rocks. In from of the 18 and 19 building...beautiful water and sand! No shoes needed. I never had to wake up at the crack of dawn to get under a palapa, I had one every day I wanted one! and I would get out there at 8, 10 and even once at 2pm!

Food: Yummy! The only one I did not get to try was the Carreta, but hey I eat MX all the time! Food portions can be small, I thought they were great when you ordered one off each list, it was well satisfying!

I have to mention one particular server who was completely outstanding...his name is Raul and he works at Jo Jo's at night. He was the best. I have never experienced better service than what he gave us...Thank you Raul.

Service: OUTSTANDING!! Everywhere we turned someone was saying Hola, or asking if everything was ok. we never waited for drinks! We never waited on food or service. I actually felt kind of silly the first morning when I poured my own juice and then went to sit down and there was another fresh glass. I ordered juices that were not on the menu and they brought it to me. Everywhere we went people were happy to help us and serve us! Yes we did leave tips, but let me mention that these people worked so hard to take care of us and all around us, and they dont know who will leave a tip or not. So I know that they were not serving us because we gave them money first. The always seemed so shocked and pleased when we left a dollar or two here and there. Other people looked at us like we were crazy, but I didnt care.

EVERYONE works so hard to make sure that we were happy and that everything was perfect and I believed that they deserved it.

We did not once swim in the Pools, so cant comment on them. Painting was fun. The activities and the bars were awsome! Want a stronger drink jsut ask for it. Man did I mess up asking for a stronger drink. They saw me coming and I was lit!!

Oh...Dinner Reservations. I had already read about the "problems"
I so expected to eat at midnight, that was not the case. We got 530 630 reservations all week!! Even on the same day! One night we missed our reservations and the lady said no problem and sat us down anyway! And we passed her no money!!

Room Service: It's room service, it's not suppose to be fancy, but it is delicious. The night we were rained out of the MX fiesta we ordered enough to feed 4, cuz we were out all day. They thought we were crazy!!! But brought it with a smile, and always before the time that they told us. And it was always HOT!

OK, so not everything is ever PERFECT, but this is close to....So the not so perfect part:

Hardly any smell, but I wasnt on that side:)
Shuttle service....can you find a better way to make accomodations for this please????

If it is offered as part of the 5 star, then you should have it available for all. They already make the schedule of when they do it, then they can atleast make sure there is enough transpotation for all that want to go without having to make a reservation 3 days in advance!! Hell some people are not even there that long to book a shuttle. That should be told to us right away. We didnt have plans to go into the city until Friday. I asked Tuesday and they said go to that lady..oops shes not there, next day we left early and got back late, not there. Finall I catch her and she says she doesnt make the reservations he does. I went to the next guy, I felt I was being passed around. That ****** me off. needless to say we paid the Taxi, we managed to split the fair with another couple. ***hint hint*** this needs to be fixed, and the knowledge on who does what in the lobby!!!

That's it! Oh one more thing..Trips.... If you have never been to see Ruins, go to Chichen Itza. It is absolutley BEAUTIFUL, But only go if you like archeological sights!!!! Funjet and AI is the way to go. Not bad for 8 days and 2500!!! Raul, Dario, and the rest, look for us next year!!!! By all means contact me if you want more details.

Also, I am Hispanic and speak the language! That was a big PLUS!!!! They loved it!! And for the lady who said they should speak English. Bull!!! It's MX they speak Spanish, if you dont like it go to Belize, I hear they speak English there!!!

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!