“Perfect holiday at EDR” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Free Room Upgrade
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
crowborough
“Perfect holiday at EDR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Travelled with my hubby 13th-28 june, WOW what a place firstly the grounds of this large resort are stunning really well kept.The rooms are large and spotless with more clean towels delivered than you can use, the fridge was stocked daily,can have bed changed every day if you so wish nothing is a problem, staff were really helpful and friendly specially our concierge fernando, we had our room upgraded as it was our anniversary with champagne delivered to our room and beach massage nice touch. The food was fab we were spoilt for choice we did not find portion's small neither did we have to wait for a table, room service was also good. Never had trouble finding a sun bed although people were reserving them from the crack of dawn and not using them a bit unfair but like most places, The waiter service at pool & beach was an added bonus these guys work really hard you don't have to tip it's not expected but we thought they deserved it. ignore the odd bad review on trip advisor this place is a piece of paradise we had a fantastic time and so will you , we will definitely return next year

Room Tip: we had seafront room 315, room had a fantastic view and was opposite the health bar, nice n quite, s...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad to learn how much you have enjoyed your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma and that our facilities and service were up to your expectations. Your comments are extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue to improve our services. We look forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican home.

Warm regards,
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,854)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is our third summer at the El Dorado Royale and as I have stated it just gets better and better! Needless to say we are planning to visit yet again next year. I cannot see that we could visit a better resort anywhere else and we just love the Riviera Maya and all the people there. This year we had upgraded as it was our engagement celebration so we flew in premium club with Thomson on the Dreamliner. This was a fanatastic start to our holiday and it even cut two hours off the flight time, so it only took 8 hours 35 mins to get there. I highly recommend premium club for any long haul flight if the price is right at the time. It makes a huge difference.
Once we arrived, our check in was smooth and we received a welcome back spa treatment voucher - it is these little touches that makes us want to return again and again, it feels good to be recognised as repeat customers, something Thomson have yet to do after 9 years of us travelling with them. We had already upgraded in the UK to a swim up suite and when we arrived at our room, I was not disappointed. We were in block 4 as I had requested - this is a garden swim up and receives sun for most of the day. We had two iguanas that seemed to live right by the room which was lovely - although do check your room if you leave the door open to use the swim up as we had to chase 2 small lizards out of the bathroom on two occasions.
I won't go on about the room as I have done so in my previous 2 reviews, it was still exceptional and cleaned each day to a very high standard by Jose. We also had a turn down service each night. The mini bar was stocked regularly with soft drinks, water, Heineken, Sol and Coors light which made a change to the Tecate and Dos Equis we have had in the past.
We really loved the new restaurant - Santa Fe, the food is fantastic and we received great service there from Victor. He even took us outside to look at the view of the mangroves and the crocodiles. We enjoyed it so much that we booked for a second time in our last week. The other restaurants are still just as good as they have been, although Fuentes was closed for most of our trip this time having the roof repaired. This was no problem to us as we had visited last year. We only had to wait once for a meal at Kampai and it was only for 35 mins, but as you are on holiday who cares - just take your pager and enjoy a cocktail. Gilberto at Kampai was a brilliant waiter, as was Julio, both extremely attentive. We remembered Julio from last year and his English has improved 100%, it was great to see him there again. The food is still of a very high quality in every restaurant as are the drinks. I miss having my breakfast Eggs Benedictine already!
I can't not give a huge mention to Juan at the beach bar, our amigo. We met him on the first day as he only started here in the winter and he remembered us every day, always happy and had a minute to chat. I really hope to see him again next year a long with Efrain from JoJos and Cocotal at breakfast, so pleased to see he remembered us.
We spent most of our time at our swim up room, as the pool we used to go to, La Isla has now become the activity pool. I completely understand why as it is a lot more central, but as we were there over July 4th weekend it was very busy. We still got drinks at our room though - great service from both Angel and Daisy who were the swim up waiters. They are fab! It was no problem to just get in the lazy river and float round to the Fuentes pool swim up either. Perfect room and location.
We enjoyed a few of the shows but they were very similar to the shows we had seen previously, plus it took us so long to recover from jet lag that we were usually in bed by then! But Omar, Danny, Christian and the rest of the animation team do a great job so a huge thanks to them aswell as to Beatrice who we were pleased to see was still there - now in charge of the Hooka (Shisha) pipes on the pier.
We visted Xel Ha once again this year and went on the zip bikes - this is a brilliant experience as you can see the whole jungle from above instead of walking through it. We also visited the nature reserve of Contoy. This is a beautiful place and the beach bbq was gorgeous. The nicest fish I have ever tasted, but be warned, there are lots of mosquitos!! Lastly we did the Captain Hook boat trip with the surf and turf dinner. This was a grat laugh, one of the best nights out I have had in ages and great for families too. The meal was huge!! Do not eat before you go on the boat as you will miss out on all the lovely food on offer.
I could go on and on about my happy place but I have done it so many times before that there is very little else to say. We hope to return in October for the Day of the Dead festival in Playa Del Carmen, but whatever dates we get as long as it is in the fantastic El Dorado Royale we won't care. Keep up the great work, it is an amazing place!

Room Tip: If you book a swim up room, block 4 has sun all day long.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear repeating guests,
We thank your compliments to our staff, services, facilities and atmosphere it shows it´s your heart speaking. We are aware that our unique staff is what makes this in large proportion possible. It is very pleasing to read that even if this is a large resort, staff are able to remember you this only reassures me that when working they give not only service but also their heart in to what they do.
You clearly have a keen eye – for spotting wildlife, style & tours, customer service – and I am thrilled that you loved everything you laid eyes on

Thank you once again and it will be an honor for us if you visit pretty soon.
Looking forward to welcome you again for another memorable holiday

Best regards
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was a great resort! We had a swim out suite, which was really cool! the food was very good. The only thing was there were a couple of restaurants that you had to make reservations, and it seemed we missed getting them in on time. So there were 2 places we didn't get the chance to visit. Also the night life was lame. After 8pm it was like a ghost town there. But all in all it was a beautiful place and the service was awesome! I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for a swim out suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. We are privileged to have been able to host you and your partner's honeymoon stay with us!
We understand your experience was not exactly perfect but you can be certain that all your comments will be taken into consideration. Continuously improving our performance in all areas is our main task.

We look forward to welcoming you back again, maybe for a first year anniversary? We will have the champagne chilled, awaiting your next arrival!

Best regards
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I spent 6 nights at the El Dorado Royale resort in late June, 2014. We both had an incredible time together; the lovely staff attended to our every need, our personal concierge Angelita was exquisite in helping us make reservations and coordinate trips, and all of the restaurants had fantastic service and a great variety of (delicious) food. The resort was very quiet and romantic; we would often walk to dinner along the beach and only see one or two other couples, which was great for us because we wanted a quiet honeymoon together.

We found the resort through Beach Bum Vacations, and our wonderful travel agent Nanda van Zwam found us the honeymoon of our dreams on our reality's budget. She was a great resource during the stress of wedding planning, and even was in consistent communication with us during our stay whenever we had questions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Stevie V,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful and touching review of your recent honeymoon experience at our premises. It feels really good to acknowledge, through your words, that all our efforts to achieve our guests’ satisfaction have been worth it. I am sure your comments will be a very nice motivation for our staff to keep on working and for future travelers to try our destination.
Looking forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

Yours sincerely,
Bedford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed with a large group; 200+ and where fortunate to get a room at the newly built Generations. I had also bought a bottle of Don Julio Real at the airport which was "The Bomb" that everyone should try. Really enjoyed the Mediterranean restaurant and the Italian restaurant at Casitas. My suggestion for the Mediterranean is to maybe have a hookah lounge. The bars are great and the bartenders are some of the best professionals around. We were fortunate to be part of a tequila tasting that Sommelier Raymundo Vazquez hosted which broadened our tastes extensively at the Generations pool. Casitas water therapy is a must and try to brave that ice bath because it is worth it. This was our second year at the El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma and we are coming back again the first week of March 2015 due to my Wife's company having such a great time each stay to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of going to the Carribean with the group.

Room Tip: Try to stay at the newly built generations as they have really great rooms for couples. Generations...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Matt M.

It feels very rewarding to hear that our services have gone beyond our clients expectations.
We'll extend your compliments to our staff and most particularly, to Raymundo Vazquez.
Comments like yours constitute some good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ satisfaction.
It will be a great pleasure to welcome you once again for another memorable vacation.

Best regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

First thing is first - if you are reading through reviews and you have NEVER had the all-inclusive experience, stop worrying, you will love this resort. No need to read further... go enjoy your vacation -
However, read through my tips at the bottom of this review.

If you have been doing all-inclusive resorts since you were 12 (like myself) - keep on reading... this one is for you. I read through more than 100 reviews before we ventured out and most of them seemed to be staying on the Casitas side - this is your run of the mill, garden-view, I'm super cheap, review. Also, to preface this review, as just mentioned, I'm super cheap... we snagged this resort on Groupon. That does affect my opinion of the resort as you will later see. (Also, it's important to know that I already found my perfect resort and sadly it was recently sold to another company and went to crap. This was an effort to find my husband and I - and my family - a new favorite resort)

Reasons I would book with El Dorado Royale again:
- Beautiful landscaping (seriously gorgeous)
- Very clean resort
- Far above average food (as far as all-inclusive food goes)
- Personal Concierges for your area of the resort (Need to take a moment to explain this. As with any resort there is a concierge in the main lobby - who I usually never go see. However, when you book here, even in the cheapest room offered, you too are given a personal concierge. Ours was Erika (we were in building 12) and she was beyond fabulous. She was more than accommodating, and she ALWAYS delivered on her promises. The personal concierge truly gave me the feeling that we were staying at a luxury resort and that we were genuinely VIPs.
- Good size rooms (even the smallest ones
- Decently comfortable beds/pillows (it's hard to beat my tempurpedic mattress)
- Timely/respectful cleaning service
- THE BEDS BY THE POOL (more on these later - I will never book an all-inclusive again unless they have these!)
- Plenty of couples to make new friends with (be warned single people - all-inclusives tend to be VERY couples oriented, so if you are looking for a party hotel, you may be disappointed by all the wedding, marriage, and children conversations happening around you. May want to keep looking...)
- LOVED the A/C! We are from Texas, and know the importance of central air (and the ability to control it). Each room is equipped with a state of the art wall unit that is unlike anything I've seen. You can set it exactly how you want it. We both slept great and loved walking out of the heat into our nice cool room everyday!

Reasons that while this hotel was wonderful, this will likely be my only time to visit as I continue to search for my perfect resort (again):
(Please know - this is me being VERY picky - I still believe this resort is worth visiting so that you can experience it for yourself)
- The bars IMO were never staffed enough for the amount of people ordering - we were at the main pool (La Isla) every day from Wed-Sat. The issue with the bar is not that 1 bartender cannot serve all the people waiting at the swim up bar. It is that the swim up bar backs up into the restaurant. So there is ONE bartender for everyone in the pool AND everyone in the restaurant. This makes for very very slow service and it is not at all the bartenders fault. He was a machine and did the best he could. My thought is that this is managements way to keep cost down by not having to pay an extra body as well as not giving out twice as much liquor in one day. Expect to wait 5-10 mins to have your order taken, and another 5 mins to receive your drink.
- The pool (and honestly El Dorado, because I know you are reading this - this is the main reason we will not be returning, this is an easy fix, and should have been done long before now. Cough up the cash and get it done.) is bath water warm. Like, you feel as if you are getting into a hot tub that is still trying to warm up. Most pools in Texas and further south must come equipped with a chiller. EDR has one! Yay! Only issue is, it's on the FAR end of the pool where no one is, and has only ONE outlet. So there is a hole, the size of a golf ball, and if you stand next to it, it's pumping icy cold water. This great for that tiny area, but there is NO way it could EVER cool that entire pool. For me, that's a deal breaker. I spend my entire vacation in the pool.
- The beach/ocean is sub-par if you are an ocean person. My husband loves to snorkel and did not see any of the normally colorful fish you would find in this area - which I'm sure is due to the giant sand bags. (You can read more on these in other reviews) Long story short - if you are a beach person, this resort is not for you.
- The guys who get you involved with pool activities were awesome - so funny, so engaging! However, they were 4-trick ponies. EDR - you need to better utilize these guys. All they do EVERY day: water aerobics, water volleyball, water polo, beach volleyball. The end. At other resorts I've stayed at they do something different EVERY day of the week. Granted it is repeated every week but still, something fun and different. This makes for something entertaining to watch and participate in if so inclined.
- The candlelight dinner. IMO is a joke. GRANTED we did not participate, but I have done these at other resorts. The huts they have you in are indeed on the beach, however, you are seated right next to another table. This should be a time where you and your (likely) new spouse feel like you are alone on a beach with the waves being served food. You should not have to listen to other peoples conversations.
- I was in sales for several years, and I know a good pitch when I hear one. You will be propositioned to hear the sales presentation from your concierge. This is not always a bad thing. This is how you get free stuff. HOWEVER, the reward IMO was totally not worth the effort. I was expecting to hear that we would be given free massages (instead - just 2 for 1), or a free "candlelight dinner" (instead just $50 off bringing your total bill down to $90), or a free excursion off property. NOPE. Not worth it. Just say no unless any of that sounds like it's perfect for your wallet. Just know, once they get you in there, they are going to try to sell you... HARD.
- Restaurant service is wonderful, but slow. This isn't a horrible thing, just expect to be there like you would any normal restaurant in the states (hour to an hour and a half). Loved all our waiters - very friendly.

TIPS THAT YOU MUST READ:
- THE SECOND YOU GET THERE (if you get there before "check in" at 3 then alter that to the second the chime strikes 3:00 on the day you arrive) introduce yourself to your personal concierge and tell them you want a reservation at Santa Fe and Fuentes. We did exactly this on Tuesday at 3 when we arrived and the only available reservations were on Friday/Saturday - which is good considering we left Sunday! If you don't take care of this IMMEDIATELY you will miss out on the best food at the resort.
- Best restaurants (that we went to) at the resort ranked for dinner (IMO): Santa Fe, Fuentes, Rincon/Kampai tied, Di'italia Casitas
- Santa Fe - order anything - it's going to be awesome. Like, nice restaurant awesome
- Fuentes - ask your concierge to see the menu for the day you are being offered a reservation. It's different each day but set with no changes made. This was such a neat experience. It's like watching the Food Network while you eat. The walk you through how they make each dish and why. We LOVED it and the food was AWESOME. (Expect to be there for 1.5 - 2 hours)
- Rincon didn't get great reviews on here which shocked me. And I did not like my entree (the brisket was 70% fat) but I'm still telling you it was fantastic. We are from San Antonio and eat Tex-Mex all the time. Husband got the salmon and was drooling the entire time. All the appetizers are awesome (duck carnitas!! Mmmm) but you MUST get the Tres Leches for dessert. It was my second favorite of all the ones we ate. If you have never had tres leches, just trust me. If you have, this will compare with the one your abuelita makes! ;-)
- Kampai - we went there twice, my only recommendation is to not go there for lunch. We arrived at the resort late and Kampai was one of the few that was open and everything was sub par. HOWEVER dinner is an entirely different story. We ordered 4/5 of the sushi rolls on the menu, all were great. My duck was a little over cooked for my entree but all of that is nothing compared to the fried ice cream. Don't think. Just order it. Both of you. Get the same dessert. Screw sharing. It's that good. Like a big donut stuffed with ice cream. Like - holy crap good.
- Di'italia - everyone told us that the casitas one is better that the resort one so we were sure to head there. If you are coming from the UK or Europe, I feel like this is right up your alley. If you are from the states... beware. There is a lot of lamb/veil on the menu which can be off-putting. Every staff member I spoke to raved about the Lobster Lasagna, so naturally I ordered it. Now, I'm Italian, like, Make-my-own-sauce-from-scratch-and-everyone-raves-about-it Italian. In no way, was that a lasagna. It was like a lobster stew with lasagna noodles. I was expecting the lobster to be mixed in with the ricotta and them create a nice lobster cream sauce. Instead - I can't really tell you what I ate. It wasn't bad, just... different. I feel like this is one of those times where we just ordered the wrong items off the menu. Maybe ask around for other people who ate there and ask what they ordered before you go. For me, I would have switched that night for La Isla - which I heard was surprisingly good (which is how I would describe Rincon)
- My beloved pool bed. The glory of my entire vacation. People who passed by looked at me with a look of painful jealousy. And in the words of someone far less educated "They hate me because they ain't me." ;-) In order to snag one of these beds you will have to be OK with setting your alarm... early. Early in the week you can get away with 6:30-6:45, but as you get to Wed-Sat, people figure out the drill and you have to set your alarm for 6:00. You don't need to lay there, just mark it with towels/personal items and you are good - then head back to bed. For me, TOTALLY worth it. I've already told you that my fine culinary skills come from my Italian heritage, well my SUPER white freckled physique is thanks to the Irish side. If you are white girl white like myself and you DONT get a bed, good luck. There are no umbrellas. None. You will be baking your little heart out and taking refuge in the shade created by the swim up bar. As far as regular lounge chairs - you can probably snag them up until 10 or 11, then they are gone. Now all of this is for the main pool (I like to be where the action is) I can't speak for the other pools, but know that there are many and you can find a seat SOMEWHERE.

Closing thoughts:
Like I said - I got this on groupon. We went to my "perfect hotel" that no longer exists (Aventura Spa Palace - now - Hard Rock Riviera Maya) this time last year for CHEAPER than my groupon and it included $750 worth of resort credit that we used to get massages and swim with the dolphins - FANTASTIC well rounded experience. That being said, I believe that this resort is good for the price I paid. There is no way you would be able to get me to do it for full price. But again, that is because I'm comparing it to Aventura (which I had been to 3 times and my parents 7). If you already booked it and you are worried you made the wrong decision - don't worry. You will have a great time. It may even be your favorite. For me, I've had more for less money so it's hard to compare. Hope this helped! Enjoy your vacation wherever you end up!

Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Great resort for couples! The food was excellent with several different places to eat. The rooms are comfortable and the staff were all very friendly. The only thing I think may be a problem is the beach is not as nice as some people would probably like, but the resort has so many activities and entertainment going on you won't really notice it.

Room Tip: best villas are of course close to the beach
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael R,
Thank you for recounting your experience in such vivid detail. I thoroughly enjoying reading your feedback and happy you had a great vacation here with us.
We truly appreciated the constructive feedback regarding the beach all comments are more than welcome.
We only hope you may honor us once again with a future visit.

Warm regards
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#8 of 201 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 stars 11,137 reviews

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!