This is our third summer at the El Dorado Royale and as I have stated it just gets better and better! Needless to say we are planning to visit yet again next year. I cannot see that we could visit a better resort anywhere else and we just love the Riviera Maya and all the people there. This year we had upgraded as it was our engagement celebration so we flew in premium club with Thomson on the Dreamliner. This was a fanatastic start to our holiday and it even cut two hours off the flight time, so it only took 8 hours 35 mins to get there. I highly recommend premium club for any long haul flight if the price is right at the time. It makes a huge difference.
Once we arrived, our check in was smooth and we received a welcome back spa treatment voucher - it is these little touches that makes us want to return again and again, it feels good to be recognised as repeat customers, something Thomson have yet to do after 9 years of us travelling with them. We had already upgraded in the UK to a swim up suite and when we arrived at our room, I was not disappointed. We were in block 4 as I had requested - this is a garden swim up and receives sun for most of the day. We had two iguanas that seemed to live right by the room which was lovely - although do check your room if you leave the door open to use the swim up as we had to chase 2 small lizards out of the bathroom on two occasions.
I won't go on about the room as I have done so in my previous 2 reviews, it was still exceptional and cleaned each day to a very high standard by Jose. We also had a turn down service each night. The mini bar was stocked regularly with soft drinks, water, Heineken, Sol and Coors light which made a change to the Tecate and Dos Equis we have had in the past.
We really loved the new restaurant - Santa Fe, the food is fantastic and we received great service there from Victor. He even took us outside to look at the view of the mangroves and the crocodiles. We enjoyed it so much that we booked for a second time in our last week. The other restaurants are still just as good as they have been, although Fuentes was closed for most of our trip this time having the roof repaired. This was no problem to us as we had visited last year. We only had to wait once for a meal at Kampai and it was only for 35 mins, but as you are on holiday who cares - just take your pager and enjoy a cocktail. Gilberto at Kampai was a brilliant waiter, as was Julio, both extremely attentive. We remembered Julio from last year and his English has improved 100%, it was great to see him there again. The food is still of a very high quality in every restaurant as are the drinks. I miss having my breakfast Eggs Benedictine already!
I can't not give a huge mention to Juan at the beach bar, our amigo. We met him on the first day as he only started here in the winter and he remembered us every day, always happy and had a minute to chat. I really hope to see him again next year a long with Efrain from JoJos and Cocotal at breakfast, so pleased to see he remembered us.
We spent most of our time at our swim up room, as the pool we used to go to, La Isla has now become the activity pool. I completely understand why as it is a lot more central, but as we were there over July 4th weekend it was very busy. We still got drinks at our room though - great service from both Angel and Daisy who were the swim up waiters. They are fab! It was no problem to just get in the lazy river and float round to the Fuentes pool swim up either. Perfect room and location.
We enjoyed a few of the shows but they were very similar to the shows we had seen previously, plus it took us so long to recover from jet lag that we were usually in bed by then! But Omar, Danny, Christian and the rest of the animation team do a great job so a huge thanks to them aswell as to Beatrice who we were pleased to see was still there - now in charge of the Hooka (Shisha) pipes on the pier.
We visted Xel Ha once again this year and went on the zip bikes - this is a brilliant experience as you can see the whole jungle from above instead of walking through it. We also visited the nature reserve of Contoy. This is a beautiful place and the beach bbq was gorgeous. The nicest fish I have ever tasted, but be warned, there are lots of mosquitos!! Lastly we did the Captain Hook boat trip with the surf and turf dinner. This was a grat laugh, one of the best nights out I have had in ages and great for families too. The meal was huge!! Do not eat before you go on the boat as you will miss out on all the lovely food on offer.
I could go on and on about my happy place but I have done it so many times before that there is very little else to say. We hope to return in October for the Day of the Dead festival in Playa Del Carmen, but whatever dates we get as long as it is in the fantastic El Dorado Royale we won't care. Keep up the great work, it is an amazing place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, BookIt.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Low Cost Holidays and Jetsetter so you can book your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale
- El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort By Karisma Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico