“Favorite vacation spot so far.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Free Room Upgrade
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Elko, Nevada
“Favorite vacation spot so far.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was our fourth stay at El Dorado Royale in 6 years. We love that there is always something to do if you want to do something, or just relax if that is what you choose to do at that moment, and night-life every night, unlike any other resorts we have stayed at in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area. The staff are always very accommodating. Will continue to visit and highly recommend it!

Room Tip: There is not a bad room at this resort!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear repeating guests,

It has been really nice reading your detailed review on your recent holiday at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
We heartily appreciate your kind words.
Hoping to receive you again in sunny at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma,

Kind regards,
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,878)
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon and loved it. The resort was gorgeous and food was amazing I didn't want to leave. I would recommend a swim up room and skipping the timeshare presentation. My only complaint is the nightlife we never got to see one show because it was always full even when we went 30 mins early we still had no chance. Final tip is they have premium liquor but if you don't specifically ask for it you get the cheap stuff. We figured that out the last night which was kind of a piss off. We had the honeymoon package so we got the candle lite dinner which was Amazing and the massages as we'll they are ridiculously priced in my opinion but so worth it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Anastasia Z,

We have had a great pleasure reading your review.
Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff.
Looking forward to receive you, once again, at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma for another memorable vacation,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The only thing I would change would be the problem we had checking out. The guy checking us out gave us a total of over $600. US Dollars. We knew we had not spent that much. It seems that we were charged for a massage that we "no showed" That was a huge mistake b/c we only made one appointment for one massage and we went at that time. Carlos (concierge) at check in made us the appt. and apparently made it for a different day. They took us in when we went although they didn't have us down. Then charged us for both appointments. We were able to get it straightened out, but it did leave a lasting bad taste when we left. We had wonderful service from Zully and Angelita. Also, got to know Danny and Christian and love them as well. Great trip overall.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Dehlia C,:

My most respectful greetings to you from sunny Mexico.
Much to our regret you show unsatisfied with services received at our resor upon check out.
I would like to thank your valuable comments since they allow us to identify our improvement opportunities and put immediate corrective actions into practice.

Thanks once again and we hope to see you again to get a new opportunity

Kindest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We came last month for a wedding and everything was awesome! The rooms were clean and setup nicely. Swimming pools were all around and the bartenders had no problems making drinks. Restaurants made each dining experience memorable.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Let me express my gratitude for taking the time to write about your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Best regards
Blantyre, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The atmosphere at El Dorado Royale is fabulous. My husband and I stayed in the Sensi Mar section which was a little quieter with it's own quiet pool. The whole resort is immaculate and nothing is ever too much trouble. The staff are outstanding and go out of their way to be helpful and are always smiling. The food is amazing wherever or whenever you go and there is such an amazing choice. Entertainment at night is also very good. We had a great time and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear friends from United Kingdom

It has been a great pleasure to receive your warm review describing your most recent vacation at our premises.
It shows it´s your heart speaking.
We thank your compliments to our staff, services, facilities and atmosphere and I hope you give us the honor of another visit pretty soon.
Looking forward to welcome you again for another memorable holiday,

Warm regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I went to El Dorado Royale to celebrate our honeymoon. We registered through Karisma's honeymoon registry to receive hotel credits for the spa, etc. When we checked in they had no record of our registry, and we spent about an hour arguing with them until they informed us we have to check with the accounting department, which was closed. When we got to our room the staff forgot to set up the honeymoon suite and we were missing our stocked mini fridge (when we called the reception, they promptly brought it in, and the following day they added the honeymoon banner, rose petals, flowers, etc). The next morning we went back to the reception and they finally "found" our credits but told us we could ONLY use them at the spa (even though the credit voucher said we could use them for wifi, bottles of wine billed to the room, etc). After another hour of arguing and talking to managers they apologized and said that yes we can use it for anything billed to the room. The resort itself is absolutely perfect and the food is divine. When we checked out at the end of the week they told us that we couldn't use our honeymoon credits to pay for the 10% spa service fee, taxes, or gratuities we added (they did NOT tell us this during the week, nor did the credit voucher have any fine print that said this) - we ended up with around $200 leftover in resort credits the day we checked out...it was very frustrated that they start and end of our trip involved this registry mixup, and the staff did not seem educated at all on their own hotel's honeymoon/gift registry. Other than this, our stay was delightful.

Dear friend DevonOL

We very much appreciate your review which points out some interesting matters.
We understand your experience was not exactly perfect due to misunderstanding with the credits but you can be certain that all your comments will be taken into consideration.
Continuously improving our performance in all areas is our main task.
Thank you so much for your contribution.

Best Regards,
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

From the moment we arrived at El Dorado Royale Resort, I knew we were in for a special treat! The premise is beautiful, and right away you are welcomed by friendly staff who make sure everything is in order. Being the bride and groom, my husband and I were met by a young lady who worked for the onsite wedding department ( I really wish I remembered her name --- but she was very friendly and helpful. My husband and I were upgraded complementary to a luxury jacuzzi junior suite- which although it is not a huge difference from the jacuzzi junior suite, I appreciated the divide between the bathroom and room where the glass wall separated the jacuzzi tub! Most of our guests stayed in the Jacuzzi junior and honestly it is beautiful and an upgrade really isn't necessary.

The entire trip was wonderful (we were there from June 8- June 15--- and honestly none of my guests wanted to leave!) I thought for sure that 1 week was plenty and that we would get tired of it after a while, but this was not the case! We travelled with 16 other friends and family, and every single person said that this resort surpassed all expectations! Even though the resort was at full capacity, I never felt like it was crowded. We spent a lot of our time at the La Isla pool, and we were even able to get beds (probably best if you go no later than 9). I was actually quite surprised to find out that the resort was so full during off season, but after spending time there, I understand why!

When my husband and I first started looking into resorts for our destination wedding, a big MUST for us was that the food be very good. I myself am not huge on buffets so the gourmet inclusive experience that they are known for drew me in right away. I loved the idea of being able to order my own food. I will say though that the breakfast buffet at La Isla and Cocotal were extremely good, and for somebody who does not like buffets, I had breakfast at these buffets almost every day during my trip (the nice thing though is that even though they have a huge buffet selection, they will still bring you a menu so that if you would prefer to order your own breakfast off of the menu, you can). We had a chance to visit many of the restaurants (although we didn't visit one of the gourmet corners and Sante Fe (which is one of the two restaurants you need a reservation for). When we met with our concierge we wanted to make a reservation at one of the two restaurants that they were needed for, and we decided on La Fuentes. I was a bit skeptical about having dinner at the culinary theatre because of negative reviews I had read, however, my husband and I were extremely pleased and happy to have experienced it! My husband even said that this was his favourite dinner of the entire trip! All of the restaurants were really amazing and delicious, I especially liked Kampai --- and many of my guests visited that restaurant countless times, along with D'Italia. I had read reviews that complained about how long it took for dinner, and that you would have to wait sometimes an hour to be seated, and what I have to say about that is just arrive early enough! I never had to wait to be seated, but we also made sure to arrive around 6, because I found it would start getting busy around 6:30-7:00. However, even though it started to get busy, I didn't find people had to wait that long! Honestly, I am a foodie, so I enjoyed spending time sitting down to dinner and enjoying myself-- if you prefer quick buffets, then this resort might not be for you. I also wanted to mention the alcohol selection, as it was just simply amazing how much they offered! Many people mentioned that they had top shelf liquor, and this proved to be true! My husband was drinking Don Julio Tequila on the rocks the entire trip (this bottle sells for $80.00 in Canada). You definitely have to specify if you want top shelf liquor though.

OUR WEDDING:
I am an extremely high stress person and a lot of little things get to me so for me to say that the wedding was perfect is saying a lot! I had a few bumps the morning of the wedding (running a bit late with my hair and makeup, so I will say to book your appointments at the spa so that you have 2 hours before your wedding. I had my hair and makeup booked from 1-3 and the wedding was at 4, and it wasn't finished until around 3:30 or so. You also get your beauty stuff done on the Casitas side, so even though I was done at 3:30, I still had to get a shuttle back to my room -- needless to say, I was a bit late for my wedding! If I had to do it over, I would have started my appointment at 12 to be safe! When my flowers arrived around noon I was so over the moon happy. I could not believe how beautiful and perfect they were--- they were exactly how I had pictured them! My bouquet was a mix of ivory roses and peonies, and my bridesmaids had ivory roses and carnations. We also had ivory rose boutonnieres for the groom, groomsmen and father of the groom, and ivory rose wrist corsages for our mothers. I want to put out a special thank you to the wedding staff who created such an amazing bouquet for me and my bridesmaids, as well as the other flowers! Everything was just simply amazing.

I was so worried the entire trip that it was going to rain during the wedding but we did not get any rain the entire trip! I think we might have had a few drops one day but it never turned into anything like I expected prior to going to Mexico. The day of the wedding the skies were looking a little dark and so our lovely wedding coordinator Mericela (unsure of spelling) gave us the option of switching our reception to an indoor location. I sort of freaked out a little on the inside when she asked me this, but I know she was just doing her job! I decided to go with my gut and kept the reception outdoors and boy was I happy I did! We had our ceremony outdoors at the Bellinis Gazebo on the Casitas side, and while it was a distance away, I would not have changed this if I had the choice now. It was so extremely beautiful and I loved the privacy because of the location. I remember saying to my maid of honour when our golf cart arrived at the location "It is exactly how I imagined it". We stuck with simple decor. I purchased ivory sheer covers for the gazebo and brought along my own mint green bows to tie around the stairs,

The reception was held at the Chapel Terrace gazebo outdoors, and this was also a wonderful spot! I was so worried that it would be so terribly hot but because we were right on the ocean, the breeze really made it so comfortable. The dinner was very good, and it was prepared right on the beach before being served to us. We also has the private international bar for the 4 hours, and our bartenders really knew how to get the party started! They introduced us to a different Mexican shot tradition, and all of our guests were having a blast! They also walked around with trays of drinks on their heads, were extremely good with refilling the guests drinks, and interacted great with everyone. After our private reception ended, we went to the Guacamayes bar and it made for a really fun night. My husband and I didn't stay too late, but the next morning when we spoke with our guests you could tell it was a night to remember for most of them!

As for our photography, I was more then impressed! Alex was our photographer from Caribe Photography and he did a fabulous job! He had some really great photography suggestions, and was more then happy to hear my suggestions as well! I liked how he included our guests in the pictures and then spent a lot of time alone with my husband and I. I couldn't believe how quickly we received the pictures, and I was just beyond happy with the results!

Honestly, I could say so much but I then I would be here all day. I recommend this resort to anybody who wants to have a nice romantic holiday or for anybody wishing to have a destination wedding. This resort definitely caters to couples, so if you are looking for a resort with a lot of single people I would not recommend it. My husband and I are already planning on returning for our 1st year wedding anniversary! I cannot wait to go back! Thank you El Dorado Royale for creating memories to last a lifetime!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#8 of 201 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 stars 11,333 reviews

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!