“Fabulous resort and staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30% Off
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Marine, Illinois
“Fabulous resort and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay. We loved the resort! The food was excellente! My husband is a picky eater and he really enjoyed it. I would like to say that we have been to Punta Cana several times and Jamaica and then this was our second trip to Riviera Maya. We found that the staff in Riviera Maya in general seem to go above and beyond but especially here at EDR.
We arrived on Saturday with no problems. We had a great flight on Frontier which was only about 3 hours from St. Louis. We traveled with Funjet this trip and we did Funjet to the Front and it is so worth it to be up in the front and have the extra leg room. We then met our transportation through Lomas and arrived at the resort. Check in was easy. The only small problem was that we went to meet our Lomas rep as soon as we checked in and didn't actually get our room number. We knew we were in building 12 which is closest to the lobby and the bell boy had already left with our luggage and so we were left to find our room on our own. Our room was 1214 but for some reason I had it mixed up and thought it was 1241 but like I said no one wrote it down for us. We met Tristan who was our personal concierge and he looked us up and pointed us to the right room. He even called us once we got there and had already made us reservations for Santa Fe Grill and Fuentes. These are the 2 restaurants that you need reservations for. Tristan was so helpful all the time we were there and he remembered our names and room numbers. We were unsure if we wanted to do Fuentes do to my husband being such a picky eater and Tristan cancelled the reservation for us and then we thought we would do Santa Fe twice so he made that reservation and then after eating there the first night we decided we didn't want to eat there 2 nights in a row so Tristan then cancelled the second night. He was just so helpful.
I want to say that we ate breakfast each day at Cocotal and it was very good. We just did the buffet but very satisfied. We had Enrique as our waiter the first morning and he invited us to Jo Jo's for lunch as that is where he worked at lunch. We didn't get to sit in his section but we did have Gilbrean and he was wonderful as well. He recommended I try the mixed seafood and mussels ceviche and so happy I did! We had also eaten at Jo Jo's our first night and the food and service was very good as well. Cesear was our waiter and took good care of us. We had dinner the second night at D'Italia and had Alma as our waitress and she was absolutely wonderful. My husband didn't eat too much as he had been suffering from a bad headache. She inquired how he was feeling and even offered to call the medic. She told us as we were leaving to please come back and see her and we did on our last night ( Tuesday). We were lucky enough to have Alma serve us again and she even remembered how he liked his steak cooked. I just want to say how wonderful Alma was.
Elezer was our waiter on Monday night at Santa Fe Grill and he to was excellent. He explained everything to us and keep my wine glass filled :)
We enjoyed lunch twice and the Pizzera and had great food and service. The staff was very accomodating. My husband wanted a "meat lovers pizza" which isn't on the menu but the fixed it just how he wanted it.
Now for the grounds. Every thing is well manicured and beautiful. The beach is nice and we enjoyed sitting out on the pier near Jo Jo's. We like the La Isla pool. The water was nice and warm and clean. We had good wait service around the pool plus the swim up bar.
Due to only staying 4 nights we didn't try any of the other restaurants.
Our room was kept clean by Silvia and was cleaned early in the day which we liked. We are early risers and like to come back to the room in the afternoon for a bit so it was nice to have it cleaned early. There are no elevators but no problem for us. We were on the second floor.
I would highly recommend EDR to family and friends and we would most defintely return.
Please be sure to follow the dress codes. We enjoy dressing up for dinner and didn't mind dressing for lunch. My husband was able to have lunch in his swim trunks with a sleeved t-shirt. I just threw a sun dress on over my suit and didn't have any problems. I don't mind the dress code.
This resort was relaxing and since it is so spread out we never felt crowded any where. We didn't go to any of nightly entertainment as we went to bed early so I can't comment on that. We did see some pool volleyball, aerobics and other games at the La Isla pool. I did go to a cooking class on Tuesday. It wasn't much of a class. The chef showed us how to make mussels ceviche and w tasted. I wanted to do the greenhouse tour but somehow missed it even though we were in the lobby on time.
Hope this review helps and give EDR a try.

Room Tip: Ladies be sure to bring a sun dress or nice cover up for the restaurants at lunch. We did see people...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,737)
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and i stayed at EDR for three weeks in may/june for our honeymoon. Could not have been better! The grounds of the resort are beautiful and well kept. The resort is large which makes for a great walk or there are golf buggies that will take you where you would like to go. There are many pools to choose from and finding a lounger is not really a problem, there is also a beach on the resort which is lovely.

We stayed in a swim up suite. The room was beautiful and our made Geny done a fantastic job. We had two double beds, great shower, jaccuzi bath and a terrace leading into the pool. Air conditioning and fan were greatly appreciated! Although we had the swim up, in all honesty we spent most of our time at la isla pool. Most of the entertainment was here and the pool waiter Juan was amazing. He was always smiling, and great conversation, even taught me a bit of spanish!

The activities at the hotel were great. The sports and entertainment team were fantastic, Daniel from K Team was exceptional as he really knows how to get everyone involved in activities and have a good time. When we saw him around the resort he would give us advice on things we might like to see and do and generally had great communication!

The food was good, some small portions but good tasting. The staff were all great but some stood out such as orlando from the pizzeria- he went above and beyond to make sure you had a good meal! even in the rain!!

In all i would recommend the EDR to anyone, we will definitely be back!!!

love you guys :) James and sarah (from scotland)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear guest and friend,

Thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to returning again. It's particularly pleasing to hear our team be referred to as Great and we will ensure your feedback is passed on to them.
Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards from your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma home and the pearl of the Caribe

Best regards
Morecambe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and myself stayed here for two weeks, last week of April and first week of May.
It was our 10 year wedding anniversary, and they do an anniversary package of free internet, spa treatments etc, so if you are celebrating an anniversary, dont forget to take a copy of your marriage certificate.
We were checked in and soon driven in a golf buggy to our swim up room. First impressions as we drove past the main pool was, it seemed a little too busy for our liking, but we drove around to block 5 where it was much quieter and more to our liking.
The room was very spacious and comfortable, the pool by block 5 was very quiet.
We visited most restaraunts, and generally they were all of a high standard, and we didnt have to queue at any.
The entertainment was of a very high standard.
But what made this holiday for us was the friendly staff. All going above and beyond to please.
Cant remember all the names, but a big thankyou to Santiago, Daniel and Ervine at the casita beach bar.
If you want a nice relaxing holiday, this could be the place for you.
Would we return, yes.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the swim up room in block 5, nice and quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear johnnycapone,
It feels very rewarding to acknowledge how much our guests appreciate the service we have provided and the warmth of our people especialy for such an important celebration. It will be a pleasure to extend your compliments to our staff,
We are sure it will be a really nice way to encourage them to keep on being themselves.
We would like to thank you for your review, which will undoubtedly help our future guests when choosing their next destination in the Caribbean.
Looking forward to welcoming you back pretty soon,

Best regards,

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We payed $2000 per person to stay at El Dorado Royale and for that price it is not worth it. We have stayed at various resorts for an average of $1700 pp (Excellence Hotel was much better!!) The regular rooms are certainly not worth that price. The normal swim outs at this section of the resort offer little privacy. The night entertainment was literally a joke. They don't have a theater. You are under a palapa with fold up chairs. I know some people say that you don't stay that much in your room so it won't matter, but the pool was packed and you can only use two pools if you are just in a regular room and it was raining and we had to stay in our room... Such was our dismay that we went on the timeshare presentation in hopes of upgrading our room (we offered to pay extra to upgrade but they were "overbooked" ??!!) we went on the presention and loved the Casitas side and became members and low and behold they had several rooms available , needless to say they hold those rooms available for people who become members. Our experience completely changed. we were pampered beyond belief. On another note...the food was incredible and you don't have to be a member to go to all the restaurants in the resort but are you going to be eating 24 hours a day...i think not. You have to have a balance between the room and the resort and the food. Had we not become members and be privy to everything else they have to offer, i would never go back again.

Room Tip: i just would not stay in any of the regular rooms....
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It starts with the quick 2hr flight and the 15 minute shuttle ride and voila' you are there. Upon arrival you realized you have not walked into your average resort, plush is the word that came to my mind when you see the interior and the grounds and luscious comes to mind when I think of the endless welcome champagne cocktails.

We arrived early (about noon) room wasn't ready-Understandable for we had requested an upgrade to the Casitas (do this!) The only trouble of the trip was the long delay until our room was ready. Fortunately we had packed swimsuits (do this!) we enjoyed a wonderful lunch and drinks at the large pool. When our room was ready, the resort more than made up for our long wait by upgrading us further to a swim up lower casitas.

We enjoyed the week in basically a small resort within a large resort. We had our own concierge service, pool bartender and beach butler for the less than 20 persons in our village. Israel is the best bartender in the universe.

The food is their signature. As a foodie we enjoyed all if it, from breakfast in the room, light lunches and scrumptious meals. A NY chef was in our village and he echoed my opinion about the food. Our favorites were the Italian restaurant closest to the main building and the Dinner theater was great taste and fun.

The resort is not inexpensive, but I would say it was the best return on a vacation dollar in all my life. We will be back.

Room Tip: Casitas- lower level swim up
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hola! Dear rustyrev
I will have to say that we are thrilled and so excited to know that we made the difference for this short get away even if it was just for a day.
Thank you so much for this wonderful review! It was so energetic! I am Aware that It is in part to our wonderful staff, who you so thoughtfully mentioned, that El Dorado Royale remains the perfect vacation for everyone. We feel very proud of ourselves.

We hope you may come back to visit us for a longer period, we will be awaiting for you in your home in the warm Caribbean.

Warm Regards
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Best resort I have ever been to and I have been to quite a few. Quiet, peacful, with fantastic facilities. The food was phenomenol and there are a variety or restaurants to choose from. The staff are amazing. Cant wait to go back!

Perfect couples paradise!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and were so well looked after by the team
here at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Sincerely yours,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have been meaning to write this review for a while, since I stayed last June. This resort is truly fantastic, from the accommodations, to the food to the service, all first rate. Some of the highlights for me were the Italian and Japanese restaurants, the Health bar near the pool, and the daily beach volleyball. I stayed for 7 days and literally felt like I could have stayed another 7 easily. I cant wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Abe M

It is indeed a pleasure to receive such a nice review how fantastic the facilities, services and most of all, our staff professionalism and kindness.
We would all be very pleased to have you back for another memorable vacation

Best regards,
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!