My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay. We loved the resort! The food was excellente! My husband is a picky eater and he really enjoyed it. I would like to say that we have been to Punta Cana several times and Jamaica and then this was our second trip to Riviera Maya. We found that the staff in Riviera Maya in general seem to go above and beyond but especially here at EDR.
We arrived on Saturday with no problems. We had a great flight on Frontier which was only about 3 hours from St. Louis. We traveled with Funjet this trip and we did Funjet to the Front and it is so worth it to be up in the front and have the extra leg room. We then met our transportation through Lomas and arrived at the resort. Check in was easy. The only small problem was that we went to meet our Lomas rep as soon as we checked in and didn't actually get our room number. We knew we were in building 12 which is closest to the lobby and the bell boy had already left with our luggage and so we were left to find our room on our own. Our room was 1214 but for some reason I had it mixed up and thought it was 1241 but like I said no one wrote it down for us. We met Tristan who was our personal concierge and he looked us up and pointed us to the right room. He even called us once we got there and had already made us reservations for Santa Fe Grill and Fuentes. These are the 2 restaurants that you need reservations for. Tristan was so helpful all the time we were there and he remembered our names and room numbers. We were unsure if we wanted to do Fuentes do to my husband being such a picky eater and Tristan cancelled the reservation for us and then we thought we would do Santa Fe twice so he made that reservation and then after eating there the first night we decided we didn't want to eat there 2 nights in a row so Tristan then cancelled the second night. He was just so helpful.
I want to say that we ate breakfast each day at Cocotal and it was very good. We just did the buffet but very satisfied. We had Enrique as our waiter the first morning and he invited us to Jo Jo's for lunch as that is where he worked at lunch. We didn't get to sit in his section but we did have Gilbrean and he was wonderful as well. He recommended I try the mixed seafood and mussels ceviche and so happy I did! We had also eaten at Jo Jo's our first night and the food and service was very good as well. Cesear was our waiter and took good care of us. We had dinner the second night at D'Italia and had Alma as our waitress and she was absolutely wonderful. My husband didn't eat too much as he had been suffering from a bad headache. She inquired how he was feeling and even offered to call the medic. She told us as we were leaving to please come back and see her and we did on our last night ( Tuesday). We were lucky enough to have Alma serve us again and she even remembered how he liked his steak cooked. I just want to say how wonderful Alma was.
Elezer was our waiter on Monday night at Santa Fe Grill and he to was excellent. He explained everything to us and keep my wine glass filled :)
We enjoyed lunch twice and the Pizzera and had great food and service. The staff was very accomodating. My husband wanted a "meat lovers pizza" which isn't on the menu but the fixed it just how he wanted it.
Now for the grounds. Every thing is well manicured and beautiful. The beach is nice and we enjoyed sitting out on the pier near Jo Jo's. We like the La Isla pool. The water was nice and warm and clean. We had good wait service around the pool plus the swim up bar.
Due to only staying 4 nights we didn't try any of the other restaurants.
Our room was kept clean by Silvia and was cleaned early in the day which we liked. We are early risers and like to come back to the room in the afternoon for a bit so it was nice to have it cleaned early. There are no elevators but no problem for us. We were on the second floor.
I would highly recommend EDR to family and friends and we would most defintely return.
Please be sure to follow the dress codes. We enjoy dressing up for dinner and didn't mind dressing for lunch. My husband was able to have lunch in his swim trunks with a sleeved t-shirt. I just threw a sun dress on over my suit and didn't have any problems. I don't mind the dress code.
This resort was relaxing and since it is so spread out we never felt crowded any where. We didn't go to any of nightly entertainment as we went to bed early so I can't comment on that. We did see some pool volleyball, aerobics and other games at the La Isla pool. I did go to a cooking class on Tuesday. It wasn't much of a class. The chef showed us how to make mussels ceviche and w tasted. I wanted to do the greenhouse tour but somehow missed it even though we were in the lobby on time.
Hope this review helps and give EDR a try.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, BookIt.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale
- El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort By Karisma Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico