“5 star maybe” 3 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“5 star maybe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

have just returned from this resort as we celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary here and had a lovely time the first week , but noticed that the bedclothes always felt damp so complained a few times and sheets were changed .Then noticed our clothes were damp hanging in the closet so complained again but nothing was done. Then we noticed mould on some of the t/shirts hanging in closet so once again complained and a dehumidifier was bought to our room which didnt make a lot of difference and at 6-30 one morning it flooded the room out so once again back to square one.I had to have a dr out as i was taken ill and it was pnuemonia due to the dampness in the room, but still no other room was offered but i do remember reading on trip advisor that people had complained about rooms being damp at this resort. The staff helped us all they could but then 2 days before we were due to fly home my wife got bronchitis . Although this is a beautiful resort and staff are so helpful i do feel that this dampness in the room 5104 should be looked at and probably this whole block as one morning there was water pouring down the stairs like a waterfall just outside our door so i think this whole block has damp problems so please be aware of this as its not the humidity the room is smelly and damp .

Room Tip: not in the 5100 block .
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Mick J

Thank you for choosing El Dorado Royale as your host during your recent visit to Mayan Riviera. After reading through your review, I am deeply sorry that we did not live up to the expectations that you have so rightfully set before us, Please accept my apologies. We are a 5 star , AAA 4 diamond rated resort, and I firmly believe that you should have left the hotel feeling like you had a 5 star experience.

TripAdvisor does not link your reservations and as we would like to speak with you personally , we would like to invite you to contact our head of Customer services at customerservices@karismamexico.com so that we may address the concerns that you have.

Best Regards
Beat Muller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,564)
St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We had a quick 5-day vacation here and thought it was great. Its a large resort and includes lots of walking to get to your destinations. Plenty of poolside and beachside chairs and cabanas to relax in. The restaurants are all al a carte and only 2 of the 7 take reservations. There can be a long wait to get in, depending on the time you go. Food was fine (not bad, not great). Drink were easy to obtain. Entertainment was the usual local fare.

The MAJOR negative for this resort in the multitude (probably 100 on site) of golf carts, service carts etc. that the staff buzz around in ON THE WALKING PATHS - what are they thinking???? So dangerous and uncomfortable for guests. They need to fix that problem quickly.

We have been to many resorts in Mexico and this is one that I would go back to.

Room Tip: The Asian restaurant was our best meal.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear Dashriprock22,
Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important and beneficial to us, providing an indication of where our services excel and identifying areas in need of improvement. With an average rating of 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor, it is disconcerting to see feedback detailing dissimilar experiences.
I want to assure you that we in management have addressed these concerns. A staff service path has recently been introduced in the hotel, reducing the amount of golf carts within the public areas we reduced to only level of supervision or in the case of transporting big and heavy items to have the access to use a cart, A very few staff also uses bikes.
We have taken your feedback very seriously as customer service is our highest priority and we hope that you accept our apologies

Best regards
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

GreyGoose and Sambucca are great!! Dougy is in love with the shot glass! Lost my Purple Shirt. Earth is amazing. 4 spring rolls. Life is awesome. Never existing Casino.
Seriously, the random thoughts that we are expressing now do not even begin to describe the most amazing time that 4 couples could have together. From the amazing meals to the incredible service we (all 8 of us) had an incredible trip. Jojo's and Kampai were favorite's, except for the nacho bar on Sophie's deck (all rights reserved).
Ruben and Fabiolla, our butlers, made the trip. What ever we wanted, when ever we wanted appeared. Seriuously, we could not have asked for a better week.

Room Tip: Get a swim-up!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear repeating guests,

It has been really nice reading your review, I personaly enjoy knowing that our valued guest keep returing. We appreciate the confidence and loyalty truely.
We heartily appreciate your kind words and the whole lot of new guests we may gain thanks to you.
Hoping to receive you again in sunny at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma,

Kind regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I really do love this place. I spent a few nights here this winter before going to another Karisma resort. We asked for oceanfront and got it. Unfortunately, there is a path running between the ocean and the porch/swim-up. And with the new German resort at the end, the traffic was never-ending. The room was great - but in the future I'd actually stay clear of the "ocean front" of this reason.
The restaurants are great. I am a picky eater and I was NEVER let down - and I was ALWAYS full! Room service is "OK" - I think its time to update the menu. I am a member so I was able to book my reservations. I can see how a non-member would get frustrated with having to wait. I agree with many reviews that this really isn't "gourmet" but it certainly is a step up from typical resort meals.
This is a very large resort but I love how much walking you can do if you want to. The grounds are beautiful.
The night shows are pretty good. They have been the same for a long time though. It would be nice to just have a place to go dancing - didn't see that anywhere.
Overall - this is a great place. I'll come back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CANsam2005

Thank you so much for your feedback on our hotel. Let me express gratitude for your taking the time to write about your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are gathering all the information in order to make significant changes.
I have read all your comments, and certainly we are taking seriously your feedback and I see possibilities to improve so we are already working on them.

In gratitude, thanks once more for your comments. Be assured that your feedback is valued and important.

Yours sincerely,
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed April 4-11 in the Luxury Jacuzzi Junior Suite, had an incredible time.

The resort and grounds are very nice, well maintained and every one of the workers work so hard to keep it in the excellent condition it is in!! Also, they are always smiling and saying Hola to you..I dont think we passed one worker anywhere in the resort that didn't say hello to us!

The room was great, lots of room..nice jacuzzi tub, walk in shower and double sinks..lovely view of the lush palms, fridge re-stocked every day, pillow menu was a nice feature!! Housekeeping staff did an excellent job everyday.

Restaurants- food was incredible, ate at almost all the restaurants and never had a bad meal. Service was excellent, our favourite restaurants was Kampai (sushi was very nice) as well as both the Italian restaurants in the Royale and Casitas section. Santa Fe is a must, they serve a 7 course meal which cannot be missed!! A special thank you to Mauricio and Erica our concierge for the 900 block they were able to get us a reservation very last minute!! Drinks are awesome too, Angel the server on the beach did a great job too..he was out there every day in the heat taking our orders and was always very friendly!!

Beach- Lots of lawn chairs, palapas and Bali beds never had a problem finding a loungers..we were out usually pretty early, but did find some people who put their towels on the lawn chairs under the palapas at 8 am and never showed up until after 12..found that quite rude for people who were actually looking for some shade. The beach is nice to walk on and there are a couple good areas to swim, there are the giant sandbags lining the beach but they actually look like rocks so they did not bother us at all..as well they have developed the sandbags for a really good cause to help protect the natural reef and to help prevent the erosion of the beach!!

The best vacation we have had yet, we will definitely be returning..next time would like to try the Casitas sections.

Thank you again to all the lovely staff at the El Dorado Royale for making this such a special trip for us!!

Room Tip: Block 900 rooms were nice and quiet and were centrally located to almost everything!!
Dear guest

Thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to returning again. It's particularly pleasing to hear our team be referred to as Great and we will ensure your feedback is passed on to them especialy the ones mentioned, they will be considered under our diamond staff.
Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe. We are sorry that you encountered your self with the situation with the chairs being reserved, we will double our efforts to implement the rules a bit more.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards from your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma home and the pearl of the Caribe

Sincerely yours
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

What a fabulous resort, I would like to thank all staff who looked after us during our stay 28 March - 11 April especially the waiters in La Isla - Breakfast and Lunch, where we ate most days. Tried all restaurants for evening meals and didn't have a bad meal. We were offered an up grade for our last 3 nights, to the Casitas, my husband loved the outside shower, both rooms were fabulous. I was bitten my a mosquito on my face and had an allergic reaction, our concierge was very helpful and arranged for the doctor, thank you. We enjoyed the greenhouse tour, thanks to Danni for a fun couple of hours. Overall one of the best holidays we have had, and would recommend this resort, which us something I don't normally do.
A final thank you to Zully for making our anniversary special.

Dear Val and Paul

We really appreciate your lovely review.
We feel very proud to acknowledge you feel so enthusiastic about your recent vacation at our premises and we hope this will not be your last visit. Regarding the mosquito i am sorry you had to go through this incident.
As you may have surely noticed our resort is located in a reserved natural area.
Consequently, we are very much engaged with the protection of the environment.
That is why the procedures for insect control is very delicate to environmentally-friendly products and methods. The summer season always increases the presence of mosquitoes, especially at specific hours of the day and most likely, by the beach. Thank you for understanding and for letting us take care of you.

We hope to receive you again for another lovely vacation.

Warm Regards
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

El Dorado Royale delivers everything you could possibly want and desire in an all-inclusive experience. My wife and I stayed for 7 days and six nights.

Service:
From check-in, to the concierge, to the restaurants/bars, spa etc. the staff at every level were incredible. Each member of the staff went above and beyond to ensure our satisfaction. I found that in just a few short days many of the staff came to know my name and made a quick study of my food and drink preferences, thereby anticipating our needs/wants. A special thanks to our concierge Fernando and his team, Patty and Zully.

Facilities:
We found our room to be very comfortable and incredibly clean. The resort is very spread out, so do plan on doing a little walking. The scenery is incredible, so I never minded the walk. There is regular club car transport service for those who prefer not to walk, or have trouble walking. The beaches were clean, quiet, and comfortable. The pools were all very clean and comfortable. The main pool, by La Isla swim up bar, is where all the action is, however if you are looking for quiet, or to escape from us noisy Americans, there are plenty of other pools to choose from. I appreciated that the resort offered a great gym, which I utilized each day. My wife loved the spa services, especially the oceanfront massage.

Food & Drink:
The food at each restaurant was outstanding. Portions are are more in line with European and South American dining. For those visiting from the States and coming with large appetites I recommend ordering numerous courses at lunch and dinner. We ate breakfast at Cocotal most mornings - the buffet had everything you could possibly desire. We typically took lunch at La Isla - which was close to the beach and main pool. Rincon was hands down our favorite place for dinner, but D'Italia in the Casitas was also fantastic. Overall there is not a bad meal at the entire resort. I personally appreciated that each of the restaurants were able to accommodate varying food allergies. I'd also point out that as some others have complained about long waits at dinner we never had a wait of more than 10 minutes and when we did have a wait we simply grabbed a drink and enjoyed being in paradise.

I would point out that men do need to be mindful of the dress codes in the evening - no open toe sandals and shirts need a collar.

There are numerous bars. You'll never have to walk more than a few feet to get a drink. Our favorite bar was Guacamayas. Every pool has a swim up bar and all of the beaches have drink service. If you enjoy rum I highly recommend Havana Club. It is a Cuban rum that is not available in the States. Very very good.

Miscellaneous thoughts/comments:
I read through many of the reviews posted on TA previous to departing. I have high standards and thusly a few of the comments gave me reason for some concern. However, I did not encounter any of the issues complained about by other visitors. My assumption is that those who did complain simply are the types of people who will never be satisfied no matter the situation.

I came with the intention of leaving the resort at some point to pursue various activities inland, however once on site I had no desire to leave. I also found the majority of the other guests to be very friendly. Most days and nights we would meet and share a drink with fellow visitors from around the globe. Everyone staying at the resort was in great spirits and it added to the overall experience.

I highly recommend El Dorado Royale and I am looking forward to making a return trip in the near future.

Dear guests.

We heartily appreciate your taking the time to write such a detailed review on our resort El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.
We are sure futures travelers will find it pretty useful and clarifying as a matter-of-fact description of our site´s atmosphere will be a great help for future travelers when choosing exactly the place for some lay-back vacations. It will also be a pleasure to extend your compliments to our staff,
We are sure it will be a really nice way to encourage them to keep on being themselves

We hope we can welcome you once again and provide you a more pleasant vacation.

Kindest regards,
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!