“A week in heaven...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% Off + Credit
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
“A week in heaven...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

A week ago I returned home from the most amazing experience of my life. My wife and I chose to have our honeymoon at the Casitas and we chose right! From the moment our shuttle pulled up at the lobby we were treated like royalty. Stepping into our room we were blown away, high ceilings, fresh flowers and towel art adorned our bed. A bottle of champagne on ice next to the hot tub! Every single employee went out of their way to offer assistance and a smile. The resort its self is gorgeous, so much grounds but not one single piece of trash to be found. The beach too was incredible, with both natural and artificial wave breaks it left the shore tranquil all day and night, not to mention the attentive beach butlers that will keep your cup full without being intrusive. The candlelight dinner on the beach can not be beat. There's a saxophone player that makes sure to visit every couple and give them their own private performance accompanied with a four course gourmet meal. Incredible! Even after spending 8 full days here I was not tired of any bit of it. This resort truly stands out in my life and I can't wait for the next trip back. One of a kind!!! Do yourself a favor and experience it, you won't be sorry!!!

• Stayed June 2013

5,676 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,381)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent 11 nights here and generally speaking it was very good indeed. The staff were in the main very polite, knowledgeable and friendly, the grounds were perfection and the rooms all very clean. The Restaurants ranged from good to very good, but cannot be described as Gourmet throughout.

Our major issue was the number of very loud and rude Americans who were often in your face and tried to take over the resort. Not pleasant at all. But this is not a carte blanche attack on Americans, we met many who were polite and really nice to speak to.

Plenty of activities and the evening entertainment was great. Breakfast has to be in Cocotal - such a wide choice and high standard. One bad experience in Kampai, where our waitress was offhand and the service very slow. As a result we left after our main.

Our concierge (Block 10) Adela & Miguel were absolutely wonderful & deserve special mention.

Most outstanding part of the hotel was the Main Lobby - absolutely beautiful, the pool, that chandelier and the lovely fresh smell. Also, the Martini Bar was very good.

Would be go back? Yes probably, but would not rush back.

Room Tip: Blocks 10 and 11 close to Main Lobby & Cocotals.
Park City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Worried the first few days about being the only 3 single girls in the entire resort, but it wasn't an issue. Staff and environment kept us plenty entertained! We were treated so well, and didn't come across any of the issues in the bad reviews. So don't let them stop you from this resort. We felt like royalty from start to finish!!!! Food amazing! Staff superb!! Grounds like nothing I've ever seen!!! All around amazing!!!!! Marge at All Points Travel got us MUCH MORE than she even promised!!!

Room Tip: Premium beach front swim-up, we had room #505 and it was centrally located, close to beach and bars...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Leek, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

10 out of 10! That is what we told friends when they asked how we rated our experience at El Dorado! We stayed for 11 nights May 2013 and it was the best beach holiday we have had. Our friends have booked for a week arriving this Thursday (Paul and Shelley Harrison) for Paul's 50th birthday on our recommendations!

The staff were wonderful, the food fantastic and the ocean view rooms block 5 were perfect. A special mention to Humberto at Lomas Travel based in the lobby with whom we booked a trip swimming with whale sharks. What an amazing experience and what a lovely man!

Hope to return soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

yes we have just returned from our ninth visit to El Dorado Royale!And still it is not enought ! We will be returning in the future for sure.We have so many friends amoung the staff and they love to see us each time,just as much as we love to see them.Some have been working there since 2001 when we first visited EDR.That says a lot to us about the quality of the staff and management .
Of course..you must judge for yourself ...but we would not be returning to a resort...unless it was constantly improving!!!Everytime we go back its BETTER!!!
Things not to miss...The tempura shrimp and veg at Kampi!
The rack of Lamb in the Italian !
The fried rice and over easy egg for breakfast at Kampai
The made to order omelettes at Cocatal
The steak anywhere on the resort.
And for sure don't miss the Martini Bar!
So to all the great people we met this time ,June 7to June 14 we had so much fun meeting you all!
So a big hi to:
Andy and Amy..UK
Joan and Suanna...Canada
Scott and Joanna..California
John and Beth...US
We would be happy to hear from any of you and who knows maybe we will meet again at EDR.!
Believe it or not ...That did happen to us last year!LOL
Treat yourself to a trip here and you won't regret it!!!!
Lynn and Larry

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having just had two terrible holidays in Egypt & Dominican Republic, I actually read at least 250 pages of reviews on trip advisor ( admittedly - after booking el dorado royale ) The majority of the reviews were fantastic. Some bad ones had me worried.

I have just got back 24th June from the BEST 2 weeks at the BEST hotel I have EVER stayed in around the world. Looking back at any of the bad reviews makes me wonder what planet some people are from.

Hotel
-------

The minute you drive down through the short jungle and arrive at the front of this exceptional place, you just know you are going to experience something quite good. Upon walking into the cool lobby after experiencing nice bell boys take your luggage, then being greeted with a glass of sparkling wine is just soooo nice.

Check In with Edwin ( such a great man ) was super fast and very very pleasant. Edwin even offered us another drink and had somebody bring us a couple of cool refreshing beers. We had ordered a swim up and he offered us a deal on upgrade to Casitas. I had read alot about the Casitas end before arrival and I even managed to haggle him down further on the price so we took the deal. More on the upgrade later.

We were quickly taken to our room on golf cart by a friendly driver and it was just breathtaking the lovely grounds. The driver took us into our room with our luggage and our jaws hit the floor in amazement.

The hotel overall is just stunning and beautiful. The staff do an amazing job keeping this place pristine. If a bird poops on one of the hundreds of lights around the paths, someone is sent out to clean and paint it. It is as if there isn't a leaf out of place.

Rooms
----------

The room we had was 406 swim up. Open up the balcony, sun loungers in own little pool area with lazy river, climb out of this and its 10 yards to the beach. From our patio on the ground floor we could even see and hear the ocean, The room was alot bigger and nicer than we expected with huge double jacuzzi, fantastic sized walk in shower, his and her sinks. The bed was so big and comfortable.

Unfortunately we couldn't unpack properly as we were being upgraded to Casitas end the next day, so we got something comfortable on and went for fish and chips at Jo Jo's and had a few drinks.

The next day we were picked up to be taken to Casitas. We were slightly suspicious, when the driver asked us if we were not happy with the room we had ( as if he was amazed and knew the difference between it and the room we were going to ) I had already agreed with my girlfriend that if she didn't like the room, then we would not have it.

It was only a short drive and we were taken to room 2604 or 5 and the driver started taking the cases up a flight of steps. ( obviously this was not a swim up room ) This got us worried. As we entered, the room is round with conical roof and gives the impression it's bigger. We both looked at each other in disgust, not for the fact it was a horrible room but at the fact of paying alot of money for what we can only describe as a downgrade compared to the room we had. We walked onto the balcony, there was an outside day bed but no view of anything. The jacuzzi was smaller, the bed looked smaller. I could read my girlfriends face and within 1 minute of being in this room I was out of the door and waited to see the concierge just opposite.

Christian was helpful and asked us who the check in person was and got Edwin on the phone. Edwin was very very polite as I explained this was a downgrade and would like our old room back. Absolutely no problem, he arranged for us to be picked up and taken back. We were sat outside for quite some time and the bell boys didn't pick us up. Fortunately one of the golf cart drivers EDY drove past twice offering us a lift and the second time took us to reception and even went in and swapped keys for us and took us back to our old room. What a Gentleman. Back in the old room our holiday could finally start. Edwin refunded my card very pleasantly the very same day.

We had great Scottish neighbours each side of us for most part of the holiday. It was so lovely to just relax in the swim up and chat about how fantastic the place is. The last few days were a let down, a couple of american girls moved into the left of us and some guy to the right of us was obviously with them. They would lie there topless on sun loungers on wet towels and one day ( instead of ringing up and asking for a few dry beach towels ) actually walked onto our balcony and stole ours whilst we were at the pool. They would cut across our balcony leaving mucky foot prints. Downright rude. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with women wanting to sunbathe topless but when your faced with obnoxious people flaunting two rather small fried eggs, it just makes you want to order room service and ask for some raw bacon to fry on their chests too.

Staff
-------

INCREDIBLE. Everywhere you go there is an Hola or Buenos Dias from everybody, room attendants, gardeners, pool guys, security on bikes, golf cart drivers. 2nd day going into Cocatel for breakfast I was about to say my name and room number and Daniella had remembered my name already with a polite welcome. There are so many people I would like to thank for their sheer pleasantness I probably could not even remember all their names but Carlos in Cocatel as well as Daniella were exceptional. Anaisias the singing waiter brought a smile to peoples faces. All the other staff in Cocatel were great too.

We only ever went to the bars at Jo Jo's and swim up at La Isla, staff were hard working and fantastic. What I thought was great, was at the swim up bar. We tip for everything ( more on that later ) I wouldn't say you get extra special treatment if you tip at this bar, but there was a time it was busy and one bar man saw me waiting patiently, and had a word with the other guy and pointed at me and said something like "make sure you serve him, he tips every drink" Why I thought this was nice is that I don't tip to get special attention or served first - I tip because these staff DESERVE it. He made sure I got served as I was patient and there were alot of rude americans at the bar. He even let on to us walking passed Jo jo's the next day. Kudos what a nice Gent.

Room attendants, muchos gracias Rosy and your colleagues, what a wonderful job you do and are sooooo nice.

Food & Restaurants
---------------------------

We can not really comment much on this as we are not really big eaters or restaurant eaters. We went to Cocatel for breakfast regularly and it was menu or buffet. Your taken to your seat napkin placed on you, offered a menu or choice of buffet. Food in Cocatel was fantastic both from buffet or from menu. Great omelletes, breakfast burritos from the menu are yummy. Spoilt for choice with good food.

Kampai was nice, we had the sushi, spring rolls and chicken curry one day, absolutely excellent.

Pizzeria near La Isla, excellent El Dorado Dogs or burgers or pizzas.

Jo Jo's we ate once at and had the fish and chips which were brilliant.

Other times we had room service which was always timely and fantastic food.

Tips
------

I went with $300 in $1 bills and my girlfriend $200 in ones. We got through it all in two week. You don't HAVE to tip. We did because we wanted too. The staff deserve it. We tipped $2 a day for the room attendants - more on the last day and some days gave the mini bar guy $2. $2 at every meal. $1 every time we got a drink $2 one day when it was brought to our swim up. $2 for the room service guys. At the end of the holiday we even gave $20 to the pool guy who did an amazing job outside our room. ( Birds can poop alot - even Mexican birds)

Us Brits are not used to a tipping culture like in the USA so it was surprising for us to see alot of people from the USA not tipping.

Like I've mentioned its not obligatory. It's something we wanted to do. We didn't get any extra special treatment for it, nor did we expect it. These staff are amazing and DESERVED the little we could give to them and they do appreciate it.

Beach
---------

Don't let bad reviews put you off - the beach is BEAUTIFUL. Yes sandbag beach whales but this is to rebuild the beach and does not take anything away from what is a fantastic beach. Good Tip: pinch a few bananas ( sorry Cocatel for the bananna shortage each day ) at breakfast and go to the sand bags to the right of Jo Jo's where there are two safety rings. The fish will swarm all around you and take it out of your hands. Just brilliant.

Conclusion To A Long Review?
----------------------------------------

Q: Would I go back?

A: I have only just got back 24/6/13 and would like, and am seriously looking to go back for a further two weeks around 8/7/13. YES.... SO SOON. Am already missing the place. Have to check the pennies. However I have now found the holiday destination that will be hard to surpass so I will be going back there again and again and again. I just don't think I could go anywhere else now.

Q: Any Negatives?

A: ABSOLUTELY NONE! ( Between me and the hotel wink wink, I could have mentioned suitcase & a strange paint job that occurred BUT it would NOT have been described in any negative way. So in Kudos to this FANTASTIC hotel, we will keep this between ourselves and very well done in your handling of the situation. )

A good tip for anybody if they do have a problem, BE NICE, explain it. These people will bend over backwards to help you out and even go that extra mile.

I will end this review with a lump in my throat, tears in my eyes and a HUGE GRACIAS FOR THE BEST HOLIDAY I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.

Thank you everyone at El Dorado Royale and I will see you all again very very soon my Amigos. Thank you also Lomas Travel for three wonderful excursions, snorkelling with lobster dinner, Xplor zip lining and Chichen Itza - well worth the money.

Room Tip: Swim ups facing beach without a doubt :o) 406 407 408
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent, could not fault it. Would go again. All the staff were so friendly and the food was good, plenty of choice of restaurants. Entertainment every night. The beaches were lovely and clean. There were lots of weddings taking place while we were there and would fully recommend the resort for this kind of holiday/celebration.

Room Tip: swim up rooms are fabulous
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!