I stayed at the Royale in a standard suite in for my honeymoon. Here is a summary of my experience for those who are looking for some advice (coming from a late-20s couple). Overall, we had a great time. The pool was fun and the food was excellent!!! However, there are some kinks. Here is what we experienced:
Room: We originally booked a casita suite then downgraded to a standard swim up suite after getting a timeshare rental from one of the royale club owners. We saved a few thousand by doing so and probably would do the same if we could go back in time (because 3,000 is a lot of money to save) but the difference in quality is highly visible. The swim up was nice but we were a little turned off by the tiny little ants that infested the bathroom area the first couple days. We had to have maintenance come by a couple times to spray and although they eventually went away, it wasnt what we wanted to see on our honeymoon. Everything else in the room was ok but once we got a tour of the casitas (to see what we originally had) we were kicking ourselves as the casita was very clean and luxurious. Overall, I would rather have $3,000 more cash but was kind of bummed about the difference in quality. Also, we didnt end up using the swim up patio that much. We pretty much layed out by the pool or beach most of the day so didnt even need that room.
Food: The most memorable part of our trip was the food. It was great! the soups in all of the restaurants were amazing and we loved the asian restaurant! we never really had a bad meal. The only exception was the "romantic dinner on the beach." Although it was a nice setting, the food wasnt as good as the restaurants. We ended up leaving and going to one of the other restaurants. But that being the only bad thing, we couldnt have asked for more!
Activities: My wife likes to just lay by the pool all day but I can only do that for about a half hour or so before I have to get up and move around. The royale was perfect for me as they had activities every hour. I had a blast playing pool and/or beach volleyball and the resort even had games of water polo every day. I had never played this before but couldnt get enough and found myself waiting each day for the game to begin. They also had ATV trails on site which was nice since you didnt have to leave the resort to have some adventure in some jungle, beach and desert scenary.
Beach: Nothing like the sights and sounds of any ocean. While we enjoyed our times on the beach, it is important to note that most beach snobs would probbaly complain about this one. The beach bags in the water are an eye sore and the beach was a little rocky/dirty. Again, I still felt like I was in paradise but could understand where others could complain.
Pools: All of the pools were great. The water was a little cold but everything else was good including the swim up bars. Note though that they do play the towel game here. We were up early every day and still had a hard time getting beach beds/chairs. That was kind of annoying but again, we are the type that don't let things like that ruin our trip.
Location: Its kind of far from all the other popular mexican destinations but if you arent planning on leaving the resort much then shouldnt be a problem.
Entertainment: Not much of a night life here. The main bar pretty much plays the same music everynight and its kind of dull but we didnt stay up late much anyways after being in the sun all day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale
- El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort By Karisma Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico