“Exotic Travel Club” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 30% Off + Credit
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Edmonton Ab Canada
“Exotic Travel Club”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I bought an Exotic Travel Club Membership about 8 yrs ago. We went for the presentation with absolutely no intention of buying anything but soon found out it was perfect for us and our travels. We have used it at least once a year and sometimes twice. Their resorts may be 5 star but they are way nicer than any other 5 star we have ever stayed at. The service and restaurants have always be absolutely amazing. We decided to use the explorer side of the membership this year and are going to Hawaii in April. We exchange on of our Exotic Reosrt weeks for a condo in Hawaii. Regular room night at this resort is $350.00 for the least inexpensive room and I only had to pay the exchange fee, Under $200.00 for the whole week. This part of the membership is where you get your best value but I still absolutely love going to the Resorts in th Mayan. We have taken family and friends with us many times and they love it too.
They have a friends in paradise part to the membership that we can send friends and family at 50% off any time of the yr. We always go when the rates are lower instead of peak season and collect air miles for our flights. We end up with some really great prices. They are very high end resorts so we expect to pay a little more but is is worth it. You always get what you pay for.
We have stayed at the El Dorado Royal several times, the Seaside Suites twice now and the Maroma once. Loved them all.
We have also stayed at the Sensatori twice (our daughter got married there last yr and we stated at the Azul Beach once.
They are all different sizes so when our friends ask which one we like best, we just ask them if they want small and personable or big and more action??
All of our trips have been amazing. Have travelled with family, and friends.
The food and the service in the restaurants is to die for. Fine, fine dining. I have never been dissapointed with any meal I have had there. When in Rome!!!
If we have ever had any type of problem , it has been resolved immediately.
The staff at all the hotel has been amazing and the best service possible.
The El Dorado Royal has been a favorite of ours. So much to do , all the fine dining. Love it.

Room Tip: WE always stay in the room that gives us the best value because we are hardly ever there although we...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your great review, I'm very happy to hear that you have had the opportunity to visit many of our hotels and not just the El Dorado Royale. In addition it is great to know that the Exotic Travel Club has made it much easier and accessible to do so .

I hope you can find some time to return to the El Dorado Royale where I can guarantee, we will surpass all previous experiences.

Best Wishes

5,796 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at El Dorado Royale in December and the weather, the casitas, all seem like a paradise.

We treated ourselves to the casita with an ocean view. The room, 2 showers where one with no roof and everything else was so prefect! The whole resort is pretty amazing!

However, on a last day of our stay we've got food poisoning. We blame it on a lobster bisque soup served at Cocotal restaurant on December 31st. Probably the worst food poisoning I ever had in my life.

Here is some advice on taking any tours to Chichen Itza. You’ll be offered multiple choices. Make sure your bus stops at the hotel, otherwise a taxi takes you to Cancun first and then you’ll get on a bus. Bring snacks and avoid eating lunch. And at last, doesn’t matter how luxury the bus is, you’ll smell the toilet for 12 hours.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the El Dorado Casitas Royale . We are truly very sorry that you experienced illhealth during your visit to the Mexico and the El Dorado Casitas Royale.

The health and wellbeing of our guests is of the utmost importance and we can assure you that we follow strict hygiene procedures and we take many precautionary measures. Temperature readings are recorded, storage is inspected and each week samples of foods (raw and cooked) are sent to the labs to be tested. As well as this, we are subject to regular external audits and tests conducted by Sani consult, a leading company in health and hygiene standards and practices. We have exemplary results and we take pride in our high standards of health and hygiene

We have continued our investigations and all food samples have returned with no irregularities. Our Hotel Manager did attend to you during your stay and we have also maintained contact with you after your departure. we are deeply concerned for your health and wish you a speedy recovery back to full health.

If you wish to contact , please do not hesitate to contact me

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

When we decided for Cancun for our New Year's Eve and second honeymoon destination we was unsure about the hotel. We got the recommendation for El Dorado from our travel agent and I can tell it could not be better. The facilities are incredible, the staff so friendly and nice, the food is just amazing. The only "but" is the fact that it's not a completely all-inclusive experience, as you have to pay for the Internet and many premium drinks (wines and champagnes). I do recommend as a great escape for rebounding the relationship with your loved one.

Room Tip: I prefer to stay far from the beach, as most of the events are on the beach and during the night can...
Bridlington, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed in Dec after being advised not to go to the Spa by karisma due to work.So changed to the royale.
Being apprehensive due to some reports on trip advisor we arrived to an " amazing experience", our room was excellent ground floor as requested. Due to another unrelated incident we had no money with us so tips were none existant (sorry about that guys and girls) at no point did we feel at any disadvantage due to this, we were treated exactly the same as everyone is! friendly excellent service and always with a smile. We met lots of people from canada usa and england. The food is the best we have had in Mexico including our visit to the Excellence presentation is perfect, everything cooked with love it seems!I have a walking disability yet had no problems walking the length of the hotel layout, there are many buggies about yet we never felt the need to leap out of the way...?Drivers were always courteous and gave friendly waves while also enqiring if a lift was required, Mr Andrew Cummins one of the management went out of his way on a number of occasions to take us across the complex and all in his own time, a big thank you to him.
The beach is superb never mind the tosh about the sandbags as they are all over the coast not just at the royale and are for conservation, we had already booked to go to another country in January, or else we would have returned to this hotel. Well done to all and a big thank you.
from Hedley and carole x

Room Tip: All the rooms are superb
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and Kind words. we appreciate your comments and more so that you chose to spend your valuable holiday time at the El Dorado Royale,

Again Many thanks and I hope to meet you on your next visit to the El Dorado Royale

gm@eldoradoradoroyale.com.mx
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The El Dorado Royale is a lovely property, very well maintained with good food and great service. Make sure to make dinner reservations. I especially enjoyed the Italian restaurant. They did try to palm off a different type of room on me than I had booked. They were responsive, fortunately, and solved the problem. Grounds are beautiful. A nice experience. I'd go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your experiences with the trip advisor community and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the property , the superior service and our unique dining experiences.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future at El Dorado Royale

san diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Where to start, The check in went fine. We had a nice concierge. We arrived around 4 and after checking in went to the Cocotel Restaurant for dinner. That was mistake number one. My wife ordered the spinach ravioli with pesto sauce. I had the braised tenderloin with risotto. The tenderloin was great but the risotto was horrible with no flavor and slightly undercooked. The pasta can with a white watery sauce that had some mandarin orange fruit mixed in. What happened to the pesto? The sauce was so horrible that my wife did not eat it. I gave it a try and could not even eat half a ravioli it was so bad. I was excited for the "Gourmet" experience but it was hit or miss with the restaurants.

Room service was ok. The food was basic and generally did not come prepared as stated in the menu. They seem to make things however the feel regardless of the food description. One night I ordered a quesadilla and my wife ordered the taco platter with a chocolate tart for dessert. Let me start by saying almost all of the food portions are ridiculously tiny. So the taco platter had 2 taquitos, 3 chips with guacamole and 2 quesadilla wedges the size of a dorito chip. After an hour of waiting the food arrives. He sets it on the table and I look and see there is the taco platter and a chocolate dessert, not the tart. I asked about my quesadilla and he said that they did not send one and they did not have it on the order. I told him they repeated the order back to me so I know they heard my order. He proceeds to tell me that there is some quesadilla on the taco platter and I can eat that. I told him this was dinner for 2 people. He said I could order another one and they will send it. I said I didn't want to wait another hour for a quesadilla. He said he could get one in 30 minutes. At that point I was upset and said forget the quesadilla but what is that dessert. He said it is a brownie. I mentioned I ordered the chocolate tart and he proceeds to tell me know that it is a brownie. I had to explain that yes I know it is a brownie but it is not what was ordered. Again we could order another one.

On a separate occasion we had ordered some chocolate chip cookies. What eventually came was 4 oatmeal raisin cookies. Seriously, how hard is it put a chocolate chip cookie on a plate and send it.

Some of the food was wonderful though. Rincon Mexicana was a pleasant surprise for lunch and breakfast. We also ate dinner there and the food was good but the worst service. I ordered drinks and it took 40 minutes to get a margarita and coke. Not to mention it was the wrong margarita but after that long I was drinking it. Next was the long wait for the dinner 1 1/2 hours. Unacceptable.

Now away from the food. The concierge had talked to us about touring the casitas and reviewing them. We had booked our trip using our timeshare and they want us to review the casitas for them so our timeshare will add them as options for us. He said he guarantees it will not take more than 90 minutes. I said I don't want to do a timeshare presentation. He said they are not selling us anything and they want the review for our timeshare company to see they should add the other rooms. He offered us a couples massage and candle light dinner so we said yes. What a lie. We went at 9am before we ate breakfast thinking we would be in and out have lunch and relax at the pool. NOPE. They tried selling us vacation weeks at the resort. They even tried buying our timeshare from us so we could get what they were offering. The 90 minutes go by before they even show us a room to look at. I tell them that and then they take us to see the rooms. Now the rooms they showed us were fantastic. It made us even want to think about it but we get back to the office and by this time it has been 2 1/2 hours. We said we have not had breakfast yet and we would like to go eat and we will think about it. They said NO. We had to decide then and there. After that I just said No since we wanted to think about it and wanted to get on with our day.

My concierge had made reservations at restaurants for us so I called to make a reservation but my concierge was out for the day so I asked that person to make a reservation. He said to make a reservation for that night I would of had to call by 3pm. I look at the clock and it is 3:15pm. I did not know there was a restriction on making a reservation. So I call the next day and my concierge is off for the day. I again try to make a reservation since it is early in the morning and I am told only Casitas guests can make reservations. WHAT!! That is ridiculous. The completely favor the casitas guests and treat everyone else as a second class guest. The only hot tubs on the property are for the Casitas guests on their side of the property. They even have different colored beach towels for them to distinguish them from the others.

The night time entertainment was cheesy. That is all I am going to say about that. I could go on about other things but this long enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
As General Manager of the El Dorado Royale , I would like to start by expressing my most sincere apologies for what seems to have been a disappointing stay. It is very rare that our guests are not satisfied with their experiences , as you can see from the overwhelming about of positive reviews that we receive here on trip advisor nevetheless I have carefully considered your feedback and have discussed this with my Executive team.

At the El Dorado royale we are renowned for our Gourmet Cuisine and this is the foundation of our Gourmet Inclusive philosophy. We intend to reiginite your palette with unique combination and innovative cooking techniques. Everyone is different and because of this, we understand that not all dishes will be liked by everyone however being a Gourmet Inclusive hotel , the geusts will always have the option to reorder and our helpful staff is on hand to make suggestions.

Within the El Dorado Royale, like the majority of hotels within the Riviera Maya, we do have the presence of Exotic . They are a vacation Club and do provide a very different service / product to that of Timeshare. Exotic is an entirely separate company however we do have strict guidelines in place to ensure that their presence does not affect the holiday enjoyment of our guests. A gift is offered to any guests that chooses to accept their invitation and the presentation can go on longer than the standard 90 mins ,depending on the interest of the guests attending.
Please accept my apologies for the experiences encountered with exotic.

Lastly I would just like to clarify that all our restaurants do not require reservation however the guests staying at the El Dorado Casitas Royale do have the option to make a reservation for a set dining time if they wish. Many of our guests prefer not to be tied to a specific time in advance so that they can make the most of their vacation , without being stuck to any schedule.

Again, Many thanks for your feedback , it was very insightful.

Southam, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort for our belated honeymoon, at the beginning of December. I cannot rate it enough! The hotel itself is beautifully designed with a lovely spacious lobby area and champagne on arrival.

We were then taken by golf cart to our room which exceeded our expectations. The pictures on the website don't do them justice at all. We treated ourselves to an ocean front room, which was on the first floor, above the swim up suites. In our opinion this was perfect as offered a great view but with more privacy than the ground floor swim up suites. The room was immaculate thanks to Martha our housekeeper who visited everyday.

The bed was comfy, the jacuzzi was big and the mini bar fully stocked!

The grounds around the hotel are kept immaculate with a variety of beautiful flowers. The pools were all clean with plenty of areas to sit down and lots of shade if you want it.

The restaurants were all brilliant! We enjoyed breakfast the most as the variety was huge, healthy options as well as a chocolate fountain and beautiful pastries. The Italian at the casitas end was our favourite in the evenings and the service impeccable wherever you go.

We also took excursions to cocobongo club in playa del Carmen and horse back riding on site. This was well worth the extra costs and we really enjoyed both trips.

As we were on honeymoon we were given the wifi free, as well as a candle lit dinner on the beach and breakfast in our room on one day. We also received a complementary bottle of champagne in our room on the first night!

I would highly recommend this resort for a honeymoon all the staff made us feel really special and couldn't do enough for us throughout our stay. Other reviews talk about the sand bags being ugly and ruining the beach, I disagree the beach still has white sands and beautifully clear water. Don't let this put you off!

I hope we can go back again one day!

Room Tip: Really loved our ocean front room, modern and spacious and they even put a hammock on our balcony fo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments and I'm sure your review has helped many trip advisor users make the right decision when choosing their hotel for their next vacation.

I'm thrilled to hear that you had an amazing honyemoon and took full advantage of all our facilities, enjoying each and every minute.

I hope , on your next visit, we have the opportunity to meet.

gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!