“AMAZING!! Best Honeymoon Ever!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 28% Off + Credit
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
New York City, New York
“AMAZING!! Best Honeymoon Ever!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

Where do I begin? I have worked in the Luxury Hotel business in NYC for over 18 years and believe me, for me to write anything nice about another property is very very rare. My wife and myself work about 16 to 18hrs a day so the build up to our wedding was extremely stressful. To say we were excited to get away was an understatement. Well the day finally came and we couldn't get to the airport any quicker!! The entire flight I had my job on my mind....(how can I go 7 days without checking my email!!!!!) Well we finally arrive in Cancun and our American Express Van was waiting there for us, he politely took our bags and we were off to the El Dorado Royale. I knew nothing of this hotel but from what our Travel Agent told us and whatever we read on Trip Advisor. From the min we walked out the Van until the day we left we received the Highest level of service imaginable. I was blown AWAY!!! All of the employees there are genuinely happy to be there and it shows. We had booked a Casita with the infinity pool in our room. The room was gorgeous...just what we needed (how much time do you spend in your room on vacation?) The housekeeping staff was efficiently quick and the turndown staff was quite creative with their towel animals.

Our concierge staff Analilia, Claudia and Eddy were heaven sent angels!! We ended up getting stranded an extra 5 more days in Mexico due to the hurricane in NYC and they went above and beyond to make sure that my stess levels remained at low level. The hotel extended us a courtesy rate and made sure that we were more than comfortable with our new plans. We really could not afford to stay an extra week but they made it very easy for us to stay so THANK YOU ALL for what you did....I will never forget that.

The restaurants are crazy!! My wife became a Kampi addict! I don't blame her, that fortune cookie dessert was to die for. I must have had about 6 of them that week. Our waiter Leo at the Albatros bar was great. He always called me by name and always knew that I was going to have "The Mexican" which was my favorite sandwich. Our bartender at the Albatros bar "Darvin" was great. We had a wild crew at that bar and kept him very very busy, but he always served with a smile and kept our glasses filled. I think we worked him a bit too hard haha.

D'Italia was phenominal!! The food, The Service was all top notch. I felt like I was dining back in New York City. Whoever is responsible for training the staff here deserves a medal! I hope they patented their processes because I want a copy!

We will totally be back...we paid a lot to stay here but it was worth every penny. For someone who is attached to a clock and his iPhone, i never carried either one for the entire 12 days. That was the first time in my 36 years on this planet that I never thought about my life outside of my vacation. That moment was worth all the money in the world. My wife and I spent every minute together and got that much closer. We rarely get to spend much time together due to our hectic lifestyles and the El Dorado gave us that chance to enjoy each other without distraction.

Remember when you read these reviews that it is all up to you to have a great time on vacation. If you want to find problems....you will. I could have found problems as well but I went to Mexico to forget my problems and focus on my future. Life is tooo short to always focus on the negative. Find the positive in life and really make a difference!!

The El Dorado was more than just a hotel room. It was my magical place that made me forget the hustle and bustle of New York City and re introduced me to my gorgeous new wife and all of the possibilities that are at our finger tips. The experience cleaned my slate and refreshed me for the future. Don't worry about what time housekeeping came to your room and don't worry that you didn't get ketchup with your fries. Open your shades and look out your window....You're in the Riviera Maya, in one of the most beautiful resorts. Soak in some sun and have some Tequila......life is tooo short.

Thank you to everyone that made a difference during my time at the El Dorado Royale. You have made friends for life!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,474)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We just got back from El Dorado Royale for our honeymoon for 10 days. We were originally supposed to go to the Dominican Republic but changed it last minute due to Hurricane Irene. Because of this we completely overpaid for the resort compared to other couples we met there. I think our expectations were high because we had paid so much for the resort thus we were a little disappointed with a few things.

-The service from the staff is amazing. We never had a bad experience with our servers during any meal. They were always ready to help you with whatever you needed and would honestly run to get you hot sauce or ketchup. As far as tipping goes, we tipped $3-5 for dinner, and $1-2 for other meals and if we were sitting at the bar for a while. You don't need to tip if you are just going up to get one drink. The servers never seemed to expect tips and were very thankful when they received one.
-We were a little disappointed with the restaurants. Since it was low season there were often 2-3 restaurants closed at any given meal. This was frustrating because it restricted the choices we had as far as food. Fuentes was closed the entire time we were there which was disappointing because it received such amazing reviews. For dinner I would suggest Kampai or the Italian restaurant, for lunch anything is good but the health bar has really delicious wraps and sandwiches, and for breakfast Cocotal has a great buffet and la Isla has delicious enchiladas.
-The beach wasn't great. The sandbags are useful to prevent the beach from eroding but they sure are ugly! They provide a good environment for snorkeling which is nice but I don't think it's worth it. The beaches further down the are very rocky and steep which make it difficult to enjoy
-Use your personal concierge! We had some problems with our maid (she didn't mop our room the entire time and never made us any funny little animals out of the towels). They told us at the end that we should have mentioned this to our concierge.
-We didn't go on any excursions but we heard from others that they were totally worth it but that you should book them through your tour rep instead of the kiosk on the beach.

So overall we had a great time just relaxing and being with each other (which had nothing to do with the hotel). I don't think we will go back to this resort because for the price I think we could get something better.

Room Tip: If you get an 'ocean front' room try to get a room on the third floor because the palm trees...
brighton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We had our honeymoon here from 2/8/11-16/08/11 and all i can say is AMAZING!! I have to admit after booking this hotel i kept warily reading reviews and was starting to panic in the weeks leading up to our trip. in all honestly i neednt have worried at all. this hotel exceeded all expectations and more.

The flight over with Thomson was no problem, in fact we quite enjoyed it, we upgraded to Premier Cabin and well worth it if you can, seperate check in, priorty boarding, better meals, more entertainment and all drinks included!! the only downside we had was waiting at cancun airport for the other guests to arrive, sinply due to premier guests disembarking first and luggage straight through.

HOTEL -on arrival at EDR you are greeted with a glass of ice cold champagne with the most friendly staff i have ever met. Check in was speedy and painless and soon after we were wisked away in our golf cart for a tour of the hotel en route to our room. Our bell boy showed us the whole resort and boy is it big!! We paid the extra to have a swim up suite and as nice as it was we hardly used it, usually on an evening before heading out to dinner or if my husband was asleep!!
the room itself was beautiful, expertly cleaned and a bottle of sparkling wine chilling in an ice bucket with our hammock in place. the room is large and the furniture is dark but to be honest how often do you spend in your room, regarding previous comments about damp, we had one of the new air con units and set it to DRY and had no problems. Maid service was every day and spotless. We tended to leave A couple of dollars every couple of days and we had turndown service with mints every night and a new towel animal most days!!

the first week we were there we spent most of the time around the pool, mainly in the pool bar as it was so hot!! All drinks were very strong but mostly drinkable, especially the daquiries!!! Las ISla pool area was lovely and we never struggled to get a sunbed, the big palapas had usually gone by lunchtime though and be warned the pool water is very WARM! The beach area was our favourite place, at least there was a small breeze and the sea wasnt as warm as the pool. yes the sand breakers do look like whales but we kinda liked them and appreciated what they were doing, besides they are creating homes for all types of fish!

FOOD every restraunt we went to the food was beautiful although our faves were kampaii, d'italia and jo jo's and cocotal did the most yummy breakfasts. yes the portions are small but you can always ask for more, besides after 4/5 courses your usually full. we only had to wait for d'italia on 2 occasions and we just went upstairs to martini bar for drinks, never waited for more than 30 minutes.

SERVICE - the staff are so friendly and you will get a hola from everyone!! the resort itself is huge and can take a while to walk around in the heat but they do run the golf cart shuttle service right round the resort, we preffered to walk until we had a few too many drinks!! the service was spot on every time at meal times and you really didnt haveto lift a finger. we didnt tip every meal but did tip quite a lot simply because we felt the waiters deserved it. the best service by far was on our candle lit dinner on the beach!

if you get chance, book a sky massage, we traded in our massage lesson as part of our honeymoon package and just paid a small supplement for the sky massage, this was amazing, we did it around 6.30 evening and its just you and your husband/partner listening to the waves crashing into the shore whilst getting possibly the best massage ever!! So relaxing! small tip book it for the Casitas SPa and you will get to use the hydrotherapy pool for an hour beforehand!!

if i was to make a constructive critisism, for 5* star resort i felt the sunbeds could do with being a bit more luxurious, there are a number of palapas on the beach and round the pools but the remaining sunbeds are those white plastic ones you get in most resorts, but maybe thats just me!

all in all we had a fantastic 2 weeks and would love to go back hopefully for our 5 year anniversary, we made some great friends, had some awesome experiences on our daytrips and had the best food, drink and service we have ever had on any holiday we have ever been on. Go on people enjoy it, i know we certainly did!!

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the entertainment area!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011 via mobile

We stayed for 2 weeks at EDR and had an absolutely fantastic holiday but some things just were not correct about this place.

We were strongly recommended this resort by people who have stayed before saying how beautiful it was and how gorgeous the surroundings are and how great the food and service is and most of that is correct but instead of coming back from this holiday that should have left great memories for life, the kind that make you smile when you think about them!! We have come back questioning A, Is it 5 star and B, Have we paid to much for this holiday???

It all got off to such a great start with a quite breath taking lobby that truly blows your mind, we got dealt with very quickly and super efficiently. You then walkout into some of the best surroundings I have ever seen it really felt like paradise. We then arrived at the room and were very shocked by the what I can only describe as a 3 star room max, we actually asked ourself are we still at the same resort?? We didn't let that dampen our spirits to much as we knew it was just a base camp.

On the very first full day there we decided to have a jacuzzi but as we started running the hot water it started to come our yellow and dirty leaving scum all in the jacuzzi. We decided not to bother and just had showers but after our showers the next problem arose the air con decided to start leaking water all over the floor. We immediately went to reception and the young gentleman there was fantastic understood what we were saying, offered us numerous new rooms which we declined due to the fact of only just unpacking to which he answered we could help, which was great service but we decided to stay and agreed that if anything else happened we would move. So air con fixed and roomed cleaned all was good.

Day two we went to the beech and when we arrived home at mid afternoon we noticed a huge puddle of water again under the air con so we went down to reception again but was stopped by our concierge asking if everything was alright so we explained that air con was leaking for a second day we were worried it might get into the electrics and start a fire and she just didn't seem to understand us at all we gad 3 different maintenance men out none of which new what I was trying to explain and all said it was fine. Anyway god knows how it didn't leak again for 12 days.

The didn't feel the house keeping was ever up to scratch as the morning one never actually came in the morning was always after 12 which got very annoying after a while especially on the days when she was actually there at 4.30 just at the time where we wanted to go back to the room to relax and get ready for a lovely night. The evening turn down was absolutely great our lady was fantastic but we only managed 8 turn downs out of 14 which again just makes you question there attention to detail.

We thought that only 4 of the restaurants deserved to be on the complex and jo jo's was awful bad service, slow when you actually get served and food just not great. And the Mexican restaurant was never open which was an utter let down On the other had we had some absolutely fantastic evenings at italia and that was thanks to firstly jaime who was such a welcoming excellent waiter asked our names where we were from and every time we went in we got star service, Jesus was also excellent at italia too. We had another excellent night at kampi. The martini bar was fantastic although I did notice towards the end of the holiday if you didn't keep the tips up the service got worse and this was the same for the beach waiters. Should this really happen when you pay all that money to be there??

We really didn't appreciate the constant massag, free massage, 5 minutes etc etc every 30 minutes. A no should be a no.

The beach is absolutely fantastic and the whales as people call them may not look attractive but my god they serve there purpose in many ways and seeing all those different fish in the sea is fantastic.

We didn't get pre warned about the wedding fair that happened whilst we were there and we felt alot of attention was taken away from us just to look after them. There seemed to be people all over and the bar was full every night with them. We were also now aware of the works going on right outside our door to the left and to the back and from 7 in the morning they were banging and working which wasn't nice.

So all in all this place didn't quite live up to what we expected. We had an excellent time in places but also had so bad points and days that caused us stress which shouldn't happen on holiday. With the grounds and the lobby, the employees that are so friendly at all times and some of the great restaurants this place has the potential to be something very very special but it isn't quite there yet.

I cannot help but feel we have just had a bad experience here which has given us a negative vibe and I would possibly go back just to see if things we better and as good as they could be although I don't think I would recommend it to a close friend or family member.

• Stayed August 2011
Wicklow, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

My partner & I have been to a number of all inclusive's over the last few years, firstly Egypt, then Dominican Republic & three years ago we decided to try Mexico out. We deliberated over Hotels for a number of weeks, spoke to travel agents & reviewed the trip advisor reviews & decided to go with the El Dorado. We were so glad we chose this resort, as it is amazing. I would recommend Mexico over the Dominican Republic, even though we did enjoy our stay in one of the Dreams Resorts over there. I just find that the El Dorado was a nicer hotel with more restaurants & also Mexico has more to offer in terms of tours, excursions etc.

Last year we decided we would like to go to Mexico again & were at first afraid to choose this resort in case we would be disappointed the second time around. But again we looked around & decided that we didn't want to take the risk of going to another hotel & being disappointed!! We were delighted & so happy we made the right decision, as we had another fabulous 2 weeks here!

We got engaged at the beginning of this year & we had seen some of the beach ceremonies on our previous visits to the resort so after discussing it with our family we decided to get married here in July. There were 21 guests from Ireland with us on our special day & it really was special. The wedding coordinators are super professional, helpful & are great at helping you decide on those little extras that make your day. The organise everything for you & all details were completed in an hour & a half meeting from start to finish!! We organised a photographer through the co-coordinators & I would definitely recommend them. Our photographer worked so hard to get all the photos we could have ever wanted. I seriously admire their hard work & determination in that heat!!

As far as the food in the hotel goes - all of the restaurants are Al A Carte & the food is top class. You also never bore of the restaurants as you have 7/8 to choose from. The resort has great facilities, it's massive, with so many pools & bars to choose from & the beach is lovely too. I have read other reviews complaining about the sand bags in the sea, but we thought they were great, as they act as a man-made reef & attract loads of fish. We used to bring down a bit of bread to feed the fish after lunch which was great fun!!

In terms of drinks.......The cocktails in all of the bars are gorgeous, try the Miami Vice, it it our favourite! The wine is also good, I think there are a few house wines, we drank white wine most of the time, & I think our favourite was called Macabeo...(I could be spelling that wrong!!)

The staff in the reception, bars, restaurants as well as the entertainment & the cleaning staff are all hard working & super friendly. You will not walk by a staff member in the resort without them saying hello.

Activities:
The tennis lessons are great, early in the morning, but worth it, the coach is great.
Do the bike tour, it shows you around the whole resort as well as showing you the horse ranch & the greenhouses where they produce something like 10 tonnes of vegetables a month for the El Dorado & other hotels around the area!!!
Bads:
There are not much bad points to this hotel to be honest & definitely nothing that would turn me off coming back in the future...... for our 4th time! However, we did not have much dealings with the Concierge & therefore did not accept any invitations to go on a tour of the Hotel which leads to the inevitable time share presentation. It would just not be something we would be interested in, so we steered clear. But there were some of our guests who went for the presentation, but made it clear that they were not interested at the end of the tour & the were given a voucher of some sort, so they were happy enough! So it really depends on the type of person you are!

The 19th other guests that came to the resort from our wedding & took a 10 hour flight to be there all agreed that this is an amazing resort, one that we would all love to come back to!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Jackson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

This is my third trip to El Dorado Royale and it was as consistant as the very first time. From the staff, to the gourmet good, the top notch bars, choices of restaurants, and services, there is nothing that can compare! Prepare to be pampered and relaxed from the moment you are greeted at the airport by Lomas Travel and whisked away to this beautiful resort. Once you arrive at check in it is a wonderful experiece with a breath taking view of the lobby. You know at that moment, this is going to be a fabulous vacation!
The karisma resorts are immaculate with indoor jacuzzi and for those wanting a more romantic setting, I would recommend the casitas, with beds on the balcony and outdoor showers. This is a resort you can continue to keep coming back year after year. Can't wait to come again next year!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

DEcided to go all out for our honeymoon. The room was lovely. No bathrobes for 5 days. No floral decoration. On occasion got the towel decors on the bed. On several occassions were left waiting for service in a restaurant as waiter changed shift. 4 Restaurants ended up being shut. Never got to experience the 'amazing service' that they advertise. HAd two items of clothing taken from the room. Then the hotel lost our report for these stolen items. It included personal details.
Went to Playa del Carmen with the shuttle and 14 of us were left stranded as the shuttle was an hour and a half late to pick us up.
Got given reservations for restaurants, but they never told us they were shut. So then had to wait an hour to get into another restaurant. By the time we got seated they started closing the restaurant.
On our return TUI travel dismissed our concerns and took the side of the hotel. However we have copies of all documentation showing that the hotel have lied about numerous things. So all I can say is keep any bits of documentation you get!

Room Tip: Ask for upgrades
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!