“Most relaxing vacation ever! Cannot beat the food or the service!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 45 Carretera municipio de solidaridad, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 30% Off + Credit
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Most relaxing vacation ever! Cannot beat the food or the service!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

My husband and I have visited several resorts and done cruises over the years - and even own a time share in Aruba. Our last day at the El Dorado Royale, we asked each other if we had our choice - where would we be, El Dorado Royale or Aruba (pure Heaven) ... and we both said El Dorado Royale. We are already planning our return trip and trying to figure how we can get back there before the end of this year. Keep reading my "short story" below and hopefully you will be planning your trip there soon.

For us - this was a win/win vacation since we reserved our vacation and activities through Travelocity at Bucks4Me.com. Bucks4Me.com is a loyalty shopping website I joined for Free where I earn "bucks" for every dollar I spend on any of the stores advertised on their site. They have several travel sites - so I had no problem finding the best deal and "spending." We got a terrific deal at Travelocity and I earned bucks at Bucks4Me.com for every dollar I spent that I am then able to redeem for gift cards from all types of stores and restaurants. (Yea - more shopping!)

We reserved a garden style room (we recommend requesting building 800 - definitely ground level - right between the lobby and the beach - and two pools just about right outside the door). They offered to move us to an ocean front room since they had a few rooms available and we were celebrating a very special wedding anniversary. (Did I mention that the resort is "Adult Only"? We are a very young 50s - and the guests ranged from a lot of very nice Honeymooners and folks in their 30s, 40s, and on ... just enjoying "Paradise"!) .

You can use a bike or a bicycle built for two for 3 hours (no charge) to ride all around the resort. It is a large resort and if you ride as far as you can on the pavement north into the Casitas area - you can see the alligators that live there.

We witnessed three weddings while there -one by the pool, and two one the beach (one the groom and groomsmen in kilts - Very Cool!). Our oldest son is engaged and we came home trying to convince them to get married at the El Dorado Royale!

Anyway - back to the room ... we appreciated their offer to move us to oceanfront, but refused as our room was so conveniently located to everything and such a short walk to the Caribbean water where we could watch the sunrise. My husband could lay in the hammock on our patio and we could fix drinks from the bar in our room ... or walk a few short steps and have a choice of multiple bars to fix our drinks.

The room was wonderful! Exceptionally clean - Thank you Antonia!!! When we travel - we rate the accommodations by the water pressure in the shower - and the quality of the bed (is it at least as good as the mattress we have at home?). Well - this resort is 5 star and more!!!!! We thought our home had the best - WELL, the first shower we took at home after returning from the El Dorado, we thought something was wrong because the pressure was not very strong. :)

Let's take a moment to address the "whales" that are in the water right off the beach. Hurricane Wilma set on the El Dorado Royale shore for two days back in 2005 with 125-150 mph winds. Beach Replenishment is an environmentally difficult situation and you cannot just "dump" sand on the beach. I know that because of where we live and we deal with beach replenishment. Engineers decided the best way to restore the resort beach was to fill these bladders with sand and place at various positions right off the beach ... like a nature reef. The water is still crystal turquoise blue and the tropical fish swim all around. Please do not be put off by the "whales" - it is definitely an environmentally friendly solution.

The first day we were there we met a couple that vacationed there the first time right after Hurricane Wilma's visit and said they could be standing in the lobby and see all the way to the beach as all the vegetation was gone (now beautiful palm trees and tropical flowers). The couple has returned two times since then and told us they would not consider going anywhere else ... because it could not possibly be better!

We arrived at the resort about 11:30 and our room was not available until about 3 - so following some advice from the internet, we had packed bathing suits in our carry-on and enjoyed lunch prior to jumping into one of the many appealing pools. Wait until you see the beautiful landscaping - with all colors of hibiscus. People are constantly working to keep everything beautiful - and they do a great job!

Our best advice: Eat lunch at JoJos on the beach (Caribbean cuisine) - and be sure you ask for Waiter Victor! We were fortunate enough to meet Victor the first day - and ask for him everyday afterward. By midweek, even the hostess would see us coming and say "let me seat you so Victor can take care of you". On first meeting, Victor introduced himself and we did as well. After that, he remembered our names and what we drank. So when we sat down - our drinks would arrive moments later without even ordering. He would bring us a "surprise" entree everyday. By mid-week, we would not even order - just let him surprise us with the most phenomenal food (I love fresh grouper - and everything at every restaurant is so fresh ... you'll learn why later). Victor also works at Cocotel for breakfast where you will find the only buffet in the entire resort - although they do not call it a buffet but a "presentation" - and that is exactly what it is! A fabulous fresh "presentation" of foods you may enjoy to start your day ... to include guacamole and fresh salsa with chips. The guacamole and fresh salsa are "to die for." I ate it at breakfast and lunch every day!!!! A chef will also prepare an omelet with fresh ingredients of your choice - as well as Bloody Mary's and Mimosas that you can fix yourself ... or Victor (or Peter - another fabulous waiter- ask for him on Tuesdays- Victor's Day Off) - will prepare for you. Just tell Victor Steve and Dena recommended you!

The resort boasts "gourmet inclusive" - and that is exactly what you get. I think I took more pictures of the food presentation the first few days than anything else. I would put the food up against the finest restaurants here in Virginia Beach. And we have GREAT restaurants! You will be encouraged to order something from each course (appetizer, salad, entree, etc.) as the portions are gourmet and usually smaller than what you would expect. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. This is definitely the time to try something different that you may not normally order at home because of the expense. Every single meal was a treat - and delicious.

Our thoughts on the restaurants: Cocotal "presentation" and La Isla open air restaurant by Fuentes Pool (order from menu) great for breakfast - definitely JoJos for lunch - either of the Italian restaurants for dinner (but you MUST do the Romantic Dinner on the Beach - also described below). We did not get to any of the "gourmet corners" (you can visit the El Dorado Royale website for those descriptions) - or the La Fondue - or the Fuentes-Culinary Theatre. AND - we never took advantage of the free 24-hour room service.

As far as dress code - each restaurant is different - but basically for evening men need to wear long pants, collared shirt, and closed shoes. From their website: To enhance our unique dining experience, please comply with our “casual-elegance” dress code in all gourmet restaurants.
* Ladies: Capri pants, dresses, skirts, long pants, shoes, dress sandals.
* Gentlemen: Bermuda shorts, long pants, collared shirts, dress sandals, casual shoes.
Some folks did not comply - and my husband was quick to point out any men NOT in long pants since I thought complying with the dress code was important. Come on - how often do we "dress" to go out to dinner. I encourage you to "dress" as it does make each dinner special - and most people do "dress". It was funny though to watch my husband observe men in "capri pants" is what he called them. Evidently a European thing - which did not look bad at all, actually very stylish - but he just could not grasp that concept.

And speaking of the bars - top shelf liquor at everyone of the at least 13 bars throughout the resort! My husband's choice - Crown Royal Whiskey and mine Absolute Volka! Virtually unheard of at any of the all inclusive resorts we have been too before (unless you really want to pay). The bartenders at the our favorite pool would see us coming and have the double Crown and Dos XX beer (Cerveza) waiting. I don't think Corona is offered - but you will not miss it. We really enjoy wine - and they do have a great choice of house wine (included). You have to ask sometimes to get all three choices of red and white - but they do have them. If not, ask to speak to the wine steward for that restaurant. If possible, ask for Paul - the "Head Wine Guy" as my husband referred to him (although he did have a lot fancier title at the resort - from England).

If you prefer the familiar wines from the States ... or a more exclusive wine - they do have a wine menu that you will have to pay extra for. We did that a couple of nights and because of the dollar amount spent (I think $165 - not all in one seating), we were given a "Chef's Dinner" which is an exclusive dinner where the chef presents each choice and tells how he prepared it, etc. We enjoyed that with 5 other couples and it was a neat experience.

Be sure to enjoy the Mexican wines. They are very good. We learned that we will not be able to enjoy Mexican wines here in the States because the Mexican export tax is 40% which makes them no longer competitive price wise with US wines.

The service you receive at El Dorado Royale is awesome - in all areas. The waiters at El Dorado do not expect tips since it is an all inclusive - and yet everyone is so friendly and service oriented and seems to want only to be sure their guests are happy with everything. We would tip a few dollars at various times - and it was extremely appreciated.

The pools are fabulous! I really over packed this time because I lived in a bathing suit and cover-up. Then a dress for dinner and the evening! Speaking of dinner - do whatever you have to in order to enjoy the romantic dinner on the beach! A memory that will last a lifetime. You would not believe the desert plate we were presented where they had written on the plate in chocolate "Happy Anniversary Steve & Dena" - and the absolute BEST white chocolate/vanilla dessert I guarantee you will EVER eat in your life (and ONLY available at the Romantic Dinner on the Beach ... trust me, we asked)!

We only left the resort twice. To zip line and off-road at Selvatica Canopy Expedition and Adventure Tour (you do NOT want to miss this!!! The #1 Trip Advisor Tour for Cancun ... and they deserve it. Take this from someone who loves adventure ... but not really crazy about heights. See my review there.)

The other excursion was to Playa Del Carmen to shop. We took the free shuttle from the El Dorado (ran Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings because of the heat in town), but then took a cab back ($20-$25 US) because we did not want to be away from the resort for 4-5 hours. We went for a couple of hours and then back to El Dorado for a gourmet dinner!

Entertainment: To be honest - we only saw it one night. The music and swing bar (literally an awesome big bar with old fashioned rope swings) is very cool. We always seemed to get caught up at dinner ... meeting and socializing with other people ... or laying on a bed on a beach and watching the moon over the Caribbean (yes - you too can experience that!) So we cannot wait to get back to the El Dorado Royale to see the Fire Show, Dance Show, etc.!

Speaking of the Casitas ... El Dorado has a vacation club. Take the 90 minute tour and be sure to ask for Franco (he looks just like Opera Singer Pavarotti) - and is definitely a no pressure salesperson. We have done enough of these in the past that we were absolutely not going to do this. But they offered us a Romantic Dinner on the Beach as well as a 30 minute couple massage in the sky on the beach (ohh baby - this was awesome). We could not afford to stay in the Casitas, but I wanted to see the second floor room where their patio is a private pool. Unbelievable!!!!! So we went - and we really did enjoy the tour. Wait until you see the "Fantasy Island" accommodations. Franco was no pressure and seeing everything was well worth the 90 minutes!

Remember - you can stay in the standard garden view room (which is awesome in itself) and have access to all the restaurants and bars in the Royale as well as the Casitas. We rode bikes a couple of days - and would just pull over and enjoy the pools and bars in the Casitas (very few people).

I am SO impressed with this resort chain owned by ONE Mexican gentlemen who is into living green. You will see that at the resort - as well as you can tour the "Greenhouse" right on the resort where they grow fresh vegetable so they can offer the freshest vegetables at all times. We REALLY miss the guacamole!!!!

If you are looking for a family resort - check out the AZUL resorts which are part of this chain as well. And remember to join Bucks4Me.com and book your trip there through all the popular travel sites (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) there so you earn bucks that you can redeem for gift cards. More shopping online - even VISA cards that I can save up to pay for our next trip to the El Dorado Royale!!!!!

Enjoy the Moment - Every day is an Adventure - Make Memories and Make a Difference!!!
Put the El Dorado Royale in your "Bucket List" ... you do NOT want to miss this!!!

Dena M
Virginia Beach, VA

Room Tip: Tell desk staff of Special Celebration-Anniversary
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

5,732 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,413)
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

My fiance and I have both been to Mexico, in various areas and have stayed in a number of resorts, all 5 star. Without exception, out stay at the El Dorado was beyond compare. While it is a slightly older resort, one wouldn't notice by the wonderful, continuous upgrades (and with ongoing expansion and renovations you don't even notice going on around you!). We had a swim-up suite, and didn't even wait three minutes before one of the reliably pleasant staff were over asking if we would like anything.
The room was clean, spacious enough, and we were thrilled with our jacuzzi tub; bath salts and assorted luxuries were rpleaced daily. We had turn-down service, wih nightly "treats". I never even noticed someone come in and make up the bed, the staff is so discreet. Our mini-bar was always stocked, and staff remembered exactly what we favoured regarding beer brand, wine, pop etc, The 24-hour room service was fantastic and genuinely 24 hours. There is an amazing selection of restaurants, all the food was superb and beautifully presented. Special requests were happily granted.
The resort if huge, they even have their own vegetable garden! Golf carts are used to transport guests so you can leisurely walk or hop a ride. The grounds were EXTREMELY clean, and well-maintained. There are too many places to lie is a chaise longue or canopies beach bed to count. The pools are all clean and large enough, there are many swim-up bars, and service everywhere by all staff is without complaint.
Unfortunately, my fiance and I were robbed rather aggressively while in town one night. The hotel provided every form of assistance they were able to, including an escort to make our police report. They sent our concierge with us when I had to go to the hospital, and were very kind in making sure all my needs wrere met and called/came to our room to check up on me regularly. We had excellent medical attention from the hotel nurse when my fiance developed a nasty infection on his hand (we are rather accident-prone travellers), and no there were no issues with insurance or billing as the hotel graciously made all the calls needed. They also did not make us wait for medical attention when the payment issues were being cleared up (this has happened to a few people I know).
The Spa is fantastic and provides all services at a reasonable rate. We had the "couples beach massage" and it was worth every peso paid. I was not as happy with my mani/pedi but then nothing is perfect after all!
The beach is stunning, and there were no wandering vendors to distract us from out goal of doing nothing, whereas every other resort I have stayed in has involved fending off the carpet/jewelery hawkers to the point of extreme frustration. The beach and resort all felt very safe.
The staff - I cannot say enough good things about the El Dorado staff. Everyone was cheerful, helpful, willing to go out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful stay and all our needs were met. Management was available to sort out any issues if needed (we only needed Managerial assistance following our robbery incident which occured nowhere near the Resort).
I highly recommend this particular resort. Make sure to try the Asian restaurant, and expect to gain that vacation 5 (or 10 lol) pounds. Despite the Playa robbery event, I would happily return, to the El Dorado Royale or any of the Karisma resorts. Well worth every cent!!!!!
Rebecca Rutland/Richard Coleman
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: I suggest requesting a ground-floor room
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Rimouski, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Nice Hôtel, Very Good service, but the beach is rocky with sand bags... We was located in block 55: amazing nice view !!!!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Royale. From check-in to check-out, the trip was amazing. Had a swim out suite in block 44 and had no problems with the room. We ate at all the restaurants except the fondue one. The food could not have been better. Spent every day by the Main Pool next to La Isle. Was there by 8 in the morning and even by 10, there were plenty of open chairs and day beds that had not been taken yet. I cannot say enough good things about the bartenders, Victor and Angel, at that pool. They learn what you like and keep your cup filled all day. The only complaint is I wish they played music at the main pool not just over at the Fuentes pool. PM me if you have any questions.

Phila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Just got back from a week of R&R, first time to this resort. Was recommended by Travel Agent, it was truly wonderful,the size of the resort was overwhelming at first then as the days went by it seemed to get a little smaller once we knew where we were going. They have golf cart shuttles to get you where you want to go this was my only complaint seems we spent too much time waiting for a shuttle especially at night after dinner, All in all I must say was on of our best vacations, the staff went out of their way for everyone, we tipped everyone even though it was included they work so hard , food was good, beach wasn't as bad as people have said, going into the water to me felt like I was an Aquarium. I would definitely go back many times.

Room Tip: I would definitely go with Ocean Front.
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I arrived at this hotel on April 4 for a couples getaway with some of my family members. The hotel was nice overall, but the services were very inconsistent. We wer just in Playa in October and stayed at Secrets Capri, so I couldn't help but compare the two; and this hotel came in second place.

The rooms were lovely, however my bed was hard as a rock. One of my cousins had a very nice pillow top mattress that they practically had to jump onto. And my other cousin had a mattress that was in between. One of them got towel art every night, and the rest of us did not.

The drinks are not bottom shelf liquor, but they are not the fresh tropical drinks I got at the Secrets. The mojitos were premixed and I had to ask for a lime everytime I ordered one. The Daquiris and other drinks had the fake fruit flavor that was also premixed. It was impossible getting a drink menu. The bartenders just expected you to know what their specialties were.

The food was very good. There were only a few things that I didn't enjoy. I liked that you did not need a reservation, and really enjoyed Kampai. We went 2 times for dinner and once for lunch. I enjoyed all the restaurants besides La Fuentes for dinner. It was mexican night and had no flavor. The breakfast at LaFuentes was nice though.

I thought I could get over the beach, but I was wrong. Also we tried to take the free shuttle into Playa or Cancun, but they were full. We arrived on Monday and the first opening was the next Monday after we were already leaving. I think for such a large resort they should provide more free shuttles. We spent $100 for the roundtrip.

The room service was good, but there are no menus. You have to watch tv for 20 minutes to figure out what you want. The resort is supposed to be green, however it is not wasting paper to add a book in the rooms with hotel information and a room service menu. This would be very helpful overall. I don't want to go to the concierge for every little question.

Overall we had a good time. I think because it's so big the little details get missed and those were the things that were disappointing. All the little things really added up.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
KarismaHotelsResorts, Guest Relations Manager at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of your stay at El Dorado Royale. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our Gourmet Inclusive concept, specifically dining at Kampai. Our cuisine has become our trademark, as we continue to push creative boundaries to surprise our guests with unique food combinations. After reading your review, we have passed your comments concerning the quality of our drinks to our Head of Food and Beverage, we are very sorry that our drinks service fell short of expectations. We do try to use fresh ingredients wherever possible.

At present, we are currently reprinting our room directory, as in recent months we have made many improvements to our services and facilities and found the information within the room directory was outdated, the decision was taken to remove all copies from rooms to avoid any misinformation. We are expecting the new copies very soon however in the meantime we have introduced our interactive channels displaying our hotel information.

Again, thank you for your valued feedback.
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We just got back after a quick 5 day stay. We booked an oceanfront room and got the building and floor we requested prior to arrival. Our only previous trip to this area was last year and we stayed at Secrets Capri. EDR has them beat in almost all areas except the beach. Here is my summary of EDR.

Rooms: Our oceanfront room was clean and decent size with nice bathroom that had a large walk in shower. The AC is brand new and kept the room as cool as you would want. We were on the first floor and while we could see the ocean, it was quite at least 100 yards away with trees blocking most of the view. Probably not worth the extra money.

Food: All the food was very good and I live in Chicago which has some of best food in the USA. Our favorite was D'italia in the Casitas sections. While portions are not huge, if you order all the courses, you will be fine. We traveled with friends and usually ordered extra items for all of us to share. Kampai was also very good, and I thought the sushi was very comparable to the best places we have at home. House wines are drinkable, especially after quaffing mucho cervaza's and drinks during the day. We had breakfast at La Fuentes daily and it was superb. Every single waiter we had in all restaurants was well trained and friendly. With all the extra ordering we did at dinner, not one mistake was ever made. We usually at around 7pm and never had to wait for a table and I believe the resort was about 80% full.

Service: Overall, the service was great. As stated above, the restaurants have done a great job at training and it shows in how smoothly things go. We usually stayed at the La Isla pool and Victor was the best bartender on the property. While we tip pretty well, they treated you well regardless of tipping or not. Berna was a great waitress at the pool so you were never thirsty.

Pools: The water was great....at least 87 degrees....I love warm pools but later in the afternoon it almost got a bit too warm but I would much rather have that than freezing pool temps. They were clean and plenty of chiars and beds as long as you dropped some towels in the am. The only negative was the guy who handed out towel at the main pool, he would only give you 1 towel per person, while at all the other pools, you could take as many as you needed. Many of the vacationers around the pool referred to him as the "Towel Nazi". You spend thousands of dollars to stay here and you get ONE guy who thinks he is going to save the ecology by limiting you to one towel!

Drinks: If you wanted top-shelf liquor all you had to do was ask. One of the guys in the pool was drinking Crown Royal but had to go to the beach bar for it...we told him to ask to bring a bottle to the poo bar...and sure enough they had it at the pool the rest of the week.
The only beer served was Dos Equis...while I love it...another choice would have been nice.

Beach: If you are a beach and ocean person, this is NOT the place for you. While there are plenty of chairs and palapa's on the beach, it is really not swimmable and cant really walk the beach for any long stretch.

Overall: We would definetly go back, much better than Secrets Capri. I liked the bigger size as it gives you room to roam and plenty of pool and restaurant choices.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma? Share your experiences!