“A Wonderful Retreat - Plenty of Poolside Relaxing!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
You added The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 48 Carretera Federal, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Atlanta
“A Wonderful Retreat - Plenty of Poolside Relaxing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We had two weeks to enjoy our stay in and around the Cancun area so we spent the first leg of our trip gaining a better understanding of the Mayan culture and lounging at the awe inspiring poolside of The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Resort in Playa del Carmen. On the second leg of our trip, we wanted a more bustling and populated part of the region so we decided to head North to the Cancun hotel zone for nighttime fun and beachside relaxing at an all-inclusive, adults only resort.
I must say that I am impressed by the care taken to keep this property beautiful. The staff was friendly and the poolside waiters did their best to accommodate such a large pool area. Everyone says the pools (lots of them) are amazing - they are! The thing that I really enjoyed was finding the neat round stone pathways between pools to take you from one side to the other so you didn't have to walk around. It was like walking on water. The resort was full most of the time and children were plentiful, yet when I wanted to lounge in the pool - even float for long minutes at a time - I was at peace and could always find a quiet spot in the pool to just "be". I was even there
The rooms are spacious and our housekeeping team was great. At night, they turned down the beds with two chocolate kisses. There was a tip envelop left on the last day of our stay, yet we didn't mind at all because it was deserved . . . we usually leave a tip for housekeeping at hotels anyway (yes, there have been exceptions :-) .
This resort is not all-inclusive so you pay for everything, but the portions are VERY generous. For example, I ordered a Cobb Salad one day and was able to share it with four other people – we were all full. The deli sandwiches are also plentiful and not that expensive for the portion size. My only wish was that I had a refrigerator in my room so I could keep all of the ‘extra’ food I had ordered.
The biggest drawback - or you could say it was a positive if you like someone to know where you are at all times - is the Vida timeshare people . . . affectionately called the Resort Police. We rented a car for easy access to the Mayan ruin sites (Tulum, Chichen Itza and the Cenotes - caves you can swim in with natural water - a must see/do. Every time we tried to leave the resort, Vida would stop us at the front gate, record our room number, ask us where we were going, told us who to talk to and who not to talk to, etc. Then they went into a long talk about the Grand Mayan "Members Club" - code word Timeshare. This happened EVERY TIME we left the resort. We kept saying, "Don't you remember us from earlier this morning - or evening", and every time the SAME lady said, "I have to do my job, I have a lot of people coming in and out of here all day." One day the lady even asked to see what was in my hand and when she found out it was an invitation from another Member Only place (got that one at the airport - beware!!!), she took it out of my hand and offered us the same package if we didn't leave the resort. WHAT! This will wear on you after a week's stay, but on the other hand, if you come up missing or do something stupid- - at least somebody will know where you are.

Room Tip: Space under joining room doors is large and allows plenty of sound to escape. Had a screaming baby...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear eycmissouri :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our facilities the pools and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

It will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
Tyler, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The resort is huge but beautiful. I think everyone gets lost at least once. We traded our Villa for this property. Our Villa that sits on a golf course, has its own pool, hot tub and grill, only traded for a 2 bedroom master grand suite with a plunge pool. I will say our home resort has spoiled us because I can pick up the phone and call for a golf cart from anywhere on our home resort. At The Grand Mayan, we were told to either walk 10 minutes or wait on the next shuttle since this shuttle was full. So if a shuttle is needed, make sure you arrive early for it. After one excursion our family went one, only 2 out of 6 were able to get on the shuttle. The driver knew we needed to be delivered to building 1 because one of us had a hurt leg. He delivered others to building 4 and 5. Got out of the shuttle, had us sit for almost 10 minutes before acknowledging we were not getting out. He then asked another golf cart driver to take us to building 1. So our experience with the shuttles was horrible.

As for the Spa, the ladies at the front do not understand English every well. I called and booked for 5 people. 2 of our family members were teenagers which I informed them of when making the appointments. When I took the girls to the spa for their appointment, we were told they had to be 18 to have any spa treatments. They were disappointed, but we understood. The problem came later. Since the girls could not use the time, I took on another treatment as well as a family friend traveling with us. When we finished, the technician that performed my friends treatment recommended a different massage instead of the one she chosen scheduled later in the day. So again, due to language barriers, the front desk receptionist rearranged the appointments for later. Once the rearrangements were scheduled, I verified several times that my appointment and my friends appointments were still the original times. We were told yes. When my husband went back a hour before the family friend, the receptionists were asking where I was at that time but did not tell him why they were looking for me. So when our family friend showed up for her appointments, she told them I was at the pool and would be in for my appointment later. They scrambled basically to come find me at the pool. Once they found me, I was told I had the earlier appointment and was now 30 minutes late. They rushed me in and I was told I had to change in the treatment room, almost not allowed to use the restroom, provided no robe or locker or an opportunity to shower afterwards. BEWARE of the front desk. When I went back to speak to the manager, she knew about the teenager issue but had not seen my comment card and did not have any knowledge of the appointment change issues. I don't speak Spanish fluently, but the receptionist informed the manager that I must have misunderstood the times because I was drinking. I had one drink in between my appointments and had ordered another just prior to be rushed off to the spa. The best the manager could do to make this up to me was provide a free 25 minute foot massage at the pool after spending 16.540.60 pesos that day in the spa! SO BEWARE OF THE SPA!!!!!

And finally, watch out for the "update." It is a way to get you to look at the property. They offered to purchase our property, use its equity, so we could buy at The Grand Luxxe. The Grand Luxxe is very comparable to our Villa and very nice. It is hidden away from the main areas just has it should be. The lady showing us the property had to get "special" permission to show us the suites. But the numbers did not make sense....So BEWARE...We did not buy and were very thankful that we did not after all the other issues we experienced on the property.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Babz72 :

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about The Grand Mayan. It is nice to learn you think our property is beautiful.

On the other hand, we are surprised to learn we were unable to meet all your expectations. We generally receive very favorable comments about our staff and the service they provide; unfortunately in this instance, it would appear that is not the case. Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration and will be shared with all areas concerned in order to provide you everything that you need to make the most of your vacation.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards,

Pleasanton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Before you book this hotel you have to ask yourself if you are a pool person or a beach person. If you are a beach person this hotel is not for you. Their beach is very rocky and not pretty. If you are going all the way to the Riviera Maya I believe you are looking for a nice beach. Their pools are amazing and if you love pools they are beautiful and clean so if you are happy with pools this hotel is for you.
Another question.. are you ok with a hard bed? I'm not so this hotel is not for me... the rooms are nice, big, clean and beautiful but the beds are supper hard.. for the last couple of nights I slept on the couch because it was more comfortable.
If views are important for you this hotel will not be for you. We are used to stay in Cancun and have a beautiful view of the ocean, the best you will get here will be some jungle or the golf court. If you are lucky a lagoon. we were on the first floor and had a view of the construction and an old car that was parked in front of our room, it was there the whole time, never moved.. a bit strange.
Also you have to consider if you like walking a lot... because that is what you will be doing. The resort is huge and if you are not on building 1 you will be walking a lot..so be prepared especially if you are going in the Summer because it makes it harder to walk in extreme heat for 20 minutes.
Dodge the sales people for the timeshare.. they lie so much that it is unbelievable..we are pretty used to timeshare sales speeches but nothing could ever have prepared us for this..after 5 hours we got something and a day latter when we were reviewing our contract we found out that we did not buy at the resort in Riviera Maya but at Puerto Vallarta .. so grateful we had 5 days to cancel it. They tried to fix it but I could not believe another word from them.
Another problem with this hotel is that they have different shuttles to take you to your room and they have 4 or 5 different resorts in one( I can't remember all the different hotels they have in there), so if you are at the Bliss your shuttle comes very fast, if you are at the Grand Residences they come even faster, but if you are just staying at the Grand Mayan Jungle your shuttle will take much longer to come ( like second class citizens ha ha ) it can take you almost an hour to go to the room and come back to the pool area, 20 minutes each way. I had no patients to wait for the shuttle so I did a lot of walking. I'm pretty good getting situated and fiddling my way, but my husband kept getting lost. So this can be a confusing resort.
The landscape is gorgeous so you may not mind getting lost or walking around a lot..
This is a big resort and beautiful but I do not feel like coming back because I do love my views in Cancun and I feel very tiered form this vacation.
Internet is very expensive here $80 per week per device so be prepared.
Restaurantes are ok but pricy. The Italian one on the main building on top of the gift shop is pretty but for the price $$$ they have terrible pasta. You are paying for dining with air conditioning.
The cocktails at the pool are very expensive and small compared to other resorts in the area.
The gym and spa are very nice and always empty , but after all the waking who has energy for the gym? Hope that helps! Have fun planing your trip.

Room Tip: For The Grand Mayan ask for 3rd floor and buildings and and two are the best. Less time walking ever...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kaety F :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are glad you enjoyed the grounds and that you found our property to be beautiful.

Regrettably, it would appear we did not meet all your expectations. Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation. Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration in order to provide you everything that you need to make the most of your vacation. We would like to point out as well, that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

If we are fortunate to welcome you back in the near future, we are confident your stay will be a unique pleasant experience.

Warmest regards,

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Beautiful resort but the meals and drinks are very pricy! The resort is a drive from the city so either you need to rent a car or take the taxis which can add up quickly. Its a nice place to sit by the pool and relax. If you go, make sure to visit Rio Secreto.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear FLTraveler219 :

Thank you for providing your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We are happy that you found our property to be beautiful.

Your comments are always welcomed. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay enjoyable. Also We would like to point out as well that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Best regards,

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I recently stayed here for a week with a group of friends. There were 10 of us. The resort is beautiful and the pools are amazing! We had a great time just lounging by the pools and using the swim up bars. You must try at least one Coco Loco drink. The presentation is like nothing else. One down fall is that the resort is about 30 minutes to downtown Playa del Carmen and the cost of cabs can add up quickly.

Room Tip: The resort is huge! Choose a building close to the pool area to avoid long walks.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Travler458 :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are so glad you had a blast with your friends enjoying our facilities, pools and restaurants.

Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation, and we are pleased to learn we achieved this goal by reading your comment.

We will be delighted to welcome you back!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Rather than repeat all the same comments about the giant pool, paved trails thru jungle landscaping, happy attentive staff and frequent shuttle transportation around this expansive three story resort. I want to give more of an overview to what I think management is trying to do here. The goal is to provide a sanctuary for your enjoyment and to make departures from the resort property unnecessary. They have big plans for a casino,water park, entertainment venue, big beach upgrades etc, you can see it happening right now. I am concerned that they are pricing themselves out of the game as everything they offer is expensive. Dont get me wrong I am an owner and I recommend this resort. We took 2 all day excursions for $159 per person with an outside company called mayan explorers, I found them here. They did a great job and we enjoyed several experiences not offered by the grand mayan in house. The cave swim was amazing at Kantun-Chi. One last thing one of our kids developed an ear infection and when I called medical we got attention in our room for him in 30 min at 1:30 in the morning. WOW that was amazing! He was on the way to recovery the next day and we never had to go out to get his meds they had everything right there. Best wishes to all.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear ken s :
Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your past stay with us at The Grand Mayan. We really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

We truly look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Tyler, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Complete ripoff- plain and simple. We swapped timeshare for this property which was to include free internet access for as many devices as we had. We verified several times. Yet we still had to provide proof and fight over it at time of checkout. With 8 devices at $950 pesos each they tried to charge us almost $750 USD until we argued and dug through receipts that included one that said free internet. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Margaritas were almost $13 USD EACH! Are they out of their minds? They demand you take their taxis, which are also a total ripoff. For a 15 minute ride it was $52. Service at the restaurants was mediocre at best, and they automatically include gratuity. Speaking of which- for 3 adults and 3 children the average breakfast was $140. The average dinner was $325. If you have timeshare they try to sell you on their property by telling you about an "update" and then spend hours trying to convince you to sell your existing property and spend 10 times as much on their property. They try to make it sound good by telling you there are no maintenance fees and they will buy back your weeks for the first 5 years and pay you. However, anyone with basic math skills can determine it's a complete sham. Oh, and if you think you're actually getting 10% off on your entire bill by listening to their pitch you have another thing coming. When you check out you'll be told that's just on drinks. And overall service on this property is sorely lacking. We needed a ride to the front and asked the guys standing around in front of 3 golf carts to give us a ride so we didn't miss a tour only to be told it was only a 10 minute walk. Last but not least when it comes to complaints- forget swimming on their beach because it's extremely rocky. However, this is a beautiful property. It's just not worth all the hidden costs and bad service.

Room Tip: Building one or two are your only hope from having to hike to central locations.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jeff P :

Thank you so much for choosing The Grand Mayan for your vacation and for sharing your review with us.

We are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. Your feedback will be shared with all the appropriate areas in order to continue working towards exceeding all our guests’ expectations. We would like to point out as well that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

Your comments are always appreciated.

Warm regards,

The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Management.

Been to The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!