“Excellent resort!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
You added The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 48 Carretera Federal, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
“Excellent resort!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The resort was excellent from the friendly staff that welcomes you,to the room service everyday the room was clean and made my stay at the riviera maya a total joy, definatly will come back soon the only upsidedown was the beach too many rocks...

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
Princeton, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Pleasant, but by no means great.
1) On arrival, reception had our reservation confirmation, but the wrong name. We had reserved a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen, and they were able to find one for us in only a few minutes. On arrival into the suite, the second bedroom was locked off and took over an hour to get the room open.
They had no problem whatsoever in arranging a sales presentation and breakfast buffet for the following morning.

2) Refrigerator glass shelves were poorly fit - unsafe for groceries. After 2 days, 4 calls to front desk and a "promise" by the salesperson to "look into it", a single replacement shelf was brought to the door - it also did not fit. Later the 3rd day a replacement refrigerator was brought and exchanged. It too had faulty shelves. It appears that there was a problem with the unit in general, the internal side walls bowed and shelves just drop out of the track edge.
At least they tried.

3) Our units were on the ground floor. The metal pocket door separating the patios between our bedrooms was locked shut. Two calls to maintenance were required before a fellow opened it by hammering the latch plate using a screwdriver as a chisel, mashing the latch into the door, then pounding the bent latch pate back into place. Noisy, a bit slower than using a key, but it worked.

4) A leak in the bathroom wall of the guest bedroom led to a moldy smell, a developing puddle on the floor. One call to maintenance was all it took to get it repaired. We were out all day, I do not know how long the repair actually took.

A small fruit plate was delivered, from management, with a note saying "sorry for the problems"

5) The following night the master bathroom toilet was wet on tank, seat and floor: a continuous drip through the sagging ceiling directly above the commode. Likely from the bathroom immediately above us, and not my idea of good hygiene. Again, one call to maintenance and the ceiling was patched and leak stopped while we were out for the day (climbing the ruins at Coba, well worth the trip!).
There was dried wallboard paste/patch material dried onto the toilet seat, and the toilet had not been cleaned. The patch cracked while drying, and fell out by our last day. No further leaks were noted.

To my mind, this all-pervasive decay of facilities, and too-frequent calls to maintenance (and quality of repair work) prevents me from ranking it any higher than Average.

With the exception of the toilet seat/plaster and one housekeeping failure to take out our kitchen trash, the facilities were otherwise very clean and attractive.

Our trip was planned around driving to various beaches, historical sites and ruins, so we did not mind that the resort is not suited for local exploration.The local beach is very rocky and not particularly nice (but the pools are both huge and nice.)
Walmart and Costco are about a 25 minute drive and we cooked all but 2 of our meals in our unit. No oven, but does have stovetop and microwave.

Sales presenters: Avoid them like the plague of locusts that they are.
They are friendly and personable.
I think the previous reviewers here who have criticized them were being very polite and diplomatic.
Not particularly good listeners, they had a difficult time wrapping their heads around the fact that i was NOT in fact there as an RCI owner wanting to trade/sell/buy. They also (as reported in other reviews here) promised a 90 minute presentation AFTER the breakfast buffet, and which our guests did not need to attend, but proceeded to "register" us for 55 minutes before they would listen to my request for the offered meal breakfast... and then sat with us making a pitch while we ate. Two hours into this, after my guests left, upset, the salesman said, "OK, now we can begin the presentation", and insisted that we needed to sign a document stating that we were happy with our RCI ownership and would not sue them (what part of "I DO NOT OWN RCI did he have trouble hearing?) or that we would buy what he was selling.
I let him know I was in no way obliged to sign any document whatsoever, and he was "concerned" and suggested we go to the main office. He instead lead us to the demonstration residence/apartment nowhere near the office. At this point, my wife bolted, nearly in tears at his misrepresentation of the entire morning. Half a day of vacation shot!
I made our distress clear to the friendly folks at the sales front desk (main lobby, next to the concierge) and they agreed to double the originally promised 500 peso credit, 10% off all purchases on-site, plus a full week of wifi paid for by the salesman (950 pesos) as well as a spa treatment for my wife (approximate retail cost of US $100), all of which they did, in fact, make good on.
They inadvertently put one of the 500 peso credits on my guest's room charges, but that was noted by the sales desk person and agreed to by me and our guests.
Two days after arrival home in the US, I received a call from someone claiming to be from "the front desk" asking for my guest's telephone number so they could ask him to pay them back. "I know it's only a small matter of $40 dollars, but my friend here will have to pay for it if your guest doesn't refund him." I politely declined to give him the information, and told him to refer to the front sales desk person, by name. And then I hung up. Laughing.

So, nice looking place, great pool, poor beach, too many in-room maintenance issues to be fully comfortable, and a "Fractional Ownership" salesforce to be avoided (unless you are willing to bargain hard and negotiate a far price for YOUR time spent with their silliness).

Compared with some of the nicer resorts by Wyndham, this place barley gets into "Average" ratings.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear World_ER_MD :

Thank you so much for choosing The Grand Mayan for your vacation and for sharing your detailed review with us. We are glad to learn you liked our resort and pools.

Regrettably, we did not meet all your expectations. Nevertheless, this will be shared with the appropriate areas so they can look into each one of your observations, since they work diligently to ensure that our facilities are in the best condition possible for our guests to enjoy.

As one of the most successful companies in the Mexican tourism field, we clearly communicate the terms and conditions associated with accepting an invitation to our sales presentation and everyone - at free will, attends and we appreciate their visit whether they decide to acquire our products or not.We are all committed to excellence, integrity, and above all your satisfaction; and this will help us perfect our performance.

We do appreciate any feedback being provided to us.

Best regards,
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Management.
Queretaro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Everything in the hotel is great! The pools are amazing and many of them. The service is great, whenever you ask for something they help you straight away. The only inconvenient for me was to have behind us the guys trying to sell the time shares. When I am on vacations, the least that I want is to have appointments. Besides that everything was great, although the other reviews are correct, the beach has many rocks.

• Stayed November 2013
SanDiego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Let me be blunt...
Nice place, but the extra charges soured me in the whole affair.
You be the judge
Internet: $12 a day, PER DEVICE (and it sorta sucks some of the time) WiFi at most places, even at Motel 6 is FREE! Even at Starbucks, even at the airport...Heavens, I HATE being soaked for WiFi! Especially as the WiFi here SUCKED, it was slow, often down. Here is a tip, get extended date coverage from T Mobile or Verizon, my friends did. When the internet was down at Grand Mayan I used theirs, even for voice.
Gym Fee: $5 / day ...showers, jacuzzi are a whooping $25/day extra...the gym IS awesome btw
Jacuzzi Fee:...$25 / day ...no I did not make that up (this is part of the gym, but you have to pay extra, (none of the extensive pools on property have Jacuzzi temperature water)
Tax, not expensive, but gets old,...about $3/day
At least the parking was free., for now.

Our rooms (building 9) were so great, everything else is top -notch ...I just HATE a separate charge for stuff I think should be included. If you pay for the gym, you should NOT have to pay again for the shower/jacuzzi.

And about the resort layout..no kidding, you either have to be really patient and wait for shuttles or prepare to walk. I averaged 5+ miles a day going from our building to the beach and back a couple of times per day. It is pleasant walking, but gonna be hell with young kids or people who do not enjoy walking. For example, if you come with elderly parents, you will simply have to wait for shuttles, ...they come..but you will need to wait. 'Nuf said. Consider other smaller resorts for the young or less than able to walk about 3 miles a day. People write this over and over , but you don't get it until you are here. And the outlying buildings (6-12) have nothing, no restaurants, pools, nothing. It is walk or wait. Buy groceries in Cancun or Playa del Carmen and you are OK, as there is nothing close by except the mini market on property. It is sort of well-stocked, but expensive.

Some other tips
Cenotes, do not miss this. Google Cenote Siete Bocas (about 15km west of Puerto Moreles), ...really cool, not busy, about $12-$15/person
Snorkeling. Go to Puerto Moreles pier and negotiate., about $13 per person for 2+ hours. Don't take little kids, poor swimmers or or those prone to sea sickness...lotsa surf and current, but we loved it!

Dear KJFromSan :

Thank you for choosing The Grand Mayan for your vacation and for sharing your review with us.We are glad to learn you thought our resort was nice, you enjoyed our accommodations and the gym.

Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration as it helps us improve our services. We would like to point out as well, that our prices are competitive compared to other resorts.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcomed.

Best regards,
The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Management.
Angels Camp, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Grand Mayan - Riviera Maya is by far the best resort I have visited. Where to start?

What do you want in a vacation? For me, I was looking for a week of relaxation with no timeline or obligations. What I got: a week of pure bliss that has me itching for more.

From our arrival, the lobby was overwhelming in beauty. Due to our early arrival, our room was not ready. We were provided with a round of drinks and we were off to explore! Everything took our breath away.

The pools: are beautiful in every way. Some are endless infinity pools, some are seemingly miles wide, some have swim up bars, and some are surrounded by lush palms. Day or night, the pool is the place to be! Warm chairs, perfectly salted water, and beautiful lighting at night!

The food: Let's get real, I'm a foodie. Every single meal I enjoyed was memorable. From prime rib at the onsite Italian restaurant to the awesome authentic Mexican food from Taco Break. You won't be disappointed by enjoying your meals on property.

The beach: has some room for improvement. A hurricane ripped away much of the sand and exposed rocks. Apparently the developer is working on a project to improve the conditions. Stick to the pools.

The room: oh the rooms! Honestly the cleanest hotel room I have ever stayed in. The housekeepers even pull out ALL of the furniture and clean behind/under it every couple days. Well furnished with modern decor. Fully stocked kitchen, and a nice balcony to sit on in the evening. The only down side is that the bed was too firm for my liking. Not enough to detract from a five star review ;)

The Town: You could spend your entire vacation on the resort and be satisfied. But to get the most out of your experience, skip Cancun and visit the neighboring town of Playa Del Carmen. Shopping, dining, entertainment, Starbucks, and fun! The people are genuine and kind (unlike some other parts of Mexico where the cruise ships drop people off, the people actually value your presence and make you want to return!).

Overall a great experience, and we are hoping to return next you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Got back Monday night (regrettably). We went as guests with friends who have a timeshare and were upgraded to the 2 bedroom w/common area. Nothing but praise for the accommodations, choices of pool/beach and staff. We were on the 3rd floor of Building 5--I didn't think the way to anywhere was too far (forget the fact that just when I thought I knew all the paths, I kept getting lost--it's me, not them). Wifi was decent--some spots better than others and sometimes it was slow but that might have been about demand on the system. One recommendation I'd make is to bring extension cord(s) as there are not that many outlets and it would allow you to charge a device while sitting on the balcony! Even though we weren't traveling w/kids, I liked that balls, floats, etc were allowed in the pool so they could have fun. We were also fortunate that since it was after Thanksgiving, and before Christmas, so the resort wasn't at all crowded. Plenty of places to sit alone by pool and/or beach. I thought the Italian restaurant was the best, wish we hadn't gone there for the first time on the last night we were there. Gong was also very good and we enjoyed having Armando be our waiter two times, he remembered us w/out any prompting! Staff was really superb.

We did not experience any of the mold/musty complaints mentioned by others. We had rented a car for the week so stocked up on breakfast and lunch stuff at the Mega. Next time, wouldn't rent a car and would buy groceries at Jade--parking lot was close to our building and no complaints there. Havana Moon was okay--2 dinners were very good (seafood special--that's the name on the regular menu and the cuban sandwich), 2 others were so-so (ribeye and salmon). Hamburgers from bar menus were very good as were quesedillas. Freida's was pretty good. Evening lighting on the paths could be a little brighter for some so flashlight is a good idea. Re: sales pitch--we were NEVER approached by anyone.

We went to Playa del Carmen for dinner one night to French restaurant recommended by concierge, 2 lamb dinners that were delicious, 2 whole fish (and I do mean whole) were okay. Chocolate soufflé dessert (typical 15 min wait) was exquisite, chocolate mousse delicious. Same touristy stuff sold at multiple shops, won't be missing anything if you don't make the trip.

Room Tip: I loved Bldg 5, 3rd floor--could hear music from party areas but was enjoyable from that distance, e...