Just returned from 7 days at the Grand Mayan as a couple traveling with friends. The resort is beautiful, the service was truly fantastic. Yes, the resort is HUGE and you will golf cart everywhere. That said, I don't think we ever waited for more than 5 minutes for a cart, and chose to walk a few times to work off the calories we were consuming. We were in the 'jungle' building 9, but even 1-7 while closer, come with quite a walk to get anywhere. Here is my take on some of the review comments I've seen:
Time Share: yes, they will ask. We said 'no' and asked them not to call back. They honored our request.
Beds: hard but not unbearable, I've slept on worse (and I'm fussy about hard beds)
Cost vs. All Inclusive: Definitely more expensive than going all inclusive. We didn't hold back on what we did and we spent about $1000 over the course of 7 days in addition to what we'd paid for the room and flights, that makes total of about $3000 for the trip. Definitely would have been cheaper to go all inclusive. I've been to the Iberostar (literally right next door) and when we go back, that will be our destination.
Food / Drinks: Must try the "chocolate monkey" (basically a pina colada with chocolate flavor) :-) The food was pricey but truly fantastic, we didn't have a complaint. The italian restaurant was the best. We slept in a lot and had made a WalMart run early in the week, so we only ate about 2 meals a day out in the resort. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the room service food being hot, and as tasty as if you were in the restaurant.
Other recommendations: Dinner on the pier was awesome, an additional $100 over cost of the food, but worth it!!
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Hotel
- The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Mayan Riviera
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Grand Mayan
- Grand Mayan Cancun
- Grand Mayan Playa Del Carmen
- The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Playa Paraiso, Mexico
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick and Priceline so you can book your The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.