“Fourth Stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Wilmington, Delaware
“Fourth Stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Just returned from vacation at the beautiful Paraiso Maya. Had a wonderful time relaxing and enjoying the Mexican sun. This was our fourth time to stay at this resort. All of the staff are very friendly and try to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. This time around we opted to eat our dinner at the buffet every night rather than having to be at one of the restaurants at a specific time. Food wasn't spectacular but you could always find something you like. The "Star Friends" are wonderful young ladies and gentlemen who provide entertainment from the morning till evening at the show (hello to Anna, Karla, Eduardo, Daniel, just to name a few). The rooms are kept very clean - we always had plenty of fresh towels and washcloths. We did leave a small tip every morning for the person cleaning the room. We enjoyed drinks at the bar off of the main lobby before dinner and often stopped by for a night cap or two. The service there was excellent, too (hello to Fabiano and Betsy). We spent most of our day at the beach this time - usually stopping by the pool before heading to our room to get ready for dinner. The beach is beautiful and there were always plenty of chaise lounges while we were there. We did have a little difficulty getting back to our spot on the beach after enjoying a dip in the beautfiul Carribean Sea - there is quite a steep incline from the water to the beach. Otherwise, we had a wonderful vacation and met quite a few nice people (hello to Debbie from Kansas City and Chris & Sue from England). If you choose this resort for your vacation you can relax all week and enjoy the beach and the pools or join in the many activities with the "Star Friends".

2,405 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Lindo for 2 weeks and just reurned May 27th. The resort is huge and very clean. Our room was facing the ocean but the line of trees did not allow us to see it. There is plenty of different foods and restaurants to choose from. We did not care for the Gourmet as it seemed a bit stuffy for us though the food was good. The El Rancho was our favorite. The beach is wonderful, just have to watch out for some rocks here and there. The water was perfect...warm and crystal clear. We had a few days when the water was rough and it was somewhat rainy and cloudy but it is tropical that's for sure. We enjoyed making friends with the staff, namely Frederico and Juan. They made sure our drinks were made to perfection. We would go back to this resort. While we were there we met a couple from England. His name is Nobbi and his wife is either Jane or Jan. If anyone knows who I am talking about, let me know how to contact them.

Angie and Barry from PA

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

My family(myself partner and teenage son ) traveled to the maya may 19 to 25th to celebrate my partners 45th birthday and also my son was in a horrific car accident in January and this was a trip to honor him and his recovery.I stayed w/my partner at the Grand last year and was hoping when we decided to go to the Maya i would not go and compare,but we did.

I was aware of all the differences between the 2 properties since im a travel agent I sell both of these properties alot.I just was not ready for the bratty kids that i came across while we were there.My son is 16 and even when he was 9 or 10 he did not act like some of the kids I saw. On most days they were 10 deep at the swim up bar spitting red drinks out of straws at each other and spilling drinks in the pool and no parents to be seen.Same with some of the restaurants kids running around the tables and almost knocking the poor waiters over screaming at the top of their lungs.I just feel as though the property caters to kids and if the kids are away from the parents doing whatever the hotel needs to tell them that the behavior is not allowed but i guess the hotel does not say anything as to not make the euorpeans mad.

The restaurants we ate at were as follows we ate at the steak el rancho 3xs we loved loved the rib eye and my son adored the filet along with the tiger shrimp at the buffet it was outstanding.We ate at the seafood rest and it was good.We had a combo platter of fish,lobster,shrimp.ect and my son had the pasta.We did not like the gourmet rest very much since we are all more meat and potatoe kind of folks.We ate breakfast at the buffets at the maya and lindo they were awesome.For lunch we ate at the pool buffet everyday it was ok.Im not liking flies and birds swarming at my head when i eat but it was not to bad.

The waiters and bartenders were all fantastic.Eli was the manger of the seafood restaurant and most all the other restaurants we were at and he treated us like royalaty.He set up a celebration at the steak house for my partner for her birthday it was so sweet.He always took time to check on us.Issac was a sweet young man who came around at all our meals asking for suggestions or comments on the meal he was so sweet and kind and well spoken he deserves all the kudos.

The star friends are amazing they work so hard all day long singing and dancing and doing activities with the guests.Hey baby i wanta know if you will be my girl thats the theme song they sing.So cute.

We did have some issues with our room.We had hundreads of ants in the bathroom they came and fumagated the bathroom and that solved the problem.The air condition was broke when we arrived they had to fix it but still was not cool so I requested they turn it down to 17c it was set at 21c.It was ok after that.We needed to call for towels and wash cloths a few times.The maids were great the always had cute towel art on the bed and for my partners bday had a beautiful set up when we returned in the evening.rose petals 2 huge swans made like a heart the bday cards we gave her were set up on the bed very nice.

I saw that most people did not tip at all which I find not very nice.We tipped our maid every day a few dollars and at breakfast and dinners tipped a few dollars.They work so hard and appreciate 3 or 4 dollars.I just dont understand people but my partner said thats on them and as long as we tip then thats all I need to worry about.Plus the way people dress at dinner I made sure my 16 year old had on dress pants every night and a button shirt so if a 16 yr can do it grown men can as well.He felt grown up putting on a white linen suit.

All in all the property is huge and if walking is an issue dont go here.Its beautiful and the groungs are awesome.Clean and well kept.We had a great time but luckily by next year my son will be 18 and back to the grand we go!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I traveled with my husband and 14 year old son and our friend and their 14 and 11 year olds. There was also other families from our town there, so all the teens hung out together and had a blast.

We loved the resort! Our Junior Suite was very spacious. My son slept comfortably on the pull out couch (although not all suites have couches that pull out so be sure to check on that if you need one.) I agree with other reviewers who said the mattress was really hard; I thought they were exaggerating till I laid down on it! After days in the sun and pools though I could've slept on anything, so it wasn't that big a deal. The room was always well stocked with beverages, towels, etc.

The pools were great! The building we were in had a private pool though we never used it. If you were looking for a quiet place to hang out, that would have been it. We loved the big pool with the swim up bar and spent a lot of time there. The lazy river pool was also nice for a change of pace. The kids LOVED the wave pool which goes on for about 20 minutes almost every hour on the hour. We never had a problem getting chairs at the pool even when we wanted to get 7 in a row (and we weren't out saving them at a ridiculous time either; I'm talking 10 or 11 after breakfast.)

We enjoyed the food. There was plenty of variety at every meal. (The guacamole was so good I found something to put it on at practically every meal!) The buffets were great and we also tried a few of the a la carte restaurants. We made all our reservations the first day and had no problem getting reservations at times we wanted. We enjoyed the steak house (El Rancho), the Japanese restaurant (entertaining and good food, the sushi was mediocre but we liked everything else.) and the Tex Mex restaurant. The service was great everywhere. We found the staff to be very friendly. The bartenders were all great, and I loved trying the drink of the day. The little ice cream place about the swim up bar had delicious ice cream with flavors that changed daily; the kids loved that as well as the soft serve ice cream at the lunch buffet by the pool.

The two men golfed one day and said the course was beautiful (though it's quite hot and they were glad they had an early tee time so they were done by Noon)

The shows at night were entertaining though we were usually exhausted by then and only some parts of them so of the nights.

The resort is beautiful. Great landscaping and very spacious. The resort is decorated beautifully inside and out. I read reviews of people complaining about how big the resort is, but I liked knowing I was burning off some of the obscene amount of calories I was consuming. I admit to getting lost going from one place to another, but I have a terrible sense of direction and hey it's vacation!! It's not like I was going to be late for anything. Unless you're physically disabled or traveling with small children, I don't think you'll find the walking to be a big deal.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Ambridge, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Iberostar Paraisio Maya from May 9th thru May 16th. We virtually loved everything about this resort. We stayed in Building 64 which was centrally located so we never had very far to walk. The pools were out our back door and the lobby and restaurants were out our front and side doors. We did walk over to the Del Mar and Beach property and that was tiresome, but we didn't have to walk over there, we just wanted to see what there property looked like. We also talked with some other couples who did the same thing but they caught a ride from the red trolley train or just asked the bell hops and they rode them over on the golf carts. So walking is never a problem. If you have that big a problem walking they do offer 3 wheel carts you can drive, just ask the bell hop or the fron desk. they charge a few dollars a day to rent them though.

As for the people complaining about the food I say "Get off you High Horse". You are in a foreign country that is trying to cater to 30 countries. Of course the food is going to tast a little different as they use different butter and oils to cook in. If you don't like something, just ask for something else or go back to the buffet line and pick something else out you like. I only ate half my Top Sirloin steak at the steakhouse becasue I was just so full from the buffet. The waiter asked if they could cook me a different kind of steak. Then the chef came out and asked the same thing, saying I'll cook you anything you want". I don't think he understood I was just full. We also ate at the Japaneese restaurant twice and everything about that was amazing. If you go, get the shrimp and lobster. They will also cook you everything on the menu if you ask them too. At first they will tell you you can only pick 3 items, but then the chef starts making everything and gives you chicken and steak and scallops too if you want them. The presentation was very good too.

I also did not find the bed uncomfortable at all and neither did my wife. I actually had some of the best sleep I ever had in my life there. The rooms were very clean and at night when my wife would go to the shows, I would watch satalite tv.

I went to 2 showsm the Miss Iberostar and the Magic show. I really laughed a lot at the Miss Iberostar one. The Magic Show was ok at times, but some were obvious to see how he was doing, while others I just couldn't figure out. We also went to the Discotech in the Shopping Plaza one night but we didn't stay long as it was just too late. We really liked the Star Wars theme though. Who would've thought that you would find the Millenium Falcon in Mexico. We also really enjoyed the Star Burgers 50's style restaurant by the discotech too as well as the ice cream shop.

We took the shuttle to Playa Del Carmen and then a taxi over to Iberostar Tucan and spent a day over there as we had stayed ther in 2001 and again in 2002. We enjoyed it but our taxi driver back to Playa Del Carmen couldn't understand where we wanted to go and dropped us off at the wrong Municipal Building to be picked up by the shuttle. The shuttle cost $4.00 each person each way and the taxi to Tucan cost $5.00 each way per person unless you can walk a couple miles. We just asked a couple of people how to get to the Municipal Station and Hotel de Flamingo and found it right away.

I do have to complain about the rocks in the beach water though. From what I read on here I thought there were rocks on the beach that you could just walk around. the beaches are perfect, with no rocks. The rocks are in the water and you can manuver around them, but at times the currents just move you onto them and the rocks are sharp. We eventually found a couple of avenues in the ocean that were somewhat clear. I would hope that the hotel try and have at least some of the rocks removed. I could remove most of them in 1 day with a small backhoe or bucket machine as they are right at the low water line.

One last note is the people we met were all so nice. Juanita from King of Prussia PA had 65 people there for a wedding on Friday the 14th. They were all great and even invited us to the wedding, but we got stuck at a tour of the Grand and missed it. We also met a great couple the day before we left from Philly Derrick and Kristen. They were staying at the Lindo.

The pools were all great and the staff were all smiles. We also loved the animals all around, but we especially loved the cats. 1 little black cat had her kitties while we were there. A gray cat followed us up to our room 1 night and "snuck in". We played with her a while then had to carry her out. Pinky the monkey fell asleep in my arms. She was so soft.

Until next time Iberostar...

Great Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

We just stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya from May 7th thru May 13th for 6 nights. The resort was only 40% full. I was traveling with my wife and two children ages 2 and 6. After staying a week I Cancun we decided to extend our vacation and stay at the Parasio Maya because we heard so much about it and wanted to try it. All inclusive vacations are very different and if you never experienced one you may not like it. We have been to the Riviera Maya before in 2008 and stayed at the Palladium.

Let me start by saying as with any of these mega resorts in the Riviera Maya there is tons and tons and tons of walking. If you are disabled in any way or handicapped or just cant walk very long distances these resorts are not for you. It is a 10 to 20 minute walk depending on where your room is to the restaurants, beach, and shows. Many of these resorts are 3 or more large resorts on the same property making them one huge mega resort.

Our stay here was ok but the fell way short of the 5 start promise Antonio Banderas promises on their web sight. Our first problem started at check in around 3PM. This resort has all junior suite rooms. We requested a junior suite room with a king bed and sleeper sofa. At check in I asked the clerk if our room was a junior suite with a sleeper sofa and he said it was not. He told me he could upgrade me to a junior suite with sleeper sofa but it would cost and additional $40.00 per night. Not the way you want to start off a good vacation but I went along with it.

I must admit the grounds and property are absolutely beautiful and you won’t find a resort that spends more time cleaning the grounds, pools, and facility. The service at the resort is also very good. I give them an A+ in those areas.

Each building has their own concierge to make restaurant reservations and attend to any of your needs and that’s really nice and they are there from 7AM to 11PM. Some buildings have their own private pool for the guests staying in that building and that’s nice too. The rooms are spotless as well as the restaurants, pools, and the entire facility. Again A+ for cleanliness and maintenance.

The beds are extremely hard and I never slept on a bed as hard as this and I like a firm mattress. Finally the concierge told me she will have house keeping come and put a mattress pad on the bed and that helped a lot. The linens are not that good but the towels are good. Each room has mini bar that if included and restocked daily.

My biggest complaint was the food. I know good food and I eat at places like Ruth’s Chris, The Palm, Capital Grille, and other fine dining restaurants. Here is what I didn’t like. To start the food is about on the same level or less as a Carnival Cruise. It’s really nothing special. We tried all the sit down restaurants and they were horrible. Finally we made up our minds to stick to the buffet restaurants and were able to at least find the stuff we like but again it was very average at best. In addition to mediocre food there are other problems. Since the buffet restaurants have open doors and windows I found fly’s in the buffet area and on the food. When getting your food you just hope you don’t get the one a fly landed on. Next you will find inconsiderate people coughing and sneezing around the buffet area. Some make an effort to cover their mouth and sneeze away from the food but some don’t. I caught several people taking food and smelling it and then putting it back. I caught several people eating food right off the serving trays. One guy even licked his finger and picked up all the crumbs off the cheese tray. This is gross and inconsiderate but this is what you will find at a buffet restaurant. Please keep in mind the poor quality food has nothing to do with the staff or preparation. It is just cheap quality food. 24 hour room service is included but food choices are very limited and you can’t get any kind of drinks with room service. The menu had only a few different sandwiches and wraps on it as well as chicken fingers and nachos and that was about it. There are no breakfast or dinner items on the room service menu. It is really only for kids or maybe late check inns or something.

There are over 25 different activities at this resort from sun up to sun down brought to you by the entertainment staff and you will surely find things to do. From pool games to beach parties, golf, archery, volley ball, you won’t be bored. The resort also has a wave pool and lazy river and this was really nice. The kids club and services were outstanding. They also have baby sitting service and Belen did an outstanding job at baby sitting while we went to the shows. She would meet us at dinner and take the kids from there to the kids shows, carousel, and kept them busy while we went to the adult shows. When we came to our room she had the kids in bed and sleeping just as instructed. I recommend Belen. Speaking of the shows and entertainment they were just ok. Nothing special but just ok. At least they kept us entertained for while each night and there was a different show each night. The entertainment staff works hard at these shows and tries their very best but the shows are really not that good.

The one big thing I enjoyed the best and probably gets overlooked the most and that was the spa. I highly encourage you to check out the spa facility as it was probably the finest spa I ever been to. I had a massage and it was excellent. I booked a 50 minute massage and it was the first time I ever got the full 50 minutes I paid for as the time starts when the massage starts unlike most spas where they tend to cheat on time.

The last thing I want to touch on was the pool bar. The pools are gorgeous at the resort and getting a drink at the pool bar was no problem and the drinks were good. However I observed everyday many many people sitting in the pool bar for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time drinking like there was no tomorrow and many of them never got out of the pool to use the restroom. You know what that means!

I would not want to discourage anyone from making a reservation at this resort however take my review into consideration when planning your all inclusive vacation. The resort is absolutely gorgeous however I must admit the food and shows were much better at the Palladium for half the price however the resort and rooms are no where near as good as the Paraiso Maya. I also would not want to be in Cancun or in the Riviera Maya during any of the Spring Break months as the service has to be seriously lacking. Also note the Mexican people are some of the nicest and hardest working people I ever met for very little money. Have a great time in Mexico!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

This is our 5th year to the Iberostar in Playa. We first went to the Beaches, next the Del Mar, next the Lindo and the last 2 years have stayed at the Maya. The Maya is wonderful, as everywhere is air conditioned, all bars and gourmet restaurants. We had a big room, well 2 rooms, with another big bathroom and entry with the closets and coffee making area and refrigerator.
We are not sight seerers, but we have done that. We feel it is just not worth the money or time, when you can stay at this beautiful resort. We always go the first week in May, as it is not crowed and not hardly any teenagers. Yes, there are little ones, but they are so much fun to watch. My husband & I have our breakfast, then lay by the pool and swim, have lunch, go to the ocean, back to the pool, take a nap under the paplyas (sp), swim some more, get ready for dinner about 6:00, then repeat the same thing for the 7 days we are there.
The people there are so friendly, from the gardeners to the people in the higher jobs. The grounds are immaculate. The restrooms are MUCH cleaner that alot in the U.S. and for us it is just a tropical paradise. It was 90 degrees and sunny every day.
We really enjoy the breakfast buffet, always had our lunch at El Fogen, by the pool, as you can just where your cover ups. Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Nothing fried like the U.S. Everything was so healthy. We can't say enough about the French restaurant at the Maya. It is just wonderful. Our favorite. All were good, but the Mexican and Steakhouse were our least favorites. I think because we are from Kansas City, we are used to wonderful meat, and their Mexican food is so different from ours in the U.S. Must tell you, though, the little taco place at the mall is wonderful. Also, they have the best ice cream & sherbet of anywhere I've tasted. We had room service twice, late at night and it was good too.
I don't know of anything really that we don't like. For the money, anyone that complains, need to spend more and go somewhere else. We take a charter plane, transportation to and from the airport and all inclusive. What more could you want. We always go through Travel Haus out of St Louis with either Funjet or Lomas Travel. Everything has gone perfect for us in 5 years. Last year, we took our son & daughter-in-law and 3 year ago, we sent them here on their honeymoon. They also loved it. They have been to Dunn River Falls Sandels in Jamacia and said the Maya was so much more beautiful.
So you can see we love this resport and will probably go back next year.When we found something we liked, I guess we will just stick with it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!