“Excellent Family Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago ,IL
“Excellent Family Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

This was our third trip to Iberostar Paraiso but the first one at Maya. Prior trips were at Lindo. The two share the same pool and beach area and most restaurants. The rooms at the Maya are bit larger and more contemporary and there are a couple restaurants open only to Maya. Our 18 son picked this location having been there before and loved it. There were many other families from our town traveling here for spring break. The pools, food, and beach were great. We generally spend our time at the beach, which a couple days was very windy (OK at the pool) which was unusual. My wife and I did a scuba dive one day which was OK. The other days were cancelled due to high winds. Other than the wind the weather was fine. We generally are not show people we only attended briefly. This is a great family place for children fo all ages. It is very secure. Food is good and the place is very clean.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Polish first
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I was very impressed on so many levels with the service at IB Maya.You will not be dissapointed by the attention to detail of teh decor at every turn. There is an air of elegance in every walkway and lobby and pool design. the restaurants are beautifully decorated.
Hotel is 25 minutes from the airport so you get there fast.

The Good.
Check in was fast and courteous.The hotel went above an dbeyond in trying to help us to get lost baggage even though it was really not their job, they spoke to the airport on our behalf many times.
The grounds are so well maintained and beautiful. natural life abounds.You will enjoy using the many diffrent pools, but the wave pool has to be the funnest ever. it runs on the top of every hour.
every staff member is friendly genuinly warm and want to keep you happy, they are so hardworking and eager to please. Even without tippin they are happy to just help you - so Tip them when you can as it is appreciated .
take lot sof $1 bills to tip with.
property is kept prisitine clean. There is lots of natural life to see, birds, flamingo and peacock , coaties and kitties .gardens and fountains are just gorgous.

Rooms
Are big and airy, i stayed in a junior suite which was beautiffully appointed , bathroom had a shower and jacuzzi that my family of 4 fitted in ! every amenity you need is there.
rooms are always kept clean and also they have turn down service at night which is nice, the maids are like magic maidens you never see them but your rooms are always kept clean.
water and soda's are always replenished in the room fridge - ask if you need more.I tipped 3-4 dollars a day for the maids.Towel art is beautiful and thrilling for the children.Decent sized safe in the room. 2 ceiling fans and nice sitting area with couch .
walkout area had a hammock and chairs.My room was 6516 and i was close to both lobby and beach/pool it was a great building.

The Beach

is beautiful, aquamarine water and soft white sand. plenty of beach chairs and palapas available.Clear water , they clean the beach every day so it's very clean. Dont miss the beach party with paella and sangria - yum!
There are a few rocks but you can easily see them - no need for water shoes.
Bathrooms are kept very clean on the beach and there are showers as well to wash off sand.There is a bar and grill right on the beach . Lots of activities daily held at the beach.

Food and Drink.
I am a foodie and to be honest i could not find much negative things to say. The buffets wer every good with every continent represented and mexican station was great! there is always always something to eat and you will never go hungry at this place - in fact after a while you cannot eat anymore (but you do - because it's so good) Desserts are so pretty to look at and very tasty as well. Fruit and ice cream /sorbet always available at teh buffets.
The special restaurants were very good and beautifully presented. I ate at the japanese , Marina restaurant and Steakhouse. They were all very good marina and steakhouse had appetiser and dessert buffets which had a great selection and tasty - included smoke salmon caviar station as well and king prawns , crab claws.
Lobster abounded all entrees at no extra cost (some resorts ask a surcharge for lobster), here, it was very generously given .
anyone can be happy with the alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.I had no problems getting bookings for teh restaurants. Drinks are somewhat watered down at the beach - you just haveto drink more !!I dont know why people complain so much i am sure they do not eat like this every day in their homes.
men do need collard shirts and pants/jeans for the restaurants.if you dont have one they can give you one - ask the concierge for any thing you need.

Star friends and staff.
Star friends keep you entertained all day and generally make friends with you and you feel they are like family. people are warm and caring. our building concierge always made us feel comfortable. The breakfast waiter remembered how i liked my coffee and made it for me when he saw me coming in .
they really made an effort to get to know us.
Attention to small details - everyone remembers your name and makes you feel special.

Other details
The shopping center is reasonable and i did most of my small souvenir shopping and gifts there.try the coconut ice cream here it's included.
the train runs through the resort every 15 minutes. if available golf carts can take you where you want to go.
calls are very expensive so be prepared.
WI FI is not free.
there are many travel agents that come and set up office in the lobbies so you can easily book any tour with one of them. I did a chcicken itza tour for $77 which included lunch, guide, nice bus, stop at authentic mexican restaurant and mayan dancing waitresses, cenote swim.
Try to tip the waiters and maids- they work so hard and all to just make you happy.
Night shows are good entertainment especially the prehispanico and mexican folklore nights.
keep an open mind and remember you are in another country and be open to new things.i will be definitely returning to an Iberostar hotel again soon as keeping teh customer happy is high on their list.
I felt warm and fuzzy being there and well taken care of.
problems in my room where fixed within minutes.
there is a decent sized safe in the room enough for a laptop even.
Lobby lunch buffet is air conditioned and less crowded.My whole trip the weather forecasted cloudy and rain - in reality that turned out to be 25 minutes of night time rain on 1 of the 5 days and some patchy clouds during the day.
Do not loose your towel , you will pay $20 if you loose it.
Learn the layout of teh resort and all the shortcuts, you will walk a lot and it's a huge resort.
Lobby artworks are beautiful as is the Maya snake bar .
Although i have kids they never used the kids club because they spent tiem at the many pools and beach , however other parents told me it was a great place for the kids and lots of activities lines up all day .
Take time to walk around the buildings and admire the walkways and little courtyards.
I was very happy with my choice - do not think twice - any of these Iberostars at playa paraiso will be a great choice.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I have never written a review before, but since I got so much help here I wanted to share our experience. I will start by saying that I am a veteran of over 30 cruises and have last taken an all inclusive hotel vacation in 1982. Everything about the vacation was great. We loved the room and because of other posts asked to be put in Building 60 closest to the beach. I would ask for building 61 the next time. It was great to be next to the best part of the pool and close to the beach. It is a realllly long walk back to the hotel. We seemed to spend more time at the Lindo then the Maya. The breakfast is much better in the Lindo then by the pool and it's air conditioned. About the food, I don't understand why people complained about the food on other posts. We ate at the Japanese and the French the first 2 nights. The by accident we went to the Lindo buffet and never went back to the ala cartes. The Buufet has a great selection and we would have a shrimp cocktail and great salad choices every night. I like that at the buffet you can have Mexican, Chinese, American or pasta every night. For us it was a better option.

Beach- was great. Very little rocks. The Wednesday party is great. The only thing that bothered me was that they let vendors sell clearly fake Cuban Cigars. You could get food and drinks very easy. The pool is the best pool I have ever been to. EVER. We had no trouble getting chairs as I think the hotel was barley 50% full.
I really liked the fact that this was a stress free vacation as everything was included. I was nice to swim up to the bar and order a drink and not have to pay.

Service was great everwhere. We left 3 bucks in the room for the maid everyday and tiped all of the waiters for every meal.

The only complaint I have is that I talked to many people who were at the Lindo who booked the Del mar or beach and were upgraded. I had the option to take a hotel choice for 33% less then what we paid, but I chose to not have to worry about it and be at the Lindo. In hind site I would have saved the money and let the hotel pick as I think we would have been put in the Lindo.

In all we loved this hotel and had a great time. My 7 year old misses walking up to the bar and asking for a Coco Loco without Alchol of course.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We were at the Paraiso Maya from Easter Sunday to the following Saturday, right before the swine flu hysteria. The facilities are beautifu, the food was excellent, the kids had a blast (especially in the wave pool). The steakhouse and Japanese restaurant were especially great and we found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating. The place was large and it took a few minutes to get from our building (60) right near the beach to the front area, but the grounds are so nice that the walk didn't bother us and the little ones were just fine with it. The beach was clean, with beautiful white sand and the water was great. We would definitely return here in the future and highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We were at the Maya from July 27-August 3 and it was Fabulous. Check in was wonderful, we did not get a poolview as i had requested but we did get adjoining rooms and second floor. The person at check in was so nice, she offered us about 6 different rooms, they really do go out of their way to help you. Our rooms were lovely, very spacious and actually had a nice jungly view . We did ask for mattress pads for the beds because they were somewhat firm. This was our first time to Mexico and an allinclusive. I cannot even begin to tell you what the service and people are like, its truely amazing. The grounds in the Maya and Lindo are Spectacular, lots of cozy places to sit, lush shrubery, water features everywhere. It does take a day or so to find your bearings, the first couple of nights it took us forever to find our way back to the rooms in the dark !! Everybody said you will do a lot of walking but its really not bad and everywhere is just so beautiful, i dont think i saw everything in the 7 days i was there. The pools are awesome, the hotel was said to be 60% but somehow i didnt see that.My girls ages 15,14 and 11 had a blast. Second day there they had made friends and were off running around the resort and we only saw them at mealtimes! Yes this is a family resort and i wouldnt have it any other way. It gives me great joy to see those smiling faces having so much fun, what more could you ask for, non stop food and drink and icecreams!! Those worried about the food, dont be, i must of gained 10 pounds, there is something for everyone. We also enjoyed the A La Cartes, loved the Maya Gourmet. Service was impeccable, Japanese was fun. Steak was good for me but hubby said the Ribeye was disappointing. The Lobby Bars at the Maya and Lindo are absolutely beautiful, it was very quiet when we were there about 10 people each night. Our favourite was the Lindo Lobby bar, there is a barman called Juan who is super. My children would sit at the bar and he would cater to their every need, sprite shots, virgin cocktails, he even made them fake margaritas with salt around the glass. They were in heaven.
The beach, i had heard there were rocks, well my goodness yes there are a few but nothing that should bother anyone. There were plenty of places with no rocks. Its an absolutely beautiful beach and walking to the right you can go to Maroma beach, about 25 mins walk, that was really beautiful. There is a rocky area a ways up from the grand but in actual fact we found this to enhance the beauty of the beach and a fun place to look for little fish in the pools of water.
We did not do any tours, instead we took a taxi to Puerto Morelos and snorkled the Reef, an amazing trip and well worth the $25 each for 2 hours.
All i can say is that this is a superb resort, so much so that the day we got back i have been searching the internet looking for good deals for xmas !!!
One small blemish i feel i must mention and this will not bother most people. There are quite a few cats on this property that are very skinny. For my family that are animal lovers we couldnt ignore it. Everytime we went to the buffet we had a small bag which my girls filled and fed the cats. I have been in touch with the Peanuts shelter in Playa Del Carmen and they have a program underway already so that is great news. The Iberostar Hotels have agreed for them to come in and trap, neuter, release and set up habitats for them. What a wonderful hotel chain. Any questions please feel free to messge me, im still a novice but not for long i hope !!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Anchorage AK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

We've been to the Iberostar Paraiso complex twice now in the last 2 years (March 2008 and May 2009 (right in the middle of the swine flu panic) and loved it both times. The first trip was to the Paraiso Beach and for the second the Maya (thanks to the help of our fantastic travel agent). We travel with 5 kids and they love the freedom of being able to do their own thing, eat when and how much they want, play at the pools or beach, play tennis, work out in the training center, or see the shows in the evening. The Maya was better than the Beach, no doubt about it, mostly due to the food (variety and quality), but I'm not sure I would pay too much more for the Mayan - I thought they were pretty close in standard. We booked our trip through Kellie Davis at Go Iberostar Vacations (goiberostar.com) and we couldn't be more satisfied with her service - I highly recommend her if you want to book an Iberostar vacation.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
St. Louis, Missouri,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We just got back from the Maya. Read all the TripAdvisor reviews, wanted a good beach/pool all-inclusive and was thoroughly impressed with this resort.

Random thoughts/pointers:

We stayed in Building 61 which worked well, even though it was a little walk to the Maya/Linda ala carte restaurants. It takes a while to figure out the lay of the land. I think we would have been fine in any of the buildings.

We had ala carte all 5 nights we were there. 2 Steakhouse nights, 2 Japanese, and 1 French. We thought the food was very good. We did the Lindo lunch buffet the first two days and while that had the largest selection, we ended up at the beach grill and the pool buffet the other three days.

If you are at the Maya, I recommend breakfast at the Seafood ala carte. Not very crowded and food and service very good.

We had our 7 year old with us and he declared it the best vacation he had ever been on. He loved the wave pool, the lazy river, and going up to the swim up bar for his strawberry "slushees." He participated in the Lindo kids show 3 nights and loved being on stage.

We recommend going to the Lindo lobby bar with the big fish tank. They have an outstanding piano piano player that shouldn't be missed.

Every night we would stroll to the front desk at the Maya or Lindo and they were more than happy to give us ride back to our room in a golf cart.

We brought $100 in singles as well as $25 of the newer gold U.S. dollars which worked great for the swim up bars.

I recommend taking the bike tour which they have twice a day. You get to see all the resorts and its a great time to ask questions.

They said the occupancy was 60 percent, although I thought it was probably lower.

The only negative comment was that we left our son with the kids club when we went to the French Restaurant. While he had a great time with Star Friend Claudia (who was great) he got a lot of misquito bites on his legs when he was at the Kids Club. We didn't bring insect repellent and didn't think about putting it on.....

Bottom line, we will be back. We have stayed at Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, St. Regis, and think that this type of vacation is a much better value and more fun for kids....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!