“Great time on the Riviera Maya” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Boston
“Great time on the Riviera Maya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

We just came back (Apr 17 - 25) from a great vacation at the Paraiso Maya. My wife and I were there with our twin girls, age 6. We stayed in Bldg 60, near the beach. Weather was great all week long, with just the occasional sprinkle and a bit of wind on the beach. A few points about the property:

- Yes, it is big. It was a nice leisurely 10 minute walk from our building to the lobby bar. However, the facilities are nicely distributed, so, for example, you can have breakfast and lunch at one of the restaurants near the beach. We would typically hang out at the beach in the morning, eat lunch, then head to one of the pool areas for the afternoon, then make our way back down to the swim up bar or ice cream parlor to end the day. In the evenings, we'd stroll up to the lobby, have a drink, then go to dinner at one of the specialty restaurants.
- The concierge in the building is great. She did all our dinner reservations, arranged babysitting, helped get a light fixed in our room, and countless other little things. I see this as one of the key perks for staying at the Paraiso and not next door, so take advantage.
- Another key perk is the specialty restaurants. You can go to one every night if you like. The buffets are very good, but after doing buffets for breakfast and lunch, I don't want to be running around at dinner. My advice is to ask your concierge to schedule each of them for one night when you arrive. You can always change them later if you prefer one or the other. They didn't seem very crowded, though you may have to be flexible with times.
- If you're traveling with kids, I think you're really going to like this place. It's not a "family" hotel; most activities are not kid-focused. However, they have a great kids club (Lucy's club). It has a pre-set, published schedule, complete with swimming, crafts, fishing, sports, etc. Twice a week, they do a little show on-stage at 8 with the kids. My girls loved it. We dropped them off three times around noon so that we could go scuba diving. The club took them swimming, then lunch, then some quiet time watching a movie, then more activities. In the evening, the club can take your kids to dinner and activities from 6 to 8, so if you want to schedule a quiet (early) dinner, you can.
- If you want a later dinner, babysitting was only $10 / hour for our two kids. Arrange it with the concierge. I think there's a two or three hour minimum.
- Service was overall very, very good. Rooms were cleaned promptly, towel animals were left on the beds for the kids, waiters brought drinks and coffee at the buffets quickly. No complaints at all.
- I know that this is an all inclusive, and no tipping is required or expected. However, please keep in mind that these folks probably make less in one month that it cost you to stay for one day at the hotel. About a month before we go, I start putting away fives and ones into a drawer at the end of each day. By the time of our trip, I have about $100 or $150 in small bills, which I use throughout our stay to thank the people that help us throughout our vacation. On the scale of things, it's not a large amount of money, and it is really appreciated.

Overall, I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. Yes, the beds were a bit hard, and the food, while very good, was not "gourmet". But it is well above any other similar properties we have been to, and when you couple in the great Kids Club, it just makes for a perfect vacation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Polish first
BEDFORDSHIRE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

We stayed at the Maya 7th to 21st April. Had read some reviews about food etc and was getting a little concerned!. I need not have been. The food was good in most restaurants but its all down to personal taste but I would recommed the steak , fish, japanese and french all were good. The french was the best in my view but no children under 12.

We stayed in block 64 which we found was quite good as it was central to beach , pool ,and restaurants. We did look at a suite in block 60 and it was no larger or different to ours!

Have just booked to go back next year to same block but top floor as cleaners above sometimes woke us but it was not a big problem. Cleaning staff do work hard and yes our children( and myself if I am honest ) looked forward to seeing which animal the lady had made out of towels each day.

Lovely place good places to visit can not wait until next April.

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

Just back from a week stay at the Maya. Everything was wonderful. I must say after reading some of the reviews I was nervous about certain things. Food was probably what I was worried about the most and getting sick was my biggest worry. Out of 5 of us, only one had a touch of something. My son has a weak stomach to begin with, and he was eating everything and it caught up with him. I too have an extremely sensitive stomach, but I was fine. I did have my whole family on probiotics. And I really think that helped. Google probiotics and you will get alot of info. You buy something called "pearls" in any drugstore thats what I was giving the kids. I am my husband were taking a stronger probiotic that I got at a vitamin store. We were taking once a day and sometimes I would take an extra. When my son did get sick, two pepto bismol tablets and he was fine and good to go.

There was plenty of food and plenty of delicious food. We loved the cajun rest. at the lindo and the japanese at the maya, the seafood also was great. We did the buffet at the lindo for dinner twice and the japanese area of the buffet was wonderful as was the pasta station. You will definetly be able to find something you like. I stay away from most meats and I was able to find lots of different things.

Our favorite was breakfast and the fried doughnuts that you hand dipped into chocolate or vanilla icing and top with sprinkles. They are a must. We had them everyday!

My kids are 12, 14 and 17 and every night we went to the show. They loved it. They include some audience members in little skits and it was very funny. We never left the resort and we were never bored. We almost cancelled this trip when all the negative news reports were on tv and we never once saw or heard anything like what was on tv. The airport was fine, the drive to the maya was fine and of course once at the maya we felt very safe. Never one issue.

We were in building 60, very, very close to beach. We loved that because we stopped back at the rooms all day. We were also very close the the big pool, and the breakfast and lunch buffet. It was a very long walk to the Maya lobby, but we enjoyed the walk because it was through the most beautiful courtyards, we took lots of pictures there. Make sure to bring comfy flip flops, I brought new ones that gave me blisters and ended up wearing my "fit flops" the whole time as they were already broken in.

Yes the beds are hard, but it is fine. I never woke up sore or stiff.
Also, my 17 year old brought her laptop, we went to conceirge and got a cable to bring to the room, three days was I believe $35.00. The connection was great and she had internet for when we got back to the room. She was videochatting with all her friends in CT, even my 12 and 14 year old were doing the same. We left laptop out in plain site and never had a problem.

We would definetly go back and will try to plan a trip with friends and family. We know that would be even better.

chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We recently returned back to Chicago from the the Paraiso Maya. We enjoyed ourselves so much, that we are planning a return trip next year.

Rooms: We had two rooms in building 60. Building 60 & 61 are the larger suites and are closest to the beach. From our terrace we faced the beautiful Grand Hotel. In between the Grand buildings we even got a glimse of the Caribbean. When we walked out of our door we had a view of the private pool, large pool, and the breakfast / lunch buffet building. The only small complaints I have are the lighting in the bathroom was really dim, the hairdryer was bad, and the refrigerator did not get super cold. We tipped our maid $5.00 the first day left her a note of what we wanted in our fridge and she took excellent care of us the entire week. My daughter looked forward the towel animals everyday.

Beach: As I mentioned building 60 is closest to the beach. Right from our building we were able to follow the wide wooden path all the way down to the beach. The beach is beautiful. Red Flags waved everyday, but that did not stop my family from enjoying the waves, it was a blast!. My daughter and husband painted pottery which turned out great, are real nice keepsake from our vacation. They also offer hair braiding, which is quite expensive. I would recommend going to Play Del Carmen for hair braiding, where the quality is fantastic and the cost a lot less. My mother received a reflexiology massage which she is still talking about !

Pools: It was so hot outside that the pool is so refreshing. It may be a little cold at first but you quickly get used to the temperature. We brought a "Spring Float" raft (bought at Target and it fold right up for easy suitcase storage, no blowing required) we used that quite a bit.

Food: I was worried about the food from other reviews I had read. We had no problem finding good stuff to eat. Men do have to wear pants to the a la cart restaurants which stinks because it is so hot outside. We found a great buffet at the Lindo at night where men can wear shorts. We also enjoyed the Japanese restaurant, the food was good. The steak place was not as good. Our steaks were way over done; however, it does have a good appetizer buffet.

Staff: There are so many people employed at this resort. Everywhere you look there is someone working hard. The staff was amazingly nice. Everyone is so happy, it is contagious.

To conclude, this was the best vacation I have ever been on. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

I went to the Paraiso Maya with my family (wife and 2 kids 10 and 13 years old). The experience was perfect in all ways!

First of all, the property is very big, there are 5 Iberostar resorts together making the complex huge! The only one private is the Grand Hotel, but staying at the Paraiso Maya, you could use the restaurants and facilities of the other 3 hotels.

The rooms are big and nicely decorated. Beds are very comfy, linens are soft, and bathroom is very big, with a separate Jacuzzi for 2 with good amenities, robes and slippers. The only drawback is that not all rooms have view to the beach, but at the end you spend much more time outside, so that doesn’t matter much.

Food is one of the strong points at this hotel. All of the restaurants feature great food, very nice presented and with excellent service. Lobster all over the place! We really enjoyed food on all. Highly recommendable are the following:
- Geisha for an excellent tepanyaki dinner, cooking show is great, very funny and entertaining. We went several times
- La Marina specializes on sea food, very good shrimp and excellent lobster. You have a big starter’s buffet and then a la carte dinning. Make sure to go for breakfast here, it is a la carte and very different from what you get on the buffets (lobster omelet with edam cheese).
- La Laguna for Italian, great food, you also have a big starter’s buffet and then a la carte dinning. Lobster and lamb chops are the best! This is actually situated on the neighboring Paraiso Lindo
- Pagoda is also on the Paraiso Lindo, make sure you go for the lunch Buffet, it is very good.
- El Rancho is a stake restaurant, also very good.

Bar service is extremely good, with high marks on the really premium brands they serve. A la carte restaurants and main bars have the best brands, but on the pool bars if you ask for it you get it (i.e. ask for a Bloody Mary, and they might do it with Smirnoff Vodka, but you can ask for Absolut and will provide it without questions nor tip). Included wine selection on the restaurants is good (3-4 different ones) and of good quality.

Beach activities are fun; my kinds went to all of the archery activities and the air gun shooting. The Star-friends activity coordinators are great! Very friendly and funny. They surely make you enjoy every activity.

The shows at night are very good, the quality is outstanding, considering that the performers are the star friends, and are complete amateurs. Each day they have a different show, but overall great sound, excellent costumes and very creative.

Staying at the Paraiso Maya gets you the privilege to visit the Spa without extra charge. You only get access to the Spa pools, hot tubs, saunas, etc. Massages and treatments are separate and at a cost. The Spa facility is huge and very well equipped. The salt water pool was my favorite as well as the different temperature hot tubs. We left our kids in the pool or on the room, and my wife and I went to the Spa every day (kids are not allowed).

I highly recommend to go to Cozumel, take a taxi to Playa del Carmen, board the ferry to Cozumel and there take another taxi to the Iberostar sister hotel in Cozumel. Being a guest at the Paraiso Maya, you can use the hotel’s facilities and restaurants without cost. You only register at the front desk and they give you a special bracelet. Snorkeling or scuba diving there is beautiful. This hotel is one of the closest to the coral reef. We had somehow bad weather on the Paraiso Maya (no sailing was allowed) and the conditions here in Cozumel were completely different, no wind and sailing all you could want. It was really great! The only warning point is that the ferry moves a lot on the sea, so if you tend to get easily seasick, better take some Dramamine first!

In general a great hotel and a great place to vacation. We have been to several all-inclusive hotels, and this is one of the Best we have been to!

For sure we will come back to this paradise.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed 4/8 - 4/13 and absolutely loved the resort. Our family traveled with another family, and between us we had six teenagers, who had a great time. It was truly fun in the sun for everyone. The resort is beautiful and spacious. Very clean and well maintained. The food was very good. And the staff was fabulous. We all agree we would go back in a minute!

North Haven, Ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I read alot of reviews about this resort complex before I went. I was a little nervous about the grandness of it, being that it had 5 hotels in this one complex. Alot of reviews talked about the far walks and the cold pools. None of it was true. There were a few drawbacks, but nothing that stopped us from having a great time.
We wanted to book the Lindo for my boys because of the wave pool and lazy river, but it was unavailable for this vacation week. We booked the Maya, and enjoyed all the amenities of the entire resort, and then some. The Maya is filled with Art and artifacts of the ancient Mayan culture. There was always something new to look at, sculptures, and architecture of the buildings. The courtyards in the Maya hotel were gorgeous, and many people strolled through to take pictures in them. The walk to breakfast in the Lindo - 5 minutes. The walk to the beach - 5 minutes...to the gym - 5 minutes. It's good to walk after you eat you meals to work it off.
The rooms were very spacious and accomodated our party of 4. There was also a pull out couch bed. Not alot of ventilation in the bathrooms, but livable.
The pools were the main attraction for our family. The water temperature was great, especially since the weather was very sunny and hot every day. The only drawback is the chairs. Prepare yourself.....if you want a chair around any of the pool areas, especially the large swim up bar pool, you have to bring your towels out and reserve your chair by 6 am. If you are late, the lounge chair of your choice may not be available, and you don't have a place to sit. By 10 am, the pool area is packed. Once you reserve your chair by placing your towel on it, nobody moves it for the day, even if you are not there for hours. Water aerobics were fun, and some activities daily for the kids. Beaches were beautiful.
The restaurants were average. Quite a variety of foods. The specialty restaurants were average also. Drinks galore, and quality liquor.
The help was always smiling and very helpful. Never saw any of the help loafing around or keeping a slow pace. Every one of them are hard workers.
Went on (1) excursion - Tulum express. Unfortunately, we boarded the van first at 7:00am. We then had to stop at 2 other hotels to pick up other guests. What was suppose to be an hour ride, turned into almost 2. Tulum was informative, but by the time you got down to the beach area, it was packed and no where to move. Glad it was a short trip, because it was very hot. Back at the hotel by 2pm. My kids were impressed by the tour guide and how informative he was, but not by the trip itself.
We had an excellent time, alot of relaxation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!