“Hard to leave” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Philly suburb
“Hard to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

With two days of travel and only three days to relax, we really did have a hard time leaving this beautiful resort. The magnificent beach, crystal clear pools, and manicured gardens are so expansive that their beauty is not easily captured in photographs. Our snapshots and video simply do not match the remarkable beauty that we experienced.

We, as other reviewers have mentioned, were concerned about the safety warnings heavily broadcasted by the media. Our travel consultant assured us that we would feel very safe and secure in this area of Mexico (away from the border towns and big city.) There was never a minute that we did not feel completely safe as we traveled to or walked from end to end of this luxurious resort. There was a lot of walking between hotels and restaurants, especially at night; we felt completely safe and in awe of the artistically lit walkways, water gardens and vegetation.

This is truly a destination selected by international travelers, looking for a special level of service and luxury. We spoke with many friendly people from Canada, Germany, France, Spain, Japan, and the States. There are people from all over the world there to enjoy the gorgeous natural beauty and excellent facilities.

If you take time to read the reviews, you may find them helpful, as I did. I was not actually surprised by anything during the week because of the notes shared by previous visitors. I was a little disappointed to read certain comments (after I had already booked and paid for the trip,) but after having the experience, I could only agree with the remarks and did appreciate having the "heads up" messages that eliminated the surprises.

Here are some comments that I thought were given in fairness:
The beds are hard! I would have expected a more comfortable bed had I not been warned. The spa is gorgeous....the services are a little pricier than I could afford, but I am sure that all would be appreciated. We made an appointment for my teenage son's hair to be cut and he said it was one of the best he has ever had. (Big compliment coming from a teen!)

The drinks keep coming and coming....so you do have to be aware of your intake. We did not see anyone abuse the alcohol. We are non-smokers, so we appreciated not being surrounded by smoke. I actually don't think I noticed any smoke the full time we were there; I am very sensitive to smoke...so this was a real plus.

The Japanese restaurant was excellent and very entertaining. We had wonderful meals at the gourmet (French) restaurants: Maya, one night, and Lindo, another night. Very, very special dinners at each. We did not go to the seafood restaurant because we heard too many negative comments. We ordered the seafood at the French restaurants and had excellent dishes.

The food at the buffets was equal to that offered on the Royal Caribbean cruiseline buffets. Too much, too good. We did drive to our favorite Mexican restaurant when we returned home because we felt that we never really had the really good Mexican food that we expected.

If you want a robe...take your own. The spa robes provided in the room were teeny...as if they shrunk in washing to a child's size robe. Could not use them. I took my own blow dryer because of recommendations I had read. That was a good decision.

Try to have a lot of American ones/fives to give a little extra to the extraordinary people who help you. You will not have to leave any tips...but there are times when certain workers truly do deserve the surprise. They are never expecting an extra tip and are quite appreciative.

Beautiful place to spend a vacation. I am grateful for the few days that we had to soak up the gorgeous sun and beauty. Hope you have a wonderful time there, too, and come home with as many happy memories as we have to treasure.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

2,514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

We had a wonderful time at the Maya. The service was always excellent and the staff was very accomadating! We had resevations about going with the drug cartel problems going on but, there were no problems at all.The rooms were spacious and clean and the different animals made up on the bed every day was something different and nice. The beach was very nice and there were plenty of palapyas and you did not have to get up early to get them! The pools were plenty and we all felt that the water was not cold compared to what the other reviews have said.The food we all thought was ediable and there were plenty of choices to choose from, We actually liked the Mexican the best! The steakhouse was ok. The italian was good and the Japanese we did not like the food we all thought it was very salty tasting. We did not eat at the French and the buffets were good with the breakfest the best.we were in building No 60 and 61 They are closest to the beach but still far from it. The grounds were kept great and check in at the airport and the hotel was quick and easy.Overall we had a great vacation and we all rated it a 4 only because of the food we felt could have been better. We are from NYC and are used to food being very good. As i said earlier it was edibale and good. I would recommend the Maya to anyone1

ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

My family (husband, 2 sons ages 7 and 14) and I really enjoyed Spring Break in March at the IB Paraiso Maya! We almost canceled our trip due to reports of drug cartel violence in Mexico, but are very happy that we did not. We felt safe during our entire trip to Mexico including during an off-resort snorkeling/cenote tour.

Check-in was quick, easy and relaxing (we were all seated and served cool drinks) and we were given 2 rooms with connecting doors as requested. We were in Bldg 60 which has its own private pool and is close to the main lobby and the Lindo buffet. It was far from the pool and beach, but we didn't mind. Rooms are huge and since we had 2, we had tons of room to spread out! Room decor and amenities were very nice. Beds were a little hard but didn't bother us. Pillows fine. Electric outlets were 2 prong USA style but only had one outlet per receptacle. Bathrooms were large and comfortable. Always had plenty of hot water. Bring conditioner (they do not provide) and your own hairdryer (theirs is weak). Had some problems with the tv's and dvd players but didn't bother calling for help. The room service menu was limited but room service was always prompt (20 min.) and hot. The minibar was always restocked daily with water, soda, and beer and (1 day tequila and nuts). Maid service was fantastic and our rooms were always made up by noon (we did tip daily).

The pools were large and beautiful. The water was very cold (despite outside temps of 85 degrees F). Not too many people actually got in the water, so there was always plenty of room in the pools (wave pool did get busy with kids). If you weren't too picky about location, shaded seats could always be found. If you wanted a particular, popular spot, you would have to reserve seats by around 9 am. Poolside servers came around every 2 hours or so. Lots of families around, a few groups of college age spring breakers, but they were well behaved.

The beach was lovely with very soft sand. The surf was rough (yellow flag most days, red flag once). Definitely keep an eye on your kids! The life guards did not seem to be paying much attention to the swimmers. Plenty of loungers around, but shaded spots with palapas were impossible to find unless you went early in the morning to reserve them.

The food ranged from so-so to very good. Breakfast buffets were great with many choices (eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles, donuts, cereal, fruit, etc.). Lunch buffets also had lots of choices (grilled meat, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, salad, nachos, tacos, etc.). Dinner buffets included a pasta bar too. Desserts got tiring - always assorted pastries that looked nicer than they tasted and ice cream. We tried the Japanese, Italian, Cajun and Steakhouse specialty restaurants. The Japanese was great - ate there twice! Italian and Cajun were pretty good too. Hated the Steakhouse - slow service and the steaks were very poor quality. It was very easy to get all the specialty restaurant reservations through the concierges in each building. We all loved the crepe stand, burger diner, and taqueria at the shopping center. Kids loved the ice cream stand above the main pool.

Poolside alcoholic drinks were yummy but not very strong and not top-shelf. The drinks at the lobby bar were great and top-shelf liquor was available. Champagne was good. House white wine was okay but sweet. House red wine was awful.

Service was always friendly and usually quick. We tipped frequently and generously. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. We used the tennis, billiards, and air rifle facilities and enjoyed them all. All-in-all, we had a great stay at the Maya and would not hesitate to return!

michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

Just got back from 8 fun days at the Maya. Have stayed at the Lindo before so kinda knew what to expect. Chose the Maya side this time for something different. The rooms were fabulous. We had 3rd floor section 63 in the middle of the resort. There was a garden view from our balcony with a beautiful water fountain in the middle. When we got there, our room was not occupied the night before, so it was available at 9:30 in the morning when we got there. That has never happened before. Always had to wait till after 3:00. Went down to the conciere right away and made dinner reservations. Got all the times I wanted every night. Either 6:30 or 7:00. Booked a different restaurant every night. The conciere girls for building 63 was so friendly. Was bathing suited up and down to the pool at 10:00. With all the excitement of the first day, be careful not to drink too much. Take my word on this one. Ha! Watch out for the tequila shots!
Day 2
Got up early and walked the beach and went to the LIndo breakfast buffet. After that, went across the street to the shopping center to investigate. Checked out all the shops and went to the crepe place. They were wonderful. Toured the spa area. Very beautiful. The pool and jacuzzi's looked great. Were so busy during the week, we never got to use the spa facilities. Then went walking around the Del Mar and Beach side property. This night had the Maya japonese show table booked. Ordered lobster, shrimp and scallops.
Day 3
This morning went over to the shopping plaza and caught the 9:00 shuttle to Playa Del Carmen for shopping for the day. This was $4.00. I have been to Playa many times, but my friend had fun shopping and picked up souviners for her family. Went back to the resort at 3:00. The shuttle will give you a schedule of drop off and pick up times. This night we had the Maya Gourmet dinner booked. I got the lamb and my friend got the shrimp. Both dinners were wonderful.
Day 4
Got up early and went to the breakfast buffet right at 7:00, because we had a excursion pick up at 7:20. Booked a tour with Alltournative company. There were 10 of us booked for the day. This is a full day. Got back to the resort around 5:00. First we drove to Coba. Climbed the pyramid. Then went to another place in the jungle and did a short kayak tour. Climbed stairs down into a cenote and swam. Such a beautiful place. Got back into the van and went to a mexican village. Here we rapalled, did 1 zip line and had lunch in the village. Very cultural. This night for dinner we ate at the steak house. Ordered rib eye and a potato, roll and corn came with it.
Day 5
On this day we decided to go over to the sister resort in PlayaCar, the Iberostar Tucan and Quaetzel. Went to the shopping plaza and caught the 9:00 shuttle. At their front desk, they gave us red bracelets to wear for the day and towel cards. Really liked the jungle feel there and loved walking on the beach in Playacar. Had lunch at their buffet and joined in on some of their pool games. Left around 5:00. Had a fun day there and a nice change of environment. On this night we ate at the mexican restaurant. We both ordered the lobster which we loved, and split an order of tacos. Here we ordered mexican coffee after dinner. Tequila and kalua is lit on fire then poured into coffee. Try this if you have never had it. The snake lobby bar made it for us also. The Lindo lobby did also but could not light it on fire. Upon leaving the other Iberostar resort, we took a cab back to the Maya for 20.00.
Day 6
This day is Wednesday. We stayed at the Maya/Lindo for the day and floated in the pool. At noon we went to the beach for the beach party. This was a very fun time. They cooked paella in a very large pan, danced with the star friends, and there was bull riding. At 3:30 we met other people in the lobby and rode a golf cart to the Grand next door for a tour. You can book this tour at the same desk where you make the dinner reservations. Very elegant resort, but a little too quiet atmosphere for me. The rooms , pools,lounges,and theater area was beautiful. On this night we ate dinner at the Lindo Gourmet. Get the lobster soup for appetizer. Finally took the time to see a show at the theater. It was the Boogie Nights theme. I liked the 70's music. Show at 9:30 .
Day7
Today just stayed at the resort all day in the pool. It was time to relax a bit. Had breakfast at the Beach outdoor buffet. Went here 3 times for breakfast during the week. Its seemed to be the favorite. Liked the outdoor dining. Alot of nature there. Seen alot of peacocks, cats, and in the water area around the buffet were birds, turtles, fish. This night ate at the Cajun restaurant. Had shrimp and pasta.
Day 8
Ate breakfast again at the Beach side buffet. Then went and floated in the DelMar/Beach pool till noon. Then back over to the Lindo/Maya pool for our last day. Spent alot of time in the lazy river. I think that was my favorite. A couple times toward the end of the day, we went and relaxed in the Maya private pool in our section. Warm water and very clean. The pool chairs are nice and cushioned. Just no bathrooms in this area or a bar. Had dinner booked for the second time at the Japonese again. After dinner went to the snake Mayan lobby and had mexican coffees. Needed the caffeine. We were going to Coco Bongos in Playa Del Carmen. Someone from the entertainment team went with a group on a tour bus. Got picked up at 10:30. The cost was 60.00. Included the bus there and back and a reserved section for seating and all you can drink. I have been to Coco Bongos in Cancun last year, this one is the same but a little smaller. It you have never been, its worth seeing . The shows and music is amazing. At 3:00am we left there in a group and went back to the bus. The bus was not there so a few of us ended up splitting a cab and $5.00 each ( 4 of us ) and went back to the resort about 3:45. Not sure when the bus showed up. Went to bed at 4:00am and had to get up at 6:00am for continental breakfast and a 6:45 shuttle back to the airport. Not much sleep that night. Ha!

All in all , the week was very nice and fun. My friend has never been to Mexico and she had a blast. Got to see and do alot. We met some wonderful people. Two couples from New York, and a couple from Michigan. Really enjoyed getting to know them. Take alot of ones for tipping. Also if you can , take comfortable rafts from home. Ours folded up in a circle with feet and head rests and cup holder. Fit perfect in the suitcase. The rafts were admired all week. Loved the Iberostar properties, Yes, I would go back if the opportunity arises, but usually every year I book a different resort just for a change. Would not hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

The Maya lived up to our expectations and beyond. We visited the Del Mar 3 years ago and loved the Iberostar properties at Playa Paraiso. There are now 5 properties here, with the Maya and Lindo being a cut above the Del Mar and Playa. The Grand Hotel is for adults only and off limits to families.
During our trip I asked myself what I could criticize about the Maya and found very little. The grounds are exquisite, the pools immaculate, the service first rate, food overall very good, 24X7 on premises medical service, shopping center, tennis, golf, you name it. Everything was so easy.
A few tips: 1. Allow the servers to fetch your beverages. If you get them you will be intercepted with a polite "what are your doing" look. 2. Well drinks suck, but the Spanish wine, Mexican brandy and Dos Equis cerveza is great. 3. Tip the servers. I was embarrased by those who didn't. 4. Beware of the power of the sun. Sunscreen will only work for awhile. 5. The beach has rocks. You may want to wear shoes in the water. 6. Do not go beyond the ropes. I had a scary incident with my son. 7. Although the exchange rate is 14 to 1, the Mexicans treat it as10 to 1 and pocket the difference.
I can't wait to return.

Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

The Ibersostar is a beautiful hotel with a great beach and pools, wonderful food, and a gracious staff. We moved to this hotel from the Moon Palace Golf Resort due to the awful food at The Moon. We travel frequently with our three teenage boys both in Europe and the US. We have stayed at five star hotels and have also enjoyed above average three star properties discovered on trip advisor.

The positives of this hotel are many...
- Beautiful, tasteful decor in the lobby, common spaces, and rooms. Think on the level of the Four Seasons with a Mayan theme.
-Spectacular grounds which are beautifully kept with flowering shrubs, and fountains.
- The rooms are very nicely appointed with balcony, comfortable beds and above average amenities.
- Everything in this hotel is absolutely spotless.
- The staff are gracious and accomadating with each cluster of rooms opening to a common courtyard with their own concierge.
- The pools, including the wave pool and lazy river are great. There are also private, quiet pools throughout the property. The beach is wonderful.
- The food is very good with a great selection at the buffets for all meals. The reservation only restaurants are also quite good. Our family favorite was the Japanese Steak House. Realize that we are not talking Michelin Stars but rather very decent quality food.
- There are water activities at the beach along with Tennis, ping pong, pool etc.
- They have shows nightly. The magic show that we saw was of very high quality.

The negatives are virtually non existent.
- The Gym was somewhat sparse and needed a few more functioning ellipticals and weight machines.
- The wines served are average ?$10-15 range. Oenophiles might be disappointed with the "cellar".

Our family, including our 13,15, and 17 year old boys highly recommend this property for a relaxing beach getaway.

chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

Just returned to Chicago where it snowed 5 inches last night and wished we were still in sunny Mexico. How could you not like this place - the beach is great, the weather is wonderful, and the people who work there are very friendly. I read every review for the last two years and really appreciated the comments and tips and will leave mine too. For some background knowledge, I have two teenage boys (13 and 15), and I am a very picky traveler (kind of a hotel snob) so this is our take on the resort:

1. Hotel is gorgeous like everyone says. Rooms are huge and beautiful. There is a lot of walking. That is not an exaggeration. We are in fairly good shape and my hamstrings were sore from all the walking. Bring good shoes like suggested. Women - Don't bother packing high heeled spikey shoes since most of the walking is done on stone walkways and heels can get caught in them. Didn't mind the walking because you eat so much that it's nice to walk it off. It is confusing, but can figure out by 2nd day.
2. Food is pretty good - not great. The buffets are actually decent because there is so much to choose from. My family loved the fruit and the I loved the payaya with shrimp and scallops and the corn fritters. None of us got really sick (just a little bit, which was normal - nothing that we couldn't deal with). Bring Pepto Bismal. Brought Cipro too and none of us needed it. Good restaurants - French, Japanese, Seafood Just okay - Steak house (my husband said it reminded him of Ponderosa). Book right away - hard to get times you want.
3. It was so windy and because of that, the beach activities were canceled, which my kids were bummed out about. They couldn't kayak, snorkel, Parasail, go on Wave runners, etc. Plus you have to be 16 to go on the Wave runners or ATV's (which cost a lot of money). They ended up going scuba diving with Dressel Divers, who are just wonderful. Jorge, Vanessa, Ben, and Paul were so nice and accommodating and took my family scuba diving in Cozumel because it was too windy to go in Riveria Maya. They loved it! Watch undertow at beach if windy.
4. Other reactions from comments I had read : Beds are hard, but pillows are good. Water pressure is shower is fine. Blow dryer gets too hot to use so bring own. Shows are cheesy, but they try hard. Can get TV in room - sports channels in Spanish, but at least had NCAA games, make up mirror in bathroom lights up, beach not rocky close to Grand so don't need water shoes, We tried everything - Spa, bike ride, fitness center, yoga classes on beach, Bingo, shopping center, ice cream, walk to other hotels, beach party, smoothies, etc. They were all fun and I recommend them all.
5. Go to Playa De Carmen - fun shopping and good restaurants.
6. Sun is very intense - bring lots of sunscreen- at least 50 - saw so many people sunburned badly.
7. Star friends are so sweet and work hard - we loved Gerado, Patti, Franceso, and especially Daniel! Everyone is very friendly and work so hard to please.
8. There's so much more to say because this resort is awesome, but don't want to go on too long. Read all the reviews- they are very helpful. We had an excellent vacation and thought this was definitely a 4-5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!