“Two thumbs up for Iberostar Paraiso Maya” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
“Two thumbs up for Iberostar Paraiso Maya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was my first Iberostar experience ever and I adored it.

We show up early in the morning in the lobby, late flight.
Entering the lobby was grandiose. WOW. I'm still amazed.
The decoration of each restaurant is exemplary.
The suit junior offered is a perfect, can't ask for more.
The pool and the pool bar are refreshing.

The service, the quality of the food and drinks, and the service again is IMPECCABLE.
The Staff always ready to service you with a REAL SMILE.
G.Os are funny, entertaining, motivating and INCREDIBILE.
The maintenance staff are always present, it is a CLEAN place.

I want to salute the staff that they shared my wonderful experience in this Hotel:
Francisco (Bellboy), Manuel and Paul (concierge), Arminda (the cleaning lady), Armando and Felipe (waiters in the restaurant El Tapatio and La Marina), Javier (Barman in the pool), Fernando (Sommelier in the restaurant L'Étoile), Juan Pedro - aka JeanPierre, Alejandro, Gabriella and Aaron (G.Os.) Franklin (cook in the La Geisha), the cleaning and maintenance staff at the beach, the hotel, the restaurant, the pool, the garden, etc...... and all the others (sorry don't remember all your names).

I am seduced and mesmerized of this hotel.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Polish first
Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The service is fabulous. You will feel like royalty. The hotel resort has 5 hotels and they are ranked. The higher ranked hotel can use all of the facilities of all lower ranked hotels. The maya had 4 fancy restaurants, and you get to use the spa for no charge. Make dinner reservations when you check in . They get booked and sometimes only later dinner times are available. The food is not that great in my opinion. The buffet food is cold, if it is supposed to be cold it is room temp. The service in all of them are great!
When you check in you will meet a concierge.. There are two types one works only for the hotel, and one will be a VIP concierge. If you are not vip Iberstar member, they will try to get you to tour the Grand Iberostar and listen to a 90 minute VIP sales speech. We said NO several times to Louis, he was very pushy. We avoided him and stuck to making reservations at our building. ( each building at the Maya had a desk manned to help guest services.
Grounds and pools seemed equal to me at all the different hotels. I did not get to roam the GRAND hotel so I do not know how that hotel looked. They encourage the " private tour for the Grand" The lower ranked hotels seemed to have the "party" crowd at them. Maybe it depends on the week?
Drinks were fabulous, and they are good about keeping you refreshed. Even if you drink virgin fruity drinks they keep you stocked.
The spa is included with Maya and is wonderful, if you get a chance go to use the pools and hot tubs.
We had a room that was damp that felt ,moldy to me. We got a sore throat and cough after 3 nights and were moved to a new room . The next room was dry.Both rooms were clean and nice ( except for the moldy feel in the 1st room ) They said the AC was broke in that room, so maybe that is why? The bed in our 1st room was a nice pillow top and soft, the second room had a stiff very hard mattress. There are different beds in different rooms.
It seemed at times we were alone there, walking at night sometimes we did not see other guests about? I did not think it was crowded and I did not ever feel I had to wait too long for anything.
Great service!!!! Great pools, great grounds!

Room Tip: Building 60 is closest to the beach, building 65 closest to the lobby and main restaurant area. Buil...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Five years ago I stayed at the Tucan and had a great experience so when the travel agent said the Maya was even better I said sign me up please as I was very excited. I went with my sister last week and this was her very first vacation so I was really excited for her to see our beautiful hotel. Once we got there I was so embarrassed! It is a far cry from what the Tucan was 5 years ago. Here are the issues as they happened:
1) we walk into the main lobby and it smells of some kind of mix between cleaner and incense...the smell was just nauseating and would have been a major problem for my mom as she has asthma/allergies
2) cup full of juice or alcohol was sitting outside our door when we arrived at the room and sat there for 3 days
3) we walk into our room finally and the very large heating vent is missing from above our door so there is a big gaping hole that looks pretty gross and we have to wait for someone to put it back...
3) the room has a safe but it was not working at all so again we had to call someone over and they determined it was missing a battery!!! Really?
4) Our two bathroom sinks kept clogging....at one point we were down to 1 usable sink.
5) On our 2nd to last day, room service made our beds/ replaced our sheets and the "clean" sheets appeared to have what looked like dry blood all over them. We asked for new sheets but didn't wait for them and then when we got back to the room they did put new sheets on the bed but then they left the dirty ones in a pile in our room!!!!
I was so embarrased and angry that this was my sister's first vacay and we had to put up with this. Not to mention the food was absolutely horrible. We did the buffet and nothing looked fresh or appetizing and it was the same thing every day. We also did the Mexican themed restaurant which was a joke, just the same food as the buffet but with table service. Hot food was always cold too. As if that wasn't enough, the beach was not maintained well...lots of garbage that you could tell had been hanging around for a few days. Lots of seaweed too even though there was a truck that attempted to pick it up. The beach at the Maya was subpar to the Tucan. Overall just a bad experience and totally overpriced! The place is getting run down and needs some serious TLC. I must say that all of the staff were friendly enough.

Leadville, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We landed at the Maya through the Apple Vacations 6 Golden Apple Square Deal. Not knowing where we would stay until departed from Denver and in the air was challenging.

Reception at Maya by Concierge Roxanna was great and informative. We arrived late afternoon and before restaurants were open for dinner. Roxanna ordered room service to carry us over until the Buffet was open. Keep the map from reception as you will need it until familiar with the layout of complex.

The complex is huge and the walkways could be layed out better. Our room was 6565 and adequate for our stay. Order a King bed and a mattress topper, as I felt the bed was very firm. Don't expect much of a view, ours was of trees and of portions of the other buildings.

The spa was great after day at beach. Wet areas are included at no extra charge.

In general the restaurants are very good with great food and service. Avoid the Jambalaya (Cajun) restaurant.

Lots of animals on site. Deer, Peacock, Iguanas and Coati. The Coati are my favorite and are near the beach about noon.

I would come back if the price was right. Definitely plenty to keep you occupied and a great beach.

Room Tip: Ask for King Bed with mattress topper/pad.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Peace River, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just got back from a week at this resort! It was an incredible vacation and we didn't even do much! Lots of pool and beach time and it was exactly what we wanted. The pools were awesome, the beach was great, the service was good, the food even better! In fact we couldn't get enough of the food. Sure we ate too much at every meal. The nightly entertainment was beyond our expectations. The entertainment staff was awesome!

The only negative thing I have to say about this resort is the beds are small and hard. As well, we asked our vacation rep, the best way to get to Playa Del Carmen and were told to do the $25 Silver factory tour. When we told him we had done that previously and weren't interested, he told us the only other way is a $50 cab ride each way. Days later we heard the noticed a sign later, that you can take a $7 shuttle there. So disappointed we didn't know this sooner as we didn't end up going as we were out of days but the time we knew about this.

Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone! We were also very impressed with how well a majority of the staff spoke English.

Room Tip: Building 61 or 62 are both good if you wanna be close to the pool, wave pool and lazy river.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My wife and I with our two year old son travelled here again this January because we remembered it as being very child and family friendly. We were not disappointed as it was almost exactly how we had remembered it. The service was still as excellent as I remembered and everyone seemed to have a smile on their face and went out of their way to help us when we needed it. Every morning when we went for breakfast we were met by Mariza and she always smiled and spoke with my son, which he very much enjoyed. It did seem that there were less people this year at the resort than when we went last year and I think it is a slower time of year. This did cause a few small issues in the buffet when it seemed that food items would i.e. a roast would not be replenished once it was done. So it became a first come first serve type of atmosphere for that stuff. But I can understand they are not trying to waste food either. We had reservations at the Japanese (good food and show), the steak house (El Rancho and again very good) and at the Mexican (El Tapito and again very good). And my in-laws ate at the gourmet French restaurant, which they said was excellent. The service at the bars was always quick and friendly. I give the bar tenders at the pool bars credit for having to deal with so many kids asking for smoothies and other stuff while keeping the adults happy.

Upon arrival we were told that we were being upgraded for free to Junior superior suites in building 62 but other than having a few extra feet I could not tell the difference from our suite last year. Our room also had two double beds and not a king size but because we were right beside the in-laws it was much easier just to stay there. The double beds were very hard though and I ended up sleeping on the couch a few nights as it was more comfortable. Though I did not sleep on it when pulled out as there were a bunch of springs sticking out, yikes! The king size bed in my in-laws suite was much softer though so next time I would ask for one of these. They did provide us with a mattress pad when we asked though and it made the bed somewhat better.

We stayed on the second floor and for some reason there is only one elevator (small) to get up there. So with a stroller and a child this was a pain for the first few days until they fixed it. But we managed and usually only went up and down with the stroller at the start and end of the day anyways. Problems with our room safe and in-laws air conditioning were dealt with quickly.
Our room was cleaned everyday to a high standard and our cleaner was very friendly.

The gym had received several improvements since our last visit which have improved it a lot. Some new equipment and space has made it more useable and it was usually busy when I went there. One big improvement is that the resort has hired a husband, Miguel I believe, and wife team to run classes there. My wife went to three (two boot camps and a kick boxing) and she loved all three and had a very good workout. She is in excellent shape and had been worried prior to going but loved them and wanted to make sure I mentioned this in my review. I mainly worked out on my own but did go to one boot camp and found it to be a very good workout. I would do more of these if I go back. I did not attend any of the classes taught by Miguel's wife but I did see that the Yoga classes she taught appeared to be full and heard other people state that they very much enjoyed them.

Unfortunately we did not see any of the staff from our last visit but I believe that this would be because of them being moved up in positions within the resort or over to the Grand hotel.

My father-in-law and I played golf again at the resort and I will submit a review for that as well. Needless to say it was great.

Room Tip: Ask for a king size bed and avoid the doubles. Get a first floor room if you have children or have a...
Ogden, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We spent 5 days at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya and absolutely loved it. The service was very good, the food was even better than I remembered it from last time and the employees are wonderful.
The only issue that we ran into at all was we had a broken tile in our shower that left water all over the floor. They had maintenance people on it and fixed very quickly.
This is our second trip to the Maya property and we plan on returning.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!