“Horrible food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Delran, New Jersey
“Horrible food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Let me start by saying that the entertainment was excellent. Whether it was the pool entertainment or the nightly shows we enjoyed them very much. Now, for the food it was bland cold and all the places served the same thing. Yes you get lobster tails that are boiled cold and no taste I had to drench them in butter just to give it flavor. The shrimp was slimy from being boiled to long. I also don't understand why reservations need to be made we ate around 8:30 and the places were empty. I do have to say the taco place in the mall was very good, I would have been happy to eat there all week.

When we checked in they told us they were going to upgrade our room to a bigger suite. We traveled with another family and they didn't get upgraded and had the same size room. They put us in a room facing trees and construction going on that starts 8:00 in the morning. That's not my idea of a upgrade. Also, the electricity must have gone off everyday for a short time.

Finally I want to say the resort itself it beautiful, very big tho. After the third day I had blisters on my feet when I asked the conceirge for a bandaid she said she could only give me two I would have to pay for more. Really.

All of the employees were very friendly, and had a smile on their faces. I don't think I would go back. Due to the fact the food was awful and the drinks watered down. When you go on vacation those are two important things to get right and Iberostar Maya failed in both of those categories.

Room Tip: We stayed in building 60 good location
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I have travelled to many 4+ all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean and must say that we were extremely pleased with the Iberostar Maya. We have been to the Mayan Riviera many times, with our most recent trip to the Iberostar Maya.

As we were travelling with our 2 year old twin girls we were very selective with the hotel we wanted to go to and wanted to make sure we were choosing a very respectable hotel that offers a high standard. We were definitely not disappointed as everything about the trip exceeded our expectations. Starting from the accommodations, gorgeous beach, amazing food, excellent service and endless activities to keep the whole family busy, we were pleased with everything.

We loved our stay so much that we are soon going back to the same resort for another wonderful family vacation. I highly recommend this hotel and in comparison to other hotels we stayed at in the Mayan Riviera (including in the “Palace” category), the Iberostar Maya is a great choice and we would highly recommend it for your next family vacation.

Aneta OS

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Wroclaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Very nice, not so quiet, lots of mosquitoes in the evening, lots of things to do in the hotel, hotel is very big to it is easy to get lost. The jacuzzi does not work in our room. The food was average. Lots of pools.

Room Tip: Take a map from the lobby.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We decided to have a wedding at iberostar paraiso maya and we were completely let down. The service was awful and they truly didn't care that we were having a wedding there. Don't do it! Even though Iberostar claims "all included", they are wrong. Every single employee there won't lift a finger unless you tip them. On our actual wedding night, I had at least 5 people come up to me and ask me for tips. After our wedding, staff members actually went up to my guests and asked them for tips as well. They complained they weren't getting paid enough and actually went up to my guests and asked them to pay for it! I laid out nearly one thousand dollars in tips and they still keep asking for more. The hotel did not accommodate our large wedding group for anything. On the day of our wedding, they didn't have a room so that the bridal party could get ready together. Do you know what they did? They charged me $500 to use an EMPTY suite for four hours. I had no choice! What were going to do - not have the bridal party get ready together like every other wedding tradition? They literally made me pay to use an empty room. It's so tacky. They didn't upgrade my room to a suite for our wedding weekend, they told me i had to pay. They had a suite open and unused and they still didn't let us use it. We brought over 80 guests to the hotel and spent a lot of money, only to be treated so poorly. They acted like they didn't care we were there and that we had chosen them for such a special occasion. All of my guests were let down. I am embarrassed. I hope other couples considering a destination choose a better hotel for their special day. I've traveled the world and have never experienced service as bad as this, even just as a guest - not a groom. The food was awful and the restaurants won't let you sit down because of their reservation system, even though they were always empty! On the day i was checking out, i found hidden charges that i had to dispute. That's the type of place and people you will be dealing with. I have another example of their accommodations: on check day for all of my guests, rooms were not ready. My guests had to wait hours before getting a room, even though they had the check in times before hand. I had to stay at the front desk for hours at a time to get rooms changed to those that were already made up and ready to go. Imagine going to a destination wedding, traveling for 8 hours, and then having to wait 3 hours to get a room? They had empty rooms available! None of the employees want to work unless you pay them money under the table. That's who you are dealing with. I had to pay people to get rooms changed. Sad... just sad.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are the same... don't pay for any upgrades as they are worthless. It's a l...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

This is my second time in Iberostar. Last time we stayed in grand. We walked around in the resorts. So nice! Have to say nothing is changed. Just perfect!
Staffs are helpful. Weather is very nice. Shows at night are amazing. We will come back in future. BTW, it is really friendly for kids to stay.

• Stayed December 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Upon arrival we were given a full overview of the resort, had all questions answered, and was taken to our room via golf cart. Smoothest checkin I have ever had. We got to the room and it had a horrific mold smell. But with what I consider this resort's 5 service, we had a new room without questions by that evening. The next morning two different people asked how our new room was which was nice. The pool area, restaurants, and beach were some of the best I have seen at an all inclusive. The pool was huge! So many activities as well. The Star Friends did and amazing job keeping everyone entertained throughout the day. They had breakfast with people, walked around the pool and talked to people and the lobby bar too. Gil was especially friendly and came to the lobby bar, introduced himself and talked to us for about 15 minutes. He was so nice and I am glad he spoke with us about the show that night because we ended up going and it was fantastic!
Filberto at the swimup bar was more than accomodating and so friendly.
Every waiter we had in all the restaurants were friendly, accomodating, and helpful.
I have also never seen this at any other resort, but every building had it's own concierge for questions and dinner reservations and such. That was fantastic! We were able to make all our dinner reservations so easily.
While we were not traveling with children, I would absolutely recommend this place for families. Very child friendly and so much for them to do!
Overall I would give this place 4.5 stars. I would absolutely go back and recommend it to anyone looking to travel to Riviera Maya, Mexico.

• Stayed December 2014
St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We loved our stay at the Maya. High point - the staff. They couldn't do enough to ensure our stay was all it could be. Our concierge staff - Maria, Vania and Lidia went over and above to assist us - always with a beautiful smile. Diego and Omar from the French restaurant were so efficient and made us feel so welcome. Angel drove us around the resort a few times and without fail, made us laugh. Mariza, who served in so many roles, hostess to entertainment crew, always greeted us with such a smile and we looked forward to seeing her every day. Finally, Carlos (our newly adopted son) from the entertainment team, never failed to give us a hug and big smile. The resort is very large and it took a few days to find our way around. The walking paths are all hard surface and even if you use a wheel chair you can get anywhere easily. Walking every day allowed us to enjoy the good food and limit the weight gain. Only complaint, the lounge chairs by the pool outside of Bldg 63 are not comfortable for reading. The staff moved some "recliners" into the area and we (and anyone else who got there first) used them every day. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Bldg 63 is near the Lindo and provides some closer access to enjoy that hotel also. The small pool...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!