“Traveling with Kids” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Rutland, Vermont
“Traveling with Kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

The Iberostar Paraiso Maya is a great resort for families with kids. We will be vacationing there again.

My husband and I traveled extensively prior to having kids. Since having kids (daughter 7 and son 2) our travel has changed but we still enjoy taking the kids away several times a year. We tried a Beaches resort when our daughter was 2 1/2 but we were not satisfied with the quality of the kids club or the private babystting. Since then we have always brought a nanny with us to watch the kids while we are at dinner or playing golf. Having a nanny with us is convienant but also intrusive therefore we decided not to bring a nanny on this trip. When I was researching kid friendly resorts I was surprised by how few advertised towards famlies with kids and how few tripadvisor reviews discussed traveling with kids. I found this resort through Travel and Leisure magazine which rated the resort as the #1 resort in Mexico for children. I had trouble getting a room for Christmas but after searching the internet I found a room trough Bookit.com which had 2 rooms left. I had very good luck with Bookit.com and would book through them again.

From the time we arrived through the time we checked out our vacation was fanatastic. So great that I had trouble getting my husband and daughter to leave the hotel to go to the Zcaret waterpark.

Through Bookit.com I had requested a room near the kids pool and a crib. We checked quickly without any problems and they gave us a room near the wave pool which was the perfect spot for young children. It was also driectly in the middle of the resort.

The resort is massive and our first impression was that it was too lrage but after a day we learned our way around and the size did not bother us.

The resort property is beautiful. The suites are roomy and well decorated. Parents with two children can get the suite with the king bed and have the kids stay on the pullout sofa. The suites have a refridgerator and a coffee maker.

Each small building has its own concierage to help the guest make dinner reservations, laundry, set up babysitting, etc. We packed lightly with the intent of using the laundry service which we did and found the service, easy, problem free and inexpensive.

The beach is beautiful as well and we did not have problems getting chairs. There was no annoying prople on the beach trying to sell you stuff. The resort had massage huts on the beach and huts for pottery, air tatooes and hair braiding (all of which were not included in the price of the room). My daughter loved the pottery.

The pools were beautiful and one had a swimup bar. Most had zero entry points for the little kids to hangout at. We did not have problems getting chairs at the pool either. Both my daugther and my son loved the wave pool which runs for 15 minutes every hour from 11am til close.

My daughter did not take advantage of the kids club which will take kids as young as 4 therefore I cannot comment on it. We did take advantage of the private babysitters at night and were very impressed by our babysitter. All the babysitters are concierages at the resort that, upon advance notice, are wiling to babysit on their off hours. We had the same babysitter all of our scheduled nights. She would come at 8pm when the kids were ready for bed. Our kids adored her. The resort has a 24 hour, kids firendly, room service menu and we would order room service around 6:30 then by 8pm the kids were ready for bed and the babysitter would take over and we would enjoy dinner and the show. The baby sitters get $10 an hour for 2 kids.

The food was acceptable. Except for the Jappanese resautant which was awful, the restaurants were no better or worse then the food on an average cruise ship. I was not expecting 5 star food therefore I was not disappointed. The seafood restarurant is the the best of the restaurants.

The entertainment, for both the children and the adults, was very good. If you go for Christmas, bring presents for the kids. Part of the Christmas eve show is Santa on stage giving out presents that parents left at the front desk. I did not know about this beforehand and had to buy presents at the resort so that my kids were not the only kids not called on stage. On the nights that my kids were not exhausted from the beach the babysitter would take the kids to the early (kid friendly) show.

I cannot say enough good things about the staff and the service. I do not think I have ever stayed at a resort, even a 5 star resort, with such great service. From the busboy at breakfast, who followed my son around with a broom and dust pan, to theconcierages and the front desk staff everyone we encountered gave spectacular service. In addition everywhere we went in the resort was spotless. People were constantly cleaning around us.

We will definatley stay at this resort again and I have already recommended it to our family and friends.

FYI, there is a medical center and pharmacy on premises. You can also buy diapers and swim diapers on premises. I am not sure about baby formula. For those of you who do not need a suite the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo shares all of the same facillities with the Paraiso Maya but does not have suites and is less expensive.

• Liked — Extremely kid friendly
  • Disliked — The food
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

2,408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

We just returned from a week at the Maya 12/17-12/24. Bring lots of $1 and $5 bills to tip everyone! In addition, I had made up 15 goodie bags with candy, toothbrushes, etc. that we handed out to maids, bartenders, concierge, etc. because it was Christmas and to ensure great service which we received!

FOOD: I was especially worried about the food. The first day, I thought "This isn't so bad" but by the last day I was ready to go home. The best breakfasts were in the Maya buffet. Less crowded, a tad more upscale. We tried the beach buffets for lunch but always ended up in the Lindo lobby buffet because they had a better selection. We ate Japanese twice since our teenager loved the shrimp and steak. My hubby loved the steakhouse, he had the filet which was thick but the ribeye was very thin. The french gourmet in the Maya lobby was great. We had lambchops and medalions of beef. The french moulon rouge theme was a little scary with the manequins starring at you though. The International down at the beach was better than we all expected. The worst ala cart and the hardest to reserve was the Brazilian! No lamb! The service was terrible and the sirloin was worse than on the buffets. I was surprised to see how casually dressed everyone was at all the "fine dining" restaurants. The only rule is long pants so you can wear jeans. And ladies, leave the nice shoes at home because it's a long walk everywhere in this resort and the roads are stamped concrete.

DRINKS: The pool bar was fun but the drinks were weaker than in the Maya lobby. I was drinking Don Julio and Grand Marnier margaritas and they made them very strong at the lobby bar! We always asked for the last one in a to go cup to bring back to the room. The Music bar was our favorite place because it was never crowded and Carlos, the bartender did great tricks and was especially friendly.

ROOM: Our room was always cleaned well and all requests for extra towels, soda, beer, etc. promptly filled. Bring a hair dryer though since the one in the room is hung too low and is just a tube like a vacuem cleaner hose.

BEACH/POOL: The beach was nice but my hubby and son both scraped their feet on rocks while they were jumping the waves. Wear water socks. The pool wasn't as cold as I was expecting. I enjoyed the water arobics with Enrique and the pool games with the star friends were fun to participate in or just watch. The Star friends also do the shows at night so after a week, you get to know who's who.

EXCURSIONS: We did the Mayan Adventure Snorkeling which was good. We did see fish and a sting ray. They also took us to an underground cave to swim in and to a Cenote with a zip line and a high dive platform. Our guide was Berto, who has trained to be a chef, so when I saw him eating the chicken lunch, I figured I wouldn't get sick. It was one of the best meals we had in Mexico although watching them pluck a chicken in the woods which we weren't supposed to see was a bit unsettling.

We did Jungle Jims ATV's which were a little more expensive than the other tour but the ATV's were bigger and faster. They took us to a nature park where we fed some bananas that we took from the buffet to the monkeys. There were lots of jungle animals here. They took us in an underwater cave and then we went swimming in a cenote with a diving platform. Bring some bandanas to cover your head and face because you are wearing a sweaty helmut and the tour is very very dusty.
We feel we got a much better value for our money by taking these 2 trips than doing XelHa or Xcaret. Our friends just got back from these 2 places and said they didn't see one single fish snorkeling at either of those places and I'm sure it was much more crowded.

While on the excursion, we picked up a group who were staying at the RIU Palace which was closer to Playa Del Carmen and they said the food was better than the Iberostar resort. If I was going back to Riviera Maya, I would want to stay here and be closer to the action.

• Liked — Pool, Clean room
  • Disliked — Distance from town, food
Allerton, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

We stayed at the Maya Dec. 11 through the 18th. Had never stayed at an Iberostar before. Had stayed at Moon Palace Cancun, and Grand Palladium, Punta Cana. Maya was definately a more family oriented place. Catering to more families with children and the younger crowd. We were celebrating our 23 anniversary and didn't take our girls with us this time. Being 15 and 20 yrs of age, they would have loved it. We thought the buffet food was just ok. If you left hungry that was your fault, but it was just ok. Sometimes the food was cold if you got to the buffets later. Dinner dining reservations were great in El Ranchero, Japanese. El Fogon was not so good, went there our first night not knowing really what it was. Went back to our room hungery that night. Just a hint, talk to some of the people there that have been there for a few days/nights. Find out which restaurants they liked best. That is what we did. We buffeted breakfast every morning in the Del-Mar. If you stay at the Maya you get to use the Del- Mar and Lindo restaurants, which we found is a little better than the maya. The beach gets crowded by 11 am or so. Pick your chair and stay there. The grill at the beach is good. You can come and go as you please. Fredrico at the Maya side of the beach was our bar tender and he was great. Tipped him with a few ones everyday and he remembered me from then to the end of the week. Kinda nice really. Beach was great. My husband Gary, busted waves all day one day. Got some sun that day. Watch out for the rough flat rocks about 30ft out. Once you get past them your fine. Water was really warm, warmer than the pool. Drinks seemed like they were watered down a bit. They would need to be though, with as many as they dish out. Check in and out was great. Everyone courtious enough. Make sure and buy a phone card in the lobby of the Del-Mar for $20 for 20 mins just so that you can call home and check on things. Use the pay phone in the lobby not the resort phones. I think if we go back, which we are thinking about, we would stay at the Del-Mar. Oh, don't hand feed the critters they call coatis. They bite. Who knows what disease you will come home with. Overall. We loved our stay and plan to return someday.

• Liked — Beach/Pool
  • Disliked — Distance to walk to restaurants
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

My fiance (engaged at the Iberostar beach!) and I had a fabulous time at Iberostar Riveria Maya from Dec 8th-13th. We were impressed with the location, our room and our relaxing vacation. Before we left, I was a little concerned with a review about the place having as many children running around as Disney. We didn't have this experience at all. There were children around, but I'd say the majority was adults. The children that were there were very well behaved and we had no troubles.

I'll review each aspect of the trip and hotel the best I can.

Hotel Appearence/Layout:
I think this is the highlight of the hotel. The facilities are immaculate and creative. If you do not want to stay at a large resort this place is not for you. I don't have much of a sense of direction, but I was still a bit lost after being there for a week! There were so many things to do and places to go that we could have stayed for two weeks and not done everything. The structures, pools, restuarants, etc are all decorated extravagantly. There are literally people painting, gardening, cleaning, etc constantly. We enjoyed walking around and looking at different things and exploring very much. We saw peacocks, a monkey at the beach, coatis, turkeys, iguanas and sea turtles during our stay. It was fun to have friendly animals around to watch for.

Beach/Pools:
I will let you know that neither of us had been to any beaches outside of the US before. We thought the beach was very nice. There were some rocky parts and we were happy that we had borrowed some water shoes. We didn't take advantage of any of the free watersports, but there was plenty available. We never had any problems finding beach chairs. The pools were cold, as some other reviewers mentioned. We didn't swim in them too much and I think the wave pool was broke, because we never saw it going. We did have a lot of fun at the lazy river.

Room:
The room was fantastic! We especially loved the semiprivate balcony with a sitting hammock and our bathroom. The housekeeping staff does appear to come at strange times and also multiple times throughout the day. They never bothered us and left us a bottle of tequila and towel animals. We noticed the bed was firmer than we like, but it didn't bother us.

Service:
The most disturbing thing about the service was how other traveler's treated them at times. You receive fantastic service at the bars and restaurants. We also received good service from our concierge.

Food/Drinks/Bars
We typically ate breakfast at the restaurant closest to the lobby and enjoyed al the choices! They cater to a variety of tastes and cultures. We ate lunch at one of the buffet restaurants or the snack shop at the beach, which were both fine. We booked dinner most of the nights and had no problems reserving where we wanted or changing times/places. We ate at the steakhouse, japanese, italian, cajun. We enjoyed most of the restuarants, with the highlight being the Japanese. We did not enjoy the Steakhouse at all, but talked to another couple who loved it. I guess it just depends on your tastes and what you order. I also found most of the bread to be really, really dry. It's not that big of a deal though when there is so much else to eat! We had absolutely no complaints about any of the drinks we ordered. We took a liking to the low key atmosphere of the Melody Bar and loved Carlos, who was the bartender there. He knows a lot of really fun bar tricks. We met some other travelers there too. It was more our taste than the discos. The beach/pool bars are great too during the day. Lastly, the hazelnut ice cream at the shopping center is delicious!

Overall, I know that we are very easy to please, because we were so happy to get away from the Illinois weather and enjpy this wonderful stress free week. There was little that would have ruined our trip, but Iberostar completely exceeded our expectations and we would gladly stay here again.

• Liked — architechure/decorations, beach, melody bar and japanese restaurant
  • Disliked — the steakhouse
Worcester, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

We were looking for our first vacation in some time. Did we make a mistake. Kids screaming everywhere. Food tastes like high school cafeteria.

We had a few issues with staff and complained to managers. Well, we tried to talk with managers, but managers not available No help from assistant managers. We agree with other comment listed here.

Your money would be better spent somewhere else.

• Liked — Pool, Beach
  • Disliked — Food, Staff, Entertainment, (lack of) Management
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
macon, ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

We have traveled all over the world. First, I must say that the buildings and location are beautiful. The pools are wonderful and the beach is wonderful. If you want to pay $1500 per person for a beach and pool go right ahead.

The food is cafeteria quality. It takes 20 minutes in line to get eggs to order. Management says sorry but doesn't fix problems. Multiple request took up to 10 hours to rectify. Communication with staff is inadequate. Didn't let us know of all dining options until night before we left.

The shows they offer are local talent. Actually the beach staff is the talent. My local high school shows are silmilar quality! OMG for $7000 we our family we feel ripped off! We usually don't do all inclusive or cruises for this reason. When you are there you are stuck with no recourse.

Get this. They charged us $250 (phone bill) to call Delta's 800# and our travel agent so we could get a direct flight home. There was no information about FREE calls costing money anywhere in the room or on the phone. All our complaints were greated with we are sorry...you owe us money. When I said I wouldn't pay the extortion fees, the called securty and had them lock down the gates so we would miss our flight if I didn't sign my credit card info and pay them!!!!!!

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE QUICKLY!

GOPATSGIRL@YAHOO.COM

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Management, FOOD, Shows all well below average.
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

We stayed at the Iberostar Maya from Dec 10 to 17, 2008.

CHECK-IN - we arrived on a Wednesday afternoon in Cancun around 11:45am and were at the Hotel, checked in, and eating lunch by around 1pm - it was great timing. We flew direct from Toronto with Air Canada Vacations. Our group was myself and my hubby, both 32, and another couple, also our age. It was a much needed trip to connect again with good friends without our kids. We left them at home with the grandparents. Check in was easy and painless, and our room was ready when we go there.
ROOMS- We were in building 63, third floor, with a view of the private pool. It was a good location – third floor is usually the quietest with no over head noise and no where for bugs to crawl in (like on terrace rooms). Our room was huge, one of the rooms with the lattice style divider between the bedroom and living room. It was at least 4 feet bigger than our friends room, theirs was two down from us. Their living room was smaller than ours. The bed was hard, but we didn't care at all - we were so exhausted (and full) each night that sleep was never hard to come by. We had no problems with bugs in our room, or bugs at all throughout the entire resort. They were never ever an issue for us. I would suggest to women to bring their blow dryer and shampoo etc. The resorts shampoo was horrible and they don't have conditioner. The blow dryer was like a vacuum cleaner hose and it got insanely hot. I had to hold it with a face cloth wrapped around it so I didn't burn my hands. And the hose was short so my back was sore after drying my hair - lol.
POOLS - all the pools (private ones, wave pool, lazy river, main pools at each resort) were all clean and beautiful. They were huge and it was never an issue to find a spot to sit. They were cold but very refreshing when it was hot out. Which brings me to my next point...
WEATHER - we didn't have great weather while we were there. In fact the first two days were downright cold. We had to wear sweaters and long sleeves and pants in the evening. We didn't even think about going in the pool - when it was so cool outside, with no sun, who wants to swim? We felt sooo sorry for the "Star Friends" who still had to go through with the pool games - they were just shivering. The first four days we had more cloud than sun - but we went out with a bang...the last two and a half days were spectacular and georgeous. We were down there with friends to relax on a holiday without kids, we didn't care at all about the weather, we still had a fantastic time.
SPA - we were so glad that we were on the Maya side with access to the spa. We had sooo much fun there on the cloudy days. They had a fantastic indoor pool with lounge chairs, Swedish style hot tubs, steam room, sauna, Swedish showers etc...all for free for Maya guests. It was so much fun to be able to take advantage of it. I am sure with great weather we never would have seen it, but when you can't guarantee the weather, it's great to have an alternate plan for the day.
GYM - I also used the gym. It was a very efficient gym that would allow you anything that you needed for a "vacation" workout. Nothing fancy, but effective. I am a personal trainer, so I could go on and on about the gym...but it did the job. I also ran in the mornings and the complex was big enough to plan a route and do a few laps of the complex and get in a decent run.
SHOPPING CENTRE - we didn't spend too much time there, but we did want to see it to experience everything. It was never ever busy when we were there. You have to walk through the shopping centre to go to the spa so we walked through it a few times and it was always quiet. We tried the tacos and the crepes just to say that we did. Nothing spectacular, but it was a fun treat. It was neat to watch the crepes get made right in front of you.
BEACH - although the beach was beautiful with soft white sand and great water access...every time I was on it, I felt like a sardine. There were sooo many chairs packed on the beach that we were practically sitting on top of each other. It didn't do much for me...all those people and all those chairs sort of ruined the ambiance for me. However if you walked down to the Grand it was so beautiful and quiet - like night at day. I guess that’s why they pay more - lol. We always ended our day at the beach because our hubbies played beach volleyball every day from 3:30 to 5:00pm. The men loved it, and wouldn't miss a game. It became a real little volleyball "clique" and they had a blast together.
RESTAURANTS/FOOD - I don't have one bad thing to say about the food, the quality or the restaurants (buffet or a la cartes). We all enjoyed every meal we had and no one was even close to experiencing any food related illness. We aren't too hard to please and aren't picky, but we can't understand how anyone can't find something to eat. There was always something for every taste. And if you can't find something, then I have to say that your expectations are too high, or you are just too picky. The buffet breakfasts were our favourite. Everything you could possibly imagine was at your fingertips. We tried all the different dining options for breakfast but enjoyed the Maya buffet the best because it was considerably quieter and less busy. You could also order off a menu there if you wanted too. We always ate our lunch at the pool side buffets. The selection was great and it was sooo convenient. We tried the Lindo buffet for lunch and it was a bit nicer, but it was just easier for us to go to the pool. We were never disappointed - and usually ended our meals with a trip to the ice cream bar - my fav was oreo cookies and cream - yum. They even had sushi some days for lunch - it was great. The best part about being at the Maya was our unlimited access to all of the a la cartes. We ate a la carte every night for dinner. It was fabulous. We started every evening at the lobby for a drink or two with a few bowls of popcorn to snack on, then headed to our reservations. Does it get better than that? We ate at the Japanese tapenaki tables twice, the Italian twice, Seafood, Mexican and Steakhouse. All were fabulous meals. My highlight was the lobster - I had it at the Mexican and the Seafood restaurant. At the seafood restaurant they brought us out an extra plate of lobster tails for us to share because we all loved them so much. The staff was fabulous. The only downfall was the deserts. Even though the menus have a desert selection... all deserts were buffet style. I am used to getting pretty funky plated deserts at a la cartes and I always looked forward to that. The deserts at the a la cartes were the exact same deserts you could get at the buffet - nothing special.
DRINKS - the drinks were plentiful and yummy. The bar tenders amazed us by the amount of drinks that they knew. You could spit out any type of drink that you like, no matter how different it might be, and they knew it. They never disappointed me, and I always was able to try tons of different drinks. And if you asked for top shelf liquor, you would get it (at the lobby bars anyway, we never cared when it came to our poolside drinks). We had poolside drink service every day and loved not having to leave our chairs when we were lazy. Don't forget your insulated mugs for daytime, they are a life saver.
INTERNET/PHONE CALLS - we used the internet regularly, but it was a pain in the butt. Half the time we put money into the computers to buy time, half the time we had to buy time from our concierge, then it would change and we had to buy time from the front lobby...it was always different and it was so unorganized. The internet was down about as much as it was working. It might be working in one lobby, but not the other, so we had to walk back an forth a lot to find computers that worked. And it was out for two whole days while we were there. It was a pain but it was our communication to get updates on our toddler at home and updates on my sister who had a baby at home while we were away. We also had arranged two phone calls from home. It was cheaper to have my parents call from home to our room at a specific time of day. It would have cost twice as much had we tried to call home from our room. The reception was clear and the calls were easy to make.
STAR FRIENDS/STAFF - the "star friends" team was great and they were always helpful and friendly. They did a great job and ran tons of activities every day. The big disappointment was the evening shows - I thought they were horrible. I have been to many all inclusives and they had the worst shows I have ever seen. After seeing a few bad shows, we just gave up and didn't even bother going. On a side note, the pool aquafit classes were a joke – but we got a good laugh out of participating. As for the rest of the staff, they were great. Some staff were exceptional and went above and beyond, and some staff were forgettable. We never ever had any reason to complain so we were always in a good mood, so the happier we were, the happier the staff were to serve us. It's all about attitude - treat others like you want to be treated....and you will get the same in return.
RESORT IN GENERAL - we really enjoyed this trip and the resort in general. It's a big resort with tons of things to do. It is beautifully landscaped and very very clean and prestine. They take great care in the small details, and it showed. The place was really spectacular and beautiful - everywhere. My husband and I have been to over 10 all inclusive resorts, and 4 others in the Mayan Riviera (Moon Palace, Grand Palladium, Occidental Xcaret, Barcelo Maya). Each resort has it's own distinct advantages and disadvantages, but this resort ranked well against them. I am very glad that we paid the little extra for the Maya section, the Spa alone made up for the extra cost on those cloudy cool days. All in all we had a spectacular vacation and I loved every minute of it. I wish I was still there.
You will love this resort...I don't know how it's possible not to.

• 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!