“Amazing - just had our 3rd vacation there” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Amazing - just had our 3rd vacation there”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This resort is beautiful and there is alot for all to do. Multiple pools, great beach, helpful staff and great food. I am GF and they assisted me in eating safe and I wasnt glutened at all. We love it there and return year after year. We book with Liberty Travel which is amazing as well and Olympus tours was excellent in our transfers!

2,419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

It was our first trip with our two year old and it was wonderful! The staff is kid friendly and very helpful.

The pools, wave pool and water park offer a wide variety for fun activities.

We really enjoyed our experience and thinking of going back.

• Stayed July 2014
Hampstead, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Hotel staff was friendly and very accommodating. Food and drinks were excellent. Room was clean, adequate and secure.

Be prepared to deal with a common pool side problem - pool chairs being reserved by early AM guests who place towels around and are often absent for extended periods of time preventing others from having chairs. This is a common problem in American resorts and not unique in any way to this hotel.

We really appreciated the value at Iberostar and will likely return in the future!

Room Tip: Request floors above ground level to minimize mildew concerns. The climate is very hot and humid!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at the resort 7/14 to 7/21. Overall everything was wonderful.

We had a smooth quick check in upon arrive which was 11 am but rooms were not ready until 3 - I kinda think maybe they were available but check in was at 3 - I am not complaining about it - because as stated check in is 3. We went to the bar and had a few drinks while we waited and went to the buffet for lunch. The bartenders were overall attentive and remembered what our drink preference was from visit to visit. My daughter loved the little shop in the bar area that served small sandwhiches, pastries and all kinds of coffee.

Our room was fine - nothing super special but totally acceptable. Plenty of room. I dont like to complain but there was not hot water in the jacuzzi tub at all so I could not use it and the magnification mirror on the wall was for someone definitely under 5' tall if that - and I needed it to use it as the lighting was not the best - but thats it and I even hate to complain about it - not like I couldn't make it through the week. We were in building 63 which we were very happy with - it was close to the pool area and not too bad walking to the lobby - We didn't get much room service- maybe two times and it was fine - we didn't wait long and the food was fine.

We ate at the buffet every morning for breakfast which was good - the standard all inclusive - egg stations and everything else you can imagine - it was good - I had no complaints - lunch was also good - we usually ate down by the pool - had all the basics and then some. We did do the specialty restaurants and we enjoyed them all - some more than others. We particularly liked the seafood restaurant - the fried shrimp were very good. We did each restaurant once and the seafood twice.

The pool was nice although it was quite crowded. I am not thrilled about that - but its July - people vacation and kids are out of school.......I was there once before in November and we had the pool basically to ourselves! There was also the issue of the towel game - it is what it is - if you didn't get up and put a towel on a chair by 8 or 8;30 you weren't getting a chair because it was rather crowded. So we got up and we put our towel on the chair. The STAR friends were awesome - this is my third Iberostar trip and everytime they were just so friendly, sociable and did their best to entertain and inform you of what was taking place throughout the resort.

The service was great - all of the bartenders were super nice and like I said remembered you and what you drank - everyone said Hola as you passed I had no complaints at all about the service - we asked - we received -

As far as wifi - we had no issues - it was available by the pool...in the lobby and in our room - it was free and it was how we kept in touch with family at home.

All in all we had a another good Iberostar experience! I would return to this resort and would definitely recommend it. Want to especially thank Filiberto (Fiji) at the poor bar for the wonderful drinks - he worked his butt off serving drinks in that pool!

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have been to a few resorts in Mexico. And this is one I will not go to again. The layout and map are so incredibly impossible to get around and very hard to find people if you do not have working phones. The service is not prompt. The food is overlooked and just about the same thing every day...And the front desk and managers are terrible rude and don't know a thing about customer service.
Needless to say someone broke Into our safe and stole money. We had no AC for two days so we had maintenance come in. And someone that works for complex broke into our room. We asked the front desk to help and speak to the manager. They refused to accommodate us and acted like it was our fault it happened and there was nothing that could be done.
Don't waste your money here...go somewhere else. There is nothing at iberostar playa maya that makes me want to go back.

• Stayed July 2014
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It was a great resort for a family vacation. The staff and customer service was excellent. We highly recommend this location and resort. Note: If you are deciding between the Del Mar/Beach resort and the Lindo/Maya resort, keep in mind that the buffet restaurant(s) at the Del Mar/Beach resort are outside = not air conditioned. We were very gratefull that all restaurants at the Lindo/Maya resort had air conditioning. It allowed us to have a break from the heat without going back to our rooms -- just one reason it was worth the extra money to stay at the Linda/Maya.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

new milford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My in laws took our entire family (11 people) here last week. Prior to arriving, I read trip advisor reviews and laughed at someone who talked about the fountain in the front not working last month. Well, it still doesn't work and is symbolic of the entire resort.
Check in- Check in literally took over an hour, no exaggeration. (A few days later I saw others checking in while passing through lobby, and 45 min later, they were still there, so it wasn't just our large group) Request a room that has already had mattress replaced. The hotel is in process of replacing them.
Food is awful in the buffet restaurants. Steakhouse, seafood, Mexican, avoid at all costs. The Japanese, Brazilian, Jambalaya and French were all good, and not attached to a buffet. Japanese was as good as any Hibachi place you would go to at home. You have to make reservations in advance of arrival for the restraints or will be resigned to the awful buffets. More frustrating is, other than hibachi, the restaurants are never more then half full. The staff will tell you it's because people don't show up, but that isn't the case. You will notice restaurants on each side of a common entry, they share a kitchen. The one on right will a lot reservations at 630 and 9, the left, 7 and 930. This staggered time system allows for prep. The reality is the resort doesn't have enough staff to get more people in. Though it is an all inclusive, the hotel could never accommodate 25 pct of the guests to all eat in the restaurant without the vast majority having to go to the buffet. Room service was disgusting. I am convinced it was a bell hop going to the kitchen and taking left over buffet food from earlier. Disgusting is too nice of a word. It is free 24 hours a day, and I ordered it but the one time. Also, forget milk. It is not out during the buffet, and when I asked for some, it was either sour, or some milk substitute of some sort. If you are a fine dining fan, lower your expectations quick, and make sure you get reservations to the 4 places I mentioned, while sparingly eating breakfast and lunch buffet (no other choice there)
Ambiance is good. Resort presents as you would expect. Nice decor, painting up to date, clean pools and beach. Staff is very accommodating. They seem to go by the Disney method of acknowledging you if you make eye contact and saying hello if within ten feet. Some speak virtually no English, other a little, and some better English than I speak Spanish. Ivan ( pronounced E- Von) with one of the travel companies inside the hotel is fantastic. He went over and above to be like our personal concierge and he isn't even a hotel employee, rather commissioned by travel company. If you are staying here, he is the first person you want to introduce yourself to.
Beware of topless European sunbathers if you are on Beach with kids. My 12 yr olds eyes nearly popped out of his head. Nothing you or hotel can do about it as it is legal and the Beach is technically public. You have to get to beach before 7 if you want chairs with overhead canopy, and trust me it is necessary. It is the hottest 90 degrees you will ever experience. 5 of 7 days there was zero breeze. Be careful of drop offs and rocks in the ocean- big rocks you can easily get your ankle caught in. Like almost all of the Caribbean, the water is very warm and offers little relief from the oppressive heat.
Pool- picturesque. The lazy river is lame. Bring tubes or you pay a fortune for them. The pool water is way too warm for my liking. If you are someone who wants pool to be 88 degrees,you will like it, not me. I found no relief from the heat in the pool or ocean. There are several different pools on the property, and I was unable to find any water in my estimation that was below 84 degrees or so.
Pool bar was kinda cool, but what you would expect in resort like this.
Hotel room- nice. No tv in the couch area, only visible from bed which is a bummer for me because my wife likes to go to sleep early and I like to watch TV. If the room is only to have one TV, I think the couch area is the right place for it, maybe that's just me. Our Air conditioner broke. At first I just thought it was hot or maybe hotels system was on low so I blew it off and slept warm one night. By the next day, we realized it was broken as our kids room next door was far cooler. Things break, no big deal, we called concierge, maintenance was there in 10 minutes. The man went into ceiling pulled out something that was. Very hot, burnt out, compressor kicked on, we go to dinner figuring problem solved. We come back two hours later, air is clearly not working. I call the concierge. I am told I must have left a door open. Um no, I explain, maintenance was here two hours ago I tell her. She says you want me to come show you- absolutely I tell her. She storms up completely indignant, goes to balcony doors. I could see egg on her face before she completely turns around. I bring her into my kids adjoining room, show her the vents put her hand up so she can see where air comes from and how it isn't in our room. She calls maintenance, they come immediately. I understand Spanish pretty well for a gringo, and I hear the maintenance man saying the motor is almost completely shot. The part that burnt out earlier did so because it gets hot when that happens and is a safeguard of sorts to prevent a fire, but the motor is not going to work and has to be replaced. She tells him (in Spanish) something to the effect of these spoiled Americans have to have a nice cold room and you are making me look bad because you didn't do your job. That's when I broke in speaking Spanish to her telling her I understood what she said, don't blame him, and get me your manager now. It was a fight to simply get a bed in an empty room at 11 pm to just sleep in for the night while it was fixed. It was at this point we realized just how poor the matters in our room was because the new one in the room we slept in was night and day.
The next morning I go back to room, maintenance comes at 9 am (different guy) I had expected it to be fixed the night before. The guy tells me the motor is shot and needs to be replaced. I told him we knew that last night. He says, I need to go get motor I will be back in 20 minutes. This is at 930. I'm sitting in room waiting while other 10 in our group have gone to breakfast and the beach. I get a call from the snotty concierge who is still on duty from 11 the night before, (no wonder she is a snot) she tells me they are getting a motor and it will be fixed within the next 3 hours. Timeout. I was told 2 and a half hours ago that he'd be back in 20 minutes. Well, he just called me now she says- agsin, blaming her lack of awareness on the maintenance guy. I told her, it's your job knowing there is an issue to be on top of it, not waiting for them to call you. I tell her in no uncertain terms that I am not pleased, have yet to eat or shower, and am still in my room instead of with my family. She says oh you can go, we can fix it while your gone. No way I tell her. I have zero confidence at this point, and the last thing I want are people in my room with my stuff all over the place. I don't need something missing and maintenance blaming it on maid and maid blaming it on maintenance. The motor arrives in about an hour, issue finally resolved. My wife and I are given a complimentary massage at the Spa for our troubles.
The Spa- beautiful place. My wife's massage was very good, mine felt like a 45 min sunblock application. Jenny was my masseuse. My wife had Raquel. If you like a softer massage, Request Jenny, if you like it more intense, request Raquel.
You thought I wasn't happy so far, get ready for the next day. On We'd July 23, my son has an accident on the water slide. Blood everywhere. He gashes his lip open, we go to the medical facility on the property to see the Doctor, presumably for stitches. We find out this is a private facility, not the resorts! The doctor doesn't have a steri strip to put on it, never mind to stitch it. He tells us they can call a taxi and I can either bring him to hospital in cancan and hour away or the private hospital 20 min away, but that it is urgent because he can get an infection that can quickly go to his brain..Ok red flag-hyperbole and much closer private hospital. I ask for an antibiotic as we are going back to US next day. No, that won't work he says, you need to go to hospital. Ok, so do they take us insurance. I don't know. Ok let's call. I call to find out they require a 2000 US dollar deposit to be seen and if the bill is less, I will be reimbursed, if he needs plastic surgery, it will be more. Ok, I have travel insurance with up to 50,000 in medical coverage, can I bring that policy. No I am told, you pay up front. I go back to my room, call travel insurance. They tell me I need all receipts documentation bills and have to apply afterwards and if it was warranted they will reimburse me. The hotel tells me they have no liability even though accident occurred because water stopped running on slide causing an abrupt stop at end of the slide. I take pictures of my son on my iPad, and message them to my friend who is an ER doctor in states, and went to medical school in Mexico. I spend next half hour waiting for reply from him and trying to get a flight back to US. My doctor friend messages me saying it's a scam, they will max out your credit card. Get him an antibiotic and the last thing you want is to go to a Mexican hospital. I go back to medical clinic at resort with my iPad and my dr s antibiotic recommendation and dosage in Spanish as he is fluent, and doctor agrees to write prescription, but his charge is 37 to write the RX. I pay it, walk across to Pharmacy and pay 45 more for the antibiotic. The hotel liaison at that point asks me to fill out an accident report. My initial reaction is, why? You told me your not responsible, and I had to even pay for a prescription from a doctor on your grounds. I fill it out but insist on a copy.
At no point did this resort meet, nevermind exceed my expectations. The bright spots only seemed bright compared to the maladies. In reality, the bright spots are what should be expected of a resort like this.
I would no recommend this resort to anyone. Your experience could be better than mine, but I hope if you are already booked, you know what to look out for.

Room Tip: Request room with new mattress
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!