“Family and Friends vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Family and Friends vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I along with our 12 year old daughter visited with some friends and their kids ages 12-18. Our family travels to Mexico usually about 2 times a year and has stayed at many different all-inclusive resorts (ex. Barceló Maya Palace, Dreams-Cancun, Dreams-Puerto Vallarta, Fiesta Americana Condesa-Cancun, etc.). I would say Iberostar Maya is comparable to most, but not as good as compared to the Barceló Maya Palace which has remained as our favorite family resort.

Rooms: Our room was wonderful and spacious. I read that some felt the beds were too hard, but we found ours to be just fine. The seating area has two more tables and a coffee table, a couch and a desk with yet another chair. The balcony was furnished with two chairs and a table and a hammock style swing which was nice, but no real view except for some trees\jungle. We had a visit from a Coati one morning as he climbed up a tree to take a peek at us on the 2nd floor. We were in building 60 closest to the beach which fit us just fine as we are beach and pool people who like to be in the action.

Beach, Ocean, Pools: You do have to wake up really early to “reserve” a palapa if you want any shade (the first row of palapas were all reserved by 6:30am and second row was usually gone by 7:30am). There are quite a few to choose from so that is nice. The ocean had lots of waves to jump which was a plus for my kiddo, but there were quite a few areas with large rocks and we all stubbed our toes jumping those waves. The only other drawback was that there was a ton of seaweed in the ocean. I know that the resort can’t control this, but I never really seemed to notice that much seaweed when we stayed at our other resorts so it must be the area here in Playa Paraiso. The Star Friends (activity directors) do have a lot of activities planned and because the resort is so large, we didn’t know about many of them unless we asked so if you want to participate, just go find them and ask what that particular days activities are! A few of the activities like archery and air rifle shooting are somewhat hidden. The main pool is HUGE! A man-made cave gives you some shade by the swim up bar. The water was extremely warm (like bath water), but I like it that way. We tried out the wave pool too which didn’t have very big waves, but still pretty fun to visit.

Food: I think this was one of the biggest cons of this resort. The food in general was better at most other all – inclusive resorts we have stayed at and unfortunately more than 1\2 of us got sick this trip. Ugh! Again, as I have mentioned before, my family travels at least 2 times a year to Mexico, the DR, etc. and have never gotten sick before so feel we have some pretty strong stomachs. Unfortunately, there were quite a few things at the buffets that didn’t really taste right, but who knows what did it. Like everyone else says, email the resort before you go to try and get the dinner reservations. We did and were able to sample 6 different dinner restaurants. I personally witnessed another family getting turned down for dinner reservations for the first 2 nights they were there because the concierge said they just “didn’t have room”, but the restaurants were half empty every night we went. My personal favorite restaurant was the gourmet restaurant called “El Museo”. Their lobster bisque was wonderful, drinks were made with perfection and the service was outstanding, not to mention the atmosphere was very nice. Then the Japanese restaurant Geisha was definitely a great restaurant too. We were lucky to receive a very fun chef who interacted with our entire group. The fried rice was flavorful, the chicken was juicy, the shrimp was great as was the vegetable tempura appetizer. The other gourmet restaurant, L’Etoile, had a mixture of reviews. I really enjoyed my sea bass meal and believe this was the restaurant which had a fabulous chocolate lava cake. Others ordered a stuffed lobster and did not like that. We also ate at the El Rancho Steakhouse and the La Marina which were better than eating at the buffet, but not great.

Maintenance: Yes, the huge fountain at the entry of the lobby and the hot tubs in the middle of the pool area were not functioning and had yellow caution tape around them our entire stay, but little things like that don’t really bother us. Workers were constantly cleaning the resort—we even witnessed a worker scrubbing the grout in a food service line with a toothbrush on the beach in the extremely hot sun!

Management/Staff: Most of the staff was wonderful. Our maid was great. Every time we came back to the room, it was all made up with extra bottled water that we requested and new towels if needed. 95% of the waiters we encountered were extremely friendly also. The check-in attendant was very efficient and our room requests were honored. We did come across a very upsetting end to our trip though…. My daughter always gets her hair half-braided when we go to Mexico. That last 5-6 times we went, the price quoted from different braiders was around $35-$40. I didn’t find any of the hair braiders walking the beach this trip though so I asked one of the staff where we could get her hair braided and they said that they are the only ones that do it on their beach so I asked the price in US dollars. She spoke very good English and advised a half head was $75 U.S. dollars. Yes, that price was double what we are used to paying, but we went ahead and got it done. My husband tried to hand her the $75 (US) dollars plus her tip and she said that they would just put it on the room charge and couldn’t accept the money there, besides the tip. The next day when we went to check out, the front desk person told us we had an $88 charge for the braids. What? He said that it was $75 in Mexican pesos, not US dollars and wouldn’t even listen to us when we told him that we asked numerous times the cost in US dollars (PS...the price is not posted in writing anywhere). Then we still couldn’t figure out where he got that US dollar figure as it didn’t match the exchange rate. He proceeded to tell my husband that the exchange rate had just changed that day (making it more expensive for us of course) to which my husband replied that he should use the exchange rate from the day before since we had the service completed the day before, which doesn’t even take into account the fact that we were not even willing to pay over the $75 US dollars that was quoted. Of course, he knew that we had to catch our transfers to get to the airport so we stopped arguing, paid whatever Iberostar wanted, and left with a bad memory. So sad.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Polish first
Nanton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked this resort because of the reviews for kids. We had so much fun when we were here November 2013. We just booked again for December this year! The evening entertainment for kids is awesome. The only thing I will bring this time around is bug spray. The sand flies loved me. If you attract bity bugs - bring spray and Benedryl. You will thank me for the tip.

It's a beautiful resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with other travelers your review about how your holidays went last year at our resort.

We appreciate your comments on our Entertainment Team “Star Friends”. We are really happy to know that you and your family had so much fun in November.

We will do our best to make you feel very comfortable and relaxed during your winter holidays in Mexico. We all look forward to welcoming you back at the end of this year for another memorable experience!

Cary, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I traveled with family July 12-18, 2014. I was not impressed at all with the 5 Start All Inclusive experience. As others wrote about in their reviews, the entry fountains were drained and not working, the waterfall at the swim-up bar...not working, all Jacuzzi tubs at the pool were closed and not working. The Resort is beautiful but it is very spread out and you have to do a lot of walking.

The food was sub-par, not as fresh as I would have hoped and I felt there was a limited selection. We ate at 4 of the restaurants and the only one I enjoyed was Hibachi. The French Restaurant was "OK", but the Steakhouse and Mediterranean Restaurants were TERRIBLE!!! In the Lido Buffet Restaurant by the beach, someone had dropped some rice on the floor and I sat and watched for 30 minutes while people (including staff) stepped over, walked around and through the rice. The Manager walked by 2 times and ignored it. I finally told him that they'd better clean it up before someone slips and they have a real issue. The drinks were OK, but watered down unless you asked to have extra liquor added and they did not feel "special" to me. They were made very quickly in abundance with others ordering the same drink.

I had a Jr. Suite which was a nice size room and a nice location (Building 62, Room 6215), but it was not cleaned well....especially the Jacuzzi tub. I would have liked to have used the tub, but opted not to because I really didn't feel it was clean. The credenza in my room that holds the TV and has 2 drawers and 2 shelves underneath the TV was broken and the doors were torn off. The AC in my room would not go below 21.5 and without the help of the two ceiling fans, it would not have been cool enough to relax and sleep in that room. Also, the bed and pillows are very hard - my family was complaining about them also. I have been on 5 cruises and I definitely enjoy cruise drinks and food to this All Inclusive Resort.

I would definitely try another All Inclusive Resort in the Caribbean, but it would not be at the Iberostar.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya team, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent holidays.

We are sorry that you were not happy with our gastronomy; our Executive Chef works everyday on offering a great variety of delicious food; our Food & Beverages Manager will also receive your review about the incident you mentioned in the buffet to take actions because this is not our standard; please receive an apology about this.

We feel sad to read that you felt disappointed with your accommodations and our facilities. We will keep working hard to maintain our hotel in perfect condition.

We would also like to comment that our hotel tries to set an example in environmental friendliness and it is certified by Green Globe, which aims at saving energy, reducing waste and protecting our planet to show we care about future generations. This is the reason why we maintain the temperature of the air conditioner at 23 degrees and why the air conditioner automatically turns off when the balcony door is not shut properly. However, as our guests’ satisfaction comes first, we lower the temperature limit if our guests do not feel comfortable.

They can feel free to talk to the Concierge about their concern and we will be more than glad to adapt the temperature to your personal needs.

We are sorry that the circumstances mentioned affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel; we hope to have the opportunity to change your point of view in the future.

Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We loved every minute of our stay. Awesome service and food. Had plenty of events for the whole family to enjoy. We love the beach and this beach had it all! Could not really ask for anything else!! Well, maybe one thing... There were so many activities going on every day we really needed some kind of daily update on what was happening. I think an "APP" would have been the solution but that's just me!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear guest,

Let us begin by thanking you for having chosen us to spend your vacations.

We are very proud to hear that you enjoyed our delicious food, the wonderful service provided by our staff and also of our entertainment.

We are pleased that you highlighted the numerous activities offered by our staff every day and we would like to inform you that we have created a daily program that is located at our Front Desk and also in each building on the concierge desks.

We hope to welcome you back next year to our resort for another memorable experience.

Playa Paraiso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Loved staying at this resort, My family loved it, and we would recommend it to anyone interested in Mexico. There was a descent amount of entertainment although not as good as a cruse. Very friendly and helpful staff and a beautiful and well kept room.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

Dear guest,

On behalf of the entire team of IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us and that you were able to take advantage of the activities and the other facilities offered in our resort.

We genuinely hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again in the near future and as such, we look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,
Apopka, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Paraiso maya entry fountains drained entire time.

Jacuzzis at pool closed entire time.

Tram not operational until last day

Steam room at gym closed entire time.
Hot tub at gym closed entire time.
Several pieces of equipment not operational at gym. Only two stationary bikes and one elipitacal machine.
A lot of "Star Friends" using gym. They should have their own.

Speakers at pool only one side (lindo) worked. No music on Maya side.

Chairs held by people all day without using them. Need to get chairs by 7am if you want sun.

Pool entertainment very weak and not much energy.
Pool service exceptional.
Pool cleanliness not great. Lot of dirty cups and debris in pool.
Pool buffett basically same options everyday.
Lazy river no rafts ever. Had to purchase at $13-20. Towards the end of the week they had some but they were from the people that checked out and left behind their purchased tubes. They just simply took a magic marker and wrote lazy river only on them.

Pool for the beach and the del mar was much more manicured, kept up and beautiful over the pool for the maya and the lindo. Little things like grandeur waterfalls, islands with bed's and sunning areas along with quiet areas and music throughout.

Maya had only 2 pool tables (at the Lindo) that were outdoors however the del mar has 4 in air conditioned room.
Mayas rooms and hallways very nice however landscaping and trails through the del mar & beach far surpassed the Maya.

Pay more for the maya but honestly only the rooms are different. Supposedly the food quality is better at the Maya then Lindo, beach or del Mar but did not taste the difference. No one checks bracelets at lazy river or wave pool so don't need to pay extra to stay at the maya for that!

The grounds and extras at the Parasio Beach and the Maya are definitly much better and less expensive then the Maya or Lindo.
Food quality was no different at any of the properties we ate at.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to vacation at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

We are sorry you were dissatisfied with some of our facilities. Our Maintenance Department works hard on a preventive program that takes place throughout the year to ensure we do not have this type of situations. However at times, some parts needed to fix certain things take a little bit longer than we would have wished for. This is not meant to serve as an excuse, it is only to reassure our guests that we are continuously on top of things and that the image we conveyed during your stay is clearly not what we want our customers to experience. We will continue working tirelessly to have everything in perfect working order for our valued guests.

We will analyze all of your observations about the other aspects of your stay to prevent these from happening again.

Concerning the differences among the 5 hotels of the complex, IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya is a more upscale property with certain advantages and extra amenities for our guests, such as the use of our restaurants and the others at Paraiso Beach, Mar and Lindo, the baby kitchen, elevators in buildings, free WIFI in rooms and lobby, more complete and spacious rooms, private swimming pool, access to spa wet area for adults only, plus other services. Our Security Department will also receive your impressions about the control of our amenities in our complex.

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic vacation with our 13 year old son, and 9 and 7 year old daughters!! Definitely recommend.

First impression: lobby is beautiful and has a lovely lemon verbena scent the immediately transports you from airport hassle-mode to full vacation-mode. Check in was easy and personal and they brought our bags up to our room for us.

Rooms: the rooms (we had family suite with adjoining rooms) were exceptionally large and clean with nice bathrooms and patios. The hotel changed out all the mattresses mid-week so any complaints about uncomfortable beds-which we agreed with at first-- should be disregarded. The hotel stocks the mini fridges with water, beer, and soft drinks daily; a nice touch. The room safe is large and holds multiple tablets, etc.

Property: the property is lush and lovely! I've never seen a more beautifully landscaped and unbelievably large (understatement) pool in my life! So many different pool areas to choose from including lazy river (very lazy but enjoyable), wave pool that waves every hour during the day, zero entry areas, a spot with spa jets, swim up bar, fountains, etc. plenty of chairs -although need to get out there early to claim a spot under a grass umbrella if you want to laze around in a chair all day. We did not want to do that so we found a less desirable spot each day to plant our floats and flip flops. We heeded other travelers' comments and brought cheap inflatable floats with us. Not entirely necessary -- there are property floats you can use at lazy river -- but still nice to have our own. The walk from pool area to beach takes you through mangroves which are really pretty and you can spot birds, iguanas, coatis and other wildlife. The beach is also amazing!! The water is beautiful. Again the chair situation is not ideal, but it didn't bother us. (Note-the chair situation is definitely not unique to this resort; it's true at other places we've vacationed and even at our local YMCA!) The rest of the property is also well manicured with lots of trees, water features, rock formations etc. tons of bathrooms scattered throughout, lots of garbage and recycling areas, and even places to place your drink glasses as you stroll along and finish your latest drink.

Activities: there are activities for all types. Pool games, beach games, dance lessons, tennis, sailing, ping pong, billiards, to name a few. Some activities, such as sailing and tennis, you have to reserve a time but we didn't have trouble doing so. Some extras ($$) include hair braiding, henna tattoos, and pottery painting on the beach (all in sheltered areas). One note re pottery--we were so proud of the bowl we painted as a family. They say they will touch up the lines and glaze it so you can actually use it for food. When we got the final product it was beautiful but boy did they touch it up!! Too much for our liking as it really didn't look like the bowl we painted other than the colors we chose. Oh well.

Entertainment: corny in some respects but fun all the same. Some real talent among the staff and entertainers and the costumes are really great. After dinner you head to the main theater in center of resort and continue drinking (and eating popcorn) and watching the pre-show activities (consisting of silly singing and dancing contests (my husband and I actually won one of the silly contests!)) before the main show starts at 9:30 each night. Very fun! The show is over by around 10:30. I think there was karaoke afterwards, but that's when we turned in with our girls. Our teenage son took advantage of the teen club most of the nights and the resort felt safe enough for us to let him enjoy some freedom and come home on his own after us. There's also both a teen and an adult disco, but we never made it there. I'm sure it was fun.

Food: very very good. We are foodies and while I wouldn't say the food is the best I've ever eaten... it was perfect as part of the whole vacation experience. Plenty of variety, including for kids. Lots of Mexican choices, but other types of food too. The buffets are really well stocked with a variety of fresh fish, fruits, veggies, cheese, meats, breads and other starches, and desserts. The two breakfast buffets included an omelette station, many fresh juices (watermelon and cantaloupe were my favorites) smoked salmon, fruits, pancakes, waffles, and tons of other choices. Lunch and dinner buffets -- including a great buffet on the beach -- were also very good. Never too crowded and the service for drinks and plate removal was great. The specialty restaurants are included as far as price but you do need to make reservations. We ate at steakhouse twice, the Japanese, Mediterranean, and Mexican restaurants once each. All were fantastic! Loved that the first course and dessert was at the buffet with main course ordered from menu and served. (The Japanese was different with all three courses ordered and served. We did hibachi style and it was delicious!!). We had no problems making reservations when we arrived through the concierge at our building. But we were very flexible and not too picky with times. If you like to eat at a set time each day, you may want to try and reserve before you get there. There's also ice cream all day until 6pm with typical flavors and also interesting favors including coconut and mango. Yum!!!

Drinks: included. Need I say more? Okay I will. My only complaint is the only beer was Dos Equis. Not my favorite (actually dislike it). So I was "forced" to drink mojitos, margaritas, bloody Marys, cosmos, wine, etc all week. So sad. LOL!

Excursions: we did an all-day excursion that involved zip lining, snorkeling both in a cave and in the ocean (sea turtles, coral reef, etc), and repelling through a company called Adventuras Mayas. Would recommend it highly. Our particular package was called Snorkel Extreme. We left at 7:45, lunch was delicious and was included, and we were back to the resort by 4:30.

Overall, five stars. would come here again but also look forward to trying another Iberostar!

Dear guest,

On behalf of all our staff members, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort, IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our facilities, and that you felt satisfied with the warm and friendly services provided by our staff.
We work hard every day to offer our guests always the best, and thanks to comments like yours we know what we are doing right and what could be improved.

Regarding the choice of beer, we regret not having the beer of your liking. Nevertheless, let us mention that we provide a wide range of different kind of beers such as Superior, Heineken, Sol, Sol Zero, XX and Ambar, among others.

Once again, thank you very much for trusting us. We are confident that you will be soon with us again! We look forward to your return.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!