“"Not a '5 Star' Experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Cary, North Carolina
“"Not a '5 Star' Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I traveled with family July 12-18, 2014. I was not impressed at all with the 5 Start All Inclusive experience. As others wrote about in their reviews, the entry fountains were drained and not working, the waterfall at the swim-up bar...not working, all Jacuzzi tubs at the pool were closed and not working. The Resort is beautiful but it is very spread out and you have to do a lot of walking.

The food was sub-par, not as fresh as I would have hoped and I felt there was a limited selection. We ate at 4 of the restaurants and the only one I enjoyed was Hibachi. The French Restaurant was "OK", but the Steakhouse and Mediterranean Restaurants were TERRIBLE!!! In the Lido Buffet Restaurant by the beach, someone had dropped some rice on the floor and I sat and watched for 30 minutes while people (including staff) stepped over, walked around and through the rice. The Manager walked by 2 times and ignored it. I finally told him that they'd better clean it up before someone slips and they have a real issue. The drinks were OK, but watered down unless you asked to have extra liquor added and they did not feel "special" to me. They were made very quickly in abundance with others ordering the same drink.

I had a Jr. Suite which was a nice size room and a nice location (Building 62, Room 6215), but it was not cleaned well....especially the Jacuzzi tub. I would have liked to have used the tub, but opted not to because I really didn't feel it was clean. The credenza in my room that holds the TV and has 2 drawers and 2 shelves underneath the TV was broken and the doors were torn off. The AC in my room would not go below 21.5 and without the help of the two ceiling fans, it would not have been cool enough to relax and sleep in that room. Also, the bed and pillows are very hard - my family was complaining about them also. I have been on 5 cruises and I definitely enjoy cruise drinks and food to this All Inclusive Resort.

I would definitely try another All Inclusive Resort in the Caribbean, but it would not be at the Iberostar.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of the IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya team, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your recent holidays.

We are sorry that you were not happy with our gastronomy; our Executive Chef works everyday on offering a great variety of delicious food; our Food & Beverages Manager will also receive your review about the incident you mentioned in the buffet to take actions because this is not our standard; please receive an apology about this.

We feel sad to read that you felt disappointed with your accommodations and our facilities. We will keep working hard to maintain our hotel in perfect condition.

We would also like to comment that our hotel tries to set an example in environmental friendliness and it is certified by Green Globe, which aims at saving energy, reducing waste and protecting our planet to show we care about future generations. This is the reason why we maintain the temperature of the air conditioner at 23 degrees and why the air conditioner automatically turns off when the balcony door is not shut properly. However, as our guests’ satisfaction comes first, we lower the temperature limit if our guests do not feel comfortable.

They can feel free to talk to the Concierge about their concern and we will be more than glad to adapt the temperature to your personal needs.

We are sorry that the circumstances mentioned affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel; we hope to have the opportunity to change your point of view in the future.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Polish first
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We loved every minute of our stay. Awesome service and food. Had plenty of events for the whole family to enjoy. We love the beach and this beach had it all! Could not really ask for anything else!! Well, maybe one thing... There were so many activities going on every day we really needed some kind of daily update on what was happening. I think an "APP" would have been the solution but that's just me!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear guest,

Let us begin by thanking you for having chosen us to spend your vacations.

We are very proud to hear that you enjoyed our delicious food, the wonderful service provided by our staff and also of our entertainment.

We are pleased that you highlighted the numerous activities offered by our staff every day and we would like to inform you that we have created a daily program that is located at our Front Desk and also in each building on the concierge desks.

We hope to welcome you back next year to our resort for another memorable experience.

Playa Paraiso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Loved staying at this resort, My family loved it, and we would recommend it to anyone interested in Mexico. There was a descent amount of entertainment although not as good as a cruse. Very friendly and helpful staff and a beautiful and well kept room.

Dear guest,

On behalf of the entire team of IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation with us and that you were able to take advantage of the activities and the other facilities offered in our resort.

We genuinely hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again in the near future and as such, we look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,
Apopka, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Paraiso maya entry fountains drained entire time.

Jacuzzis at pool closed entire time.

Tram not operational until last day

Steam room at gym closed entire time.
Hot tub at gym closed entire time.
Several pieces of equipment not operational at gym. Only two stationary bikes and one elipitacal machine.
A lot of "Star Friends" using gym. They should have their own.

Speakers at pool only one side (lindo) worked. No music on Maya side.

Chairs held by people all day without using them. Need to get chairs by 7am if you want sun.

Pool entertainment very weak and not much energy.
Pool service exceptional.
Pool cleanliness not great. Lot of dirty cups and debris in pool.
Pool buffett basically same options everyday.
Lazy river no rafts ever. Had to purchase at $13-20. Towards the end of the week they had some but they were from the people that checked out and left behind their purchased tubes. They just simply took a magic marker and wrote lazy river only on them.

Pool for the beach and the del mar was much more manicured, kept up and beautiful over the pool for the maya and the lindo. Little things like grandeur waterfalls, islands with bed's and sunning areas along with quiet areas and music throughout.

Maya had only 2 pool tables (at the Lindo) that were outdoors however the del mar has 4 in air conditioned room.
Mayas rooms and hallways very nice however landscaping and trails through the del mar & beach far surpassed the Maya.

Pay more for the maya but honestly only the rooms are different. Supposedly the food quality is better at the Maya then Lindo, beach or del Mar but did not taste the difference. No one checks bracelets at lazy river or wave pool so don't need to pay extra to stay at the maya for that!

The grounds and extras at the Parasio Beach and the Maya are definitly much better and less expensive then the Maya or Lindo.
Food quality was no different at any of the properties we ate at.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing to vacation at IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

We are sorry you were dissatisfied with some of our facilities. Our Maintenance Department works hard on a preventive program that takes place throughout the year to ensure we do not have this type of situations. However at times, some parts needed to fix certain things take a little bit longer than we would have wished for. This is not meant to serve as an excuse, it is only to reassure our guests that we are continuously on top of things and that the image we conveyed during your stay is clearly not what we want our customers to experience. We will continue working tirelessly to have everything in perfect working order for our valued guests.

We will analyze all of your observations about the other aspects of your stay to prevent these from happening again.

Concerning the differences among the 5 hotels of the complex, IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya is a more upscale property with certain advantages and extra amenities for our guests, such as the use of our restaurants and the others at Paraiso Beach, Mar and Lindo, the baby kitchen, elevators in buildings, free WIFI in rooms and lobby, more complete and spacious rooms, private swimming pool, access to spa wet area for adults only, plus other services. Our Security Department will also receive your impressions about the control of our amenities in our complex.

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic vacation with our 13 year old son, and 9 and 7 year old daughters!! Definitely recommend.

First impression: lobby is beautiful and has a lovely lemon verbena scent the immediately transports you from airport hassle-mode to full vacation-mode. Check in was easy and personal and they brought our bags up to our room for us.

Rooms: the rooms (we had family suite with adjoining rooms) were exceptionally large and clean with nice bathrooms and patios. The hotel changed out all the mattresses mid-week so any complaints about uncomfortable beds-which we agreed with at first-- should be disregarded. The hotel stocks the mini fridges with water, beer, and soft drinks daily; a nice touch. The room safe is large and holds multiple tablets, etc.

Property: the property is lush and lovely! I've never seen a more beautifully landscaped and unbelievably large (understatement) pool in my life! So many different pool areas to choose from including lazy river (very lazy but enjoyable), wave pool that waves every hour during the day, zero entry areas, a spot with spa jets, swim up bar, fountains, etc. plenty of chairs -although need to get out there early to claim a spot under a grass umbrella if you want to laze around in a chair all day. We did not want to do that so we found a less desirable spot each day to plant our floats and flip flops. We heeded other travelers' comments and brought cheap inflatable floats with us. Not entirely necessary -- there are property floats you can use at lazy river -- but still nice to have our own. The walk from pool area to beach takes you through mangroves which are really pretty and you can spot birds, iguanas, coatis and other wildlife. The beach is also amazing!! The water is beautiful. Again the chair situation is not ideal, but it didn't bother us. (Note-the chair situation is definitely not unique to this resort; it's true at other places we've vacationed and even at our local YMCA!) The rest of the property is also well manicured with lots of trees, water features, rock formations etc. tons of bathrooms scattered throughout, lots of garbage and recycling areas, and even places to place your drink glasses as you stroll along and finish your latest drink.

Activities: there are activities for all types. Pool games, beach games, dance lessons, tennis, sailing, ping pong, billiards, to name a few. Some activities, such as sailing and tennis, you have to reserve a time but we didn't have trouble doing so. Some extras ($$) include hair braiding, henna tattoos, and pottery painting on the beach (all in sheltered areas). One note re pottery--we were so proud of the bowl we painted as a family. They say they will touch up the lines and glaze it so you can actually use it for food. When we got the final product it was beautiful but boy did they touch it up!! Too much for our liking as it really didn't look like the bowl we painted other than the colors we chose. Oh well.

Entertainment: corny in some respects but fun all the same. Some real talent among the staff and entertainers and the costumes are really great. After dinner you head to the main theater in center of resort and continue drinking (and eating popcorn) and watching the pre-show activities (consisting of silly singing and dancing contests (my husband and I actually won one of the silly contests!)) before the main show starts at 9:30 each night. Very fun! The show is over by around 10:30. I think there was karaoke afterwards, but that's when we turned in with our girls. Our teenage son took advantage of the teen club most of the nights and the resort felt safe enough for us to let him enjoy some freedom and come home on his own after us. There's also both a teen and an adult disco, but we never made it there. I'm sure it was fun.

Food: very very good. We are foodies and while I wouldn't say the food is the best I've ever eaten... it was perfect as part of the whole vacation experience. Plenty of variety, including for kids. Lots of Mexican choices, but other types of food too. The buffets are really well stocked with a variety of fresh fish, fruits, veggies, cheese, meats, breads and other starches, and desserts. The two breakfast buffets included an omelette station, many fresh juices (watermelon and cantaloupe were my favorites) smoked salmon, fruits, pancakes, waffles, and tons of other choices. Lunch and dinner buffets -- including a great buffet on the beach -- were also very good. Never too crowded and the service for drinks and plate removal was great. The specialty restaurants are included as far as price but you do need to make reservations. We ate at steakhouse twice, the Japanese, Mediterranean, and Mexican restaurants once each. All were fantastic! Loved that the first course and dessert was at the buffet with main course ordered from menu and served. (The Japanese was different with all three courses ordered and served. We did hibachi style and it was delicious!!). We had no problems making reservations when we arrived through the concierge at our building. But we were very flexible and not too picky with times. If you like to eat at a set time each day, you may want to try and reserve before you get there. There's also ice cream all day until 6pm with typical flavors and also interesting favors including coconut and mango. Yum!!!

Drinks: included. Need I say more? Okay I will. My only complaint is the only beer was Dos Equis. Not my favorite (actually dislike it). So I was "forced" to drink mojitos, margaritas, bloody Marys, cosmos, wine, etc all week. So sad. LOL!

Excursions: we did an all-day excursion that involved zip lining, snorkeling both in a cave and in the ocean (sea turtles, coral reef, etc), and repelling through a company called Adventuras Mayas. Would recommend it highly. Our particular package was called Snorkel Extreme. We left at 7:45, lunch was delicious and was included, and we were back to the resort by 4:30.

Overall, five stars. would come here again but also look forward to trying another Iberostar!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of all our staff members, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort, IBEROSTAR Paraiso Maya.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our facilities, and that you felt satisfied with the warm and friendly services provided by our staff.
We work hard every day to offer our guests always the best, and thanks to comments like yours we know what we are doing right and what could be improved.

Regarding the choice of beer, we regret not having the beer of your liking. Nevertheless, let us mention that we provide a wide range of different kind of beers such as Superior, Heineken, Sol, Sol Zero, XX and Ambar, among others.

Once again, thank you very much for trusting us. We are confident that you will be soon with us again! We look forward to your return.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I posted this on the Beach site by mistake! We were at the Maya first week in July. This was our first visit to an Iberostar resort after going many years to the Barcelo Palace. We all had a blast – we were in Bldg 61 which was perfect – right outside the breakfast restaurant and pools. It was a long walk to the main lobby where the restaurants are but it is so picturesque walking through the different courtyards that you don’t mind. That being said – if you have trouble walking this is not the resort for you.
Check in was crowded – we came on a Saturday about 1:30. They gave us a map and told us to either go to the buffet by the pool or the buffet in the Lindo (the Maya buffet is not open for lunch) – we opted for the Lindo and wandered (and got lost) a few times! Room was ready when we got back – room 6171 facing the pool on the third floor. Beautiful room – more than big enough for the three of us (DH, DD-15.) Much more spacious than Barcelo. Bathrooms were wonderful – shower pressure was the best I have seen in the Caribbean. Our bed was so comfortable – they had a topper on it and it was wonderful – the pillows were great as well. A/C worked the best – in fact the best of any of our trips. My daughter had a pull out queen size sofa bed which she said was comfortable. It was in a room a step down from the main room. Even with the bed pulled out we still had plenty of space. One thing I noticed was the lack of moisture in the room – no musty smell at all. We do bring Damp Rid and that also helps but we really didn't need it here.
Pools were great – we enjoyed the “quieter” pool on the other side of the bridge away from the swim up bar near the wave pool. The wave pool was fun as was the lazy river (which is very, very lazy!) Pools were clean. Servers came around often to take drink orders and every day they brought out fruit cups for the guests! Towel games are in full force – by 7:30 it was hard to find 3 loungers in the shade together. That being said there was plenty of palapas for shade – Barcelo has almost no shade by the pool. Bring floats to fill up by the pool.
Beach was fun – we enjoyed the waves which are not too bad – fun to jump around in. We wore water shoes – our preference – but you really don’t need them. Lots of palapas but these are taken very, very, very early. I swear some people sleep on the beach to get a palapa. We spent most of our lounging tie at the pool – so we were always able to find some loungers to throw our stuff on at the beach. Beach bar was convenient – we didn’t eat at the beach food area but a lot of people did. The walkway from the pool to the beach was so relaxing and very short. Fun to see the animals and birds.
The only area that I was not completely thrilled with was the food – although my husband and daughter loved it! I always found something to eat but there was not as much made to order as there was at the Barcel and the specialty restaurants left a lot to be desire – we ended up canceling our reservations after eating at the Seafood (nothing special – appetizers and dessert from the buffet) Steakhouse (my daughter couldn't cut her tenderloin (also the main buffet for appetizer and dessert) French (nothing special) and Japanese (fun to watch – chicken was wonderful but shrimp were awful. At the Barcelo I always tipped but at this place it was hard to tip because you didn't know who your server was! There seemed to be too few servers in the buffet for the amount of people – even in the specialty restaurants there was no service that made you feel special.
My daughter is severely allergic to peanuts and the concierge printed out a letter for us to show to the restaurants – it worked perfectly and we had no issues.
All in all, we would not hesitate to go back – we enjoyed the beautiful setting and thought there was enough to keep us from being bored with the whole eat, sleep, pool and beach thing! You will not regret going here!

Room Tip: “Bldg 61 third floor facing the pool was perfect -- gives you something interesting to look at and i...