“Just OK, wouldn't rush back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Fort Belvoir, Virginia
“Just OK, wouldn't rush back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I just returned from a trip with my husband to the Maya for a destination wedding. There were things we liked and things we definitely did not care for about this particular resort.

We spent our honeymoon less than a year ago at another resort in the area and were much more impressed with that location than with this one!!

The Good:
-Our friends' wedding was beautiful and we had a wonderful time with all of the other guests.
-The staff were always very friendly - in particular Dulce at the Snake Bar, Yesina at the wave pool, and Enrique and his kiwi mojitos at Las Olas were fantastic!
-The resort was well maintained and I was constantly seeing people cleaning, sweeping pathways, etc.
-Our room was very clean.
-We did see one of the shows at the theater and I was impressed with the energy of the Star Friends and the costumes were beautiful for the Mexican Folklore show.

The just OK:
-The specialty restaurants were much better than the buffets. We ate at the Japanese Steakhouse, La Marina, and El Rancho. The food was just so-so. Should have been better than it was but the restaurants themselves were beautiful and the service was good. We also noted that restaurants were only 15-20% full. One night we tried to add another couple to our reservation and the hostess scolded us for not adding them through our concierge but when we entered La Marina there were entire rooms with no one seated at the tables. Adding 2 more people to our table didn't seem like it should have been as big of a production as she made it out to be as she kept reminding us that we only had a reservation for 4.
-Beach/Pool chairs were not very comfortable. While we were always able to get a chair, I noticed several people stacking 2-3 cushions in an attempt to make the chairs more comfortable.

The not so great:
-As someone who likes red wine, the offerings here were not great. I can drink any type of wine...cheap, expensive, bottled, or boxed but I couldn't take this stuff they were serving. If you're a wine drinker, you'd better have another go to drink for this vacation...
-The buffets were not good at all. I figured out after day one that I needed to pick things that were the least likely to be screwed up. It's saying something that the best things I ate at the buffet were chicken nuggets, hot dogs, and fries. Things just didn't seem to taste right and we'd take a bite or two of something and abandon it completely.
-Some of the bathrooms in the public areas smelled awful....like sewage plant awful. They were clean but there was a definite odor problem.
-We stayed in a king room in building 63. The bed was TERRIBLE. It was like sleeping on concrete. My husband and I sleep in a firm bed at home but this was a whole new level. I woke frequently in the night because of the bed and was sore most mornings. Not exactly a restful experience one hopes for on vacation. On our last day at the resort I told my husband even if someone paid for us to stay another week, I wouldn't take it because I couldn't sleep another night in that awful bed.
-The room we stayed it was quite humid. Swimsuits didn't dry out for days and everything felt damp. I heard another couple comment that they had to switch rooms because of the overwhelming mildew smell in their room. Given how damp/humid the room we stayed in was, I can believe it!

Overall we had a great time at the wedding we attended and were glad to get to spend time with friends and to get a break from the cold weather back home. However, given that I've had better experiences at other all inclusive resorts in the area I would not recommend this location.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Customer,

Let us begin by extending our sincere appreciations to you for choosing our resort to spend your vacation and for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community, your honest opinion of your stay with us.

We sincerely regret that the circumstances mentioned that have affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel. You may however rest assured that we will most definitely be forwarding your remarks to all of the respective department managers in order for all the correct measures to be taken where necessary and to avoid any shared opinions by others.

Regarding your comments about our hostess, we apologize about that. We always do our best in order help to our guests but the capacity of restaurants is calculated in order to offer the best service to our clients. This will be reviewed with the concerned parties.

We are sorry to hear about your discomfort with our beds; we keep a standard in all our beds when it comes to their firmness, and we have mattress tops upon availability that help those that find them too firm. But we will pass your feedback on to our Housekeeping Manager to take into account when mattresses are replaced.

We hope you give us another opportunity in the future to change your point of view regarding the above mentioned services.

Best regards,
Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Went back as it's a great family resort with everything one could want. It's big so quite a lot of walking but that's good as the food is very good. The buffet gets a bit boring after a while so a week is enough.
The French restaurant is a bit weird inside and the food is nothing special and gas small portions.
Lovely beach but watch as some rocks as you enter the sea. Parts are ok so choose where you enter the sea carefully. The waves can be strong at times. The water is warm. The pools are big and we enjoyed the lazy river. Not great on hotel entertainment but what I've seen in the passing looked ok. The staff work really hard and are all very nice. Rooms are spacious and very clean.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear customer,

On behalf of the Iberostar Paraiso Maya staff and managers, we would like to thank you for choosing our resort for your vacation.

Thank you for this feedback, we really appreciate your recognition to our service and we are very happy to hear you enjoyed our beautiful pools and service; your comments on the food and entertainment will be taken in consideration.

Thank you for your feedback. It will for sure help us to improve our service.

Once more thank you for choosing us and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

murphy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

At the Maya now leaving Monday. Excellent food no problems getting into specialty restaurants with our group of six. Very nice golf course and driving range. Personel at the hotel and course are very friendly. Internet is free at the Maya is included and works well. I was able to watch Fox news from the beach on dish on demand. The highlight of our day would be the segway tour with Cesar. The tour takes you through the resort and golf course. Cesar and the crew were a lot of fun. Three more days and we will leave for cold Missouri with hopes of returning next year.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear client,

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback like yours, and on behalf of the entire team here at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation.

Your kind comments are very much appreciated. They will be forwarded to the managers of the staff that you mentioned in your review so that they know of your impression and experience of your stay with us.

Thank you again for your review, we hope to serve you the next year in the beautiful Riviera Maya.

Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

The people that complain about this hotel probably don't even like their own house. This is a beautiful resort and the attention to detail in the design is just amazing. There is something to do for everyone. I've been to this area 3 times before and this one is the nicest. The food was good ( not as good as the riu palace for example but good enough for my picky expectations) plenty of choices and I found that the dinner buffet was actually better at the Lindo than the Maya. I give the food a 7.5 out of 10. Some restaurant were much better than others. Did not like the Maya buffet dinner at all but everything else was good. The service was very good (the riu palace was a bit better also) but the staff worked very hard to make sure that we had everything we wanted. If the hotel hired a few more people to service the restaurants it would be perfect. The beauty of the resort makes up for everything. Overall I give it 8.5 to 9 out of 10. Yes it's expensive but it requires a lot of up keep and now I know why. Beach is beautiful too. I would only see room for improvement on the Maya dinner buffet and the Mexican a la carte restaurant. Also it would be nice to get a schedule of everything that they have going on at check-in. (We missed or were late to some really nice activities, live concert by the pool or the good BBQ at the beach because we just didn't know about them. I will be back with my whole family it was worth it. Right at the top with all the big hotels in the area. If your not happy here the you should start looking at 2500-3000 per person price range. No one got sick! First time in a while. First time with iberostar and I'm impressed. Enjoy if your going!!

Stayed January 2014
First of all, thank you so much for choosing Iberostar. Our main goal is to offer the best vacational experiences to our guests, and reading this kind of reviews make us feel extremely happy.

We have taken note of your recommendations and we will pass it on to our general manager in order to take into account.

We are already looking forward to your return trip next year. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance!

Kind regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This will be our 4th trip to an Iberostar resort. I have been to the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall twice and the Iberostar Rose Hall Suites once. This time we brought our kids who are 1.5 and 7 years old. We were at the resort from January 14th - 21st. We did receive a fruit platter, small bottle of tequila and a couple of t-shirts for being returned guest to the Iberostar chain.
The things I look for in a resorts are being clean, being safe, have good food and friendly staff. I don't demand and expect things but I'm not shy to ask for things either.
This was our first trip to Mexico so we were nervous.
We did email around 10 days before we arrived with dinner reservations and room request. Dinner reservations were made but not all our room request were met. We did get the building we wanted and it to be on the third floor. We also asked for a king bed, mattress topper, facing the pool and a toddler's bed which we did not get. We ended up with a room with two double beds.
I read a lot of reviews before we picked this resort and had high expectations.
We used Canada Transfer and they were good. It cost $90US return for 6 people. Our friends stayed at the Lindo and they dropped them off first then dropped us off and picked us up at our different resort as well.

Room: We stayed in building 62 and on the third floor. The room was similar to the Rose Hall suites except my main complaint was the beds were too hard. In fact, every morning when I woke up my body hurt where ever I was lying. It felt like a bruise. We had requested the mattress topper three times including sending an email before we got there but nothing happened which was unfortunate. This is one of the main reasons why I probably won't be going back to this resort unless they replace the mattresses. I think being at a resort all week and being able to have a good night sleep every night is important. Don't you? I really think the management should invest in better mattresses. The room was always cleaned by the time we got to our room. We never met our cleaning lady though. There are ants around if you leave food or drinks out but I don't think there's anything you can do about it. So we try to never have anything out. We tipped the bar fridge person every day and requested water bottles which we did get every day. I'm not sure if we really needed to tip but.... We never had turned down service because we don't really need it and so we would put the do not disturb sign out.

Pool/water activities: The pool was huge and beautiful but I did miss not being able to see the ocean from the pool. The water was cooler then the ocean but not a big deal. My kids played in the wave pool only a couple of times but had fun. The waves from the ocean got to rough for my kids so this was a good option. We also tried the lazy river and it was truly lazy and freezing. My kids never ended up going to the kids pirate ship because it was so far away and the pool was good enough. My daughter said it was the same as the suites so she didn't feel like she was missing out. We did go over the the pool at the beach/del mar side one afternoon and they also have a very nice pool. Half the pool area had really comfortable loungers and some beds.

Beach: The beach was beautiful and the sand was soft. We were at the beach every morning before 8 so we were able to get decent chairs. We stayed in the area by the grand more because it was quieter. Even though we were at the beach by 8 every day we weren't able to get chairs in the front row because people would have it saved. So finally on our last day my husband went out early to get chairs so we could be right by the ocean and watch our kids play. My friend and I walked down the beach passed the grand a little. You can walk pretty far if you chose to. The waves were crazy the last couple of days but lots of people loved it. I was amazed how many people still went out.

Restaurants: The only exclusive Maya restaurant we ate at was the seafood one, La Marina. It was really good. We order the BBQ fish and seafood platter for two. We loved the lobster so much that we asked for another platter of lobster again. The appetizer buffet too had a lot of seafood as well. We found out leaving the restaurant that you could just go there and have the buffet without reservations. They just seat you at another section instead.
We also ate at the Lindo's steakhouse, Mexican (twice), mediterranean restaurants and the Japanese restaurant at the Beach resort. The Japanese restaurant was the worst one for us and the other ones were good. The steakhouse and Mexican restaurants had lobster there as well which I had. I'm a huge seafood lover. We had the buffet at La Pagoda for lunch and supper. It was pretty good with lots of options. We usually had our breakfast at La Marina every morning since sit opened every day at 6:00 am. Our 1.5 year old though getting up at 5:00 am every morning was a good idea.

Staff: The staff were always nice and helpful. We had no issues. I did notice that they are not as loud and crazy as the staff in Jamaica which is nice. I felt that they weren't in our face. The servers were all good. We did notice a lot of people did not tip at all but we did. Probably too much. Oh well... they work so hard.
Concierge: Brenda was the lady that helped us with our dinner reservations and changes. It was nice having her in the building and she was always nice and polite. but it's probably out of her control.

Overall it was a great vacation at a beautiful resort but it was too big for us. This confirmed to us that we like resorts with 200 - 300 rooms. We missed being able to see the ocean from the pool and our rooms. It was a pain to go back to our room for anything. So if we forgot it we just did without it.
It took us around 5 minutes to walk to the ocean or lobby from our room. I'm not sure how someone could take 15 minutes. We're slow walkers also. We had free wifi in our room but only had a signal at a specific spot. I know I keep bringing up the mattress but I was really surprised on how bad it was and for the money we paid I would expect better. We do want to go the Iberostar Grand Paraiso though. The reviews for that resort are really good.

We did go on one excursion and it was to the Xel-ha. It was great to but I don't recommend bringing any kids younger then 4.

I rely on reviews on this site to decide on trips and I hope my review will be able to help others.
Have fun if you go there. It is truly a nice resort just not for us.

Dear client,

Thank you very much for your invaluable comments about our resort. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel.

We regret to hear your discomfort with our beds; we keep a standard in all our beds when it comes to their firmness and usually the bed toppers help those guests who find them too firm; we are sorry that there were not enough when you stayed with us and had to do without one. We will certainly pass your feedback on to our Housekeeping Manager to take in consideration when renewing mattresses.

We are sorry you were disappointed with your room view; our hotel has been done according to our regional area (tropical jungle style); one suggestion would be try at Iberostar Grand Paraiso; one more reason to want to stay there :-)

We genuinely hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again in the near future and as such, look forward to your next visit.

Red Deer, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya for a week in January 2014. We had two kids with us, ages 11 & 9. We absolutely loved this resort. This is the first resort that we've stayed at that my husband has vocally endorsed it enough to return on another vacation! The only drawbacks that we found were that there wasn't enough servers around the pool. The ones that were there were great, but they had a ton of people to serve, and so the service was slow. The second is that the food is very good, but there's not a whole lot of variety. The Iberostar is a gigantic chain of resorts, and I would think that they could come up with a more pleasing buffet than the ones that were offered. Like I said, the food tasted fine... just not a different mix to choose from at each meal. The rooms were fantastic. We were in building 60, and it was perfect. Great rooms. Loved the sitting area. Don't expect an ocean view from your room balcony though. That didn't bother us at all because we didn't go to Mexico to sit on our balcony... we came for the sun, sand, and surf! I would recommend this hotel for sure, but don't go expecting the serve staff to wait on you hand and foot. It's just a normal level of service. Highly recommend the Japanese and Steakhouse a la carte choices. Well worth it. "Tom Cruise" (Felipe) at the Steakhouse was phenomenal. His service to our table was second to none!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,

We are grateful to know that you were satisfied with our services and amenities offered, and that you had a great experience with us.

We are very happy that you enjoyed our japanese and steakhouse restaurants; likewise we will congratulate Mr. Felipe. We take your comments on the lack of servers into consideration and will review them with our Food & Beverage Manager.

Once again we thank you for giving us your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Kind regards,
angiebd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I spent 5 nights/6 days here with my husband, daughter and a friend. This is an excellent resort and the staff was very accommodating providing menus, instructions, conversation in both English and Spanish.

Immigration was a less than welcoming experience. Toilets overflowed in the restrooms and the officers were rude. After standing in line for almost an hour and gathering our bags, folks surrounded us from all angles. Taxi drivers, time share folks. This was a bit uncomfortable and we were thrilled to find the Apple Vacations sign who quickly pulled us aside and took care of our transportation tot he resort.

The resorts are beautiful and the staff did so very much to make our stay wonderful. The rooms were large, clean and we enjoyed the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. A refrigerator was stocked daily with water, sodas, juice and beer. The wifi was strong and we appreciated the desk and comfortable seating area for early morning and late-night checking of e-mails. The only thing missing from the room experience was wine. My husband and I love a glass of wine after the kids are in bed. In an all-inclusive resort, we could walk to a bar and take glasses back to our room but to order them was about $26 per bottle extra.

The restaurants were varied and the food good. Our favorite restaurants were La Marina and El Rancho Steakhouse. We enjoyed lobster, steaks, sushi, fresh fruit and salad bars, and e excellent chocolates. The teenagers also enjoyed the room service with chicken nuggets and fries brought to the room after the nightly entertainment.

The pools were excellent though a little cool during our visit. We loved the beach and the Star Friends activity staff. They worked very hard to mingle with the guests, provide fun activities, and remind us about upcoming shows and activities we might enjoy.

The entertainment was good. We loved the pre-show that involved guests and the magic show featuring Sebastian was awesome!

Though no one asked for a tip, it was obvious that the workers there expected them. After being spoiled by the Beaches Resorts, I would prefer not to have to carry around cash the "special" service.

The massage on the beach with Dora was very affordable and an incredible experience.

Our pre-teens enjoyed the hotel and the daily activities. Our only complaint was that the paint your own ceramics (which is something our girls really wanted as a souvenir to take home) set up two days in a row but still wasn't "open". They kept saying, "come back tomorrow" but eventually we ran out of "tomorrow's" and it was time to return home.

We met great new friends at the resort as the atmosphere encouraged interaction. There was music, karaoke, shows, lots of fun to be had. The teen disco seemed like a great idea but every time we took the girls there, it was not open yet. I know those are difficult to manage at resorts but either have it or not. Having the door open but no music or inviting atmosphere doesn't encourage that. One night there were four of our kids gathering and they waited 45 minutes before giving up and returning to the family show.

Overall, I rank this resort as a great family value with an awesome staff, comfortable accommodations, and welcoming atmosphere. The carousel in the lobby was beautiful as well as the area artwork, sculptures, architectural design that fit well with the area.. Thanks to the experienced guidance from our travel agent Ruth DeMuth of TripGuy Travel, LLC (I HIGHLY recommend her to suggest where to go, what to do at https://www.facebook.com/ruth.demuth ), it was an awesome trip. We would return there again!

Angie Brady-Daniles
Manteo, NC

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback on our services. We are pleased to read that you had a special holiday.

It was a pleasure to have been given the chance to serve you. It was encouraging to read that our service, facilities, our beautiful beach and various staff members had served to make your trip even more memorable.

Our main goal is to offer the best vacation experiences to our guests, thank you very much for the positive points you mentioned.

Thank you very much for trusting us. We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!