“Great Resort For People Who Don't Like Food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Resort For People Who Don't Like Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Let's get the food out of the way: It was terrible. Consistently, no matter where we dined, we could expect food that ranged from mediocre to inedible. The buffets were never fresh or cooked well, and leaned a little too heavy on the American-taste. We came to Mexico for Mexican food, not poorly-done American food. Like other reviewers, we found better breakfast at the buffet near the lobby. The other place near the pool was inedible.
The specialty restaurants were a disaster. We were constantly told that they were "booked" and we would have to wait until late to eat. Besides for the Japanese place, every single restaurant was pretty empty. I simply don't know where people ate, I suppose they all left the resort.
The steak place had some promise, but my tenderloin had the consistency of eggs (it was bizarre), and was covered in some sort of artificial smokey flavoring.
The French place was by far the worst--nothing was hot, even though there were only 2(!) other tables occupied. My lamb was more bone than lamb. The fish smelled so foul that it almost made one of my family members vomit.
The seafood place's best dish was their Brazilian-style beef....it wasn't half bad.
The Japanese place was very slow....too much time playing with the food and not cooking it. In fact, our chef ran out of beef and had to go run and get some more while 4 of us sat with empty plates.
For Christmas Eve dinner, we were served a steak that was for all intents and purposes still living.

Other things about the resort:

Hotel/Design
Really weird. Almost like a Mayan Disneyland. Fairly tacky, although some nice materials were used sparingly. The other hotels had nicer common areas and designs. The layout of the hotel was claustrophobic and ugly. To walk toward the buildings near the beach, you had to walk through all the other buildings, connected by covered walkways. The amount of concrete surrounding you makes it feel like you're in a decaying city, not at a beach resort. Your other alternative is to walk on the road the golf carts use, which is ugly and not really meant for pedestrians. Walking between the Lindo and the Beach hotels was a pleasant experience, for once. The walkway was outdoors and not surrounded by concrete on all sides, and the buildings were spaced further apart it seemed. You can tell those buildings are older, but the architecture is less tacky.

Rooms
Not too many complaints here. They are nicely sized, but a little dark. Build quality is iffy...we had some small problems and annoyances here and there. The jacuzzi was corroded and ugly, the shower door wouldn't close, and the phones did not work well. The TV looked like a demo model but it did turn on.

I feel the other reviews covered other aspects of this property adequately (great service, etc). We did not have an enjoyable stay due to the simply atrocious food. The bad architecture/layout of the hotel simply compounded the experience.
I have stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana....now THAT is how you do a hotel. Fairly decent food, but excellent architecture, design, build quality, and layout. Simply beautiful. The Maya? Pretty darn ugly.

Room Tip: go to the Grand, or the Lindo if you must
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had a truly fabulous time staying at the Paraiso Maya in November for 2 weeks. It was the best of both worlds, somewhere to just chill out and relax and get away from it all but also well-located so that you could get the shuttle bus in to Playa del Carmen and the collectivus bus back (much cheaper than the hotel shuttle, more frequent and easy to get from it's station, we went to Tulum with toddler on the collectivus).

We thought as far as all- inclusives go the food was good, particularly the Japanese and the seafood restaurant (we used the Lindo buffet as some evenings we just couldn't be bothered walking far with a sleepy toddler). We also like the fact you could visit the restaurants in the other hotels and walked up to the shopping centre most days for our toddler to have an ice cream (note to parents: the pharmacy there sells diapers/ nappies and wipes) The peacocks and flamingos in the other hotels are lovely, so do venture across !

The hotel rooms were kept clean, the cleaners were very friendly and we came home each night to wonderful towel art. I celebrated my birthday while there and they had a beautiful cake shaped towel sculpture as well as a bottle of champagne.

We were in the block nearest the beach, and the trolley cars were unreliable so it did begin to feel like a bit of a trek each evening with the buggy to the restaurants especially if you had been out walking all day, so if you have the choice go for a block somewhere in the middle.

The swimming facilities were good & the beach was lovely. However, activity-wise we were disappointed there wasn't more for toddlers, we have been to quite a few all-inclusives and although under 2s can never be left they usually can play and draw and take part in the fun as long as a parent is there (which is really good when you are trying to keep fair-skinned toddlers entertained when the sun is too hot), we didn't find anywhere at the kids club to just sit and draw and things seemed to be more activity based for older kids. For this reason I have rated children's activity as an average but that is based on above average for the pools and beach and below average for toddler entertainment.

I'm not sure the whole having a concierge per building works as on the first night we asked a number of times for the pre-requested cot (that had been agreed prior to arrival) and it never came and we discovered later our concierge leaves early and probably just didn't bother to pass on the request. The TV also wasn't working the first night but my husband pulled the unit forward and spotted a loose connection and put it back himself, we didnt even ask for help as we were more focused on them getting a cot. Baby slept between us in the bed the first night and the next morning we went and complained at reception and the cot only then promptly arrived. Our concierge also managed to not book restaurants properly on the system, so we would think we had a booking when we didn't. However, we just started using the concierge in the next building and everything thing was from then was perfect, so apart from the first few nights it didn't cause us a problem.

We visited Tulum, Coba and Chichen Itza, of the three my favourite was Coba as it really had that 'adventurer' feeling because it is in the jungle. We also went to Xcaret (where Mummy swum with sharks!) and had a great day. We took the hotel shuttle late morning to xcaret and back which was much better with a toddler, as it would have been too long a day if taking the Xcaret bus that leaves very early in the morning. Our toddler's favourite was Crococun Zoo, a short taxi ride from the hotel. It is small but the kids get to feed lots of birds, monkeys & deer as well as stroke lizards and alligators- our little girl loved it!

On the whole we had a great experience, lots of swimming, relaxation, sun as well as adventures to ancient Mayan ruins and fabulous wildlife. A few improvement areas on delivering things to rooms without chasing and a better ride service to avoid all the long walks with a toddler but on the whole I'd still recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Unless you are a massive beach lover, get a room closer to the lobby as even if you don't mind w...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was our second stay here. We stayed at the connecting LIndo in 2006.
We always pick the large resorts so the teens have plenty of space to roam and not end up at a another complex.

Pros: nice beach
Ocean-- could be pro or con .. Big waves fun to jump, but not easy to swim.
Good walking both directions with no other crowded resort on either side
Large pools,
2 bars and 2 grills right on the beach!
Staff very good
fun swim up bar with 4pm games,
shopping center on property
Open air theatre for shows
A la carte restaurants at maya good for dinner
2 evening shows had good dancers (rock and show time)

Cons
Ocean very wavy.
Layout not too convenience for evening activities--- theater, disco not close to each other
Food-- breakfast and lunch OK, but have had better
Disco opens at 11pm. Wish it opened earlier. have to wait around too long after dinner.
Very hard bed

Room Tip: Building closest to beach Ours was 61 60 is closer but they were a different rooms type (larger...
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We had the most fabulous time. It was our first time to Mexico so we didn't know what to expect. We were greeted at the airport and toured the facility while we waited to check-in. The staff from the servers to the bartenders to the entertainers and room staff were so pleasant and accommodating. As we were there with our 3 year old grandson and our kids who are in their mid 20"s, there was something for everyone. The beach area was very clean and I thought well maintained by lifeguards. The food was excellent, the choices were out of this world. We had the best steak dinner, and at the Japanese restaurant, the cooks were so entertaining. We even went on an excursion to Tulum and Xen-Ha where we snorkeled with the fish. That was fun. Would I go back again? Most definitely!

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor closest to the beach and it was easy access for the beach and pool and...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear customer,

We would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback. We are really glad to know you are coming back to our resort and appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed our Japanese restaurant and our facilities in general; likewise your comments about the friendliness of our staff motivate us to provide an even better service to our customers.

We hope that when you return to Mexico, we will have the absolute pleasure of being your hosts again.

Kind regards,
Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was our third stay at the IPM - we stayed Dec 1 - 14. We were excited to go back and were expecting the same wonderful vacation as our first two visits had been. We were not disappointed. The hotel staff and service were outstanding - they made us feel like we were home. We were, although, a wee bit disappointed in the area of customer appreciation for repeat guests. On our second visit to the IPM we were greeted with a fruit basket, slippers and spa lotions and a lovely fresh flower arrangement. This being our 3rd time back (and always staying 2 weeks each time) we were left a small bottle of tequila. Not that we weren't appreciative of this, it's just that talking with other repeat guests I heard that they were given flower arrangements, t-shirts, travel mugs, beach bags, tequila etc. It would have been nice to have been made a wee bit more special but this certainly didn't dampen our fabulous time there. I also want to mention the Star Friends. They were fantastic! They work so very hard to make your vacation the best ever. I'm not sure if we will be going back anytime soon as our son is now a teen and there seemed to be so many more small children this year than in the past. We would definitely recommend this resort to anyone wanting a top notch vacation - especially families with small children :)

Room Tip: I love to be close to the beach so we always stay in building 60 - closest to the beach. We also fo...
Trail, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our third trip to Mexico and our favourite by far. The Iberostar offers something for everyone, where you can relax in solitude or be as busy and entertained as you want to be. Kids club offered our children the opportunity to be happily entertained and interacting while we had some down time by the pool. Food choices are plentiful, so anyone who could not find something they liked between the buffets, a la carte restaurants and snack bars is just to fussy! Love it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Let us begin by thanking you for choosing to vacation at our lovely resort and of course for taking the time to send us your comments about your experience.

We are very happy to know that you and your family had a memorable experience at our hotel and are pleased to know that you were amazed with our new facilities and services.

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to the Riviera Maya, you will not hesitate to visit us again, as we would consider it an absolute pleasure to serve you.

Best regards,
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have stayed in many all inclusive resorts, and this has by far been the worst experience. The extremely poor service in this hotel completely spoilt our family reunion that was planned for more than 9 months. I am posting this review on Christmas eve, so you can imagine that this must have been an aweful experience for us.

To be fair, the property is well maintained. However the lack of service and a complete disregard for its guests has forced me to give this property a 1 star. We had a family reunion planned for last 9 months and were excited to celebrate our Christmas together in this property. The hotel offered only buffet on Christmas eve and we were told by the concierge that our dinner buffet reservation was in Paraisio Lindo hotel. My dad has issues with mobility - so we double checked with concierge and re-confirmed that the reservation is in Lindo property because it is a good 10-15 minutes walk. Upon arrival at the buffet restaurant, and waiting in line for 15 minutes, we are told that the reservation is actually at the other property in Maya which is atleast 15 minutes walk. I informed the concierge that my dad is not able to walk to the other property due to his extremely limited mobility - I even suggested them to break our reservation into a smaller group - so that atleast my dad and some members of our family can eat in this property while others walk back to the other property. I was informed in a very rude manner that it can not be changed and it is not the hotels problem that my dad has mobility issues. I asked to speak to the manager, and someone by the name of Eduardo came after 10 minutes. By this time it is already 7:30 and the person simply states they can not accomodate us. My father has to go back to his room because the only option they have for him at this point is room service.I ask to speak to the General Manager (I was told his name is Pedro Moralez). To my surprise, even though he is in the property, I am told that he will accept an appointment only tomorrow afternoon. I request to speak to him on phone and am again told that he is not even available to talk on phone. So we finally ended up ordering room service on Christmas eve - despite several different requests to accomodate us. I would have expected some sort of civil treatment and empathy - especially because this was a clear error on their part - notwithstanding the fact it is Christmas eve, and my fathers condition. We are never coming back to this property and if you are expecting high standards of service, please think twice. Rude Staff, Worst service ever.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf the Management and all the staff of the Iberostar Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere apologies for any dissatisfaction occurred during your stay with us.

We are very sorry that you and your family left with a bad impression of our service; our guests and their wellbeing is our priority, so it is disappointing that we did not succeed with you and your family.

As our management mentioned on Christmas’ Eve, your reservation was made for the Buffet located in the Maya Lobby. The buffet offerings and space were perfect to spend a wonderful evening, and in order to assist you, transportation was offered to transfer your family to the Maya Lobby. Please note that all guests staying in Paraiso Maya had reservations for the Buffet located at the Maya Lobby and all guests staying in Paraiso Lindo had reservations for the Buffet Lindo.

Apart from the buffet, as we mentioned at the time, on Christmas’ Eve we also had our Gala Dinner at the Convention Center, however we fully understood that you preferred the buffet dinner, as it was closer.

Our managers on duty do try hard to please our guests, as they did in your case offering different options to finally find what you and your family would be happy with on such a special date. We are sorry that you felt this was insufficient, and we will keep working on offering excellent service and attention to our guests.

Please, accept again our apology from the Hotel Management and we hope to have the opportunity to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!