“A great resort with exceptional service!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
“A great resort with exceptional service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We found the hotel airport shuttle to be obscenely expensive and were able to get a cab from the airport for 2 for half the price. We stayed at the Maya and would recommend staying with this resort's food, vs. reserving dinner at the Lindo or the Mar. Our favorites were the Japanese restaurant and the Steakhouse. Don't miss the huge skillet of Paella
cooked on the beach over charcoal! The beach was beautiful and lounging was very comfortable. There were beach and pool activities everyday and the kid's programs looked great! The golf course was incredible and green fees with cart was very reasonable. We did a Segway tour and loved it! The service was exceptional in every way. Avoid timeshare presentations at the neighboring Mayan Palace at all costs. We took the Collectivo to Puerto Morelos for 2 dollars and took the hotel shuttle to Playa Del Carmen for 5 dollars. I would recommend this property without hesitation!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear client,

We would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback. We are really glad to know you are coming back to our resort and appreciate your sharing your opinion with other travelers.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the facilities and services that the resort has to offer, as well as our gastronomy (steakhouse restaurant and paella on the beach)

Thank you for your excellent review and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel!

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Polish first
Elk Grove
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband, 2 year old daughter, and I just got back from a week long vacation at Iberostar Maya and had a pretty good time. However, we probably will not visit this resort again. Partially because I like to visit different resorts every time we go (3rd visit to Riviera Maya and 5th all-inclusive experience) and partially because the food was overall pretty poor. I read lots of reviews before I went and saw that the major complaint was the food. I thought that people must have been exaggerating or expecting too much (the all-inclusives I have been to have had pretty decent food), I was wrong. The food wasn't good and it was such a bummer, because the rest of the stay was great!
We have stayed at the Barcelo properties in Puerto Adventuras and overall that resort and food was better than this Iberostar property and if you don't mind the additional 30 minutes of driving time to go a little further south I would recommend that resort over this one.
However, I'm going to write this review with tips on how to make your stay at this resort better if you choose to go there.

Food:
Definitely the worst part of our trip. The resort has all the normal foods you'd expect, but none of them taste very good. The food just seemed bland, not cooked well (either too much or too little), or just boring. It's hard to describe as there were a few things that were decent, but for the most part I just got bored of eating the food after day 2 and I eat the same thing everyday when I'm at home! There has been only one other all-inclusive that I've been to (InterContinental in Los Cabos, which is now Holiday Inn) where the food was worse and that includes 4 cruises I've been on too. If you choose to stay at this resort, just know you're not getting high quality food and you will eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch each day. Having said that I'll tell you more about each of the food options.
Breakfast is either at El Tapatio (near bldg 60), La Marina (in the lobby), or La Laguna (Lindo Lobby), or even El Fogon (Lindo near bldg 60). We ate at El Tapatio the first morning and it wasn't good. I strongly suggest even if you're far from the lobby that you take the time to walk to either the Maya or Lindo lobbies to eat there as those breakfast buffets have more options and the food is cooked better. Also, the service at the lobby restaurants is much better. We had a very rude waiter one morning at El Tapatio, but other than that all other waiters and food service people were amazing with great helpful attitudes!
The biggest difference we saw in the Lindo vs Maya restaurants was just Maya had waffles and more fruit options, other than that Lindo had paper napkins and Maya had cloth. Not much difference. We started trying the Lindo options towards the end of our stay and we wish we would have tried them earlier!
Lunch options are similar to breakfast, you can eat at El Tapatio, on the beach (weather permitting), or one of the Lindo restaurants in the lobby. And I would again recommend you walk to the lobby and eat there, unless you're on the beach and are OK with hamburgers (pretty good) and hot dogs (not good).
As for dinner, my husband and I liked the seafood restaurant the best. My husband got the lasagna and I got the shrimp. I also tried the lobster, but it was a little over cooked. The steakhouse was good too, we both got the ribeye and were happy with it. The steakhouse and the seafood restaurants share a buffet area that you can use for appetizers, kids food, and desserts, but really you could eat your whole dinner there if you choose. The food is pretty good at that dinner buffet, but again you're getting the same thing each time you go, but there are lots of options. Also, don't expect great desserts, but there is always ice cream!
We were scheduled to try the Japanese restaurant one night, but there's 12 people that sit around a grill and the last people that came into our group were very drunk and inappropriate, so we left.
We also ate at the Mexican restaurant, El Tapatio, which we were very excited about, but it didn't live up to our expectations. We both got versions of street tacos (their recommended food) and they were just OK; we were disappointed. We had planned to eat at the rodizio in Lindo, but our reservation apparently didn't go through and they called us the day before to tell us we didn't have a reservation! Another disappointment!
Lastly, we tried the room service the first night we got there because we got in so late and it was TERRIBLE! They only offer about 10 items and they are the same things you get at the dinner buffet area except colder. We never ordered room service again!
You have to make all dinner reservations through your building concierge and building 60's person was definitely there on limited hours. But we found her on our first day there and booked our restaurants for the rest of our stay and she told us we were definitely booked for the Lindo rodizio too, so we're not sure what happened with that one. Other than that mix up (which did bum us out), using the concierge to book the dinners was fine. You can also exchange your pool towels with your concierge, which we found to be easier and closer than going to the towel place near the pool.

Room:
One of the reasons we chose to stay at the Maya was for the Junior Suites and we were happy with that decision. The room was large and it had a separate living space (not a separate room) with a couch, small table, and desk with a chair. It made our stay a little easier with a toddler and her naps. The bathroom was large with a shower, toilet, double vanity, and a large jetted tub that fit all three of us! The bed was probably the worst part of the room, it was very hard. My husband likes hard beds so he was fine, but it did bother me and I had trouble sleeping. The crib they brought for our daughter was good, the mattress seemed comfy and they provided sheets and a pillow, but I recommend bringing a thicker blanket if you're traveling with a a little one.
Just know there are only a few outlets spread out throughout the room and you can only plug in one thing to each outlet. There is a small fridge with water, soda, and beer that is restocked every other day. There is cable with a limited number of English speaking channels and a DVD player, so I recommend bringing a few DVDs.
We had requested a corner room, which we got, but it did not have a wrap around balcony, so if you want a larger balcony you have to specifically request that, not just a corner room. We had also requested the top floor, but we got the second floor. It was fine, but you can hear the people above you moving chairs, which can be annoying if you're trying to sleep.
The cleaning service was great and we requested that they come before 2pm everyday because of our daughter's naps and again our request was granted. Overall, if you are looking for space, this hotel will give you that.

Wi-fi:
There is decent wi-fi in the lobbies of all 4 hotels and at the pools. We were near the pool in building 60, but did not get wi-fi in our room. Someone came to our room on the last day saying they were going to fix our wi-fi, but we were leaving so we never found out if we should have been getting it the whole time. I would just count on not having wi-fi in your room.

Resort Layout:
I had read reviews prior to going on vacation and we emailed ahead of time to request building 60, which is the closest to the beach and we were granted our request. It was a nice location if you think you will visit the beach often. It is also right next to the El Fogon (Lindo) and El Tapatio (Maya) restaurants. You have your own private pool for only people in that building too. This pool is small, but quiet and very often empty. 60 is farthest from the lobby and it took us 7-10 minutes to walk to the lobby from our room. Building 61 and 62 are near the main pool and parts of 61 are near the same restaurants, but I don't think there's any reason to stay in either of these buildings. 63 and 64 are right in the middle and therefore central to almost anything, which I think would have been nice. They had a private pool too, which looked a little larger than the one at building 60. Some of the rooms of 63 & 64 looked to have views of the pool, I believe most other views in the resort were of foliage. Buildings 65 & 66 were closest to the lobby and most of the restaurants, which would be nice too. They are also closest to the kids water park and play area, which might be helpful if you have little ones. Some of the rooms in 66 have views of the water park. All buildings looked well taken care of and had nice landscaped areas. Which building you would want to stay in would all depend on what you would want to be closest to. I recommend you find a map of the resort online and check it out before going and email the resort before you go with your request.

Service:
The service is actually really good! All of the staff (minus one) were very friendly, helpful, and responsive. Most of the staff was very friendly to our daughter too, except for a few women working in one of the gift shops, they followed us around thinking she would break something. We found the servers to be quicker and better at the Lindo restaurants we went to, but overall everyone was very nice!

Other areas:
This resort has a lot to offer, especially if you have kids. We loved the wave pool, kids water park, lazy river (there is no current) and all of the pools (even the Beach/Del Mar pool was very nice). There is a place to get ice cream during the day right outside El Tapatio above the main pool, I recommend you check it out as their ice cream was very yummy!
The beach was very nice too. There were plenty of chairs and large umbrellas and we never had a problem finding a spot on the beach to sit. The water was very choppy when we were there, so it wasn't as clear and blue as we've seen before, but it was still nice. We don't drink a lot, but it was nice to enjoy a (watered-down) cocktail while sitting out watching the ocean! I would also say watch out for the Coatis! They are a Mexican version of a raccoon and if you have food that they want, they will take it! So, I recommend leaving food back in your room instead of bringing it to the beach, and really, don't feed them!
I used the gym twice when we were there and it was definitely big enough. One of the times I was the only person in there and the other time all 6 treadmills were taken. They had 6 treadmills, 2+ ellipticals, a few stationary bikes, free weights, a handful of weight machines, and a space for aerobics. They had their own towels there, but no water bottles, just water from a water cooler. They had bathrooms, a jacuzzi, and I steam room (I think). Outside of the gym they had tennis courts as well and it looked like you could rent bikes. I jogged for a little bit one day and there was lots of space to run.
Out near the gym there is a mini-mall with a number of shops that sell shirts, souvenirs, jewelry, cigars, alcohol, clothes, etc; it was a nice place to just go walk around. They had an ice cream/crepe place that was great, a taco place that was not, and a hamburger spot that was never open. They also had a merry-go-round that was never working when we were there. There wasn't much difference in price from the stores in the mini-mall versus the resort gift shops, so if you see something you like just buy it. What we did see was that one gift shop would have a deal on certain items and a gift shop at one of the other hotels would not, we thought that was a little silly. The gift shops seemed to be reasonably priced for most souvenirs, but WAY overpriced for things you can bring from home, so make sure you don't forget anything!! But the all of the stores on property were a WHOLE LOT cheaper than the airport, so don't wait to buy stuff at the airport, you will regret it!

We didn't stay at the Lindo hotel, but I walked through that part of the resort a number of times, as well as ate at a few of their restaurants and I would say if you want to save a few dollars and don't need the extra space in your room, I would consider staying at the Lindo. I think you basically get all of the same amenities and the restaurants are sometimes better than the Maya ones. I could see that their balcony furniture was a little less nice than the furniture at the Maya, but other than that I didn't see much difference from the outside, as the Lindo outdoor spaces were just as nice as the Maya ones.
I also walked around the Beach and Del Mar hotel areas and went to the pool over there and again they were perfectly nice hotels. I didn't eat at any of those restaurants, so I can't speak to that, but if you want to save some money and don't care about the wave pool, kiddie water park, lazy river, and larger rooms you could stay at one of those hotels and I'm sure you'd have just as good of a time. The Beach/Del Mar pool was just as nice as the Lindo/Maya pool. And yes it had a swim-up bar too!
And as for the adults-only hotel on the property, it looked NICE! From what I could see the balconies had better furniture, the beach was a tad nicer, the chairs and such at their beach were a whole lot nicer, it was more spread out, and there were rooms that faced the ocean (no ocean facing rooms at Maya). If they had better food, I'd consider staying at that property if I didn't have a child!

I find it pretty sad that the food was so bad because looking back at our trip, we really did have a great time and there are so many positives to this resort, but since you have to eat multiple times a day bad food starts to outweigh the other positive aspects!! Overall, if you think you can overlook the terrible food, then this resort is great: nice outdoor spaces, great pools, lots to do, nice beach, great service, family-friendly! If you are really looking forward to great food, then go elsewhere, because you will definitely be disappointed!

Room Tip: Which room you want completely depends on where you want to be located on the property, so check out...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Let us begin by extending a special word of thanks for the opportunity you have given us by choosing to vacation at Iberostar Paraiso Maya. We are also very thankful for the time you have taken to share how your holidays went at our hotel.

We extend our sincerest apologies if you were disappointed with certain aspects of our resort. Please rest assured however that all your observations have been noted and will be passed along to the respective department managers to take actions.

Concerning our culinary offer, we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants, by creating a menu that varies every day, as well as having a different international themes (Italian, oriental, Caribbean, and many others) every night. We will send him your review for his consideration.

We regret to hear you found the beds to be too firm; we would also like to mention that all the mattresses in our rooms comply with a standard; nevertheless we also have toppers to soften and make the bed more comfortable.

We hope you give us another opportunity in the future to change your point of view regarding the above mentioned services.

Best regards,
Morristown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I just returned yesterday and I was completely disappointed in the level of service. Last year we stayed at the Paradisus (5 star) and I thought a place with some nightlife may be better. Well always trust your instincts is the lesson I have learned. The postive part was I enjoyed the food and the service in the restaurants. Very attentive! However we received no turn down service and actually had requested it daily. This is crazy. When I asked the conciege he told me it happens every 2 days the front desk says it should be done nightly. I didn't believe him. It's likely that unless you request it, it won't happen. We asked to have the sofa bed made up which never happened I had to do it. Again asked for towels and washcloths, they came at 10pm at night. The rooms are worn and you can see patch work or water marks on ceilings. Lots of little ants all over. The grounds were ok. A lot of fountains that did not work full of stagnant water. The beach was very nice as were the pools. Take the golf carts as a lot of walking is involved. Finally it starts off really nice seeing the peacocks walking around and then you see the coati ( a cross between a racoon and a lemur). They are all over and come out during the day and will chase you for food. People feed them all around the beach and they are not afraid so they are bold. One actually jumped on a little girl as she had an ice cream cone. Don't be fooled because you see the cute babies. At one time you will see 40 surround the outside lunch areas. Very unsafe as far as I am concerned. This hotel needs upgrades and to be better managed as they should not have guests request services which have already been paid for.

Room Tip: The 61 building is close to everything except the lobby
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear client,

On behalf of all our staff members we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort, Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

We regret any dissatisfaction you encountered during your stay, and to learn that we were not able to fulfill your expectations.

We are sorry you were dissatisfied with your accommodations. Our maintenance department works on a maintenance roll throughout the year. However the issues you encountered are clearly not want we want our guests to experience; this information will be sent to our Maintenance Manager to take actions.

In regard to your comment about the turn down service please receive our apologies about this matter; we will certainly pass your feedback on to our Housekeeping Manager to avoid this from happening again.

Once again, we are truly sorry that your experience was spoiled and hope you come back to our hotel or any of our sister hotels to show you the great service we are capable of offering.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a fabulous 6 night stay at the Iberostar Maya. We booked through Apple Vacations. This was my first stay at the Maya, but he had been to the area many times and this particular resort a few years prior. The service at the Maya is spectacular. From the moment you arrive everyone is extremely friendly, genuine and helpful. Our room was spacious and very clean. We arrived on Sunday morning and while scheduling our dinners with the concierge I mentioned in passing that my boyfriend's birthday was Monday. The staff went out of their way to make his day special. They stocked the bar with his favorite beer, surprised us with a bottle of champagne before dinner that night, and when we came home from the night out (after special birthday drinks made by the snake-bar staff), left balloons and a cake made out of towels with little flowers for the candle flames. Wow!

Other highlights: We loved the snake bar in the main lobby -- all the staff there were wonderful especially Artemio, Jose and a beautiful lady who worked the evenings whose name totally escapes me at the moment. The entertainment staff was incredibly impressive (each speak 3-4 languages) and worked hard to make sure we had a good time especially Irina, Manuel, Edwin. If these folks were in the States, I'd hire them in a minute. We ended up on-stage for the "ideal couple" contest and had a great time. Dancing at the Galaxy was a blast. The beach is gorgeous although there is a little strip of rocks you'll want to avoid. The spa was beautiful, clean and peaceful. We availed ourselves of all the amenities, the outdoor foot bath, wet and dry saunas, all the Jacuzzi and the pool. We both got massages and reflexology treatments, which were fantastic. We enjoyed the swim up bar and pool and just walking around the immaculate grounds.

The restaurants were all good, but we especially enjoyed the Mediterranean (lobster and steak for my lover's birthday) and the Steakhouse. (Skip the Cajun place -- that was our least favorite). Best bet for hot eggs in the morning is to get an omelette--yum! The buffets are pretty good, there is definitely something for everyone at them.

One minor complaint: The bed was a bit on the hard side although by the second night we got used to it.

Recommendation: Make your reservations for dinner as soon as you arrive to get the best times.

Parting thoughts: Loved, loved, loved this trip! Thank you to all the staff at the Maya for making our vacation wonderful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 6000 area of the Maya. We were steps to the pool and breakfast and only about 100 y...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Please allow us to express our sincere appreciations choosing to be valued guests of Iberostar andfor taking the time to share your opinion of your stay at our lovely resort.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the facilities and services that the resort has to offer, as well as our gastronomy, the wonderful beach and specially our staff, your comments will be passed on to our team; they will be thrilled to read such praise.

Thank you for your preference and for your excellent review and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you deserve!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is our second stay and this hotel and it was just as amazing as the first time around. The staff are extremely accommodating and friendly. The restaurants offer a great choice of beef, chicken, pork and seafood. Can easily find something for anyone. The golf was amazing and reasonably priced. Would definitely recommend this resort to family and friends

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about our resort. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel.

We really appreciate your recognition for our facilities, our service and our delicious food.

Once again thank you for your comments. We look forward to serving you again and endeavor to exceed your expectations even further on your next visit.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a great family resort. The resort has a wave pool, kiddie water park & large pool. The pool also has a swim up bar for adults, as well as bars/ beverage stations around the pool & n the beach. We had adjoining rooms (family suites), with balconies, mini bar in each room (stocked daily with soda, water & beer), tv's & large bathrooms with shower stall & tub jacuzzi. Hotel is directly on the beach. They offer beach & pool games including archery & air gun shooting. The downfall is the food. A reservation is needed for the speciality restaurants & we couldn't get a reservation at the Mexician resturant. The breakfast was good. If a reservation wasn't made for dinner, you had to eat where the lunch is served & that's a buffet, which isn't good. We couldn't get any Mexician food in Mexico...crazy! Over all it's a nice family resaurant & it's a shrt drive from the airport

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Your kind comments are very much appreciated. They will be forwarded to the managers of the staff that you mentioned in your review so that they know of your impression and experience of your stay with us.

In regards to our buffet, we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. We would like to mention that we have a Mexican theme included; Our Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants, by creating a menu that varies every day, we will send him your review for his consideration.

Once more thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

My fiance' and I just returned from our 5 night stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Overall we thought the resort was great. This was my fiance's first time at an all inclusive and it didn't disappoint. We would definitely plan another trip to Iberostar.

Tips:

The rooms at the Maya are very spacious, but you can save money and stay at the Lindo and enjoy all the same ammenities.

We really enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the restaurant near the Mayan lobby. The nutella crepes are absolutely amazing!

I would highly recommend making dinner reservations at the speciality restaurants. We tried the Japanase, Mexican, Steak House, and Cajan restaurants, all of which were great!

For those of you that like privacy, hit the deck on top of the ice cream cafe. We spent a lot of time there and we had the place to ourselves!

The good and the bad:

As I mentioned the food at the speciality restaurants was great; the buffets were decent, but it was very rare to find food that was hot even when the buffets opened.

The staff was amazing from the maids, the waitstaff, bartenders, and the entertainment staff. Speaking of the entertainment staff, they did a great job mingling and getting people to participate in activities. We especially enjoyed our convos with Edwin. The nightly shows were good, not great. Our favorites were the Movie and Awards shows.

We checked out the disco one night and it wasn't really for us, but for those of you into a club vibe check it out. Our favorite hangout was the snake bar which we went to everyday.

I will say that we had tiny little bugs in our bathroom and in the bar area. I wasn't thrilled with that but you see them throughout the resort so I don't think there's much they can do about that. They were harmless.

I've been on vacations that you need to get up early and reserve your lounge chair, this wasn't an issue at the Mayan. There are plenty of lounge chairs on the beach and at the pools.

Check out the Iberostar Lindo or Maya and you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 61 which was near the beach. We had a balcony that was very private looking o...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are very happy to understand from your comments that you have had a memorable experience at our resort and that you were satisfied with several aspects of our services.

Thank you for highlighting our delicious food in our restaurants and buffet; and all our facilities in general.

On the other hand; at the buffet area, efforts are made to avoid food getting cold: temperature is checked constantly, platters are not filled completely and they are changed more often; however, being in open air or with A/C does influence on the food temperature while guests go around the restaurant filling up their plate. This feedback has been sent to our Health & Safety Department, as this is a priority for us.

As for the differences between the two hotels, Iberostar Paraiso Maya offers exclusive services for guests such as 5 restaurants + access to other restaurants, a la carte for breakfast and lunch, the baby kitchen, elevators in buildings, DVD in rooms, free WIFI internet in rooms & lobby, complete and spacious rooms, private swimming pool, access to spa wet area for adults only, and other services that are in the facility Paraiso Maya and will gradually give exclusivity to its guests.

Thank you for trust in us; we are glad that your holiday has been special for you and hope you will be staying again at any of our hotels.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!