“Good, but with some snags” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Aspen, Colorado, USA
“Good, but with some snags”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had a nice trip...despite rain on 5 of 6 nights that we stayed. However, I would suggest that you find out if all restaurants on property are open when you plan to travel. During our stay (end of october) they had the restaruants only open on certain nights...which meant we didn't have a lot of flexibility. We were dissappointed that we had to BEG for wines that were listed in the "inclusive" list. We would be told no over and over, and then when we could track down the sommelier, they had a different answer. Often our plates at the "specialty" restaruants would pile up without being cleared. The Japonese restaruant offered an exciting show (especially when a spatula went flying out of the chef's hands and knocked over a glass of wine and broke glass all over the couple sitting next to us. Could have been worse...it was white wine.) Food at japonese restaruant was below average...buffet sushi was much better. French place was best...but that isn't saying much. Seafood place ok good first time...but the stone crabs on the appetizer buffet looked too familar 3 nights later. Anyway, we love food and wine, and this was the best hotel we could stay at with our kids under Iberostar brand. So if you are like us...you would want to spend more and go to another resort for better food. If not, this place has great pools for kids, fun water park and wave pool, beautiful beach, fun activities, shows are definately entertaining. Wildlife on property is always thrilling. Kids club could use some excitement...and more stuff for the kids to do...but our kids enjoyed hanging out before/after dinner (coloring and watching movies) while we relaxed. Best alcohol is in the lobby "snake bar"...other bars serve the Mexican well stuff. Gym has dated equipment...but better than some places (definately not enough cardio equipment for this size resort). Shopping center is closed until 6:30 at night...what's up with that??!! Something in our A/C unit clicked all night long...which disrupted sleep a bit. Definately stay on 3rd (top) floors for quitest room. No rooms have beach view...so recommend staying in block of rooms closer to the lobby/main buffet...unless you like to walk alot (we do...but it was annoying after the 3rd day). It is right between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen, so 30-40 minutes each way for that activity. I prefer to stay closer to Playa Del Carmen. We probably wouldn't stay here again...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2,408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

What a wonderful vacation resort, nothing short of magnificent. We chose the Iberostar Paraiso Maya for the location,rating and children's activitiy program. We were completely satisfied with the beauty, cleanliness, attentive staff and fantastic children's program and activities and personnel. We were greeted by Hector, and our request for a connecting room, in bulding 61 was granted. We were upgraded to a family suite,how lovely. Our little 4-1/2 year old grandson truly enjoyed the Kids Club, the pools and activities. He wanted to go everyday and was sad to leave. He loved Miss April...she is a gem.
Food was excellent...our favorite waiter, Alejandro was great. Pleasant, helpful, going over-board to please us.We hope to see him in Puerto Vallarta, at his new location, Iberostar Playa Mita.
Artisemo, the bartender at the Snake Bar, went above and beyond too, in making our stay memorable.
Iberostar...hats off to all, you run a great resort.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the location, Building 61, rooms 6150 and 6151, connecting rooms, perfect for our family...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear customer,

We would like to thank you for your invaluable feedback. We are really glad to know you are coming back to our resort and appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

Your comments about the friendliness of our staff motivate us to provide an even better service to our customers.

We hope that when you return to Mexico, we will have the absolute pleasure of being your hosts again, either at our sister resort Iberostar Playa Mita in Puerto Vallarta or with us in Riviera Maya!

Warm regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to an iberostar. My wife and I have stayed at now hotels, secrets, gran Bahia principe, dreams, and now iberostar ( at least in Mexico anyways). So I am basing my review on past experiences at the other resorts up and down the coast over the last several years and this is our eighth time in this area.
First, apple vacations was great once again. No problems getting here, getting from airport to hotel, etc. the pricing is always really reasonable especially if you watch the last minute deals which are sometimes several months out.
Now for the hotel. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. It is a very up to date hotel on par with the rest of the hotels in the same apple rating range. We paid a little extra to stay in maya instead of lindo and realized, there was no good reason. In fact, we toured all properties and found them to be not much different, especially since the pricing jumps quickly. The food was good for an all inclusive, but extremely repetitive. We have stayed at other all inclusives just to be clear and this was the worst at variety. The best variety was the lunch buffet as it changed a little bit daily which I found odd because usually it is the dinner with the most change in menu. The wait staff were okay at best. The restaurant managers watched more like hawks than friendly greeting helpful people. In fact, we were asked to move during lunch because we sat in a section that was apparently closed off. Not that there was a sign saying closed, or a greeter to direct you to the "open" section of the wide open room. Instead, we were rushed to in order to pick up our plates and carry them to another part of the room. This by the way was the fastest service we had at any restaurant. The staff looked more management beaten than happy which could be a cause. The hotel was relatively empty which would normally mean that the restaurants would have wide open reservation times. NOPE. Very limited restaurant open times despite the concierge in each block of buildings. Asa note though, food quality is good and whoever does the bakery is the best. We had a tv that didn't work in our room (6333 in case anyone else gets it). We reported this four times in various ways since day one. To date, we still assume it does not work because it was never fixed during our seven night stay. I know tv isn't usually that important on vacation, but I really like to watch a little right before bed and as I said, we paid a little more to stay here. They can get me across the Caribbean to an island and back in less than a day but getting a tv is apparently a touch more tricky. I am guessing it is due to the fact that getting around anywhere at the hotel can be a bit tricky. I know that golf carts exist in the universe and actually here at the resort. I even saw trans stops at the resort ( at the lower end ones go figure). But no trans here at the upscale ones. I like to dive so I had to carry my equipment quite far every day to the ocean. I carry it at home where no one carries stuff for you, but at home I don't park 3/4 of a mile from where I dive either. I have done this at other resorts and staff have picked me up along the way in the golf carts and helped out. I also tip pretty decent but this is the first trip I had more than half my tip money reserve ( yes I actually bring a certain amount just to give in tips usually about $500) but I didn't really get any opportunities as the staff was not very engaging. Most hotels on check in also do a great job explaining where to eat, transportation, shows, etc. not so much here. Got lost finding our room on day one. If the resort maps were actually accurate, it may have helped, but the correct mapping process is still being held up by the tv repair service. This resort does offer a lazy river and a wave pool which look awesome in the photos. Don't be fooled. If you have experienced a lazy river in your life you expect that entering at one point you will eventually drift around to another point. This isn't the case here. It is a lazy river because it is truly the laziest river on the planet. Swamp lands in the Everglades with stagnant water have more drift. If you want to move around this "river" which we referred to as the donut pool, it will be under your own power. The wave pool is nice however for little ones if you don't want them going in the ocean. If your over 6 however, there really is an ocean here with real waves and everything and you don't have to wait for the buzzer to get a wave.
Finally, the saving grace. Dressel divers is the name of the on site dive shop. My only regret with this dive shop is that they got affiliated with this hotel. The dressel staff is great. The boats and rental equipment ( at least what is awash have my own gear) are top notch for rental stuff. Very safety conscious ad great personality guides and instructors. This is the best of the five dive shops I have been to in the yuca tan peninsula. I just wished they were paired with another resort. I highly recommend the cenotes and Cozumel excursions. It doesn't matter which guide you get,they are all great.

My conclusions to date on area resorts are as follows. For best inviting feeling, friendly staff, ease of access and best property, go to gran Bahia principe. Best rooms,secrets. Best food, Now. Best dive shop , iberostar.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

compared to other resorts here, this one is average. we reported three times the t.v. in our room didn't work, but it was never fixed in the 7 days we were here. the food is average, above if you don't mind eating the same thing every day for three meals per. the bakery is one of the things they get right on a four to five star level, though again, there is repetition. the rooms are ok, the beds are awful so make sure to ask for the foam topper and bring your own pillow if possible. the decor is nice, but it definitely lacks in comfort. the few areas that have couches or padded chairs are in areas that are high traffic. there are other resorts that do comfort way better. overall, this place is just not home away from home. the staff is nice, but very few go above and beyond, which is odd for a gratuity dependent industry. i'm guessing it's corporate culture because again, other resorts have employees falling over you to help make your stay awesome. the property is large, but there is no shuttle system for the older or heavily burdened (dive gear laden) crowd. if there is one, we didn't see it. it is clean and well kept, but needs a new paint layer here and there. for the money, you can find better. we won't stay here again, but don't regret trying it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Please allow us to express our sincere appreciations for not only choosing our resort to spend your vacations with us, but also for taking the time to send your comments and your opinion of your holiday at Iberostar.

We are sorry you were dissatisfied with your accommodations. Our maintenance department works on a maintenance roll throughout the year. However the issues you encountered are clearly not want we want our guests to experience; this information will be sent to our Maintenance Manager to take actions.

We extend our sincerest apologies if you were disappointed with certain aspects of our resort. Please rest assured however that all your observations have been noted and will be passed along to the respective department managers.

In regard to your comment about our food, we are sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our Chef is always working on improving and creating different options to be offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants; our buffets have a different theme every day. As we make changes based upon our guests’ feedback, yours will be sent to him for his consideration.

We regret to hear you found the beds to be too firm; we would also like to mention that all the mattresses in our rooms comply with a standard, and the foam topper usually satisfies those that find them too hard. We will forward your comment to our Housekeeping department to take this into account when mattresses are renewed.

Regarding your comments about our staff, we apologize about that. We would like to inform you that we are creating specific training programs for our employees to achieve our aim, which is the complete satisfaction of our clients. We work to exceed your expectations and our service is key.

We are truly saddened the read that you do not intend to return to our resort but nevertheless hope that we will once again have the honor of serving you at our resort so we may prove to you, our commitment to exceptional customer service and satisfaction.

Kind regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I've been to two other Iberostar resorts, and I must say my wife and I were a little bit let down on our recent trip. Ill keep it very simple:

Pros:
-Once again the Iberostar staff (waiters, bartenders, house keeping, bus boys). They really do deserve a five star, and I dont want to take anything away from the work they do.
-Our room was located in building 63, and was large and very well kept.
-Massage services and the spa wet area was very relaxing and well worth it.
-The golf course and staff is top notch. Fun challenging layout that is well worth every bit. I was kind of surprised we were able to get a 2:00 tee time within an hour of calling.
-I know a lot of people complain about the walking, but its actually kind of nice.
-Two trips to Playa Del Carmen for dinner reservations was a piece of cake thanks to our concierge

Cons:
-I think the number one disappoint that we encountered was not being able to hitch a ride or waiting for a ride. My wife and I wanted to go to the shopping center around 11:00 at night. I approached the front lobby manager and he told me to simply walk because its 2 min away. I thought the carts were availalbe at all times. Then went on to say they only had 1 cart available at night. She was in high heels and had been walking all day, and all I wanted to do was grab a cigar and a drink. We were both floored in the response.
-Buffet was smaller than other iberostars, with outdoor seating within the pool areas.
-Yes it rained pretty hard for 2 days, not Iberostars fault, but they had roof leaks in the lobby bar, sports bar, and other places. Seemed like this is an on going problem because they had an army of people constantly trying to keep things dry.
-The hammocks on the balconies are useless. They are sit down hammocks that are extremely uncomfortable (feet fall asleep in 5 min). More of a wasted space than anything.

We booked the Maya because it was actually cheaper than the Lindo and was suppose to be "better". I really have nothing bad to say about the other Iberostars, but this one missed the mark and makes me question Iberostars in the future.

Room Tip: Building 63 is close to the pools and 2 buffets, but about a 4-7 min walk to the lobby and restauran...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

Thank you very much for the feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers. Your comments are very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We are glad you enjoyed our service and facilities. It was a pleasure to have been given the chance to serve you and very encouraging hearing that our service and various staff members served to make your trip even more memorable.

On the other hand, we regret any dissatisfaction you encountered during your stay, we are very sorry to read that we were not able to fulfill your expectations.

In regard to your comment about our golf carts service, we are sorry for your discomfort, we will forward your comment to our Manager in order to take it into consideration.

We deeply apologize for the issues you describe due to the rain; Our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas to be improved and our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. We will keep working hard to improved these areas.

We hope you give us another opportunity in the future to change your point of view regarding the above mentioned services.

Fairhaven, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I came upon our 15th Anniversary and decided to go to Mexico. After much research, and recommendations, we chose Iberostar Maya and boy did it deliver!! The grounds were beautiful, the room amazing, and the staff were suburb. Everyone was beyond nice, genuine, and remembered our faces and most times, our orders. I have never felt so pampered and relaxed. WE are already planning our next trip to the Maya!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the absolute privilege of being your hosts by choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your most recent vacation.

We would also like to express our sincere appreciations to you for taking time to send us your comments on how your holidays went at our resort and that you enjoyed our facilities and you were pleased with our lovely staff.

Thank you very much for trusting us, and to the above, we are confident that will soon be with us again.

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We traveled to this hotel with another family and little kids. We specifically picked the hotel for its good family reviews and amenities for families. My family and I are typically not the complaining type and are very easy to please but out of all the Mexico resorts I have stayed at in the last few years I really wanted to write a review on this one because it was a big let down.

The hotel and its grounds are beautiful.

Rooms are nice (beds rock hard). And I mean ROCK hard.

Food was ok. A little repetitive and bland at the buffets compared to other resorts but still OK. A lot of the specialty restaurants were closed during our stay apparently. When we called to make reservations they would tell us one restaurant is open and this is the only time we have. One two of the four days that we at specialty restaurants they made the reservation at the wrong resort and another time didn't make it all.

The beach was amazing. Waters had no rocks and was crystal clear ...very few waves.

Pools were nice as well.

Entertainment team was by far the biggest plus and surprise. Amazing shows.

Front desk is one are where this hotel needs to work on big time. We arrived for check in 3 hours early. We had no problems waiting at all. The front desk attendant Adrianna checked us in, gave us room keys and said your room will be ready at 3pm. A simple
"you can wait here" or
"the buffet is around the corner for your kids to eat while you wait" or
"here is a quick overview of the resorts and its amenities"
"here are places or things you can access or not access"....
All of these would have been very helpful.

As some of the previous reviews mentioned, this resort complex is huge. The Maya and Lindo share a lot of its facilities, the majority of these located on the Lindo side. My suggestion is if you still want to go is book a room at the Lindo and save yourself the extra charges, because a lot of the restaurants, theater with shows, lazy river, kids pool and other things are located on the Lindo side anyway.

Another disappointment was with the trolley system. The hotel says they have trolley's going every 15 minutes to transport guests around. This IS NOT TRUE by any means. There are trolley's that is correct but very few drivers, thus all you see is the trolley's parked---meaning A LOT of walking. For a hotel this size, there need to be trolleys otherwise your vacation turns into a walking marathon because its a mile in each direction.

Room Tip: Due to excessive walking, I'd say pick a room in the middle of the resort ..to make it closer to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear client,

On behalf of all our staff members we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort, Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

Your comments regarding the kindness and entertainment offered by our Star Friends team will go far way in encouraging them. Thank you very much; they certainly are a great asset to our company.

With that being said, we would like to express our sincerest apologies if you were displeased in way with any aspect of our resort.

Regarding your comments about our front desk, and mistakes made with your restaurant reservations, we apologize about that. We are organizing intensive training sessions and improvements in our system to avoid these issues in the future. Our service must be excellent in all areas.

Regarding beds, we would like to mention that all the mattresses in our rooms comply with a standard; nevertheless, we have toppers to soften the beds upon our guests’ request.

We regret any dissatisfaction regarding our services and the layout of our resort. Some guests love the long walk around our beautiful grounds and other guests prefer to take a ride. We are happy to tell you that we have just bought new golf carts for our guests comfort. You can also pre-program a ride with the Concierge and wait comfortably in your room until it arrives.

We hope you give us another opportunity in the future to change your point of view regarding the above mentioned services so we may prove to you our commitment to exceptional customer service and satisfaction; which we improve day after day thanks to our guests’ feedback.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Quality manager
Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!