“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Saginaw, Michigan
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Every year my husband and I go to Mexico and thought we'd try Iberostar this time. The place was really clean. I loved the set up and shops. All the bars/cafes. The shows at night were entertaining. We spent most our time at the beach vs the pools. It's very interactive for children if you have them. If not i would suggest staying at the Grand. I thought this was some of the best quality of all-inclusive food yet. I would go back to an Iberostar!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya. In addition, we very much appreciate your taking the time to write a review for Trip Advisor about your opinion of your holiday with us.

Your kind comments are very much appreciated. They will be forwarded to our Management so that they know of your impression and experience of your stay with us.

We are happy that you enjoyed the facilities and services that the resort has to offer and we look forward to having the opportunity to host your vacation again.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Polish first
Missouri City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is our 5th time to the Iberostar resorts in Playa del Carmen - our 2nd time staying at the Paraiso Maya. We feel so comfortable going there - it is like home! A family of 5 resorts - the Paraiso Maya is the top tier resort that allows children. The Grand Hotel is next door. As such, going the week of the Labor Day holiday - it was like an All Adult resort - most of the kids were back in school and there were a handful of Europeans with children. Much quieter this week - obtaining reservations at the Maya restaurants was a breeze! We ate at the Steak house, Japanese and French restaurant - they were all awesome! The food was just "melt in your mouth". We stayed in the building close to the beach - which we requested - and it was great! With all of the food you eat, walking to your room after eating a good meal was a necessity. I think we lost weight with all of the walking we did - but we really enjoyed that! My husband rented a all-terrain Segway and toured with the guide - his first time - it was an hour long tour of the golf course and other places we did not even know about. It is something he will do again and I will certainly join him. Very cheap as well! My favorite thing to do is paint ceramics on the beach - a small cabana is set up where you can buy bisque ceramics (ready to paint). The vendors will then "fix" all of your mistakes and make them beautiful for you to pick up the next day. I have a collection of ceramics for every year we go - keepsakes for sure!

The beach was stunning - would typically rain in the morning and then be hot during the day. The nightly shows were good - but could probably use some updating - we have seen the same shows in prior years. The disco opens up at 11:00 p.m. - good but the times we went all they played was techno music - not something I could really relate to - what's wrong with disco!! :)

Cons: The maids seems to clean at all hours of the day and night - they push the furniture around - so you hear some serious scrapping on the floor - nerve wracking! I had to call the front desk once to ask them to stop with all of the racket because it was midnight!

Advice: Check everything in your room the 1st day - does your room safe work? phone work? shampoo/conditioner in the room?, etc. Do you need a sponge topper for your bed? (we did - the bed was pretty hard for us since our home bed is much softer). The staff is very accommodating on all of our requests - after the first day we were free to enjoy our vacation!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

Let us begin by thanking you for choosing to vacation at our lovely resort.

Our main goal is to offer the best vacation experiences to our guests, thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned. It certainly gives us a great deal of satisfaction to understand from your kind remarks that you had a wonderful experience at our resort, and felt like stars while with us.

We also very much appreciated your taking the time to highlight the more memorable aspects of our resort such as our rooms, pool, beach, food, entertainment and last but definitely not least, our staff who were so accommodating to you.

We would like to express our sincerest apologies if you were displeased in way with any aspect of our resort.

Thank you for your loyalty and for your wonderful review; we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Best Regards,
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I will apologize in advance for being so long winded. I am the family vacation planner and just want to give the best info that I can as I depend heavily upon reviews when I am planning. So here goes.
I will start slightly off topic with, BUY THE INSURANCE! It was one of those things that I questioned every time I booked something. Is it worth it? I've never used it, do I REALLY need it? Yes, yes you do. We had a cruise planned in May of this year (booked 2 cabins through Royal Caribbean and one through Expedia) when my brother-in-law passed away untimely and unexpectedly 18 days before we were to leave. (he was traveling with us) Because we all had the insurance the total cost of our trip was refunded and we were able to plan something for later in the year. BUY THE INSURANCE! Also for that trip I had air travel booked through AirTran and they issued a credit for their airline to be used anytime within one year for the full price of the tickets.
We are a family of four. My husband and I (44 and 42) and our children (23 and 21)
So for a myriad of reasons we settled on all-inclusive resort, Riviera Maya, and eventually the Paraiso Maya. We traveled Aug. 24th - Aug. 31st. as this one of the cheaper weeks of the year to travel to a tropical destination and we were able to get more bang for our buck. Beware that it is also the rainy season but we were blessed with absolutely beautiful weather with most of the rain being short lived and in the evening.
The resort in general- There are five buildings that make up entire complex. The Beach and the Del-mar share facilities , the Lindo and the Maya share facilities and then the Grand which is the most luxurious, adults only, is a private building. (It is stunning from the outside). We were at the Maya, which gave us access to all the other buildings except the Grand. The Maya and the Lindo share a large main pool,(there were a couple small pools exclusive to the Maya but we didn't use them.) most restaurants and buffets, and a theater. Be prepared to do a lot of walking! Like I said it's a really big place and the "you are here" maps are few and far between. The ones that you can find are not well marked and are hard to follow. We spent a lot of time the first few days just wandering aimlessly hoping to see something familiar. Finally started to get it figured out a few days in. There is a "mini mall" onsite which was nice to meander through in the evenings. Don't miss the tacos, burgers, and ice cream down here! There is a really pervasive odor of sewage at times in different locations all around the resort.
The rooms- The rooms are really large, all with balconies that are great for morning coffee. The bathrooms are huge with a separate shower, Jacuzzi tub, and double sinks. This made getting ready to leave really easy. Girls the closet space is great!! We each had our own closet. There were a few petty issues. Not deal breakers for us but some people are bothered by small things like this. Only one room had robes, only one room had a coffee maker (requested another), only one of the two safes worked, the lock on one bathroom was broken, the rooms smelled really musty at times. Again nothing significant enough to affect our vacation but little things just the same. The rooms were cleaned really well in the morning and there was turn down service each evening. It is up to you to find out what is going on at the resort each day if you want to participate in the games and such.
The POOLS. The main pools were amazing people!! Really large so you never felt crowded. Liked the wave pool. Didn't use the lazy river as we chose to be lazy beside the pool in the sun but it looked really nice. It was a tad difficult to get a premium spot by the pools as it seemed like people came down early and saved chairs with their towels. But still were able to get chairs everyday and just moved them to or from the sun as we wished. The water was warm enough without being overly so, just right. The buffets being right there is nice. You can leave your towels, run in and have a great lunch, then right back to sun and water. The pool bar ROCKS, what a great way to cool off and meet a lot of great people. Also the ice cream parlor above the bar is a great little bonus.
The BEACH- Great beach! Soft white sand, chairs are plentiful and the ocean is just beautiful!! We just chose to be lazy in the sun but if it is adventure that suits you there were things like para sailing and wave runners you could rent. Henna tattoos, hair braiding, and the likes. If you want to eat here get there early. We ended up deciding to go back to the buffet because there was a limited amount of food and long lines for lunch at the beach. There is a bar as well.
The BARS and The DRINKS- There is a bar pretty much anywhere you are, so drinks are never far away. They are not mixed very strong but I don't think that is a great surprise since they are included. You only need ask for them a little stronger or for top shelf if that is what you wish. We are not power drinkers so this really wasn't a huge issue for us. A few special mentions here, Filiberto and Javier at the pool bar, Johhny, Luis, Yessenia at the lobby bar, and Jenny, waitress at the pool. Kept a drink in our hand and a smile on our face.
The FOOD- Overall I would say pretty standard fare. Not bad but not exceptional. Not many things that were served really hot. There wasn't anytime during our stay that any of us were hungry. There was always somewhere and something good to eat. We had reservations 5 nights at the specialty restaurants . Have to say that I wasn't crazy about having to make a reservation, get dressed up, ( dress code is pretty laid back) and I love to get dressed up, being seated only to be sent to the buffet to make my salad and get my own appetizers next to someone in a swimsuit fresh from the beach or pool. I guess it just felt sorta pointless. Again not the end of the world just a little strange. DO NOT MISS La Geisha Japanese food. Great food and even better "show" at the grill. Had a wonderful time here. Take note the ordering process is a little rushed and confusing here. Make them stop and make sure that they know everything that you want! Don't be shy, you paid for this.
OK SO THE STAND OUT FOR THIS RESORT- The STAFF
Exceptional in every way possible! They seem happy to be meet your every desire. Everyone has smile and "Hola." I don't even know how to say enough. They staff really made this vacation wonderful! Please people, tip them. They depend a great deal on your tips! Doesn't have to be a lot, but a little goes along way. PLEASE TIP THEM, they deserve it.
OFF THE RESORT-
We decided not to go to Chichen Itza because it was three hours away. We settled on Coba and booked a tour through Olympus at the resort. The ruins at Coba are the last that are open to climb. Our tour guide Pablo was great and really gave a great history of the Mayan people and then turned us loose to go climb. Take the "taxi", a bike with a basket, back to the temple. It is worth the money. It is 1 and 1/2 miles back. If you are physically able don't miss climbing the temple, the view is worth it and you might not get the chance again.
Spent a few hours in Playa Del Carmen- Nice way to spend a few hours. A shuttle to and from the resort several times a day $5. per person. The shop owners are pretty pushy so unless you want to return with a ton of overpriced, useless trinkets, Just Say No unless you are truly interested.

Okay to sum it all up what a wonderfully beautiful place this was. A great time for all of us. Someone always there to meet your every want and need almost before you could think it.
Would definitely return. Great resort!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear friend,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments about our resort. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at the hotel.

We really appreciate your recognition for our facilities and service! It is a real honour for us to learn that you and your family enjoyed our resort. We are proud to receive this type of feedback because this way we know we are on the right track, and of course we will keep improving day by day to provide the best service. Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our staff will also go far way in encouraging our team.

We apologize about the situation you described in your room and in certain areas of the resort. Our Management and Maintenance Department are constantly working on areas to be improved and our facilities follow a maintenance standard roll in order to try to keep our areas and rooms impeccable. So your feedback is very useful to us. We would like to mention that our Public Relations Department and our Front Desk are also happy to help when our guests present concerns.

We are quite confident that you will be returning to our beautiful resort in the future and as such, we look forward to your next visit.

Warm Regards,
Carol Stream, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It was a second time to stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya.
Very good service, especially at restaurants. We could go to the restaurans every day.Fresh food, crab, lobsters, fish, steaks were very delicious.
I really like French restaurant, very good service there.
All rooms are junior suites,our room was located close to the beach, ans we realy like it. Entertainment was very good, especiaaly on the beach.
Every day we went to the SPA, hot jacuzzi, cold and hot water pools.
Thanks everybody who work there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your detailed review. We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the services provided at our hotel.

We are glad that your holiday has been special for you and your family; this type of comments motivates us to keep providing an excellent service.

One more time, we would like to thank you for your preference and loyalty. We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

South Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Iberostar Paraíso Maya is the best option you can have for a family vacation with kids. Great facilities, plenty of restaurant options (Buffet o a La Carte), huge pool, waterpark for kids, lazzy river and waves pool makes your life with kids easier and full of options for entertainment with the Animation and Sports Club, Beach area is big with a lot of palapas. Food is great too, a lot of dishes in buffet area, diferent every day and night. Service is excellent. My best time for a long weekend with my family...

Room Tip: choose those that are closer to the waves pool...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear client,

We are extremely proud to understand from your comments that you had a memorable experience at our resort and that you were satisfied with several aspects of our services.

In addition, we are most certainly grateful for the time you have taken to share with us and fellow travelers, your opinion of your holiday at our resort.

We are extremely proud to understand from your comments that you have had a memorable experience at our hotel and truly appreciate your special mention about our rooms, food, pool, beach and our staff. We are certainly aware that it is through our staff efforts that we are able to achieve our goal of complete guest satisfaction.

Once more thank you for choosing Iberostar and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

DFW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you are traveling to Mexico, then an all-inclusive is the way to go....and if you are going the all-inclusive route, then Iberostar is the STAR to choose.
We have stayed at the Iberostar Lindo a couple of times....and it was a great experience. This trip our families stayed at the Maya...and it was also good.
They share some of the same facilities, pool, restaurants...but have a few other exclusives as they are the next step up in the Iberostar family.
Beaches are nice, all-inclusive is great. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Suggest to choose a room closer to the check-in area. Restaurants are mostly in the same area as we...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear client,

It is always a pleasure to receive feedback like yours, and on behalf of the entire team here at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing our resort for your family vacation.

We appreciate the fact that you took such care in detailing your vacation experience for all the readers on this medium. It is a cause of satisfaction to know that as a team we were able to meet your expectations during your vacation in Mexico.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you and your family back for another great vacation. We are at your service for further assistance.

Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

You will want for very little in this hotel, one of 5 on th paraiso campus, and the 2nd most lavish after the adult only Grand. Sharing a pool with the Lindo and having access to all of the Lindo's speciality resteraunts results in a lively resort for families and a choice of more than 10 places to eat each night. A large theatre provides nightly entertainment of a cheesy but professional and suprisimgly highly produced standard. The almost continuous buffets are of a high standard comparable with international hotels in Las Vegas, and whilst the specialty resteraunts provide welcome variety (and in the case of the Japanese resteraunt no small amount of theatre) those who are expecting genuinely gourmet or Michelin starred food will be dissapointed. In particular the French resteruant let down in this respect, with for example the Brie being substituted with something more akin to Manchego , nothing actually wrong with it, just not Brie, not French and not what I asked for or expected.

The complex also features two nightclubs, one for teens (empty) and one for adults (full of teens) a burger bar, a crepe cafe, an ice cream parlour, a beach grill bar, a taco place etc. etc. all included within your all inclusive deal, which is particularly good for those with kids who get tired of the continual expenditure of a more conventional holiday.

The bars are well stocked with recognisable quality brands such as Bombay Saphire and Glenfiddich all included in the deal.

A lot of Americans drinking frozen cocktails in the pool bars and leaving them half finished all around the pools, and an annoying tendancy of fellow guests to reserve poolside and beach side beds with towels before breakfast (why don't the management just clear them all away if the beds are not being used??), and the always slightly ominous expectation to tip frequently (although only modestly, I am British and once I have paid I hate paying again for the order to be taken, then poured, then cleared, and then accompanied by a complimentary snack etc. are the only slight irritants even after two weeks in the resort.

A fantastic beach and of course the Carribean sea, complete what constitutes by most peoples standards a great value and high quality family beach holiday.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest,

Please accept our most sincere appreciations for choosing to be valued guests of our property. In addition, we are most definitely grateful for the time you have taken to write a review about how your holidays went at our resort.

In regard to your comment about our French restaurant, we feel sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Our executive Chef is always working on improving the different options offered at our buffets and A la Carte restaurants, so he will be thankful to read your feedback so that he is sure to go on the right direction.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!