“Economic Impact has changed some things/many not.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Syracuse, New York
“Economic Impact has changed some things/many not.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Having been to the Iberostar Paraiso Maya 5 times, I have seen the changes in several areas of the resort. Most of the changes have been the result of economic conditions which resulted in cutting back on some of the flash and in some cases waste caused by using huge amounts of fruits and vegetables for decoration. Choices on the buffets used to be overwhelming, now they are limited but replenished quickly. This can sometimes be better especially during slow times. Another area hard hit is the entertainment staff. They are so stretched in covering shows, activities and other responsibilities they do not have time to give the guests the "special" attention that I had been used to. When a person is addressed by their name it shows the extra comfortable relationship the Star Friends are known for.
A couple areas that seem to survived well are the maintenance of the grounds and the ever friendly, helpful staff. Whether it was the bartender at the pool or lobby, the grounds keepers or even a waiter, that helped you order in Spanish, you were always were welcomed with a smiling hola'.
Overall this visit was good. This review would normally have been written by my wife, unfortunately she passed away. Anyone that follows reviews here would have known her as Penster57. We had already had this trip booked, I brought my son in her place. The resort has brought many great memories and friend into our lives, Thank you, justgeorgef

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya once again for your recent stay in Mexico. This type of feedback helps us identify areas or concern.

Please receive our sincere condolences for your loss, your review broke our heart and we truly hope you had a good experience with your son in what we hope will be considered as your home away from home.

Please be sure that we have taken note of all your comments and can assure you that we will do our best to improve day after day. We do work hard to keep improving our services and our quality so that our guests leave satisfied.

We wish to have the opportunity to host you and your family again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us in advance if you have any special requests; we will be happy to assist you.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Polish first
Fredericton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here during November and this is the best time of year to go. No trouble getting chairs, you have the pool almost to yourself. The resort is sooooo beautiful. We loved every minute. The restaurants were all very good. The wine is so so but you can order off the wine menu for an extra cost. Considering the cost of the whole thing this is hardly an extra expense to have a nice bottle of wine with your meal.
As guests of the Maya you may use the spa facilities at no extra charge, the other properties have to pay for the use. We were the only ones at the spa - talk about luxurious.

The weather was wonderful and we had massages on the beach in a private hut with curtains.
The staff are endearing and you will fall in love with them all.

Iberostar is always our resort of choice when visiting, the islands or Mexico.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear friend,

We appreciate you sharing your opinion on your stay with us with other travelers. Your fabulous experience may encourage other travelers to choose as their vacation destination in Mexico. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

Thank you for your lovely remarks about our staff, restaurants and facilities; it is truly motivational to read them.

We are already looking forward to your return trip next year! It would be a pleasure to host you again.

Easton, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

let me start off by introducing my wonderful family of 10 that got the pleasure of being guests at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya.. my name Ryan (age 29) and I was accompanied by my 2 older brothers Bobby (age 40) and Michael (age 38) along with our mother Diane, father Robert, Bobby's wife Nicole, their 2 children Robby (age 8) and Riley (age 4), and my brother Michael's 2 kids Ashely (age 10) and Jenna (age 7).. When we first arrived at the resort it was nothing but being waited on hand and foot by the bell hops and luggage crews (excellent services) as soon as we unpacked the fun began... we as a family are very active and outgoing…so for us the highlight of this trip was the tons and tons of daily and nightly entertainment activities the maya offered us… Sajid (one of the nicest gents in all of mexico, many thanks from mi familia to you sir) was the director in charge of all the daily activities along with his side kick William (the funny man behind the microphone most of the time) and when I say daily activities I mean every 30 minutes or so there is something new and fun going on (if you time it right you can pretty much do all the activities the day has to offer while you can still enjoy a refreshing beverage of choice… I personally recommend an Absolute vodka and cranberry alongside a shot of tequila made by Enrique, Ivan, and Filiberto, our personal favorite bartenders, for they knew what we liked and it was ready before we even got there! (Kudos for that added perk).. Onto the main event.. (It was our gladiator arena where everyone at the resort that was around the pool area cheered everyone else on… true peace on earth) the BIG pool games which over the course of the week these games consisted of 1.Kicking a football through a field goal in the middle of the pool 2.massive game of water polo 3.hit a tennis ball through an inflatable circle tube 4.basketball shots on a hoop in the pool 5.the magic carpet which you have to run to the middle of the pool on a foam mat with some obstacles along the way 6.massive game of pool volley ball using a yoga ball 7.kayak race through the middle of the pool 8.head to head swimming competition 9.kicking a soccer ball into a goal in the middle of the pool and there were also mini games going on at the smaller pool which you could basically play at your own discretion and they also had daily ping pong and dart tournaments... now onto the beach activities…myself and my brothers were lucky enough to be judges in the great bikini contest on the beach (very sexy!), there were also air rifles challenges, and archery contests throughout the week.. along with at least 2 games of beach volley ball a day and horse shoes and bocce ball... then there was one day they made paella which consists of rice, shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, pork, peas, corn, beans all mixed together in a special sauce made on a large 2 meter pan where they used giant boat oars to mix the concoction together this is a must try if you like sea food!! as an added bonus you also got to wash it down with all the freshly made sangria with all the fresh fruit you could ask for… another one our favorite things about the resort was the beautiful theater where every night at 8:30 they had a preshow and then at 9:30 they would have their main performances which included: a magic act (the children loved it!!) then the next night was my personal favorite show (me and Bobby were a part of the main event) it was entitled the pirate show I’d love to go into details but it’s one of those things you wouldn’t believe it unless you saw it firsthand!! Well I’ll tell you a small portion of the act… at one point they dressed me up as Shakira (and no my hips didn’t lie) and then I had to go out and sing a song that I have never heard before and that’s where that story’s going to end…they also dressed Bobby up as Shania Twain just picture a 40 year old man in a tight skirt running around the stage singing a song he knows 5 words of… I’ll leave the rest of that show to your imagination… but the next day walking around the pool and down at the beach there were people from all nationalities coming up to us wanting to take pictures with us and hi-fiving us and wanting to have some small talk with us even if we spoke different languages it didn’t matter a smile complimented with a giant AMIGO and some laughter at the maya is definitely worth way more than a thousand words in any language…I kind of felt like I was an international celebrity for the rest of the trip… and then there was the salsa dancing contest (hilarious)… another night was Disney night which you may think it was meant to be just for kids but it really truly brought back a lot of fond memories from all the Disney movies old and new awesome show for all ages… another night they had ‘movie night ‘ where they acted out skits from different movies but I unfortunately missed the show but I did see pictures the next day of (the entertainment director) Sajid dressed up as Rose and Rodrigo (entertainer extraordinaire) dressed up as Jack from the titanic which I’m sure had to be one hysterical performance.. there was also a couples night performance where they got couples from the resort to do all kinds of off the wall things like reenact their first kiss, use their bodies to smash balloons together in a wide variety of positions and then one got blind folded and had to listen to the sound of their mates voice to figure out how to stick the finger on the ring which had everyone cracking up and after that it turned into karaoke night (where I truly love to let the cat out of the bag so to speak) there was also night club that stayed open until 3am every night with the all-inclusive luxury’s any ‘dance machine’ could ask for and finally the sun would not have risen each morning in all its glory if it weren’t for the heart and soul of the entertainment staff…these people you cannot help but feel immediately attached to because of their kindness and deserve a lot of high recognition for their hard work and effort they put into each day to make it as memorable to each and every guest as possible…without further adieu mi amigos Rodrigo, Carlos, Brigham, and Arturo (these guys will have you laughing all day every day at your own expense)… so many fun times and loads of laughs! thank you guys for letting us win every single event where you participated in…. or were we just that good hahaha) then there were 2 of the most beautiful senoritas in all of Mexico, Tabatha and Alejandra. These ladies always have kind words to say to you that will lift your hearts up to sky and treat you like you just won a gold medal in the Olympics we thank you for that.. Tabatha you had me really believing I was Tom Brady at one point hahaha (wish you could hear my woody woodpecker laugh again don’t you!!) and Alejandra I honestly don’t think you know how funny you really are…you at the beach by the water (you know what I’m talking about) doing your singing and dancing and chasing of the footsteps I don’t think I ever laughed so hard in my life! You truly are one of a kind and you have the kindest heart towards the kids!! and last but not least my dearest Gaby…you are a chica of many talents… you really did make waking up in the morning at the maya very easy just knowing you may be around the next corner!!! There was never a dull moment when Gaby was around so full of life and happiness and a charisma that you share with all the guests... she has a special way of always talking people into getting involved with the activities (even when it was just you and me 1on1 basketball in the pool where I taught you how to play P.I. G for the first time and you beat me 3 times in a row… cheater (but you couldn’t beat Bobby!!!) those little moments are what make the maya such a beautiful place to be.. and you were also so great with my nieces and nephews. It was really terrific how you helped them learn to speak your language and make them feel at home and she helped me to perfect my Mexican charm Soy muy romántico (not to mention she has the sexiest eyes in all of Mexico which is an added bonus you won’t read in any brochures!!!) I also loved how there was always a bright smile on your face and a dance routine just waiting to pop out at any moment (salsa or merengue you taught me both!!) thank you, thank you, thank you all of you for everything you did for me and my family… if it weren’t for all you fine folks it would just be another vacation… Star friends for life!!!!!!!

Room Tip: we stayed in building 63.. which is right next to one of the bars and the wave pool was perfect loca...
Dear friend,

On behalf of all our staff members we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort, Iberostar Paraiso Maya. We would also like to express our gratitude for the time you have taken to share your opinion of your stay at our resort.

We are delighted to have provided you with an outstanding holiday and are also pleased to hear that you were happy with our staff, delicious food, services and our beautiful and well-maintained grounds.

This is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay as they motivate us to improve our service daily. The most important thing for us is your full satisfaction, and we are really happy to know that we could reach or main goal.

Your comments regarding the kindness and effectiveness of our staff will also go far way in encouraging our team. We have passed your comments on to the staff you mentioned so that they can feel motivated to read such kind words about them.

With your most recent trip to Iberostar being so pleasurable, we are quite confident that you will be staying again at our hotel, and we hope you do, so we sincerely look forward to your next visit.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed April 20-27. We were booked to stay at the Lindo, were we stayed 3 ago, but got upgraded to the Maya side, which was a nice surprise. While the Maya and Lindo do share the same pool and bars, there are a few extra perks for staying on the Maya side (rooms are nicer, better restaurant choices, free WiFi in lobby).

ROOMS: The rooms are big and nice - Jr. Suite. We were in room 6164 (3rd level, building 61) by the pool. Great location! The bathroom has double vanity sinks, a separate shower and tub. The bathroom included a normal size newer hairdryer which worked just as good as mine at home. Never had any problem with the shower water pressure or temperature. The hallway outside the bathroom had 2 nice closets, both with shelves and enough hanging room for clothes. The mini refrig included several bottles of waters, soda, orange juice and beer and was restocked every day. Air conditioning worked good in the room and there are 2 ceiling fans. The room has been updated with a flat screen TV and there are many channels, however only a few in English, which included FOX News and CNN. The rooms were cleaned by 5 PM every day and spotless. Every day the maid left some type of towel art and we had turn down service on most nights as well.

One of the things I like about the Iberostar is that in every building you have your own concierge. You go to the concierge to make dinner reservations, if you have any problems or questions, or need anything for your room. There is someone at the desk from like 8 am to 11 pm. They are very nice and helpful. You can make dinner reservations for the whole week at one time.

RESTAURANTS/BARS – We ate at 5 of the restaurants and ate at the buffet 2 of the nights. The 5 restaurants we went to: Japanese, French, Cajun, Steak, and Mexican (listed from our favorite to least favorite). Service at Mexican was slow and food was okay, although my husband did like his grilled lobster. Japanese was awesome and so yummy – you got to choose 3 meats and your choices were chicken, steak, lobster, shrimp, scallops, and octopus. We loved the filet mignon at the French restaurant, the portion size was a little small for the guys, but they let us order another entrée of it. So that was great! Cajun restaurant at yummy coconut fried shrimp as an appetizer and the entrees were good too. Steak was decent, we all got the ribeye steaks. The breakfast buffets were good – you can either visit the buffet down by the pool or up in the main lobby. The main lobby has a bigger selection, but the one by the pool is less crowded. The Snake bar in the Maya lobby was our favorite bar to visit in the evening. They usually have music playing. The swim-up bar in the pool is huge. Bring your own thermal cup for your drinks! Be sure to check out the ice cream palor above the swimup bar for a yummy afternoon cool treat!

We spent most of our day at the beach and would head to the pool around 3 or 4. We did have to get up and reserve a palapas on the beach by about 7 am. There were always plenty of chairs just the ones in the shade would fill up. The snack bar at the beach was convenient if you didn’t want to go to the restaurant at the pool for lunch. At the beach you could get burgers, fries, jalapeno poppers, rice, fresh fruit. There was always a waitress taking drink orders if you didn’t want to walk up to the beach bar. You will also encounter a few vendors on the beach. If you don’t want to be bothered they leave you alone, although we did buy Oakley sunglasses, swimsuit wrap and jewelry from some.

The Iberostar has a great stretch of beautiful blue water beach, which is shared with all 5 Iberostars. Very sandy and nice swimming area. There is one area with some bigger rocks, but other than that no seaweed and good for swimming. They have kayaks that you can take out if it isn’t too rough that day. My husband likes to spend all his time playing in the waves and ocean.

Also, be sure to check out the Iberostar shopping complex across the street from the resorts. It has a variety of shops, nightclub for children and adults, and several places to grab food – hamburger diner, ice cream and crepe place, and a taco place – all included, no additional fee. They also offer music and entertainment on most nights at 6 or 7 p.m. We caught the Mayan show one night and it was really good and interesting to watch.

There is one gym on the Iberostar complex and it’s fairly big with decent equipment. Or if you prefer just to walk or run, all the pathways between the Iberostar complexes are nice for that. The grounds are beautiful and well kept.

Taxi ride into Playa del Carmen (5th Avenue) is $25 one way and it’s about a 20-25 ride south. It’s nice to go in the evening and do some shopping and just to people watch. The resort also arranges a shopping shuttle if you prefer to do that, but you are on their time schedule.

This was our 9th time to this area. Other hotels we stayed at were RIU Riviera Maya, Valentin Imperial Maya (2x), Catalonia Tulum, Barcelo Maya. If you are looking for Adults only try the Valentin. Iberostar is a good choice if traveling with kids.

Room Tip: We were in building 61 which was close to the pool, so very convenient.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Please accept our most sincere appreciations for choosing to be valued guests of our property, Iberostar Paraiso Maya. In addition, we are most grateful for the time you have taken to write a review for Trip Advisor about how your holiday went at our resort.

We are truly thrilled to understand from your gracious remarks that you had a memorable experience at our hotel and were also impressed with our staff and facilities. We will certainly congratulate all the staff for contributing to making your holiday special.

We genuinely hope to serve you again at Iberostar and therefore look forward to seeing you again at our hotel in the near future.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Maya...family of four (kids aged 8 and 4)...this was our first time there. We have traveled extensively over the years (both all inclusive as well as non) so we have a lot to compare this one to (most recently compared to stays last year at Four Seasons in Costa Rica and Beaches in Turks and Caicos).

The Facility: Top notch....very clean...bright...stimulating. Very well done and well maintained. Pools, Beach, Bars, etc....are very clean and well kept. Campus was huge....great to walk and bell boys were very open to pickups/drop-offs whenever desired.

The People: Very friendly and helpful with any request...definitely enjoy their jobs!

The Rooms: Very spacious, well maintained...maid crew must have come in at least 3 if not 4x per day to keep everything tidy. Second most disappointing feature of the facility though were the beds....very hard...not comfortable...also pillows smelled a bit even though room was well maintained. I highly recommend the re-evaluate these...at least in their higher end room options (we had a family suite). We were in building 61 on second floor in a two room family suite (if you get a "two room suite" be prepared that it is actually two rooms side by side with the middle door opened between the rooms).

The Food: Most disappointing for us...would give it a "Moderate" to "Poor" rating. We tried both the buffets and the plated restaurant meals...disappointed with both paths...found buffets to offer better choice/quality (and we are not buffet people). This was the biggest disappoint for us.

The Drinks: The bars had a lot of options....but.....(third disappointment) no consistency on drinks whatsoever...even with same bar tender could never get same drink made same way twice. They had no issues pouring a lot if you wanted a lot or a little if you wanted a little...problem was with consistency. They do offer higher quality drinks which is nice (eg. Bombay Sapphire).

The Entertainment: Plenty to choose from...well done here...something for everyone. We took a few excursions (XCarat, Xel-Ha, Swim with Dolphins)...all were arranged with the lobby tour guides upon arrival...these we all well done...from transportation to the actual facilities themselves...highly recommend taking advantage of a few of these excursions while there).

If you are ok with so so food I would recommend this for family, especially with younger kids...though we have checked this off our list and will most likely not return to this location or Iberostar again (unless we here different about food and beds).

Room Tip: All rooms have similar views of landscaped jungle...would suggest getting one closest to the pool/be...
Dear Customer,

Let us begin by extending our sincere appreciations for choosing our resort to spend your vacation and also for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community, your honest opinion of your stay.

We are very sorry to read that we could not fulfill your expectations. Regarding your comment about the beds, we keep a standard in all our beds when it comes to their firmness; nevertheless we also have toppers to soften the bed for those who find beds to be too firm. We have also the option of leaving extra pillows and extra blankets in the rooms upon the guest request, please if we have the opportunity to host you again, request it with the concierge. In any case of course we will talk to our Housekeeping Department, as mattresses and pillows are things that get replaced periodically.

Also, we will take into consideration your constructive comments about our food; we already shared it with our Executive Chef, who is always open to suggestions and makes daily efforts to improve our dining options.

Kind regards,
ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We visited this fabulous resort in February for the 3rd time and we loved it just as much as our first! We stayed in Building 60 which is a great location. Close to beach and the breakfast buffet restaurant. We loved that this year, they had a breakfast buffet just for the Mayan guests. Less wait and great service. Thank you for that.

Pros: Beach is fantastic. Pure white sand and no rocks. Waves are fun to play in as well. Food is fabulous. Never an issue with finding something to eat, always fresh and tasty. Rooms are great! The superior Jr. Suites are very roomie. Never an issue with being crowded for a family of 4.

Cons: Can't really think of any at this time. We had a fabulous week and we are planning on going back for a 4th time again in February.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior jr. suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya and for taking the time to share your review about your experience. Thank you so much for your loyalty!

We are glad that your holiday has been special for you and your family; this type of comments motivates us to keep providing an excellence service.

We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel and give you the excellent service that you and your family deserve.

Defiance, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We returned 5/10/13 and I rate the place the best all inclusive I have been to and I have been to that area over 12 times. The property was 1st rate and all of the help there from front desk to house cleaning etc. were extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was excellent, pool area was superb, and the food was great (lobster with eggs, lobster or Kobe beef burgers at lunch and everything from lobster, alaskan king crab, giant shrimp or rack of lamb at the different restaurants.) We usually had dinner at the theme restaurants and the only one I would fault is the Japanese grill, but if you have been to one Beni Hana type you have been to all of them. They served top shelf liquor (absolute, Jack Black, Jamieson, Grand Marnier etc.) I am not a novice at travel ( Europe 27 times, China, Mexico and extensively in the U.S.)

I read some of the negative reviews, but I wonder if those people were suffering from syphllis in the tertiary stage.

Room Tip: We had a Jr. suite with a private pool, but we never used the private pool.
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Maya for your vacation in Mexico. We would like to express our genuine appreciation for the time you have taken to share with us and the rest of the online community, your opinion of your experience.

We are extremely proud to understand from your comments that you had a great experience at our hotel!

Thank you again for your wonderful review; we wish to have the opportunity to host you and your family again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance.

Kind regards,

Iberostar México

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!