“big resort, friendly staff, and great expansive clean beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Chicago, Illinois
“big resort, friendly staff, and great expansive clean beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

overall, great resort, if you like a big resort with exceptional beach this is your place, pool and activities are also very good.

Rooms are clean, and staff is friendly.

Food is good quality, and alcohol is a bit watered down but overall good.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased to hear that we provided you with all the elements to enjoy your vacation.

We deeply appreciate reviews made by guests such as you, and believe in working hard to ensure that we maintain the high standards set by our guests and improve day by day.
We certainly look forward to having you back!

2,374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Polish first
Woodbury, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just returned from a one week's stay with three other families, celebrating our daughters' High School spring break. We all had a GREAT time. The hotel itself, the lobbies, the guest rooms, the numerous swimming pools are Magnificent! The beach is beautiful, with plenty of shaded huts, but, beware, the waves are pretty big and the ocean is not conducive to wading, but good for bogey-boarding.
The hotel is a half-hour car/bus ride from the Cancun airport, and you definitely should pre-arrange transportation. Check-in at the hotel front desk was a TWO HOUR nightmare. In fact, the front desk/reception was by far the weakest of any hotel that we have ever stayed at. Forget about getting change for your American dollar at the front desk; if you're lucky, the bellboys may make change for you. I don't know how the hotel expects you to tip their staff when the front desk does not provide change for large bills and there is no ATM in sight. While we're on the subject of tipping, we usually left only a couple of dollars at meals and for the bartenders, and I don't think they expected any more than this, after all it is an "all-inclusive." But the servers were grateful and were almost universally pleasant and courteous (unlike the front desk staff). Also note, we did not need to change any American dollars to Pesos. Everyone is happy to accept Dollars, even in the town of Playa del Carmen (we spent one cloudy afternoon/evening at Senor Frog's). So, bring lots of single dollar bills with you!
The buffet breakfasts and lunches were really good and, though the hotel was full, there were never long lines or crowds at the meals. I ate delicious guacamole (freshly mashed with chunks of ripe avocado) at EVERY breakfast and lunch! YUMMM...The dinners were good. We had dinners at El Museo (like sitting in Il Duomo), Le Etoile (very pretty French), the Steakhouse, and the Japanese Teppanyaki. Note you NEED reservations at each of these dinner restaurants.
Oh, we drank unlimited cocktails and wines/sparklings every night. No Grey Goose, but Absolut is fine, and lots of Tequila! My favorite shots were the Milagros Reposado. People were also drinking during the day at the pool bar and the beach bars, but how much can one imbibe, after all?
The housekeeping staff were EXCELLENT and the hotel was spotless. Maintenance were also pleasant and efficient. Note: the guest room air-conditioning can be adjusted by some central command station if the temp is too warm, it just takes a phone call to maintenance. We had great turn-down service every night. What else...
Oh, there is an adults-only complex of the Paraiso resort that has an exquisite swimming pool and beautiful guest rooms. This is definitely the place to stay if traveling without kids.
There is a really cool nightclub called the Galaxy, for those 18 and over (but too cool for anyone over 30). What else...
In summary: beautiful facility, good food and drink, great service (except the front desk), clean but wavy beach. And don't forget to bring lots of single dollar bills. Adios amigos...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure to hear what your impressions of our resort were on your recent visit.

We thank you as well for remembering the good service provided by our staff although we are taking into consideration your comments about our Front desk. We apologize about that and will be taking measures to avoid situations like this in the future.

Your positive review will certainly assist others who are considering our resort. It is our aim to provide a relaxing, enjoyable atmosphere and your review shows that we are on the right path.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Iberostar México.
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have to start out by saying that it may be our last time to return at spring break! We returned to the Maya for our 2nd time with our 4 teenage kids and our 7th time total to the other resorts including the Grand, the Beach & the Tucan/Quetzal. We have always chosen Iberostar resorts due to their strict spring break policy over the last 10 years of visiting Mexico. We had made one mistake a few years back and visited the Barcelo which was overrun with spring breakers and we were forced to move resorts after 2 days. I fear that this could happen to Iberostar and I will no longer risk it! We were lucky enough to be there the same time as 2 other large groups of high school seniors which has never been allowed in the past. I say "lucky enough" because these kids were much more behaved than what I have seen with large groups but this will definitely not always be the case! There were a few disgusting instances that will be expected with over-indulging seniors like hearing girls barfing in the pool bathroom to finding one of the restrooms totally disgusting from another intoxicated guest (which could have been anyone), but overall, Iberostar was lucky with these 2 groups. Upon check-out, I made the comment to the front desk gal about their change in the "spring break policy" and she simply replied, "we are under new management now!"

The reason that I still give the Maya a 4 star rating is because of the staff and the overall resort. I would not hesitate to return at other times of the year. I still feel that they have the best staff & in our case, our concierge was wonderful in building 61 by taking care of our reservations for dinner, golf, a misplaced towel, clogged shower or anything that we needed assistance with. I also feel that the food in the restaurants was not as good this time. I was impressed on our first visits by the quality of steak in the restaurants but this was not the case this time. But, food is never a huge deal for me with AI's as I never have too high of expectations and that way I'm never totally disappointed. However, no one should ever go hungry here! I could live off the fruit & cheeses alone!

The resort credits were nothing to get excited about! This was a new thing for us this time and I was under the impression that we could use them all for golf if we wanted, but they were very restrictive. My husband & boys were able to use (2) $50 coupons out of the $500 towards golf and the others were of little use to us. They played 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful course and had no trouble getting tee times for the four of them.

The beach is beautiful and we had no trouble getting chairs at any time but we are not typically shade seekers. I do prefer the layout of the Tucan/Quetzal in relation to the beach but my kids really like the larger size of the Paraiso complex better.

In conclusion, as a returning guest to Iberostar resorts, I am surprised how little they appreciate their loyal guests at this particular resort. I don't want to include the Grand, Beach or the Tucan/Quetzal in this statement because they have been wonderful to us on our repeat visits with various room upgrades, flowers, insulated mugs, wine or champagne & shirts. We book 2 rooms every time we come as a family and a fruit basket that draws ants is not the best thank-you to repeat guests! (Actually I think everyone gets that.) Maybe I am spoiled by our first time visits to Majestic, Excellence, & Palladium resorts and their appreciation for all of their guests. C'mon Iberostar...you do so many things so well, but don't change your standards at the Maya & please try to keep us longing to return!

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for being part of the Iberostar family.

We are really sorry about your comments about your last stay. The Iberostar hotels still have a policy for Spring breakers, we do not accept them. During the past weeks we did receive some groups, but all of them were family groups, teenagers travelling with their parents, family and friends. We are very sorry to hear that this time we were not able to provide what we do best which is the best experience ever for our guests.

You can be sure we will take your comments into consideration for the future. We do appreciate our loyal customers very much, so our deepest apologies for not making you feel special.

We really hope you give us another chance to stay at Paraiso Maya so we can change your point of view from your last stay and give you the excellent service you deserve.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back.

Quality Manger
Potomac, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was my first family trip to an all inclusive resort and if this place is any indication of other all inclusives we will never go to one again. There are so many areas where this resort completely fails. First the food was absolutely terrbile. There was no wifi in my room or around the majoirty of the resort. Getting towels is like pulling teeth. There is only one choice of beer and the alocohol was below sub par. This is a very large resort with limited transpotation to get around, so be prepared to do a lot of walking. Trust me and do not go.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let us begin by extending a special word of thanks for the opportunity you have given us by choosing to vacation at Iberostar Paraiso Maya. We are also very thankful for the time you have taken to share with us and the rest of the online community, how your holiday went at our hotel.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level concerning the food and beverage quality. We already shared it with the departments involved in order to look for improvement and enhance the quality.

With respect to your constructive comment about the internet service, we would like to inform you that we have this service in the lobby area and we have special packages to use it. The good news is that thanks to our guests comments, we will introduce wifi service at the end of this year in other areas of the hotel, including rooms.

Regarding your comment about the towels; the towel bar located at the pool area is one option, but Maya clients can get their towels also at the concierge desk and when you do not have a towel card, we provide one without any problem. However, we are taking your comments into account and have forwarded them to Management. Apologies if this service was uncomfortable for you.

We regret that the circumstances mentioned affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel. Some guests love the long walk around our beautiful grounds and other guests prefer to take a ride. We have a train going back and forth and we also have golf carts with our bell boys. We have just bought new golf carts for our guests comfort. You can also pre-program a ride with the Concierge and wait comfortably in your room until it arrives.

Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort you may have encountered during your stay with us, where you were left feeling you received less than industry standard service. We sincerely hope that we will once again be given the opportunity to welcome you back here.

Warm regards,

Potomac, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We just returned from a spring break trip at this NOT a five star resort. I have been at many all- inclusives in Riviera Maya, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic. Regular hotels all around the world. While, I will admit that my teenage children had fun, it was not because of the resort. It was simply because other friends were there to hangout with. Where do I begin? In no particular order....

Wifi Internet: Are you joking? There is literally ONE spot in the whole hotel where you can get onto the internet. It is comical to see people huddled into one corner of the main lobby slobbering for some connectivity. Dont leave your two by two space because the wifi will not work. Dont believe their explanations relative to this issue--there is not internet--BEWARE

Towels: ONE towel per person. You need a towel card. If someone takes your towel, they dont just "give you" another one as management claims. They pretty much cross examine you and deliver a serious warning about how you will be charged $20/towel. Give your guests towels!! Stop cheaping out and step up. You would amazed how much stress you are putting onto your guests. Everyone was talking about it.

Food: I have read other reviews addressing the food. I did not meet a single human being there that liked the food. We were there at the same time as approximately 70 people from our hometown. Including kids, everyone was joking about the food and how disgusting it was. We finally paid cabs to take us to Playa del Carmen for meals. We were paying for meals outside of an all inclusive!! The food quality at the hotel is below grade. I have lots of dogs and would not even feed it to them. With all due respect to the hotel, you seriously need to address this issue. Call the Mayakoba hotels and see what they do correctly.

Concierge: This person has absolutely no interest in helping you. I have read management responses and they continue to rave about their concierge service. It is a sad excuse for what should be better service. I will say that the female concierges were nice. The male concierge in building 60 is more concerned about quoting rules instead of taking care of guests. Really sad.

Alchohol: If you like below grade liquor, this is your place. There is no top shelf anything anywhere. Not even mid shelf. Dont believe them. As for Corona (if you enjoy it like me) good luck finding it! The main bar ran out and there isnt a single restaurant that has it. Someone in management must be dating the Dos Equis representative.

Transportation: Its almost funny. The Grand has 12 golf carts to take people around. The place was empty--pretty but empty. Well, except for the golf carts I guess. The Maya has 5 carts at the most. You will wait 15 minutes to get picked up except at the main lobby.

I could go on for awhile, but you get the point. This resort is to be avoided at all costs!! There are plenty of others in the Riviera Maya that offer all of the above for the same or less money. Iberostar should be ashamed of themselves.

Room Tip: Superior Jr. Suites are spacious, but dont get hung up on your room location because they will give...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for using this medium to talk about your vacation experience with us. We are disappointed to know that we were not able to meet your expectations for your vacation.

The Iberostar hotels are well known for their great know-how in the all inclusive industry at the Caribbean. We are between the 25th best resorts at the Travel & Leisure magazine for the second consecutive year. We also have different hotel categories that are suitable for different tastes. Mayacoba hotels belong to a higher category, as our Grand Collection resorts do.

However, this is not to say we do not need to keep working hard to maintain high quality standards; on the contrary. It is very frustrating to hear we could not provide you with a first class service during your stay. All your comments will be taken into consideration such as our towel card system and our culinary offer. The last thing we want is for our guests to leave our premises dissatisfied.

We have a training program in place to reinforce customer service in all our departments, and regarding internet, we will be introducing wifi service in all rooms and common areas of the resort at the end of this year.

Your feedback is truly important to us and we do listen. Only by doing so we can achieve your complete satisfaction. So thank you again for taking the time you have taken to write it. We hope that when you travel to Riviera Maya, you will give us the opportunity to host you once again at our resort to show you our improvements.

Kind regards,
Iberostar México
Salisbury, PA 15558
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel & grounds were simply amazing. Just breathtaking. Beautiful beach as well.
The staff was out of this world w/ service and kindness. We've never experienced such actual service. You don't get that just anywhere. We actually felt like king & queen for four days. Definitely worth the money.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraíso Maya and for sharing your experience with the Tripdavisor community. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us. We really appreciate all your comments!

We hope to welcome you back and enjoy another memorable stay with us.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our second visit to this Iberostar resort. (We stayed at the Lindo 4 years ago). My husband and I were there with our 17 year old daughter. We are seasoned "all inclusive" travellers (this is about our 10th trip to an AI) and this is the best resort that we have ever stayed at. We were a little nervous returning to Mexico (with all the drug violence) but we ended up having no issues at all with Mexico. We were there for 10 days in March 2013.

Arrival/departure - we travelled with Sunwing and found that the pick up/drop off was well organized and well executed. On arrival, we were told to collect our luggage, head through Customs, make sure not to stop at the Timeshare people and go toward the Sunwing Rep's for information on where our bus was located. It was good advice to stay focused on the Sunwing Rep as there were a lot of people trying to sell Timeshares! The only other thing I would provide advice on is to be careful about buying food in this area. My husband bought a Corona and ended up paying $7 US for one beer which is very expensive! The bus trip from the airport to the resort was about 30 - 45 minutes.

Resort Grounds - They were spectacular! Extremely well maintained and just beautiful. The whole resort (the Maya, Lindo, Beach, Del Mar) is HUGE but the good news is you really only need to stay on the Maya and Lindo parts of the resort. We find it is nice to have the option to be able to wander/walk around all 4 areas if you want to. Every morning my daughter and I would go for a 30 minute run around the resort and so it was nice to have the space to run. There is also a shopping centre area that is common to all 4 resorts. The shops were typical tourist shops. This is where the Spa is located, as well as the disco - there were 2 disco's, one for adults and one for teens up to 17 years old. Our daughter went to the teen disco a few nights and met up with some other teens but she found that there was no music or much else happening at the teen disco. We found it was safe enough to let our daughter go out on her own from about 10:00pm to midnight. The whole resort area is "gated" so we found it to be very safe.

Restaurants - In staying at the Maya, we were able to make reservations every night at an A la Carte restaurant. We went to French, Mediteranian, Seafood, Mexican, Japanese, Steakhouse restaurants. Some of them were part of the Maya resort and some were part of the Lindo. We booked all our dinners through the concierge, who is located within each block of rooms. Having a Concierge almost right outside your room is a luxury that makes reservations or other issues very easy to deal with (the Lindo also has a Concierge for each block of rooms). We found the restaurants were all excellent and would recommend them all. The service was very good at all restaurants (the A la Carte and the buffet restaurants).

Room - Our room was nice. It was well laid out and relatively updated. The only downside was we didn't have a cable box (so couldn't watch any english TV) for the first 6 days of our trip. Our room was 6512 which was a very good location. It was close to the Maya lobby (so close to the lobby bar and Maya restaurants) and also quite close to the Lindo Pool, which is where we spent most of our days!

Pools - We spent most of our days beside the Lindo Pool which is huge. There is the wave pool that is very close to the main pool as well as the Lazy River which is quite close to the main pool, too. The wave pool seems to attract mostly young families - the "waves" are active every hour during the day. The Lazy River is fun but there aren't too many tubes available so often people have to wait for a tube. Reserving of a pool lounger wasn't too bad. We would go out and set our towels down at about 8:30am and we would always find decent spots available. During lunch one day someone took one of our towels. They charge $20 for a lost towel, however, we were able to go to our lobby desk, explain that someone took our towel and they replaced our towel card, free of charge. Another day, someone also took my husband's Sudoku book and pen. It was only a dollar store book but was the first time we had ever had anything stolen! We were extra careful after that. As other people have said, the pool is really cold. It was so cold it was difficult for us to go into the pool. There are waitresses serving drinks around the pool deck which was very pleasant.

Staff - We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. The Animation staff were fabulous - Carlos, Rodrigo, Brigham, Aggie, and Paul were super friendly and we found it really interesting to get to know them and a little about their backgrounds. Compared to other resorts we've been to, the Animation staff were "family friendly" (ie - there was no rude or quasi-inapproriate banter). There were tons of daily activities from BINGO to bicycling to archery, etc, etc. We also got to know some of the wait staff who were all very happy to help and to practice their English. The gardeners were friendly - all the staff would exchange an "hola" or hello with us. I was actually very impressed with the consideration that Iberostar seems to have for their staff. In speaking with a number of staff members, it seems that staff are afforded with many opportunities when working for Iberostar. There was one bartender who we recognized from our last trip 4 years ago, he had been promoted to a better bar than when we were last there.

Environment - I was extremely impressed to see that Iberostar is promoting sustainability. There was information posted about the resort's focus on environmental sustainability and also there were a lot of garbages that included recycling bins and compost disposal bins. They are also trying to minimize usage of disposable glasses/straws.

Emergency/First Aid - At the beginning of our stay, we witnessed a fairly serious accident at one of the pool bars. I was very impressed to see the efficiency and effectiveness that the Lifeguards and security staff demonstrated in getting the situation under control (both in controlling the distraught bystanders and getting the girl onto a back board and giving her medical aid). Later in our trip I asked one of the lifeguards how the girl was and without giving me any personal details he said she had spent 3 days in the hospital but was going to be fine.

Other tips - When we travel we always take along a bubba keg (or travel coffee cup) as we find they are really handy to keep your drinks cold. We also take a small ball to use for playing catch in the pool. And, my favourite, I always take an inflatable mattress...for lounging in the pool or catching some waves in the ocean. We also always plan to budget for $10 of tips per day. We were very disappointed this trip to see that very few people seem to be tipping. We find that by budgetting a certain amount of tips per day - we know roughly how much we will spend on tips and it forces us to make sure that we are rewarding staff each day of our trip.

Room Tip: The 6500 block of rooms is close to the Maya restaurants and lobby bar and still close to the Lindo...
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for repeating your vacation at Iberostar and taking the time to share with the other travelers your experience about our property.

It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you recommend our hotel so much. We are working very hard to be able to offer our best to our clients in order to fulfill their expectations. We are very glad to hear that we succeeded. Your review will be an inspiration for us to keep on improving and to try to make all our guests as happy as you are.

We hope to welcome you back and enjoy another memorable stay with us

Iberostar México.

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!