“Fab all round” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
London, United Kingdom
“Fab all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were sceptical, but it was truly superb.

Food fab even lobsters and prawns a plenty
Drinks - internationally branded and no quibbles
Cleanliness, superb
Staff attentive and fun going

If there were a couple of things to change they would be

Wifi please
Allow the use of 2 beach towel per person to cover the whole sun bed

Don't think twice, the place was fab and safe. I have 3 demanding kids and they loved it as we'll as the wife

• Stayed August 2012
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear guest,

It is pleasure to hear you and your family enjoyed your vacations with us.
Thank you for your comments and your suggestions it will be taking in consideration in the future.
Hope to welcome you again very soon,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Polish first
Noblesville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We spent 7 wonderful days at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya the 1st week of November, 2012. Couldn't have had a more wonderful trip. The resort was beautiful. There were lots of little paths, fountains, statues, architecture to see and photograph as you traveled throughout the resort. We were in building 61 - which was close to the beach and away from noisier parts of the resort. It was always very quiet - day or night. We had a balcony that overlooked a jungle/ravine area which was quite peaceful. The concierge was only 2 rooms down from us and available from 7am to 11 pm to help with whatever was needed. We especially liked Caremen - who took care of us in a quick friendly manner!

We didn't meet anyone who didn't offer a friendly hola - from the bar staff, waiter staff, hostesses, grounds service, etc. The room was made up expertely every day. We left $5.00 on the pillow for the maid each day - a small price to pay for the hard work these ladies do every day. We also tiped the hostesses at the beach and pool who work very hard to bring you whatever drink you want. They keep them coming all throughout the day.

We made restaurant reservations for all 7 nights prior to our arrival based on recommendations from Trip Advisor reviews. We especially liked El Rancho and the La Marina and the appetizer buffet that was available prior to the main course which we ordered from the menu., The crab legs at La Marina were a big hit - very large, tasty and split so there were extremely easy to eat. The Gourmet L'etoile was great as there was a lot of rich food served and it was great to be given such individual attention. Couldn't even finished all that was served! We also ate at the El Rancho (steakhouse/ lobster), El Tapatio (mexican), and La Laguna (Italian), Jambayala (Cajun). I think ate lobster with almost every dinner meal!

The resort is very large but no more than a 5-10 minute walk to anywhere you wanted to go. We didn't visit they other resorts in this complex as they Maya had everything that we needed. The beach was semi-crowded each day but we never had trouble finding beach chairs. The ocean was mostly calm the beginning of the week and was great fun but got progressively rougher as the week went on. We would like to commend the very attentive lifeguard at the beach who keep a watch out for the (foolish) people who didn't realize the power of the waves the last day we were there and got swept out very far very quickly. Also he responded to a young boy who was swept into the rough surf and ran in to rescue him. Sadly I didn't get this lifeguards name, but he responded very professionally and very quickly.

I loved seeing the Coati's (small animals) who lived in the jungle along the walkway from the pool area to the beach. The were cute and inquisitve as well as begging for food. There were signs to not feed them, but if you did anyway they did follow you for several yards wanting more as more and more came in to join the free lunch! They were fun to watch.

The only negative that I experienced was the free wi-fi in the Snake bar. We never did get a signal there and had to sit in the lobby area to get a signal.

All in all this resort was a great vacation. We would not hesitate to recommend the Iberostar brand with high praise. Thanks for a great week of fun, sun and over indulgence!

Room Tip: make dinner resrevations prior to arrival - and bring $1 to tip the hard working servers.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with the other travelers your stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

It is a great satisfaction to hear you had a good time and enjoyed our areas, restaurants, beach, etc.
As per your comment about the internet problems at the Lobby bar, the information has been forward to the hotel management in order to fix this situation.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Best regards

Lancaster,PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just got back from spending a week at Paraiso Maya (November 9-16) and our group had a great time. All of the comments you read about the immaculate condition of the resort and the wonderful attitude of the staff....I found all of these to be true.
Let me get to the heart of the review. I have found that what a descriptor really means can often make a difference in your review of the resort. For example last year I stayed at an "Eco-Friendly" resort. Translated that ment they didn't cut back the jungle, and didn't spray for bugs! This year I stayed at a "Family Friendly" resort which translated to far too many small children for an adult vacation. If you travel and feel you must or from an economic perspective must take the small children along....this is the resort for you.
I am not a grumpy old man that can't stand children. I have five wonderful grandchildren all under 8 years old. However, when on vacation with other adults I don't care to see small children running around naked by the pool, to hearing children crying while eating dinner at one of the reservation only restaurants (all very good by the way), finding messy disposable diapers under a chair by the pool, being down wind of children throwing sand on the beach, or sitting next to a five year old at the Snake Bar at 11:00 at night. None of what I stated is the fault of the management of the resort, as they provide tons of things for small children to do. There are even play areas for the toddlers.
OK...if you can ignore the kids and want to come, you might want to play golf. Don't be thrown off by the on-line cost of almost $200.00. If you stay at the Iberostar Complex you can play for around $50.00. You can rent premium Ping clubs for $65.00 or an old set of Nike's (some in very bad condition, others, not so bad) for $40.00. The course is long, challenging, and will eat balls. However if you are used to good or decent courses back home this course is certainly worth playing. Avoid the afternoon heat if at all possible...even in November the sun was brutal.
As noted above, the specialty restaurants are as good as most finer restaurants back home. The Steak and Seafood restaurants you can make a meal on the appetizers alone. The buffet is OK, but even the most picky should find something good with all the choices. Watch the kids as I saw children try something and put it back in the serving area! Where are the parents?
I didn't get a massage but one of our group said he had a wonderful deep tissue experience and wanted me to include the comment if I posted something to TA.
Would I recommend the resort...absolutely. The complex as a whole is great. The place does get a little dead at night after the "show" is finished I guess because children and parents go to bed. Maybe next time I'll go the "adults only" Grande (the top resort at the complex) and my review will include less whine.

Room Tip: Try to get a first floor room as the steps can get slippery when they get wet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are glad to hear that you had a good time even if you were looking for a more peace and calm vacation and in this case, we definitely suggest the Iberostar Grand for your next visit.

We are also glad you enjoyed the Golf course, it is one of the best courses at the Riviera Maya and your comments will be forwarded to the Golf manager.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for your future stay.

new hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you're looking for a very large, very kid friendly all inclusive somewhere between Cancun and Playa Del Carman, you could do worse than this hotel. My impression is that this hotel is really designed to create the illusion for middle class families with kids to feel like they are experiencing Mexico in an opulent, luxurious fashion, but without taking whatever small risks may be associated by stepping out of the resort and actually experiencing the culture first hand.
There is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy the beautiful beaches of this area in total comfort and with an endless supply of meals and drinks. The lobbies and hallways of the hotel are enormous, impressive, and impeccably clean. The faux Mayan design is on a grand scale and is really quite evocative. The rooms are huge and generously appointed, if slightly worn at the edges. The food at the buffets is not so great (breakfast excepted- GREAT selection), but the food at the slightly ridiculous Disneyfied "foreign" restaurants is pretty good. The French one had the best food with the Japanese steakhouse running a close second.
The beach area is nice, but felt a bit crowded. The other issue I had on the beach is the incessant smoking- worst of all the cigars! Hello, no one is impressed, you know you are not really enjoying it that much, you do not come off as a "living large" Rush Limbaugh or Fidel Castro or whoever, you just look like a sucker who got ripped off buying cheap cigars from a beach hustler in a Mexican tourist town, and by the way you are ticking off everyone else in a fifty yard radius of your chair!!! Please, just enjoy the fresh air, sunshine, and beautiful water instead. Ok, sorry. Had to get that off my chest...
The nightlife at the hotel was a bit subpar- they have a cheezy euro-style disco and tacky tourist shows in their theater. There is a sports bar where you might be able to catch your game or do karaoke. The large lobby bars are very cool, but were surprisingly lifeless most evenings I was there. They do have shuttles that run semi-regularly to Playa Del Carman and the cab fare to Cancun or Playa is fairly reasonable. It's about twenty minutes or so to either town.
The vast majority of the hotel employees were VERY friendly and helpful. The concierges in my building, 62, were phenomenal. The only problem I ran into was with the front desk. This hotel does not cater to independent travellers at all. I had rented a car from an outside company and notified the desk and the lobby concierge that they were coming and at what time. They assured me there would be no problem and the guy could bring the car right in. After waiting and waiting and trying to call with my own phone, I finally got through and it turned out the rental car guy had been waiting out at the security gate for over a half hour because he wasn't allowed in. I went to complain to the manager at the desk and he STILL would not allow the guy in, gave me an attitude, and did not even offer to bring me out there, so I had to walk the best part of a mile to the gate with all my stuff in the 90 degree heat to get my car. One other somewhat disappointing aspect of the hotel is that you can only use your computers in the front lobby and to get a high speed line in your room is $15 per day. Not a very up to date policy, in my view.
So all in all, while this would not be my personal first choice for a hotel in this area, there are a million ways to enjoy yourself here, and overall I had an excellent time in spite of the criticisms. You can't really go wrong here and if you are getting a good deal, I would go for it. It's the kind of place where anyone should be able to have a good time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to share your review on this website. We appreciate your comments about the grounds, room, restaurants/food and the most important of all, our staff. We are sorry about your inconvenience at the front desk, we will make some adjustments in order to avoid this to happen again.
We wish to have the opportunity to host you and your family again in a near future.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just returned from a one week stay at the Iberostar Pariso Maya. Because I rely on TripAdvisor reviews so much when I am planning my vacations, I thought it only fair that I finally write my first review on here for everyone else's benefit.

Summary:

- The grounds are simply beautiful. No complaints here. Everything is very well maintained and given the size of this resort, I was very impressed at how clean and beautiful everything looked.

- The resort is HUGE. If you have difficulty walking or like to have all amenities close by, this might not be the resort for you. You can however ask the concierge for a shuttle to and from locations within the resort, but it takes about 10 mins for the shuttle to arrive. Personally I would find this a pain, so would rather stay somewhere smaller if I had concerns about walking.

- The beach was nice. Some rocks in the ocean which you need to avoid when entering, but overall nice.

- Our room was spacious and clean. My only complaint would be the lighting in the bathrooms. The lighting is very dim and poor; not ideal for ladies when applying make-up, etc. This really bothered me when getting ready.

- The food was pretty good. The breakfast buffet was good, something for everyone here. We weren't a fan of the dinner buffet and thankfully only ate there once. The a la carte restaurants are definitely much better than the buffet, so I would suggest making reservations at the restaurants each night. We ate at the Japanese (twice), Steakhouse and French restaurants. All were pretty good, we enjoyed all of our meals.

- The service was generally good. Most of the staff were friendly and polite, there were just a few that were a big grumpy.

- The entertainment was ok. A couple of the shows were good and a couple were really cheesy and bad. NOTE: If you are going on vacation without children, I would DEFINITELY recommend going to Coco Bongo in Playa Del Carment; it was AMAZING! It is a Vegas type show/nightclub and I have never seen anything like it before. You can Google it if you're not sure, but I would defintely take the trip into Playa and check it out. Great for people of all ages.

- Golf course is amazing. One of the most beautiful courses we've every golfed at. Very well manicured. If you are a golfer, you should definitely golf here.

Overall it was a nice holiday. I would stay here again without any reservations or concerns. If you are going to stay here, you should expect a very large resort with lot's of walking. If this isn't your preference, I would suggest you stay somewhere smaller.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review.
Our main goal is our guests full satisfaction, our aim is to impress our guests with the finest amenities and food, so it was so rewarding to read your review.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel and we thank you in advance for your loyalty.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at rplindo.maya@iberostar.com.mx for any assistance. We are at your service.

Quality Manager
Iberostar México
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just returned from a great week at the Maya. We arrived Friday 11/2 after Hurricane Sandy, glad JFK was operational. Hotel is about 20-25 min from airport, not bad. The Maya lobby is so beautiful, the whole resort overall was clean and well maintained. We requested and got Bldg 63 overlooking the wave pool, very centrally located. My kids enjoyed the non-stop activities, always something to do (much different from Iberostar in Jamaica). Glad we chose the Maya as the rooms were large enough for our family to spread out, and the changing area had plenty of storage for clothing. We did play the washcloth/towel game with housekeeping the first 2 days, 4 people, but 1 or 2 washcloths, so I asked our Bldgs concierge how to say it in Spanish and left a note in the bathroom and didn't have a problem after that. Our room was on the end so our balcony wrapped around, most balconies had a swing (kids used it more than I did). Make ala carte reservations on your first day, actually we made ours via email before arriving, our favorite was La Marina, the seafood was very fresh, we ate there twice. No rush for sun beds, unless you wanted to be near the Star Friends, those went pretty quickly. But there are so many places to sit and enjoy the weather. The only negative I would say is there are no ocean views, hotel sits back from the beach and you have to take a short path to the beach. The beach in front of the Maya was warmer than the pool and you could walk out 15 feet and the water would still be at your waist. We hit the beach everyday, the water was clear and you could see little silver fish swim by. Shows were ok, we only saw 2 complete shows as we were exhausted most nights. We visited the shopping center, loved the tacos there, better than at the hotel. There was also a Johhny Rockets style restaurant and disco. Great property, we met some great people and I would definitely return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your vacation, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

Our main goal, is to offer the best vacation experience to our guests, and reading your comments makes us feel extremely proud. Thank you very much for all the positive points and the negative one that you mentioned. We will be happy to have you back in a near future.

glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

stayed for two weeks mid to late october and had a terrific holiday. All staff absolutely wonderful. could not be more helpful. Welcome by bellboys and then reception an example of service throughout 2 weeks. Room, all common areas, gardens and pools spotless. we watched the chap clean tiles round pools daily( never seen that before) breakfast very relaxing as no rush to get sunbeds.All other meals very good and chefs always asking if we needed anything else. Chaps serving in buffet could give details of food they were serving which I found helpful. Bar staff at all 4 bars excellent as we tried all for a bit of variety. Tended to start evening at Beach(cigar allowed and didn't feel like outcast) and then went to Lindo for piano and then Maya. Fabiola? at pool always remembered what we drank without asking and also enjoyed ice cream parlour(this was our lunch as too much food for us to eat all meals) weather was perfect for us and as hotel was not full we enjoyed the ambience. Planning on returning next october as summer too hot. Beds perfect and didn't have sore back for two whole weeks.

Room Tip: we found block 63 handy for pool and restruants but as we enjoy a little walk it did not appear as...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to hear you had a great vacation at our hotel and enjoyed the areas, restaurants, pool, beach, etc.
We will be pleased to welcome you back in your next vacations.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!