“Too Many Kids!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lancaster,PA
“Too Many Kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just got back from spending a week at Paraiso Maya (November 9-16) and our group had a great time. All of the comments you read about the immaculate condition of the resort and the wonderful attitude of the staff....I found all of these to be true.
Let me get to the heart of the review. I have found that what a descriptor really means can often make a difference in your review of the resort. For example last year I stayed at an "Eco-Friendly" resort. Translated that ment they didn't cut back the jungle, and didn't spray for bugs! This year I stayed at a "Family Friendly" resort which translated to far too many small children for an adult vacation. If you travel and feel you must or from an economic perspective must take the small children along....this is the resort for you.
I am not a grumpy old man that can't stand children. I have five wonderful grandchildren all under 8 years old. However, when on vacation with other adults I don't care to see small children running around naked by the pool, to hearing children crying while eating dinner at one of the reservation only restaurants (all very good by the way), finding messy disposable diapers under a chair by the pool, being down wind of children throwing sand on the beach, or sitting next to a five year old at the Snake Bar at 11:00 at night. None of what I stated is the fault of the management of the resort, as they provide tons of things for small children to do. There are even play areas for the toddlers.
OK...if you can ignore the kids and want to come, you might want to play golf. Don't be thrown off by the on-line cost of almost $200.00. If you stay at the Iberostar Complex you can play for around $50.00. You can rent premium Ping clubs for $65.00 or an old set of Nike's (some in very bad condition, others, not so bad) for $40.00. The course is long, challenging, and will eat balls. However if you are used to good or decent courses back home this course is certainly worth playing. Avoid the afternoon heat if at all possible...even in November the sun was brutal.
As noted above, the specialty restaurants are as good as most finer restaurants back home. The Steak and Seafood restaurants you can make a meal on the appetizers alone. The buffet is OK, but even the most picky should find something good with all the choices. Watch the kids as I saw children try something and put it back in the serving area! Where are the parents?
I didn't get a massage but one of our group said he had a wonderful deep tissue experience and wanted me to include the comment if I posted something to TA.
Would I recommend the resort...absolutely. The complex as a whole is great. The place does get a little dead at night after the "show" is finished I guess because children and parents go to bed. Maybe next time I'll go the "adults only" Grande (the top resort at the complex) and my review will include less whine.

Room Tip: Try to get a first floor room as the steps can get slippery when they get wet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are glad to hear that you had a good time even if you were looking for a more peace and calm vacation and in this case, we definitely suggest the Iberostar Grand for your next visit.

We are also glad you enjoyed the Golf course, it is one of the best courses at the Riviera Maya and your comments will be forwarded to the Golf manager.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for your future stay.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Polish first
new hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

If you're looking for a very large, very kid friendly all inclusive somewhere between Cancun and Playa Del Carman, you could do worse than this hotel. My impression is that this hotel is really designed to create the illusion for middle class families with kids to feel like they are experiencing Mexico in an opulent, luxurious fashion, but without taking whatever small risks may be associated by stepping out of the resort and actually experiencing the culture first hand.
There is certainly nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy the beautiful beaches of this area in total comfort and with an endless supply of meals and drinks. The lobbies and hallways of the hotel are enormous, impressive, and impeccably clean. The faux Mayan design is on a grand scale and is really quite evocative. The rooms are huge and generously appointed, if slightly worn at the edges. The food at the buffets is not so great (breakfast excepted- GREAT selection), but the food at the slightly ridiculous Disneyfied "foreign" restaurants is pretty good. The French one had the best food with the Japanese steakhouse running a close second.
The beach area is nice, but felt a bit crowded. The other issue I had on the beach is the incessant smoking- worst of all the cigars! Hello, no one is impressed, you know you are not really enjoying it that much, you do not come off as a "living large" Rush Limbaugh or Fidel Castro or whoever, you just look like a sucker who got ripped off buying cheap cigars from a beach hustler in a Mexican tourist town, and by the way you are ticking off everyone else in a fifty yard radius of your chair!!! Please, just enjoy the fresh air, sunshine, and beautiful water instead. Ok, sorry. Had to get that off my chest...
The nightlife at the hotel was a bit subpar- they have a cheezy euro-style disco and tacky tourist shows in their theater. There is a sports bar where you might be able to catch your game or do karaoke. The large lobby bars are very cool, but were surprisingly lifeless most evenings I was there. They do have shuttles that run semi-regularly to Playa Del Carman and the cab fare to Cancun or Playa is fairly reasonable. It's about twenty minutes or so to either town.
The vast majority of the hotel employees were VERY friendly and helpful. The concierges in my building, 62, were phenomenal. The only problem I ran into was with the front desk. This hotel does not cater to independent travellers at all. I had rented a car from an outside company and notified the desk and the lobby concierge that they were coming and at what time. They assured me there would be no problem and the guy could bring the car right in. After waiting and waiting and trying to call with my own phone, I finally got through and it turned out the rental car guy had been waiting out at the security gate for over a half hour because he wasn't allowed in. I went to complain to the manager at the desk and he STILL would not allow the guy in, gave me an attitude, and did not even offer to bring me out there, so I had to walk the best part of a mile to the gate with all my stuff in the 90 degree heat to get my car. One other somewhat disappointing aspect of the hotel is that you can only use your computers in the front lobby and to get a high speed line in your room is $15 per day. Not a very up to date policy, in my view.
So all in all, while this would not be my personal first choice for a hotel in this area, there are a million ways to enjoy yourself here, and overall I had an excellent time in spite of the criticisms. You can't really go wrong here and if you are getting a good deal, I would go for it. It's the kind of place where anyone should be able to have a good time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to share your review on this website. We appreciate your comments about the grounds, room, restaurants/food and the most important of all, our staff. We are sorry about your inconvenience at the front desk, we will make some adjustments in order to avoid this to happen again.
We wish to have the opportunity to host you and your family again in a near future.

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just returned from a one week stay at the Iberostar Pariso Maya. Because I rely on TripAdvisor reviews so much when I am planning my vacations, I thought it only fair that I finally write my first review on here for everyone else's benefit.

Summary:

- The grounds are simply beautiful. No complaints here. Everything is very well maintained and given the size of this resort, I was very impressed at how clean and beautiful everything looked.

- The resort is HUGE. If you have difficulty walking or like to have all amenities close by, this might not be the resort for you. You can however ask the concierge for a shuttle to and from locations within the resort, but it takes about 10 mins for the shuttle to arrive. Personally I would find this a pain, so would rather stay somewhere smaller if I had concerns about walking.

- The beach was nice. Some rocks in the ocean which you need to avoid when entering, but overall nice.

- Our room was spacious and clean. My only complaint would be the lighting in the bathrooms. The lighting is very dim and poor; not ideal for ladies when applying make-up, etc. This really bothered me when getting ready.

- The food was pretty good. The breakfast buffet was good, something for everyone here. We weren't a fan of the dinner buffet and thankfully only ate there once. The a la carte restaurants are definitely much better than the buffet, so I would suggest making reservations at the restaurants each night. We ate at the Japanese (twice), Steakhouse and French restaurants. All were pretty good, we enjoyed all of our meals.

- The service was generally good. Most of the staff were friendly and polite, there were just a few that were a big grumpy.

- The entertainment was ok. A couple of the shows were good and a couple were really cheesy and bad. NOTE: If you are going on vacation without children, I would DEFINITELY recommend going to Coco Bongo in Playa Del Carment; it was AMAZING! It is a Vegas type show/nightclub and I have never seen anything like it before. You can Google it if you're not sure, but I would defintely take the trip into Playa and check it out. Great for people of all ages.

- Golf course is amazing. One of the most beautiful courses we've every golfed at. Very well manicured. If you are a golfer, you should definitely golf here.

Overall it was a nice holiday. I would stay here again without any reservations or concerns. If you are going to stay here, you should expect a very large resort with lot's of walking. If this isn't your preference, I would suggest you stay somewhere smaller.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review.
Our main goal is our guests full satisfaction, our aim is to impress our guests with the finest amenities and food, so it was so rewarding to read your review.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel and we thank you in advance for your loyalty.
Please do not hesitate to contact us at rplindo.maya@iberostar.com.mx for any assistance. We are at your service.

Quality Manager
Iberostar México
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just returned from a great week at the Maya. We arrived Friday 11/2 after Hurricane Sandy, glad JFK was operational. Hotel is about 20-25 min from airport, not bad. The Maya lobby is so beautiful, the whole resort overall was clean and well maintained. We requested and got Bldg 63 overlooking the wave pool, very centrally located. My kids enjoyed the non-stop activities, always something to do (much different from Iberostar in Jamaica). Glad we chose the Maya as the rooms were large enough for our family to spread out, and the changing area had plenty of storage for clothing. We did play the washcloth/towel game with housekeeping the first 2 days, 4 people, but 1 or 2 washcloths, so I asked our Bldgs concierge how to say it in Spanish and left a note in the bathroom and didn't have a problem after that. Our room was on the end so our balcony wrapped around, most balconies had a swing (kids used it more than I did). Make ala carte reservations on your first day, actually we made ours via email before arriving, our favorite was La Marina, the seafood was very fresh, we ate there twice. No rush for sun beds, unless you wanted to be near the Star Friends, those went pretty quickly. But there are so many places to sit and enjoy the weather. The only negative I would say is there are no ocean views, hotel sits back from the beach and you have to take a short path to the beach. The beach in front of the Maya was warmer than the pool and you could walk out 15 feet and the water would still be at your waist. We hit the beach everyday, the water was clear and you could see little silver fish swim by. Shows were ok, we only saw 2 complete shows as we were exhausted most nights. We visited the shopping center, loved the tacos there, better than at the hotel. There was also a Johhny Rockets style restaurant and disco. Great property, we met some great people and I would definitely return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your vacation, we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Iberostar Paraiso Maya.

Our main goal, is to offer the best vacation experience to our guests, and reading your comments makes us feel extremely proud. Thank you very much for all the positive points and the negative one that you mentioned. We will be happy to have you back in a near future.

glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

stayed for two weeks mid to late october and had a terrific holiday. All staff absolutely wonderful. could not be more helpful. Welcome by bellboys and then reception an example of service throughout 2 weeks. Room, all common areas, gardens and pools spotless. we watched the chap clean tiles round pools daily( never seen that before) breakfast very relaxing as no rush to get sunbeds.All other meals very good and chefs always asking if we needed anything else. Chaps serving in buffet could give details of food they were serving which I found helpful. Bar staff at all 4 bars excellent as we tried all for a bit of variety. Tended to start evening at Beach(cigar allowed and didn't feel like outcast) and then went to Lindo for piano and then Maya. Fabiola? at pool always remembered what we drank without asking and also enjoyed ice cream parlour(this was our lunch as too much food for us to eat all meals) weather was perfect for us and as hotel was not full we enjoyed the ambience. Planning on returning next october as summer too hot. Beds perfect and didn't have sore back for two whole weeks.

Room Tip: we found block 63 handy for pool and restruants but as we enjoy a little walk it did not appear as...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Paraiso Maya, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to hear you had a great vacation at our hotel and enjoyed the areas, restaurants, pool, beach, etc.
We will be pleased to welcome you back in your next vacations.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar for 3 nights (not long enough!) for a wedding Nov. 2nd.

This was my first 'all inclusive' experience. As far as value goes, well, I'd say in regards to all the free drinks (read: alcohol...or in my case, Mojitos) it was a good deal. The food however...

Food:

~Breakfast buffet: very good. Can't go wrong with breakfast food at most places
~Lunch/Dinner: not good. Very bland, dry.
~Room service: The worst! Do not, I repeat, do not order room service. The 'pizza' and the rest of our order was so bad we started laughing about it. And I left all of it. And I LOVE pizza.

We spent all day Sunday at Xel-Ha and ate there. Now THAT lunch/dinner buffet was great! Highly recommend you sign up in the lobby for that excursion.

Moving on...

The rooms were beautiful. Huge. But also really really loud. Did not sleep well as you can hear everything outside room and beds are hard and bedding is not comfortable.

The grounds and pool and beach were beautiful.

The employees were all very friendly, HOWEVER...

Do NOT misplace a towel card or room key or it's your @$$!

I live in the good ole USofA where when you leave a hotel you can leave your room key in the room and head on out. Not here. You MUST bring them to the front desk upon checkout. We didn't. So we had to trolley back to our room (a good mile away it seemed) to get them. Then, we had misplaced one of the 2 towel cards they give you (you exchange them for towels on the beach/pool). It's a BEACH vacation..one 'may' pop out of your shorts or bag and get lost. No big deal right? WRONG!

I couldn't find one of the towel cards upon checking out. It's a huge resort. I figured it fell out somewhere. I told this to the front desk person (it was a male and it was early Monday morning 11/5/12 if mgmnt is reading this) and we were chastised like children for misplacing it! I heard my boyfriend being scolded. My boyfriend said he'd pay to replace it and the man said "that's not the point." What?? So I walked right up and told the guy we didn't have it. He said "my question to you is where is it?" I said flat out and angry at this point "We have paid to be here on a VACATION, there is a beach and a pool and a lot of VACATIONING about and things happen. It must have fallen out and is gone." He was silent. And then our taxi came.

Bottom line:

Lovely hotel.
Eat breakfast there and rest of meals elsewhere.
Tip for drinks so they make em good (at the beach bar).
And DO NOT LOSE A TOWEL CARD lest you receive a verbal spanking upon checkout!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments, they are very important to us. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and will take much in consideration your comments about meals, room and the towel card. We are sorry with your trouble at check out with the towel card, we will be checking this issue also.
Hope you come back once more so we can have a chance to change some of the impressions of the hotel.

Kind regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico
Newton Le Willows, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We travelled to the Iberstar Maya on the 6th Oct for 2 weeks
The Flight – We went as always with first choice. We paid the extra for prem class, for the extra leg room etc. but the seat were very uncomfortable plus the couple who was sat in front of us on the way out had their seats right back from take off to landing the full 11hrs….. so please if you’re thinking of putting you seat back even in prem seats think about the people behind….!!!!! there’s not only you on the plane…... Some people just think of them self’s….get a grip ….on the way back they were two seats in front of us…I would of paid for them to be behind us…and they did the same too the poor old couple behind them again….The poor woman couldn’t move when the plane landed in Manchester….selfish ******’s
The Hotel is beautiful. The rooms were lovely. We were in block 63, its about half way between the beach and lobby, close to the pool but remember this place is huge so it a longish walk were ever you are. We’ve been to different places and Hotels in the Caribbean for the last 5 years but the Maya is the best we’ve been to but its the newest as well saying that…!!. The private pools are a lovely touch….This is the 3rd Iberostar hotel we’ve been to and I must say they take some beating they’re so very well run ….
The Maya and Lindo are basically the same hotel but with different lobby bars and receptions in fact I think we spent more time in the Lindo side then the Maya because the theatre and main buffet are on the Lindo side…
We did all the restaurants. Steak house lovely try the ribs on the buffet starter delightful - Cajon lovely. We’re not lovers of Sea food but tried it and it was ok .Japanese restaurant – lovely. Didn’t like the gourmet / French but again we tried it. A good tip don’t order you mains meals until you’ve had your buffet starter else they come half through your starter and it ends in a bit of a rush. We like taking our time between courses but that’s us…Buffet – there’s was always something to eat. There is a main meat or fish dish every night were the chef cuts you a slice off. Please please try the beef oh my god it melts in your mouth. The bar and the bar staff are all first class. They'll make you anythng you ask for plus in the main bar they got all the top named drinks
The hotel and grounds are beautifully kept. The workers are first class they never stop and always have time to smile and say hello. The lobby bar at the Maya is absolutely stunning; the attention to detail is unreal. The star friend’s shows at night were very good. They put so much effort in.
This is the first time we’ve been so late in the year due to work but we couldn’t have picked a better time to go. Like I've already said this Hotel is huge but it was at best only a quarter full, it got a bit busier at the weekends but not much and it was heaven…no getting up at stupid times just to get sunbeds….We’d roll out of bed at 10ish have a later breakfast walk down to the beach till mid-afternoon then go round the pool and have our pick of sunbeds it was heaven but on the same point I wouldn’t like to be there when its full… it would be a different holiday totally I bet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear client,

On behalf of all our staff members we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at our lovely resort, Iberostar Paraiso Maya. We would also like to express our gratitude for the time you have taken to share with us and the rest of the online community, your opinion of your stay at our resort.
Having said that, we are delighted to have provided you with an outstanding holiday and are also pleased to hear that you were happy with our staff, delicious food, services and our beautiful well-maintained grounds.

With your most recent trip to Iberostar being so pleasurable, we are quite confident that you will be staying again at our hotel and therefore we sincerely look forward to your next visit.

Quality Manager
Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!