“As good as the first time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso Maya

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso Maya to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Pto Juarez km 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Manchester, Connecticut
“As good as the first time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Well we're back home after our 4th trip to this resort complex and our 3rd trip to the Maya specifically. My wife and I love this resort. This time we brought her sister for her first trip to Mexico.

Ok the review:
Our rooms were jr. suites which provide ample room to lounge in when you're not at the beach, pools, spa or shopping. Housekeeping for the resort is outstanding. Not only do they clean your room but it's a nice touch when you return after dinner and the entertainment to have you bed turn down for you. The origami with the towels are always interesting.
One of the first things we did was schedule a massage. The spa building is beautiful. They have heated pools, a sauna, a steam room, varied temperatures of whirlpools and jacuzzi's. The massage therapist are very good. If fact so good I got another massage the day before I left.

The food is good and the buffets vary daily. Food is available in various location around the resort so you don't have to walk far. I think the ice cream is really good. They also have specialty restaurants nightly which you can make reservation for.

This is a family resort so there are kids around. We didn't mine it a bit. The resort have areas and staff dedicated to the kids. And every night at the theater the kids are encourage to be a part of the show. They are the opening act so to speak. It's very entertaining watching them perform.

As I said in the beginning this is a great place to relax.

I also have to give a shout out to my travel agents-Tripguys.com. I've used them for 3 of my trips to Mexico. They took care of everything so the only thing I had to do was show up.

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

TJ-Manchester, CT

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

First let me say that this is our first time at an all-inclusive resort. We have traveled all over the world with our kids and stayed in some crummy and first class places. We lived overseas as well for a few years.

We arrived at the Paraiso Maya and asked to be in a certain building. No rooms were available in that building so we were upgraded to buidling 61 which is very close to the big pool. We were on the bottom floor and had two connecting rooms, one with a king and the other with two double beds. Our kids were 15 and 17 for this trip (boy and girl). We found the rooms to be large and very clean. The bathroom had a walk in shower, jucuzzi tub, and double sinks. The mattresses were a bit hard, but that was the only downside to this room. A mini fridge in the room was kept well stocked with sodas, beer, and bottled water. Staying in this location on the property was great. We had a short walk to the beach and largest pool.

The large pool with the swim up bar was great. It would really be a good pool for families with children of all different swimming abilities. At this time of year, the pool water was refreshing, but it got warm by the day's end. The pools were cleaned daily. The water was pretty clean considering people are drinking in and around the pool. Chairs near the pool were not to hard to come by unless you arrive in the late morning (after 11:00am).

The beach was great. This is a very wide and extensive beach. There are numerous chair lounges and permanently fixed umbrellas. The water temperature was perfect and the color of the water is extraordinary. There are two bars on the beach serving drinks and two snack bars. I was surprised at the quality of the food on the beach. There is a small restaurant type setup with picnic tables and hot/cold food areas for the food. We experienced the beach party one day when the staff made Paella. That was good!

I had read about the restaurants on Trip Advisor prior to going. My expectations were not high. You must make reservations for the restaurants early in your stay to get into the restaurants that you want and at the time you would like to dine. If I had not read reviews, I would not have known how valuable that information would be! The buffets at breakfast and lunch had a variety of food. The fruits, veges, and desserts were plentiful. The hamburgers, hotdogs, and tacos were worthwhile. You have choices for the buffets both air conditioned and open air. The afternoons were hot by the pool and we gave up eating in the open air restaurant mid-day. As far as specialty restaurants, I would recommend the Japenese and Steakhouse. Overall, the food was decent. If you are expecting five star, then this is not the place for you. Wine was served at dinner. Some wine was good and others were just ok. Ask about your choices.

We found the staff to be helpful and friendly. If we called for towels, etc it was no problem receiving them. Our room was cleaned well and in a timely manner. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. It can be a bit confusing at first finding your way around, but after a few days you figure things out. If you are not a walker, then this property can be a challenge. Bring a stroller if you have young kids! There is a shuttle system on golf carts, but that can be sporadic.

The entertainment at the hotel was fun. For adults, it's ok but we still enjoyed ourselves. My teenagers had fun doing the archery, volleyball, dance classes (girl), tennis lessons, driving range, etc. My daughter and I sing so we especially enjoyed doing the karoke!
The staff was a lot of fun and kept things rocking and rolling. The teen disco was a big disappointment. It is a great place, but no kids went there. I saw the adult disco during the day. It has a "space theme." It looked really simple and very outdated. The shopping center could be better utilized. I am not sure why they do not have more going on there. Perhaps it is because this is low season. The evening shows were fun, but we skipped a few. The staff tries hard to please, but do not come expecting Vegas or Broadway.

If you are in this area of Mexico, you are a bit limited on price competition for excursions. We stayed in Cancun 1 1/2 years ago and rented a car and drove to most of the Mayan ruins. It was so much cheaper and we had no problems at all. This time we decided to stay at the resort with the exception of a short trip to Playa del Carmen by taxi. Excursions are a bit overpriced.

Overall, we had a great time. One week was enough time to unwind and take advantage of the hotel. We took photos on the beach with Adventure photos. I had no idea that this was an option. We saw a family outside having pictures taken and then inquired about it. We came home with a cd with photos reasonably priced.

We would consider going to this resort again. We met other people who were repeat customers.

Cape Coral, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent an awesome week at the Maya. Please ignore any negative reviews..those people are crazy. It is very clean, organized and well run. The service is excellent. The food ranged from OK to very good depending on your taste..but we ate everything and drank the water and had no tummy problems. The animation team was so fun..even better than other all inclusives we had been to.The shows ranged from really cool to somewhat lame but were all family friendly. The bartenders were great whether you tipped or not. The maid cleaned our room 2-3 times a day. nice and clean pool and beach. We would definately return. I also reccomend the trip to tulum and xel-ha..it was the best day of our trip.

Room Tip: $50 upgrade to building 60 which is closest to bea
Marmaris, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The dream holiday?-YES YES YES! It was perfect in every way.The kids club was very handy when i wanted to relax. The meals were absoloutly amazing.It seemed ike we were spoilt for choice.The feeling we had when we saw monkeys and parrots in the trees while going to the beach was outstanding.The cleanliness was unbelievable.Ok there were lots of bugs outside of the hotel rooms but that was not the hotels fault because the hotel is in the outside giving a very natured feeling. The service was brilliant and we were made very comfortable.It was lovely to walk into your room after a tiring day to see your room was cleaned,beds were made and the curtains were made into swan shapes.And of course the little chocolate mints on the pillows.The minibar we had inside our room was always checked by the cleaners.If she saw that we needed anything she would bring it straight away.There were plenty of shops,bars and restaurants in the hotel but there was no hassel.The staff was extremely helpfull and polite.The entertainment was lovely.Wether it be the impersonaters or the live band it was perfect.There was nobody forcing you too tip but nearly all the staff got paid by just tips.They are extremely gratefull when you tip.Babysitters are on hand whenever needed.But most importantly i knew i was safe.I don't know why but i just did.The people in and out of the hotel were etremely friendly.There were lots of things to do as in pool entertainment and divingand so on.The spa was gorgeus and there was a lot of things to do out of the hotel aswell.Such as horse-riding-visiting the mayan temple-swimming with dolphins etc.I must say it was a perfect two weeks

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I stayed at the Maya from June 4th-11th and wasn't completely impressed. I will go over each of the hotels amenities.

Grounds: Grounds were beautiful for the most part. There was always someone cleaning brush or trimming hedges. The only problem were the grounds were covered by peoples old drinking glasses. Now I know this isn't the resorts fault, it just made the place look cheap.

Rooms: The rooms were okay. The room was a nice size, and the bathroom too. The balcony was large and not a squeeze for two people to sit and enjoy it. The problem is the beds are the most firm bed I have ever slept in. Another issue with the room was our remote didn't have a back covering the batteries and they would contiounsly fall out. That wasn't a big deal but when you are staying at such an expensive resort you would hope that small thing would be perfect.I suggest staying in building 63, it is a two minute walk to the lobby and a two minute walk to the pool.

Beach: The beach was perfect. There was only a small area that had rocks, if you setup closer to the Grand you won't find any rocks.

Pools: The pools were nice for the most part. The water was the perfect tempature and the pools were huge. I only found two problems about the pool. People would leave their glasses everywhere and it looked trashy. The other problem is the paplayas are spaced to close together. It makes it very difficult to walk around the pool area, when every five feet you need to duck your head.

Food: Terrible. Every restaurant has the same damn thing, and none of it is very good. Here is how I would rank them from worst to best. Gourmet (Lindo), Japanese, Seafood, Brazilian, Steak house, and the Mexican. I have had better food at an Old Country Buffet.

Staff: The staff were wonderful. These people make so little but are the nicest people. We really enjoyed Jose at the Snake Bar and Frederico at the Beach Bar. They were tremendous.

Would I recommend this resort? I would if the price was about $500 cheaper per person for a week. It deffinetly wasn't worth all the money we paid.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

We just returned from a week at the Maya. We are a family of 3, with a 10 year old girl. This is our first time staying in Mexico at a resort, previously we have only had stops on cruises in the area. Overall, we rated this resort 4 stars. It is not a five star resort in the least. In our opinion there are issues that keep this from being a 5 star resort. The grounds are mostly well-kept and beautiful in the Maya area (and the Lindo) but when we went over to the Beach and Del Mar area, not so nice. Dirtier, less well-kept although we did enjoy the wildlife on that side of the complex.

Anyway, the pool area is overall nice and very large. Many people in the pool all the time, but never felt crowded. We never had a problem finding chairs at the pool or at the beach, as long as you aren't wanting the first row closest to water. Always palapas, always chairs in the shade. There was grime/mold/black stuff on the grout of the tile in all the pool areas we visited. With the pools so large, it would be hard to keep it perfectly clean, but I felt the extent of the problem was unacceptable. This problem really needs to be addressed.

We found the food schedule and locations hard to understand. Certain restaurants are buffets for lunch and dinner and then reservation required restaurants for dinner. Some restaurants have breakfast and some do not. Some are open for lunch and some are closed. Some are buffets for lunch and completely closed for dinner. We found ourselves expecting to eat at a certain place only to find it closed completely.
it would be nice if at check-in, a schedule of dining options (a chart) was provided to help with this.

Good service at the pool bar and the ice cream bar. Never had to wait long for drinks or ice cream. Drinks are weak but you can ask them to be made stronger and they will do it. Ice cream is very good.

The food quality leaves a lot to be desired. I think they try to do too much, too much variety and in the end, the quality suffers. We found the lindo/maya buffet to be consistently the best food. We found the reservation-required restaurants to be seriously lacking. We found the seafood (La Marina) to be overall ok but not great. We found the Italian to be bad (spaghetti with sauce that tasted like Spaghettios). Steak restaurant was lacking (extremely tough ribs) and we found the mexican (Tapatio) to be very bad. We actually could not eat the entrees there and had to leave and go over to the buffet for decent food. We are not picky. My husband eats anything and for the most part so do I. There were meals when we went away hungry. Cakes were stale, bread was stale, fruit was mushy, salad was wilted and limp, etc. As a comparison, we much preferred the food on our Carnival cruise last year to the food at Iberostar. I know everyone is different butt this is our overall opinion -- We would give the food 2 stars.

Quality of the room service food was horrible. I would advise to not even try it. We ordered 5 things and only ate about 1/4 th of what we ordered. The menu is also very limited.

The rooms - very large and comfortable for the most part, although the bed was hard. I slept ok but my husband had problems.The pillows were very lumpy. It was dark. Definitely need more lighting. I suppose the rooms could be described as showing their age. There was rust on the tub jets and also a bit of mildew so we never used it. The shower leaks extensively so there was tile damage around the base of the shower.

We thought the nightly entertainment was good. We would recommend going to the lindo/maya buffet every evening and then catching the show. Star Friends are fun and the quality of the entertainers they bring in is good.

The beach was nice. Beautiful blue-green water, great sand. Only a few rocky areas. Waters were very rough the days we were there. When on your lounge chairs relaxing be prepared to be solicited for massages by the spa staff and solicited for various items but salespeople walking the beach. We found this annoying.

Anyway, overall nice but not great. Not sure we will go back to the Maya but perhaps we will try the Grand if we go back.

bellingham ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

This was our 4th trip back to the Iberostar hotels---first stay at Lindo, and the next three at Maya. We just love it there. We had thought of upgrading to the Grand, but didn't think the $100 upgrade fee was worth it for us since we also golf 4-5 times during week which is an added expense. We have never had a problem getting a chair at the beach or the pool and we always make our dinner reservations the first day that we arrive and have no problem getting a variety of 8:30 reservations. The bar at the Maya is our favorite--especially Jose who remembers us each year. Lots of babies this year in strollers and large groups, but usually did not bother us. But the teenagers at the bar can be quite annoying--there is no way some of them are 18 years old and they don't act it. All in all always a great time. The golf course is amazing with the same all-inclusive service. I only wish I could figure why I keep getting a rash on the bottom half of my legs. It only happens in Mexico and I have gotten it 3 times out of 4. Would love to hear from anyone who has experienced this rash. Would love to return and stay at the Grand.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Maya? Share your experiences!