“Thank you Iberostar - amazing holiday at the Del Mar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso del Mar to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal-Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Thank you Iberostar - amazing holiday at the Del Mar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed at the Del Mar from 17-31 January for our silver wedding anniversary and had the best holiday ever!!!!

After a whopping nine hour delay at Gatwick we finally arrived at the Del Mar at around 2.30am. After being quickly checked in we were whisked away by golf buggie to our room in building 10. The first floor beachfront room was spacious, very clean and had the most amazing view - we could see the sea from our bed! The bed was firm, but this was okay for us. Housekeeping was brilliant, always done mid morning, linen changed daily, plenty of towels and lovely towel art and the mini bar was always well topped up. We had a minor maintenance issue on the first morning and this was dealt with within ten minutes of making the call. We were extremely impressed with the overall cleanliness of the resort, we even saw staff raking the sand between the foliage! We were also very impressed with the service we received from all the staff, never did we meet anyone who was miserable or surly. All the staff at all levels were wonderful and couldn't do enough for us.

The pool is wonderful - it's HUGE with lots of different areas, some quiet, some for activities. We saw no evidence of any towel games going on, you could get a sun bed at any time of the day and the shady bed cabanas were lovely to lie on. In our first week the pool was cold as had been mentioned on the forums, but this was because the nights were cool. However, in the second week the nights were much warmer (we didn't need an extra layer) and as a result the pool warmed up and became a really nice temperature.

The Beach is lovely - its very wide with plenty of sunbeds. However, the sea is rough most days (although we did have a couple of days when the water was calmer). There is an area in front of the Lindo where guests would go in the water to jump the waves. We tried it and although it was fun, the waves were very strong. The beach is lovely for walking, don't miss an early morning walk at sunrise - it's magical!

The grounds are absolutely beautiful, very lush and very well kept. It takes around 15 minutes at a gentle pace to walk from the beach to the lobby, but if you are feeling lazy there is a little train to transport you around the resort. We saw peacocks, flamingos, turtles, tortoises, swans, agoutis, coati mundis, iguanas and cats around the resort.

We thought the food was wonderful. Yes, the buffet can get a little bit "samey" but they do try to vary it a bit and I do suspect that they recycle the food. However, we always enjoyed the buffet and the choice was really good, surely everyone should be able to find something they would like to eat. We tried some of the speciality restaurants - Japanese, Steakhouse, Mexican, Meditterrean and Brazilian. We loved them all and experienced examplary service in all of them.

Overall, we had an the best time ever at the Del Mar, we have some unforgettable memories of what was a really special time - thank you Iberostar for everything. We are now Iberostar fans forever and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. There were tears when we had to leave! We poured over the reviews (inlcuding the recent short series of negative ones) and all the photos on Trip Adivsor but nothing prepared us for what we found when we got there - it was absolutely wonderful and I hope that one day we will return. Enjoy your holiday here - its amazing!!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Polish first
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

Paradise. I wanted sand and sun and found both all week long. I travelled alone and the property was perfect because I didn't have to leave for anything unless I wanted to. I enjoyed the shopping plaza and the beautifully landscaped grounds. I liked the opportunity to walk the grounds when the temps cooled or on the shaded paths when the temps were not so cool. I enjoyed four of the a la carte restaurants during my stay--the Japanese being my favorite. I enjoyed the buffets--my standards being if I didn't have to fix it, shop for it, serve it, etc.--it was glorious.

I booked several tours through the Apple rep on site. I would have appreciated knowing some of the small details like if I went horseback riding and needed a locker, I better bring an extra buck along. (I was told to bring money but I didn't have a dollar with me. Fortunately, another guest gave me one for my change.) Horseback riding in the ocean appeared to be risky given the picture I was shown in their book (woman on horse appeared to be alone in the middle of the ocean). No one rode alone into the ocean and the horses' feet never left the ground. We were well escorted at all times. A missed opportunity. A reason to return.

I got locked out of the safe in my room. A call to the front desk and security promptly came to the rescue. Thank you! (Written instructions in the room or on the safe would be helpful.)

I did venture into the spa, where I was ignored (my only negative experience while there). Three women were chatting at the front counter. They barely glanced in my direction. I was not greeted or spoken to while I was there. I looked at the price list posted at the front desk and left. I wouldn't bother with it. I work retail and we are trained to always greet the customer and offer assistance. Otherwise, I was greeted pleasantly with "Hola" by all staff whether trimming trees, pushing the laundry cart or answering the telephone.

• Liked — The grounds were breathtakingly beautiful.
  • Disliked — The noise from the Linda (I was not given a room near the noise center; otherwise, I would have been very unhappy).
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Chciago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the Del Mar for a week in Januray 2009. We booked our trip through Apple Vacations and it went very smoothly.

I have to admit that after I read some of the reviews I was afraid of what we may have to experience. I can not say enough good things about the Del Mar from the time we arrived until the moment we left we had a wonderful time. I can not imagine anyone having any complaints about the grounds or rooms. The property is beautiful.

I had heard many people complain about the size and mention that there was alot of walking. I actually enjoyed being able to have to walk from my room to the reasturants or the nearby mall. If you have difficulty walking then you may want to reconsider. I wanted a larger resort atmosphere where everything was not cramed into one location. The grounds are so beautiful and the weather was perfect even when we had the oppurtunity to take the bus we passed and walked instead.

The food could have been better but I had to remind myself that the resort needs to cater to every type of culture and not just provide what I am used to eating. I think the buffet offers a wide variety and actually enjoyed the buffet over the Brazilian Steakhouse which was horrible. The Mexican was pretty good but you could actually get the same food at the buffet.

The shows were very entertaining and well done.

The water in the ocen was warmer then the pool so we spent more time on the beach.

I do wish the bar made their mixed drinks alot stronger but if you requested them to do so they would. I also wish they served Corona at the bars, the only place they serve it are the main reasturants.

I am a cat lover so loved all the cats roaming the property I do not think everone would agree.

I could have easily stayed another week. I am confident that I will return.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

This was our second trip to the del Mar and our third at an Iberostar on the Riviera Maya. We were there in mid-January. We were a family of 4--traveling with a preschooler and a toddler. This year we stayed in building 11; very close to the pool, ocean, and lunch spot. I liked the location but there was a lot of noise while the kids were napping in the afternoon (I think we were right outside a laundry station with big carts coming and going). Most people aren't in their rooms in the afternoon, so it wouldn't bother most people. I should have switched rooms but was too lazy to repack again and my kids were so tired, they slept like logs anyhow! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The beds were not as hard as last year, but still not like at home (I guess it gives you a reason to want to leave paradise!). Maids came daily and refilled water/drinks as needed. We never used the AC. We ordered a crib for our 18 month old daughter and it was sturdy but seemed a bit small for her--she had a hard time getting comfy in the middle of the night.

The pool was beautiful and refreshing. The kiddie area was loads of fun for our kids! The beach was amazing and both the kids loved the warm waves, though we had to hang on to them as all the days had red flags.

The food was fine but got old after a few days. We ate at the Mexican and the Steak House a la carte and liked both--the Mexican had great appetizers (the tamales were especially good) and we loved the blooming onion and steak (duh!) at the Steak House. The buffet always had lots of choices, but here are some of my favorites for breakfast: pancakes, enchiladas verde, doughnuts, my son liked the chocolate muffins when they were there, and the orange juice was so good! Lunch and dinner: soups, guac, and the Mexican specials. My kids are pretty picky so we brought lots of their favorite snacks with. They did get ice cream everyday too!

The grounds were huge and immaculate--I never minded all the walking. We all enjoyed looking at the plants and animals. I wish I was back there right now...

The service was wonderful, as usual! Very friendly and helpful waiters and servers. They put in long days, so we always left tips.

Here are a few tips for your trip:

Bring a sweater and a pair of pants in case it gets cool at night.

We brought $100 for tips for 5 days and we wish we brought more (though we did have a problem with our credit card at one point, which made us use some of our tip cash).

The shopping center is close enough to walk to. It's a different place to get lunch or dessert. They have a merry-go-round that they run at 8:30 a few times a week.

Enjoy your trip!

• Liked — The beatiful grounds
  • Disliked — The beds
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lansing, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

We had a great Honeymoon at this place. The staff was wonderful and always there for us night or day. We had a very clean room and lots of variety of dinner choices. The buffets were OK but dinner were the best. I suggest booking these when you arrive because they fill up quickly. The pool wrapped around the place for miles and the beach was great. This is a great place to meet new people and learn the culture.

• Liked — No kids around
  • Disliked — reservations for dinner
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

I stayed at the Iberostar del Mar from January 23-28, 2009 and couldn't have been more pleased. I surprised my husband with a trip for his 30th birthday - and his parents, my two sisters and 3 of their kids joined us. We all had a wonderful time and are considering returning next year with even more family!

The rooms were clean and spacious. I recommend trying to stay in lower-numbered buildings toward the pool and beach. If you can get into building 10, do it! My sister managed to get a suite there and her patio overlooked the ocean...beautiful! The ocean was great during our stay - a little rough, but clear and fun!

The pool was very chilly while we were there - but it IS January! And, you do get used to it. The weather overall was amazing - it rained the morning of our last day, which was a bit of a bummer, but you can't complain after the fun we had!

The best thing about the resort???? THE SERVICE!!!!!!! Everyone on staff was so sweet and quick to help - we were really impressed. With all of the people coming through that property (one staffer estimated 2,000 people per week), I was shocked that several remembered me!!!!

The food wasn't amazing - but I wasn't expecting that much. As most mention, the Japanese definitely was the best we tried. I thought the Mexican was okay, and the best thing about that restaurant is the appetizer buffet. The Brazilian was pretty good! I'm not very picky about food, so I was pleased, but my husband was definitely sick of eating there after 5 days.

If you have any questions about this resort, don't hesitate to contact me!!!!!!!

• Liked — The staff - the beach - the pool - the VALUE!
  • Disliked — Coming home... :(
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

This resort is huge. I've had a total knee replacement and asked for a ground floor room and to be in the center of the hotel. I was granted both. Building 14 is a great location. Too much walking if you ask me though. Beautiful grounds very well kept. Lots of wildlife and stray cats which wait under for you to drop food. Unsanitary if you ask me. Food is ok not great. Staff was friendly. Beach and pool was overcrowded. People actually would get up extra early or late and leave towels on chairs just to secure a spot. We never got a spot on the beach. Water was too rough anyhow, red or yellow flags each day. Not rec. for the kiddos or weak swimmers. I do recommend the all day snorkle adventure to the open senotes and inlets.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Share your experiences!