“Return visit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso del Mar to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal-Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Workaholics
“Return visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have used this hotel several times before and the other hotels with the complex. It is with a sad heart that I post this review, what have you done with the hotel Iberostar!
We revisited the hotel at the start of June, in the middle of a tropical storm. Reception lied to us saying that we were in the honeymoon suite, it was a normal room? We arrived at 21.30 and after getting soaked to the skin getting to the room we decided we did not want to go out again to get food. We called room service and was told that the kitchen was closed, no food for us that night
During the night the noise from the ice machine made it difficult to sleep so we asked to move rooms, happily this was completed quickly.
Now to the main issue with the hotel, the food. The food being held on the hot plates and the cold buffet are not being kept to the correct temperature. I had an upset stomach, I am not a big drinker so I knew it could not have been that. I happened to see the hotel staff completing temperature checks to the cold buffet, I decided to wait and see what temperature was noted. The potato salad was recording a temperature of 17 degrees, way above a safe level for a cold buffet! It has to be said that the staff did not want me to see this and tried to get me to move on. I reported this to the Thomson Rep and although he said he was going to speak to the hotel I saw little evidence that anything was actually being done about it. We also noted hot food being carried out with bare hands, to be hot enough it should have been brought out with oven gloves on! The better meals are in the A La Carte restaurants but again we had a few nights when food came out cold when it should have been hot
The up side to the holiday was the Cigar Lounge, yes many of you don't use it, not sure why. The lounge is behind the reception bar, if air conditioned so you do not get eaten by mosquitos while you are having a drink. Jorge looked after us for two weeks, hope the wedding went well Jorge. My husband likes a cigar in the evening and a Mojito, we had the lounge pretty much to ourselves for two weeks. I do not smoke but had no issues because the air flow in the room took the smoke away. Jorge supplied us with drinks all night, popping his head round the door to check on us at regular intervals
We spent our time at the beach, yes you can get the double beds if you want them. The ladies come along the beach asking if you want drinks, to our American cousins please tip, these ladies work hard for very little money
On the whole we will not go back to the hotel, it is now past its best which is a shame we always looked forward to visiting the resort

Room Tip: Mid section of the hotel, we found a rooms halfway between reception and the beach was best. Top flo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Iberostar Clients,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing us again as option for your vacation in Mexico.

We appreciate you sharing your opinion regarding your stay and the feedback from your vacation. We regret to know that you experienced this inconveniences during the tropical storm in June at the Riviera Maya. Unfortunately during the tropical storm the rain and wind was so abundant that the room service was closed since the delivery service was unable to reach the rooms without compromising the food.

We do have a Health & Safety department that take two temperature tests per platter and several measures are taken to keep the food as warm as possible, such as not filling platters completely to change them more often, however buffet restaurants being quite large and exposed to external climate (or A/C), plus the fact that plates are not taken directly from the kitchen to the guests’ table as they do in a la carte restaurants, but are moved around the restaurant while we pick our food, increase the chances of food ending up less than hot when they get to the tables. Exposed food that does not comply with acceptable standards is changed. In any case we have already forwarded your feedback to our Health & Safety department.

We also have a Medical Service on site to offering medical attention to any illness or symptoms our guests may have. This is an extra service from the Hotel and belongs to an external Hospital, however it is there to help our guests.

It is truly important for us that you have taken the time to share your nice comments regarding the service offered by Jorge at the cigar bar. We have already shared them with him to keep him motivated.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future, please rest assured that our guests’ wellbeing is our priority and we do take your feedback seriously.

2,887 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Polish first
Elida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Hurricane Ingrid ruined the weather, but we were still able to have a great time. My wife broke her leg, I came home with Montezuma's Revenge, but we'd go back in a second. Buffet food was OK, but specialized reservation restaurants were excellent. The majority of the staff was great, especially two of out star friends - Gabrielle and Christian - two great guys that made us feel like friends and not visitors. We hope to see them again next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the Management of the Hotel Iberostar Paraiso del Mar we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel for your vacation.

We truly appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us. We are more than happy to know that the weather was not an inconvenience to have an amazing stay with us in the Riviera Maya.

We will give all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention, it is a great reward for our employees to give them all this compliments so they know that they are in the right path and keep up with the good work.

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to Mexico, you will not hesitate to visit us again since we earnestly look forward to hosting you once more.

elida .ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was our third trip to the Del Mar, we have been here for the past 3 Septembers. This year we brought friends. We have been to other resorts, (Dreams, Grand Bahai) but there is just something about this one that keeps calling us back. We arrived by bus, which had to make a couple of stops at other resorts first. Next time , we are considering a direct shuttle since it will get you there quite a bit quicker. The other resorts didn't impress us at all from what you could see when we let other people off there, but when we arrived at the Del Mar, our friends were impressed right away and they hadn't even gotten off the bus yet!! The grounds are beautiful, so green and lush. We notice something different everytime we go there! The rooms are very clean and are serviced daily. We had no complaints about the cleanliness or the restocking of the mini fridge in our room.
The only thing I didn't care for was 2 nights we had turn down service that we weren't expecting. That was very nice, but I would rather be able to request that service than to come back in the evening and find that someone had been in my room. I would have straightened up a little had I known!! Also, mid way through our stay, our room safe wouldn't unlock and we had to call the front desk. They arrived very quickly and nothing had been disturbed. The next day, same thing. The next time it was 11 o'clock at night and this time, they had to replace the battery in the safe. Yes, an inconvenience, but they were very promt to unlock it, and nothing had been messed with. It's never happened before, just one of those things.
The food was good, but of course, the gourmet restaurants were much better. Our favorite has always been the American steakhouse-get the fillet, its amazing! However, we let our frinds choose the other evenings and I was surprised at how good the Mediteranian restaurant was! I have always stayed away from there because I don't like seafood, but there were plenty of choices and it was very good! I might have a tie for favorite restaurant now!! We also had the Japanese and the Italian which were very good as well.
The Star Friends are what makes the trip though. We met two new friends this year, Gabriel and Christian. These guys are super friendly and we enjoyed breakfast with Gabriel and learning to juggle with Christian. They were around every day and always had time to talk and make us feel comfortable while we were there.
The pool games and activities are alot of fun whether you participate or just watch, and I look forward to" Hey, Hey Baby!" as soon as I get there. The bars are great- shout out to Roger at the beach bar, who never forgot my husband's name, and Omar and Louis at the pool bar. I know some people say that the drinks are weak or watered down, but don't be afraid to ask for an extra shot if you want it to be stronger!
In the evenings, we enjoyed going up to the lobby bar and just relaxing. Rosa is our favorite waitress up there!!
The first 2 nights we were there, the entertainment at the theater was pretty good, but after that it was back to the same shows we've seen the last 2 times we were there. Not bad, but not great either.
Oh yes, and let me mention that it rained 5 out of 7 days we were there, and I mean ALOT of rain-due to a hurricane out in the gulf- but it was warm rain and we sat under the thatched huts or got in the pool. We wouldn't let a little rain ruin our vacation! Typically, in the past we've had 0 rain, so don't let this affect a decision to travel here in the fall.
And lastly, I love those little coati! They are fun to see and the babies are so cute!! I always get pictures of those little rascals!
We will definantly come back- we just hope there's a little sun next year!!

Room Tip: We have always stayed on the ground floor, facing the pool area in buildings 14 or 15 but this year...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Friends,

First of all we would like to thank you for the opportunity you give us by keeping choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacation. Thank you very much for your loyalty.

We appreciate the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and also it is motivating for our Staff to keep offering the same amazing service to everyone.

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to all this single employees that make our hotel stand out and that at the end are the ones that would make you choose us again in the future.

We would like to apologize if the turn down service made you uncomfortable. Please rest assured our housekeepers job is to keep your room as impeccable as possible, no matter the initial state of the room. You are on vacation and we understand you want to spend your time out enjoying yourself. In any case we take it into account; your comments will be sent to our Housekeeping Department.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future to Iberostar in Riviera Maya.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Beautiful resort. Great rooms, very quiet. Food was wonderful. The grounds were well maintained and very clean. Friendly staff. Pool was huge and lots of fun and the was great. We really liked all the animals - the coati, peacocks, swans, flamingos and even the cats. Great place. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor how your vacations went at our complex.

We appreciate you decided to stay at our Hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great and you had an amazing experience with us. We have forwarded your comments to our Staff and the people in charge of every department congratulating them for collaborating in deliver happiness and an unforgettable experience.

We are happy you highlighted our flora and fauna. We are a Green Globe certified hotel and as such make efforts in preserving our environment.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back and offer you once again our service of excellence.

Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar is the best hotel I really can't wait to go back! This wasn't my first time in Mexico but my first time staying in Riviera Maya & it was the most relaxing vacation. The vibe is so great& the beach was amazing!!!!& full of entertainment every night & everyone there is super nice and friendly. Also the food was so good, I mainly ate at the buffet they have more choices than the restaurants. I'm definitely looking forward for my spring break to go again! Very clean hotel and excellent room service, & of course the staff/workers were the most humble people ever! I recommend everyone to stay here you wont regret it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and other travelers your opinion of your stay at our Iberostar.

It is amazing to receive these great comments from your recent experience since the complete satisfaction of our guests is our main goal. We have already forwarded you incredible comments and feedback to our Staff and also to the people in charge of every department, since for our Staff one of their main rewards is the recognition of their hard work and efforts.

We appreciate you decided to stay at our Hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great. We are pleased to know that you are already planning your next visit and that you will recommend us in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been to many hotels in Mexico, including Secrets Silverands, Now Jade, Now Sapphire, Catalonia - and Iberostar is my favorite....which is why I've been here 3x this year. The place is beautiful, the food is EXCELLENT (even the buffet food), the beach is great, and employees remember you and are so nice. I eat at the buffet more than the restaurants, two people who really stand out are Jacinto (waiter) and Maria (cook). I've never met people so nice and so helpful. These two should open their OWN restaurant in USA!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we thank you for sharing your comments and opinion regarding the value of your vacation at Iberostar. Thank you so much for your loyalty too!!

We will give all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention as it will be very motivational for them.

We appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers. This is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay as they motivate us to improve our service daily.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and offer you our warm hospitality.

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We just got back on July 14th from a week long stay at the Iberostar Playa Del Mar which we booked through an Apple Square Deal. Since I rely on reviews to book my trips (reading at least 50 per hotel) I hope my review will help to give an accurate and fair assessment of this hotel and our experience. As a whole the hotel was awesome. The grounds were beautiful, the staff was more than friendly and the weather was great. I will elaborate a bit more on each but I think it is important that you know what kind of traveler I am to know if you your travel expectations are in line with mine. I travel at least 3 times a year, I search out good food/ drinks, I love to relax but also like to try things that exert a little energy, I am a neat freak and deathly afraid of spiders/ multi legged bugs, lastly as a traveler I don’t sweat the small stuff.

Ok so back to the hotel. The staff was super friendly regardless of whether or not you tipped. You don’t have to tip all the time but I recommend tipping a few dollars here or there when you get good service. Basically treat people how you would want to be treated. If you take care of them they will take care of you.

We did several excursions so we were able to see many entrances to other hotels. Hands down the Iberostar was the best. The grounds were lush and beautiful. The staff was constantly working on it to keep it looking good. We even saw a man standing in one of the ponds/ fountains polishing a light fixture. As far as the mosquitoes go the hotel did spray every night. We brought bug spray from home and wore it at night. I did get a couple of bites but not while I was at the hotel. In the U.S. on the east coast the mosquitoes are far worse. People who complained in other reviews about the mosquitoes are unrealistic in their expectations. The resort is large so there is a little walking involved but from the beach to the lobby is really only a 5 minute walk at best. People who complained about this are exaggerating.

The rooms were nice and clean and were stocked daily with more towels than you could possibly need, plus water, beer and soda. I found the bed to be a little hard but I am one of those people who like a super soft mattress that you sink into. My husband thought it was comfy. We were on the 1st floor which was a little noisy if you wanted to sleep in but it is so beautiful outside why spend all your time in the room.

The beach was beautiful. A little bit of seaweed in the water directly in front of our section of the hotel but if you walked literally 15 feet down that water was perfect. The hotel provides free snorkel gear for an hour each day. I didn’t learn that until our last day so if you like to snorkel be sure to take advantage. There was basic snack food on the beach like hamburgers, nachos, etc. If you stay at the Del Mar and want food on the beach go to the food stand at the Pariso. If you are facing the ocean it is the second food stand on the beach to your right. It offers a few more options. Taste wise the chicken was the best thing offered.

The pools at the hotel were awesome. There are 3. The pool closest to the beach is the warmest. The pool bar furthest from the beach is the coldest but the best. Oli is the bartender and is super friendly. If he makes you a shot that has an inappropriate name drink it. It is amazing. Overall the drinks at the pool bar are decent. It is not top shelf liquor but it does the job. If you want top shelf pay an extra $1,000 per person and stay at the Grand.
For the best drinks outside of the pool go to the lobby bar or the cigar bar in the shopping village. I don’t smoke cigars but no one was in there smoking. That is where you can get the top shelf liquor.

As far as the food goes I wasn’t impressed. Each person has different tastes so if you like Applebees, Wendy’s, or Grand Corral you may like the food here. I unfortunately did not but was still able to gain a few pounds trying to find something I liked and by the end of the week I did. Overall the best thing you can eat while you are there is the Mexican food and really stick to the chicken or shredded pork. If you don’t like Mexican food don’t come to Mexico. The Italian food was awful, they destroyed seafood, and even the specialty restaurants were bad. With that being said I would still go back to this hotel because overall it was a great experience. Here are my tips on finding the best food at the Del Mar. First, the taco place in the shopping village had the best food. We ate there 3 times and each time it was really good. The ice cream at the resort is AMAZING!!! Try the coconut. The best coffee is at the lobby bar. Try cappuccino with a splash of Kaluha. For your specialty restaurants I recommend booking the Mexican for all 3. Get the tortilla soup; also try the soup at the appetizer buffet and the black bean tostada. For your entre avoid the seafood and go for the chicken. The other restaurants we tried were the Mediterranean and the gourmet one. We would have been better off going to the taco bar. If you have the chance I suggest taking the hotel taxi into downtown Playa Del Carmen and eating a meal there. We did and the food in town was spectacular!

Room Tip: Try and get a room in building 13 or 14. It will put you in the middle of the resort.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor how your vacations went at our Complex.

Thank you so very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We regret to know that the food at the specialty restaurants was not the best for you; we have already forwarded your feedback to the Chef and the management to do our best and offer always great experiences at every restaurant.

We are pleased to have delivered you a fabulous vacation; we will forward your comments and greetings to our Staff that made your stay a very special vacation.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Share your experiences!