“Good Time in Bad Weather” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

You added Iberostar Paraiso del Mar to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal-Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Elida
“Good Time in Bad Weather”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Hurricane Ingrid ruined the weather, but we were still able to have a great time. My wife broke her leg, I came home with Montezuma's Revenge, but we'd go back in a second. Buffet food was OK, but specialized reservation restaurants were excellent. The majority of the staff was great, especially two of out star friends - Gabrielle and Christian - two great guys that made us feel like friends and not visitors. We hope to see them again next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the Management of the Hotel Iberostar Paraiso del Mar we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel for your vacation.

We truly appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us. We are more than happy to know that the weather was not an inconvenience to have an amazing stay with us in the Riviera Maya.

We will give all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention, it is a great reward for our employees to give them all this compliments so they know that they are in the right path and keep up with the good work.

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to Mexico, you will not hesitate to visit us again since we earnestly look forward to hosting you once more.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Polish first
elida .ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was our third trip to the Del Mar, we have been here for the past 3 Septembers. This year we brought friends. We have been to other resorts, (Dreams, Grand Bahai) but there is just something about this one that keeps calling us back. We arrived by bus, which had to make a couple of stops at other resorts first. Next time , we are considering a direct shuttle since it will get you there quite a bit quicker. The other resorts didn't impress us at all from what you could see when we let other people off there, but when we arrived at the Del Mar, our friends were impressed right away and they hadn't even gotten off the bus yet!! The grounds are beautiful, so green and lush. We notice something different everytime we go there! The rooms are very clean and are serviced daily. We had no complaints about the cleanliness or the restocking of the mini fridge in our room.
The only thing I didn't care for was 2 nights we had turn down service that we weren't expecting. That was very nice, but I would rather be able to request that service than to come back in the evening and find that someone had been in my room. I would have straightened up a little had I known!! Also, mid way through our stay, our room safe wouldn't unlock and we had to call the front desk. They arrived very quickly and nothing had been disturbed. The next day, same thing. The next time it was 11 o'clock at night and this time, they had to replace the battery in the safe. Yes, an inconvenience, but they were very promt to unlock it, and nothing had been messed with. It's never happened before, just one of those things.
The food was good, but of course, the gourmet restaurants were much better. Our favorite has always been the American steakhouse-get the fillet, its amazing! However, we let our frinds choose the other evenings and I was surprised at how good the Mediteranian restaurant was! I have always stayed away from there because I don't like seafood, but there were plenty of choices and it was very good! I might have a tie for favorite restaurant now!! We also had the Japanese and the Italian which were very good as well.
The Star Friends are what makes the trip though. We met two new friends this year, Gabriel and Christian. These guys are super friendly and we enjoyed breakfast with Gabriel and learning to juggle with Christian. They were around every day and always had time to talk and make us feel comfortable while we were there.
The pool games and activities are alot of fun whether you participate or just watch, and I look forward to" Hey, Hey Baby!" as soon as I get there. The bars are great- shout out to Roger at the beach bar, who never forgot my husband's name, and Omar and Louis at the pool bar. I know some people say that the drinks are weak or watered down, but don't be afraid to ask for an extra shot if you want it to be stronger!
In the evenings, we enjoyed going up to the lobby bar and just relaxing. Rosa is our favorite waitress up there!!
The first 2 nights we were there, the entertainment at the theater was pretty good, but after that it was back to the same shows we've seen the last 2 times we were there. Not bad, but not great either.
Oh yes, and let me mention that it rained 5 out of 7 days we were there, and I mean ALOT of rain-due to a hurricane out in the gulf- but it was warm rain and we sat under the thatched huts or got in the pool. We wouldn't let a little rain ruin our vacation! Typically, in the past we've had 0 rain, so don't let this affect a decision to travel here in the fall.
And lastly, I love those little coati! They are fun to see and the babies are so cute!! I always get pictures of those little rascals!
We will definantly come back- we just hope there's a little sun next year!!

Room Tip: We have always stayed on the ground floor, facing the pool area in buildings 14 or 15 but this year...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Friends,

First of all we would like to thank you for the opportunity you give us by keeping choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your vacation. Thank you very much for your loyalty.

We appreciate the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and also it is motivating for our Staff to keep offering the same amazing service to everyone.

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to all this single employees that make our hotel stand out and that at the end are the ones that would make you choose us again in the future.

We would like to apologize if the turn down service made you uncomfortable. Please rest assured our housekeepers job is to keep your room as impeccable as possible, no matter the initial state of the room. You are on vacation and we understand you want to spend your time out enjoying yourself. In any case we take it into account; your comments will be sent to our Housekeeping Department.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future to Iberostar in Riviera Maya.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful resort. Great rooms, very quiet. Food was wonderful. The grounds were well maintained and very clean. Friendly staff. Pool was huge and lots of fun and the was great. We really liked all the animals - the coati, peacocks, swans, flamingos and even the cats. Great place. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor how your vacations went at our complex.

We appreciate you decided to stay at our Hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great and you had an amazing experience with us. We have forwarded your comments to our Staff and the people in charge of every department congratulating them for collaborating in deliver happiness and an unforgettable experience.

We are happy you highlighted our flora and fauna. We are a Green Globe certified hotel and as such make efforts in preserving our environment.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back and offer you once again our service of excellence.

Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar is the best hotel I really can't wait to go back! This wasn't my first time in Mexico but my first time staying in Riviera Maya & it was the most relaxing vacation. The vibe is so great& the beach was amazing!!!!& full of entertainment every night & everyone there is super nice and friendly. Also the food was so good, I mainly ate at the buffet they have more choices than the restaurants. I'm definitely looking forward for my spring break to go again! Very clean hotel and excellent room service, & of course the staff/workers were the most humble people ever! I recommend everyone to stay here you wont regret it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and other travelers your opinion of your stay at our Iberostar.

It is amazing to receive these great comments from your recent experience since the complete satisfaction of our guests is our main goal. We have already forwarded you incredible comments and feedback to our Staff and also to the people in charge of every department, since for our Staff one of their main rewards is the recognition of their hard work and efforts.

We appreciate you decided to stay at our Hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great. We are pleased to know that you are already planning your next visit and that you will recommend us in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been to many hotels in Mexico, including Secrets Silverands, Now Jade, Now Sapphire, Catalonia - and Iberostar is my favorite....which is why I've been here 3x this year. The place is beautiful, the food is EXCELLENT (even the buffet food), the beach is great, and employees remember you and are so nice. I eat at the buffet more than the restaurants, two people who really stand out are Jacinto (waiter) and Maria (cook). I've never met people so nice and so helpful. These two should open their OWN restaurant in USA!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we thank you for sharing your comments and opinion regarding the value of your vacation at Iberostar. Thank you so much for your loyalty too!!

We will give all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention as it will be very motivational for them.

We appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers. This is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay as they motivate us to improve our service daily.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and offer you our warm hospitality.

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We just got back on July 14th from a week long stay at the Iberostar Playa Del Mar which we booked through an Apple Square Deal. Since I rely on reviews to book my trips (reading at least 50 per hotel) I hope my review will help to give an accurate and fair assessment of this hotel and our experience. As a whole the hotel was awesome. The grounds were beautiful, the staff was more than friendly and the weather was great. I will elaborate a bit more on each but I think it is important that you know what kind of traveler I am to know if you your travel expectations are in line with mine. I travel at least 3 times a year, I search out good food/ drinks, I love to relax but also like to try things that exert a little energy, I am a neat freak and deathly afraid of spiders/ multi legged bugs, lastly as a traveler I don’t sweat the small stuff.

Ok so back to the hotel. The staff was super friendly regardless of whether or not you tipped. You don’t have to tip all the time but I recommend tipping a few dollars here or there when you get good service. Basically treat people how you would want to be treated. If you take care of them they will take care of you.

We did several excursions so we were able to see many entrances to other hotels. Hands down the Iberostar was the best. The grounds were lush and beautiful. The staff was constantly working on it to keep it looking good. We even saw a man standing in one of the ponds/ fountains polishing a light fixture. As far as the mosquitoes go the hotel did spray every night. We brought bug spray from home and wore it at night. I did get a couple of bites but not while I was at the hotel. In the U.S. on the east coast the mosquitoes are far worse. People who complained in other reviews about the mosquitoes are unrealistic in their expectations. The resort is large so there is a little walking involved but from the beach to the lobby is really only a 5 minute walk at best. People who complained about this are exaggerating.

The rooms were nice and clean and were stocked daily with more towels than you could possibly need, plus water, beer and soda. I found the bed to be a little hard but I am one of those people who like a super soft mattress that you sink into. My husband thought it was comfy. We were on the 1st floor which was a little noisy if you wanted to sleep in but it is so beautiful outside why spend all your time in the room.

The beach was beautiful. A little bit of seaweed in the water directly in front of our section of the hotel but if you walked literally 15 feet down that water was perfect. The hotel provides free snorkel gear for an hour each day. I didn’t learn that until our last day so if you like to snorkel be sure to take advantage. There was basic snack food on the beach like hamburgers, nachos, etc. If you stay at the Del Mar and want food on the beach go to the food stand at the Pariso. If you are facing the ocean it is the second food stand on the beach to your right. It offers a few more options. Taste wise the chicken was the best thing offered.

The pools at the hotel were awesome. There are 3. The pool closest to the beach is the warmest. The pool bar furthest from the beach is the coldest but the best. Oli is the bartender and is super friendly. If he makes you a shot that has an inappropriate name drink it. It is amazing. Overall the drinks at the pool bar are decent. It is not top shelf liquor but it does the job. If you want top shelf pay an extra $1,000 per person and stay at the Grand.
For the best drinks outside of the pool go to the lobby bar or the cigar bar in the shopping village. I don’t smoke cigars but no one was in there smoking. That is where you can get the top shelf liquor.

As far as the food goes I wasn’t impressed. Each person has different tastes so if you like Applebees, Wendy’s, or Grand Corral you may like the food here. I unfortunately did not but was still able to gain a few pounds trying to find something I liked and by the end of the week I did. Overall the best thing you can eat while you are there is the Mexican food and really stick to the chicken or shredded pork. If you don’t like Mexican food don’t come to Mexico. The Italian food was awful, they destroyed seafood, and even the specialty restaurants were bad. With that being said I would still go back to this hotel because overall it was a great experience. Here are my tips on finding the best food at the Del Mar. First, the taco place in the shopping village had the best food. We ate there 3 times and each time it was really good. The ice cream at the resort is AMAZING!!! Try the coconut. The best coffee is at the lobby bar. Try cappuccino with a splash of Kaluha. For your specialty restaurants I recommend booking the Mexican for all 3. Get the tortilla soup; also try the soup at the appetizer buffet and the black bean tostada. For your entre avoid the seafood and go for the chicken. The other restaurants we tried were the Mediterranean and the gourmet one. We would have been better off going to the taco bar. If you have the chance I suggest taking the hotel taxi into downtown Playa Del Carmen and eating a meal there. We did and the food in town was spectacular!

Room Tip: Try and get a room in building 13 or 14. It will put you in the middle of the resort.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor how your vacations went at our Complex.

Thank you so very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We regret to know that the food at the specialty restaurants was not the best for you; we have already forwarded your feedback to the Chef and the management to do our best and offer always great experiences at every restaurant.

We are pleased to have delivered you a fabulous vacation; we will forward your comments and greetings to our Staff that made your stay a very special vacation.

Ontario,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar for one week in Buiding 12. We only had one issue upon arrival which our Sunwing Rep helped us resolve, The staff were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. We left lots of tips. Al la Cartes were good. Buffets were open air and although you could always find something good to eat, they did become a little boring as the week wore on. We enjoyed the convenience of the beach snack bar with a wide variety of things to choose from. The activities staff were amazing. There was always something going on from Limbo to beach volleyball, beach games, mechanical bull riding, pool games, paella on the beach, etc. We also got to see the baby turtles being release and making their way to the sea. Rooms were very well kept. The housekeeping staff did an amazing job every day always leaving new towel art on the bed. We shopped both in Playa Del Carmen and at the hotel's mall which had some pretty decent prices. The Taco shop, Crepe shop and Burger Place (included in your all inclusive package) were big hits with many. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. We were the second building from the beach which was an amazing location.... close to pool and beach. The main lobby was a 5 - 10 minute walk but there were carts available to those who wanted a ride. Beach was beautiful. Some people complained of mosquitos. We didn't seem to find that to be a problem. Very nice resort.

Room Tip: 2nd or third floor for view and if you do not love walking, ask for a building that is central to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We appreciate the time you took to share with us and Trip Advisor your opinion regarding your recent stay at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar.

It is great to read that you found that the service of the Staff was always outstanding, friendly and helpful. These comments are truly important to us, as our team’s main reward is the recognition of their hard work.

We feel honored to know that you have enjoyed your recent stay at our Hotel; we have forwarded your comments to the Staff and the people in charge of every department to keep them motivated.

We feel confident to offer you our warm hospitality at any Iberostar and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Riviera Maya.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Share your experiences!