“Would go back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso del Mar to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal-Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
“Would go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Beautiful resort. Great rooms, very quiet. Food was wonderful. The grounds were well maintained and very clean. Friendly staff. Pool was huge and lots of fun and the was great. We really liked all the animals - the coati, peacocks, swans, flamingos and even the cats. Great place. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor how your vacations went at our complex.

We appreciate you decided to stay at our Hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great and you had an amazing experience with us. We have forwarded your comments to our Staff and the people in charge of every department congratulating them for collaborating in deliver happiness and an unforgettable experience.

We are happy you highlighted our flora and fauna. We are a Green Globe certified hotel and as such make efforts in preserving our environment.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back and offer you once again our service of excellence.

2,817 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Polish first
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

IBEROSTAR Paraiso del Mar is the best hotel I really can't wait to go back! This wasn't my first time in Mexico but my first time staying in Riviera Maya & it was the most relaxing vacation. The vibe is so great& the beach was amazing!!!!& full of entertainment every night & everyone there is super nice and friendly. Also the food was so good, I mainly ate at the buffet they have more choices than the restaurants. I'm definitely looking forward for my spring break to go again! Very clean hotel and excellent room service, & of course the staff/workers were the most humble people ever! I recommend everyone to stay here you wont regret it!

Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and other travelers your opinion of your stay at our Iberostar.

It is amazing to receive these great comments from your recent experience since the complete satisfaction of our guests is our main goal. We have already forwarded you incredible comments and feedback to our Staff and also to the people in charge of every department, since for our Staff one of their main rewards is the recognition of their hard work and efforts.

We appreciate you decided to stay at our Hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great. We are pleased to know that you are already planning your next visit and that you will recommend us in the future.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been to many hotels in Mexico, including Secrets Silverands, Now Jade, Now Sapphire, Catalonia - and Iberostar is my favorite....which is why I've been here 3x this year. The place is beautiful, the food is EXCELLENT (even the buffet food), the beach is great, and employees remember you and are so nice. I eat at the buffet more than the restaurants, two people who really stand out are Jacinto (waiter) and Maria (cook). I've never met people so nice and so helpful. These two should open their OWN restaurant in USA!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we thank you for sharing your comments and opinion regarding the value of your vacation at Iberostar. Thank you so much for your loyalty too!!

We will give all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention as it will be very motivational for them.

We appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers. This is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay as they motivate us to improve our service daily.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and offer you our warm hospitality.

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We just got back on July 14th from a week long stay at the Iberostar Playa Del Mar which we booked through an Apple Square Deal. Since I rely on reviews to book my trips (reading at least 50 per hotel) I hope my review will help to give an accurate and fair assessment of this hotel and our experience. As a whole the hotel was awesome. The grounds were beautiful, the staff was more than friendly and the weather was great. I will elaborate a bit more on each but I think it is important that you know what kind of traveler I am to know if you your travel expectations are in line with mine. I travel at least 3 times a year, I search out good food/ drinks, I love to relax but also like to try things that exert a little energy, I am a neat freak and deathly afraid of spiders/ multi legged bugs, lastly as a traveler I don’t sweat the small stuff.

Ok so back to the hotel. The staff was super friendly regardless of whether or not you tipped. You don’t have to tip all the time but I recommend tipping a few dollars here or there when you get good service. Basically treat people how you would want to be treated. If you take care of them they will take care of you.

We did several excursions so we were able to see many entrances to other hotels. Hands down the Iberostar was the best. The grounds were lush and beautiful. The staff was constantly working on it to keep it looking good. We even saw a man standing in one of the ponds/ fountains polishing a light fixture. As far as the mosquitoes go the hotel did spray every night. We brought bug spray from home and wore it at night. I did get a couple of bites but not while I was at the hotel. In the U.S. on the east coast the mosquitoes are far worse. People who complained in other reviews about the mosquitoes are unrealistic in their expectations. The resort is large so there is a little walking involved but from the beach to the lobby is really only a 5 minute walk at best. People who complained about this are exaggerating.

The rooms were nice and clean and were stocked daily with more towels than you could possibly need, plus water, beer and soda. I found the bed to be a little hard but I am one of those people who like a super soft mattress that you sink into. My husband thought it was comfy. We were on the 1st floor which was a little noisy if you wanted to sleep in but it is so beautiful outside why spend all your time in the room.

The beach was beautiful. A little bit of seaweed in the water directly in front of our section of the hotel but if you walked literally 15 feet down that water was perfect. The hotel provides free snorkel gear for an hour each day. I didn’t learn that until our last day so if you like to snorkel be sure to take advantage. There was basic snack food on the beach like hamburgers, nachos, etc. If you stay at the Del Mar and want food on the beach go to the food stand at the Pariso. If you are facing the ocean it is the second food stand on the beach to your right. It offers a few more options. Taste wise the chicken was the best thing offered.

The pools at the hotel were awesome. There are 3. The pool closest to the beach is the warmest. The pool bar furthest from the beach is the coldest but the best. Oli is the bartender and is super friendly. If he makes you a shot that has an inappropriate name drink it. It is amazing. Overall the drinks at the pool bar are decent. It is not top shelf liquor but it does the job. If you want top shelf pay an extra $1,000 per person and stay at the Grand.
For the best drinks outside of the pool go to the lobby bar or the cigar bar in the shopping village. I don’t smoke cigars but no one was in there smoking. That is where you can get the top shelf liquor.

As far as the food goes I wasn’t impressed. Each person has different tastes so if you like Applebees, Wendy’s, or Grand Corral you may like the food here. I unfortunately did not but was still able to gain a few pounds trying to find something I liked and by the end of the week I did. Overall the best thing you can eat while you are there is the Mexican food and really stick to the chicken or shredded pork. If you don’t like Mexican food don’t come to Mexico. The Italian food was awful, they destroyed seafood, and even the specialty restaurants were bad. With that being said I would still go back to this hotel because overall it was a great experience. Here are my tips on finding the best food at the Del Mar. First, the taco place in the shopping village had the best food. We ate there 3 times and each time it was really good. The ice cream at the resort is AMAZING!!! Try the coconut. The best coffee is at the lobby bar. Try cappuccino with a splash of Kaluha. For your specialty restaurants I recommend booking the Mexican for all 3. Get the tortilla soup; also try the soup at the appetizer buffet and the black bean tostada. For your entre avoid the seafood and go for the chicken. The other restaurants we tried were the Mediterranean and the gourmet one. We would have been better off going to the taco bar. If you have the chance I suggest taking the hotel taxi into downtown Playa Del Carmen and eating a meal there. We did and the food in town was spectacular!

Room Tip: Try and get a room in building 13 or 14. It will put you in the middle of the resort.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor how your vacations went at our Complex.

Thank you so very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We regret to know that the food at the specialty restaurants was not the best for you; we have already forwarded your feedback to the Chef and the management to do our best and offer always great experiences at every restaurant.

We are pleased to have delivered you a fabulous vacation; we will forward your comments and greetings to our Staff that made your stay a very special vacation.

Ontario,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar for one week in Buiding 12. We only had one issue upon arrival which our Sunwing Rep helped us resolve, The staff were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. We left lots of tips. Al la Cartes were good. Buffets were open air and although you could always find something good to eat, they did become a little boring as the week wore on. We enjoyed the convenience of the beach snack bar with a wide variety of things to choose from. The activities staff were amazing. There was always something going on from Limbo to beach volleyball, beach games, mechanical bull riding, pool games, paella on the beach, etc. We also got to see the baby turtles being release and making their way to the sea. Rooms were very well kept. The housekeeping staff did an amazing job every day always leaving new towel art on the bed. We shopped both in Playa Del Carmen and at the hotel's mall which had some pretty decent prices. The Taco shop, Crepe shop and Burger Place (included in your all inclusive package) were big hits with many. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. We were the second building from the beach which was an amazing location.... close to pool and beach. The main lobby was a 5 - 10 minute walk but there were carts available to those who wanted a ride. Beach was beautiful. Some people complained of mosquitos. We didn't seem to find that to be a problem. Very nice resort.

Room Tip: 2nd or third floor for view and if you do not love walking, ask for a building that is central to...
Dear Guests,

We appreciate the time you took to share with us and Trip Advisor your opinion regarding your recent stay at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar.

It is great to read that you found that the service of the Staff was always outstanding, friendly and helpful. These comments are truly important to us, as our team’s main reward is the recognition of their hard work.

We feel honored to know that you have enjoyed your recent stay at our Hotel; we have forwarded your comments to the Staff and the people in charge of every department to keep them motivated.

We feel confident to offer you our warm hospitality at any Iberostar and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Riviera Maya.

Radom, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If u need to spend some time in magic place - Iberostar Playa Del Mar is best choice!!!! we were in big group (83 people) and i all i heard was: i need to come back here.

Private beach, excellent food (lots of choices) kind and helpfull stuff (special greetings to Guadelupe and Jorge)!!! Every day our room was clean and tidy. The grounds have so many pools, ponds, animals, and plant life. I highly recommend a stay here.

if u want to go to the city, taxi costs 25$ one way or you can go by bus from the lobby - cost 5$ one way:)))

we had best time ever!

Representative of Navo group
-Anna:))))

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Clients,

On behalf of the Staff and management we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience at Iberostar.

Please know that the management and staff at Iberostar Resorts are committed to providing an ambience which satisfies the needs of our diverse clientele and it is so gratifying to know that you were happy with it.

We appreciate that you decided to stay at our hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great. We have congratulated our Staff and the people in charge of every department that cooperated in delivering happiness and an unforgettable experience.

We hope you give us the chance to stay again at Iberostar; our Staff would be looking forward to your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We just got back from this hotel and had an amazing time. We travelled with our 18 months old daughter. We travelled from London Gatwick, so it was a very long flight, but so worth it!

Room

We stayed in a building number 12, the room was couple of minutes from the pool and the beach, it was about 10 mins walk from the lobby and some restaurants, we liked to walk as our daughter liked to look at the animals, birds, palm trees etc. It was very enjoyable walk, we only took their beach shuttle when it rained and towards the end of our stay as our daughter loved the ride from the beach to the shopping centre.

Pool

Gorgeous pool, the main pool seems to be the busiest one with a swim up bar and water activities i.e. aqua aerobics, water games. We liked the quieter part so our daughter could nap, still not far from the bar and ice cream parlour! ( the raspberry cheesecake and hazelnut ice creams were my favourite).

Beach

Gorgeous beach, plenty of sunbeds, did not get crowded, loads of room for children to run, play in the sand. It was quite rough on our first day but then was calmer most of the time.

Good beach bar, grill bar. We liked the burgers, hot dogs, but for healthier options we ate at the other restaurants near the beach.

Enjoyed the beach party and meal they cooked there - paella! Also riding a mechanical bull was fun to watch.

Good buffet, variety of fruits, cereals, pastries, continental breaskfast, good choice for lunch too. Dinner was good also, but as we stayed for 2 weeks we went to 6 speciality restaurants.

Steak house

The started was a buffet, we liked the main meal - a steak, huge portion, it was served with corn on the cob, baked potato and broccoli.

My partner liked it, but said that he would have preferred it with chunky chips and a steak sauce, i.e. pepper sauce or bernaise sauce.

Italian restaurant

Good starters, I had salad with beef slices. My partner had calamari.

We both had seafood pasta, it was a very tasty meal and my partner had it again in one of the other restaurants ( gourmet).

Japanese

Great food, wok is cooked in the kitchen, the other dishes right in front of you. Very entertaining, great quality, we loved the beef, I also had shrimps and octopus.

Mediterranean

Very classy looking restaurant.

Buffet starters - choice of seafood, including scallops, calamari etc etc.

Main dish - we had sea and land classics - lobster tail and beef steak. This meal is to die for! The steak was even better than in the steak house, oh and that lobster...gorgeous.

Gourmet

This restaurant is not in a booking folder, so we had to ask when making reservations.

I absolutely loved this restaurant, really classy, great atmosphere and amazing food.

I had prawn cocktail to start with, my partner had some other seafood dish.

I had lobster and mushroom risoto as a main dish, I really loved the lobster!

Entertainment

There is a great entertainment team, they work so hard to make your stay even better, I did aqua aerobics few times and it was fun, as I was there with our daughter I mainly watched the other activities i.e. zumba, beach volleyball, beach soccer, archery, water polo, water games, salsa. Etc etc etc

The Star friends are really friendly people, they talked to us a lot, interacted with our daughter. One of the Star friends named Gama sat at lunch with us one day and we really enjoyed his company.

There are activities all day, I also went to the Show couple of times, it was fun, and again the Star friends do their best to entertain you without being pushy.

There was a show on every evening, I enjoyed the mexican night, magic night, movie night.....

You will love the entertainment team!

Also, there seems to be a great kids club, our daughter was too young for it but I really liked their play area and activities they were doing.

Towels and pool

We liked to use the pool beds, as there are not many, they are popular. I used to put my towels down before breakfast, but one day the towels were removed and some other person put clothes etc. on the bed, I was advised by the person giving the towels that I could not reserve the bed, apparently we had to put pool towel and some personal belongings.

We reported the stolen towelsto reception, there was a long list of people who reported stolen towels, we were given a new towel card. This happened only once and I believe you would need to ay for a new towel if this happened again.

Tip for families with toddlers

We always took some breakfast cereal boxes for our daughter to have as a snack, also handy to take some fruit ( buffet restaurant has largest choice of fruit) and some pastry.

Our daughter only drank the tap bottled water, it is either in your minibar or some restaurants, bear in mind the buffet restaurants only had mineral water which was too fizzy for a child.

Overall a fabulous holiday, would love to go again. It was a long flight but well worth it!

Oh, other tourists were - when we arrived mainly Americans, on our second weeks Canadians, and many many Russians, some were American Russians speaking English but with heavy accents and claiming that they were from America when asked, some were from Russia, also Mexicans and many families with babies and young children.

We were very happy, great location,great restaurants, fabulous beach, great entertainment team etc etc. Our daughter laughte all the animals - swans, flamengos, turtles, parrots, lizzards, coatis etc.

Bring some good quality mosquito repellent with you! We used it mainly in the evenings but got bitten couple of times in a day too.

You cannot go wrong, we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear guests,

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to all this single employees that make our hotel stand out and that at the end are the ones that would make you choose us again in the future. We have forwarded your feedback to our Staff and Gamma; your words will be very motivating!

It is gratifying to know we contributed to the happiness of our guests and we trust you give us again the opportunity to stay at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar on your next visit to Riviera Maya.

We feel confident to offer you our warm hospitality at any Iberostar in the future and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Paraiso del Mar.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Share your experiences!