“3rd time to this hotel within 1 year” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso del Mar to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal-Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“3rd time to this hotel within 1 year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been to many hotels in Mexico, including Secrets Silverands, Now Jade, Now Sapphire, Catalonia - and Iberostar is my favorite....which is why I've been here 3x this year. The place is beautiful, the food is EXCELLENT (even the buffet food), the beach is great, and employees remember you and are so nice. I eat at the buffet more than the restaurants, two people who really stand out are Jacinto (waiter) and Maria (cook). I've never met people so nice and so helpful. These two should open their OWN restaurant in USA!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the management we thank you for sharing your comments and opinion regarding the value of your vacation at Iberostar. Thank you so much for your loyalty too!!

We will give all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mention as it will be very motivational for them.

We appreciate you sharing your opinion with other travelers. This is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay as they motivate us to improve our service daily.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and offer you our warm hospitality.

2,887 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Polish first
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We just got back on July 14th from a week long stay at the Iberostar Playa Del Mar which we booked through an Apple Square Deal. Since I rely on reviews to book my trips (reading at least 50 per hotel) I hope my review will help to give an accurate and fair assessment of this hotel and our experience. As a whole the hotel was awesome. The grounds were beautiful, the staff was more than friendly and the weather was great. I will elaborate a bit more on each but I think it is important that you know what kind of traveler I am to know if you your travel expectations are in line with mine. I travel at least 3 times a year, I search out good food/ drinks, I love to relax but also like to try things that exert a little energy, I am a neat freak and deathly afraid of spiders/ multi legged bugs, lastly as a traveler I don’t sweat the small stuff.

Ok so back to the hotel. The staff was super friendly regardless of whether or not you tipped. You don’t have to tip all the time but I recommend tipping a few dollars here or there when you get good service. Basically treat people how you would want to be treated. If you take care of them they will take care of you.

We did several excursions so we were able to see many entrances to other hotels. Hands down the Iberostar was the best. The grounds were lush and beautiful. The staff was constantly working on it to keep it looking good. We even saw a man standing in one of the ponds/ fountains polishing a light fixture. As far as the mosquitoes go the hotel did spray every night. We brought bug spray from home and wore it at night. I did get a couple of bites but not while I was at the hotel. In the U.S. on the east coast the mosquitoes are far worse. People who complained in other reviews about the mosquitoes are unrealistic in their expectations. The resort is large so there is a little walking involved but from the beach to the lobby is really only a 5 minute walk at best. People who complained about this are exaggerating.

The rooms were nice and clean and were stocked daily with more towels than you could possibly need, plus water, beer and soda. I found the bed to be a little hard but I am one of those people who like a super soft mattress that you sink into. My husband thought it was comfy. We were on the 1st floor which was a little noisy if you wanted to sleep in but it is so beautiful outside why spend all your time in the room.

The beach was beautiful. A little bit of seaweed in the water directly in front of our section of the hotel but if you walked literally 15 feet down that water was perfect. The hotel provides free snorkel gear for an hour each day. I didn’t learn that until our last day so if you like to snorkel be sure to take advantage. There was basic snack food on the beach like hamburgers, nachos, etc. If you stay at the Del Mar and want food on the beach go to the food stand at the Pariso. If you are facing the ocean it is the second food stand on the beach to your right. It offers a few more options. Taste wise the chicken was the best thing offered.

The pools at the hotel were awesome. There are 3. The pool closest to the beach is the warmest. The pool bar furthest from the beach is the coldest but the best. Oli is the bartender and is super friendly. If he makes you a shot that has an inappropriate name drink it. It is amazing. Overall the drinks at the pool bar are decent. It is not top shelf liquor but it does the job. If you want top shelf pay an extra $1,000 per person and stay at the Grand.
For the best drinks outside of the pool go to the lobby bar or the cigar bar in the shopping village. I don’t smoke cigars but no one was in there smoking. That is where you can get the top shelf liquor.

As far as the food goes I wasn’t impressed. Each person has different tastes so if you like Applebees, Wendy’s, or Grand Corral you may like the food here. I unfortunately did not but was still able to gain a few pounds trying to find something I liked and by the end of the week I did. Overall the best thing you can eat while you are there is the Mexican food and really stick to the chicken or shredded pork. If you don’t like Mexican food don’t come to Mexico. The Italian food was awful, they destroyed seafood, and even the specialty restaurants were bad. With that being said I would still go back to this hotel because overall it was a great experience. Here are my tips on finding the best food at the Del Mar. First, the taco place in the shopping village had the best food. We ate there 3 times and each time it was really good. The ice cream at the resort is AMAZING!!! Try the coconut. The best coffee is at the lobby bar. Try cappuccino with a splash of Kaluha. For your specialty restaurants I recommend booking the Mexican for all 3. Get the tortilla soup; also try the soup at the appetizer buffet and the black bean tostada. For your entre avoid the seafood and go for the chicken. The other restaurants we tried were the Mediterranean and the gourmet one. We would have been better off going to the taco bar. If you have the chance I suggest taking the hotel taxi into downtown Playa Del Carmen and eating a meal there. We did and the food in town was spectacular!

Room Tip: Try and get a room in building 13 or 14. It will put you in the middle of the resort.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Clients,

On behalf of the management of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor how your vacations went at our Complex.

Thank you so very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We regret to know that the food at the specialty restaurants was not the best for you; we have already forwarded your feedback to the Chef and the management to do our best and offer always great experiences at every restaurant.

We are pleased to have delivered you a fabulous vacation; we will forward your comments and greetings to our Staff that made your stay a very special vacation.

Ontario,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar for one week in Buiding 12. We only had one issue upon arrival which our Sunwing Rep helped us resolve, The staff were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. We left lots of tips. Al la Cartes were good. Buffets were open air and although you could always find something good to eat, they did become a little boring as the week wore on. We enjoyed the convenience of the beach snack bar with a wide variety of things to choose from. The activities staff were amazing. There was always something going on from Limbo to beach volleyball, beach games, mechanical bull riding, pool games, paella on the beach, etc. We also got to see the baby turtles being release and making their way to the sea. Rooms were very well kept. The housekeeping staff did an amazing job every day always leaving new towel art on the bed. We shopped both in Playa Del Carmen and at the hotel's mall which had some pretty decent prices. The Taco shop, Crepe shop and Burger Place (included in your all inclusive package) were big hits with many. The grounds were beautiful and very well kept. We were the second building from the beach which was an amazing location.... close to pool and beach. The main lobby was a 5 - 10 minute walk but there were carts available to those who wanted a ride. Beach was beautiful. Some people complained of mosquitos. We didn't seem to find that to be a problem. Very nice resort.

Room Tip: 2nd or third floor for view and if you do not love walking, ask for a building that is central to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guests,

We appreciate the time you took to share with us and Trip Advisor your opinion regarding your recent stay at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar.

It is great to read that you found that the service of the Staff was always outstanding, friendly and helpful. These comments are truly important to us, as our team’s main reward is the recognition of their hard work.

We feel honored to know that you have enjoyed your recent stay at our Hotel; we have forwarded your comments to the Staff and the people in charge of every department to keep them motivated.

We feel confident to offer you our warm hospitality at any Iberostar and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Riviera Maya.

Radom, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If u need to spend some time in magic place - Iberostar Playa Del Mar is best choice!!!! we were in big group (83 people) and i all i heard was: i need to come back here.

Private beach, excellent food (lots of choices) kind and helpfull stuff (special greetings to Guadelupe and Jorge)!!! Every day our room was clean and tidy. The grounds have so many pools, ponds, animals, and plant life. I highly recommend a stay here.

if u want to go to the city, taxi costs 25$ one way or you can go by bus from the lobby - cost 5$ one way:)))

we had best time ever!

Representative of Navo group
-Anna:))))

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Clients,

On behalf of the Staff and management we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience at Iberostar.

Please know that the management and staff at Iberostar Resorts are committed to providing an ambience which satisfies the needs of our diverse clientele and it is so gratifying to know that you were happy with it.

We appreciate that you decided to stay at our hotel for your vacations and we are pleased that your stay was great. We have congratulated our Staff and the people in charge of every department that cooperated in delivering happiness and an unforgettable experience.

We hope you give us the chance to stay again at Iberostar; our Staff would be looking forward to your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We just got back from this hotel and had an amazing time. We travelled with our 18 months old daughter. We travelled from London Gatwick, so it was a very long flight, but so worth it!

Room

We stayed in a building number 12, the room was couple of minutes from the pool and the beach, it was about 10 mins walk from the lobby and some restaurants, we liked to walk as our daughter liked to look at the animals, birds, palm trees etc. It was very enjoyable walk, we only took their beach shuttle when it rained and towards the end of our stay as our daughter loved the ride from the beach to the shopping centre.

Pool

Gorgeous pool, the main pool seems to be the busiest one with a swim up bar and water activities i.e. aqua aerobics, water games. We liked the quieter part so our daughter could nap, still not far from the bar and ice cream parlour! ( the raspberry cheesecake and hazelnut ice creams were my favourite).

Beach

Gorgeous beach, plenty of sunbeds, did not get crowded, loads of room for children to run, play in the sand. It was quite rough on our first day but then was calmer most of the time.

Good beach bar, grill bar. We liked the burgers, hot dogs, but for healthier options we ate at the other restaurants near the beach.

Enjoyed the beach party and meal they cooked there - paella! Also riding a mechanical bull was fun to watch.

Good buffet, variety of fruits, cereals, pastries, continental breaskfast, good choice for lunch too. Dinner was good also, but as we stayed for 2 weeks we went to 6 speciality restaurants.

Steak house

The started was a buffet, we liked the main meal - a steak, huge portion, it was served with corn on the cob, baked potato and broccoli.

My partner liked it, but said that he would have preferred it with chunky chips and a steak sauce, i.e. pepper sauce or bernaise sauce.

Italian restaurant

Good starters, I had salad with beef slices. My partner had calamari.

We both had seafood pasta, it was a very tasty meal and my partner had it again in one of the other restaurants ( gourmet).

Japanese

Great food, wok is cooked in the kitchen, the other dishes right in front of you. Very entertaining, great quality, we loved the beef, I also had shrimps and octopus.

Mediterranean

Very classy looking restaurant.

Buffet starters - choice of seafood, including scallops, calamari etc etc.

Main dish - we had sea and land classics - lobster tail and beef steak. This meal is to die for! The steak was even better than in the steak house, oh and that lobster...gorgeous.

Gourmet

This restaurant is not in a booking folder, so we had to ask when making reservations.

I absolutely loved this restaurant, really classy, great atmosphere and amazing food.

I had prawn cocktail to start with, my partner had some other seafood dish.

I had lobster and mushroom risoto as a main dish, I really loved the lobster!

Entertainment

There is a great entertainment team, they work so hard to make your stay even better, I did aqua aerobics few times and it was fun, as I was there with our daughter I mainly watched the other activities i.e. zumba, beach volleyball, beach soccer, archery, water polo, water games, salsa. Etc etc etc

The Star friends are really friendly people, they talked to us a lot, interacted with our daughter. One of the Star friends named Gama sat at lunch with us one day and we really enjoyed his company.

There are activities all day, I also went to the Show couple of times, it was fun, and again the Star friends do their best to entertain you without being pushy.

There was a show on every evening, I enjoyed the mexican night, magic night, movie night.....

You will love the entertainment team!

Also, there seems to be a great kids club, our daughter was too young for it but I really liked their play area and activities they were doing.

Towels and pool

We liked to use the pool beds, as there are not many, they are popular. I used to put my towels down before breakfast, but one day the towels were removed and some other person put clothes etc. on the bed, I was advised by the person giving the towels that I could not reserve the bed, apparently we had to put pool towel and some personal belongings.

We reported the stolen towelsto reception, there was a long list of people who reported stolen towels, we were given a new towel card. This happened only once and I believe you would need to ay for a new towel if this happened again.

Tip for families with toddlers

We always took some breakfast cereal boxes for our daughter to have as a snack, also handy to take some fruit ( buffet restaurant has largest choice of fruit) and some pastry.

Our daughter only drank the tap bottled water, it is either in your minibar or some restaurants, bear in mind the buffet restaurants only had mineral water which was too fizzy for a child.

Overall a fabulous holiday, would love to go again. It was a long flight but well worth it!

Oh, other tourists were - when we arrived mainly Americans, on our second weeks Canadians, and many many Russians, some were American Russians speaking English but with heavy accents and claiming that they were from America when asked, some were from Russia, also Mexicans and many families with babies and young children.

We were very happy, great location,great restaurants, fabulous beach, great entertainment team etc etc. Our daughter laughte all the animals - swans, flamengos, turtles, parrots, lizzards, coatis etc.

Bring some good quality mosquito repellent with you! We used it mainly in the evenings but got bitten couple of times in a day too.

You cannot go wrong, we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear guests,

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to all this single employees that make our hotel stand out and that at the end are the ones that would make you choose us again in the future. We have forwarded your feedback to our Staff and Gamma; your words will be very motivating!

It is gratifying to know we contributed to the happiness of our guests and we trust you give us again the opportunity to stay at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar on your next visit to Riviera Maya.

We feel confident to offer you our warm hospitality at any Iberostar in the future and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Paraiso del Mar.

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

As a fairly seasoned traveler to the Riviera Maya (8 times), I know there are a plethora of reviews that basically state most of the same things again and again, but I hope this helps someone out a little. :)

Stayed the 1st - 6th at the Del Mar. I have also stayed at the Iberostar Maya and the Tucan/Quetzal as well as the Riu and the Valentin. With that said, those who may be looking to compare the Iberostars in Playacar, I can help some.

Let's get to the most popular question of all - how is the beach? If you haven't ever been to this resort and you are beach bum or just love the sand...you are in for a treat. The resort is situated on the north end of 5 Iberostar hotels and while it is on the lower cost end, the beach is incredible. If you understand that you will have rain at least part of your stay, you will be fine. I have had the pleasure of being in Mexico during a category 2 and in the middle of high season where it doesn't rain much. This particular Sept, they are experiencing a lot of rain. While I was there they got at least 6 inches of rain in a few days. That being said, people still make it to the beach, the pools are still open and the bars are stocked.

The beach is wonderful. I counted at least 300 palapas and during Sept (rainy season), I was up at 7 am on the beach and there were maybe 5 or 6 others until 8 or 9 am. The resort was at 60% ish capacity, so no worries on trying to get a chair, there are plenty. If you are staying at the Del Mar or the Beach, you have a very large selection of the beach chairs/palapas. In fact, if you happen to be staying in building 10 facing the ocean and are on the ground floor, you can literally walk off the patio onto the beach and because of the way the beach curves, you almost have a private beach to yourself. Yes, there are rocks in front of the Del Mar, but not completely, they are large, you can still get in and you just walk a few steps south and you have a perfect beach entrance that all the hotels share. No issues there. Seaweed? Yep, its the ocean and its there, but so minimal it is a non issue. Being there right before the storm, your water won't be perfect, but its pretty darn close..what I mean by that is you can only see down to your knees...honestly - again, not an issue..the water is a green teal that is incredible period. And if you are patient, the second the sun comes out after the storm, the water is so clear, you can see your feet and the fish that often visit briefly. I walked past the Grand and honestly, while that beach is a little tighter on the sand (packed tighter), I personally thought the beach in front of the Maya/Lindo/Beach/Delmar was better. Softer, deeper and its shallow enough a good distance out to stand.

Restaurants...since I have stayed at the Maya and now the Del Mar, they are basically the same. Ate at the Japanese, the Gourmet and the Medtrn. All good, however, the service at the Gourmet was the best...and the house wine there was a great deal better than the other restaurants - not sure why but it was an upgrade. You can purchase bottles if you prefer, but otherwise, the house wine is ok.

Shuttle into PDC - yes, $5 per person each way. Shuttle leaves at 9,11,2,5 and returns at 12, 3,6,8. Drops you off in a lot with bathrooms (which are HARD to come by in the city) and you walk through a silver shop and turn right to head towards 75% of the shops and right to hit the others. There are great shops on either end, but most people head south because of the number of shops - either way is fine.

Always stop at Ah Cacao for a little chocolate and coffee that will lend you a new addiction.

Overall, the Del Mar is a good resort. The grounds are amazing, the pools are spectacular and the staff works really hard to ensure you have a great trip.

The one thing that was different about this trip was that I had a tub and not the awesome walk in showers - maybe its a first floor thing..what I know is that the design is not good, and that would be the only thing I would change. However, its a design issue, the staff can't change that. Bell boys come within moments of calls, trams run constantly, maintenance issue was solved within 10 minutes and that was at 10 pm at night. There are bali beds that sit back towards the jungle area to use, and hammocks....at most resorts, you pay extra for that. In the quiet pool - there are bali beds everywhere...

Tips: Coconut ice cream in a cup with a little Kahula..learned that a few years ago and still amazing. Chip clips from home, the tall thin ones, not the long ones are GREAT for holding towels on your beach chair when it gets windy. Bring sunscreen - its EXPENSIVE in town and at the resort. Water is $6 at the airport..drink a lot before you get there.. SHOES -this is extremely important - cheap flips are dangerous when its wet. If you can get some that have a little grip like sketchers, do it. I fell and hurt myself and I know the drill - they have signs, but it still happens..you need traction.

If you have specifics - feel free to email me - happy to help.

Room Tip: Building 10 faces ocean. 11,12,13 jungle. 14 was my location - closer to beach and pool and further...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

On behalf of the Staff and the Iberostar Paraiso del Mar Management, we would like to thank you for choosing us again for your vacation.

Thank you so very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

Please know that the management and staff at Iberostar Resorts are committed to providing an ambience which satisfies the needs of our diverse clientele and it is so gratifying to know that you enjoyed it all!

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to Mexico, you will not hesitate to visit us again since we earnestly look forward to hosting you once more.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I just got back from the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar / Beach and had an amazing time. My fiance and I went for 7 days 6 nights in late August / early September. The weather was a little crazy. Summer showers pretty much every day but we never went a day without sun. The hotel is huge and there are tons of things to do. There is never a dull moment. Overall we had an absolutely amazing experience and are planning our return next year.

DISTANCE: The hotel is about 30 minutes from the Cancun airport. We hired a private transfer called USA Transfers.It was 80 dollars private van round trip. They are punctual and the drivers were very nice.
HOTEL: The grounds are just beautiful. The staff works to keep it clean all the time. There is really cool wildlife everywhere but they are never bothersome. They keep to themselves. I know there are some reviews where people complain about the walk. Here is my thought, from one end of the hotel to the other is a 10 minute walk (strolling). Those that complain about a 10 minute walk are extremely lazy and probably need some exercise to begin with. The hotel is just beautiful and walking around was always a bonus. Lastly, the staff was great! Super nice people that went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. The nightly shows were very entertaining and a great way to end the evening.
BEACH: Spectacular! The staff kept the beach clean all day and night. There were more than enough chairs for everyone and there were always empty ones around. The only thing you may need to come early for is a chair under the umbrellas. Those can sometimes go quickly. We walked for quite a few miles in both directions of the coast and the Iberostar beach was the nicest and most clean. The water was warm and there was little to no seaweed. The bar at the beach was great. Never a line to get something to drink and there was staff that walked around bringing drinks to you. There was also a snack bar at the beach in case you have the munchies.
RESTAURANT: We ate at the Mexican restaurant which was OK ... nothing out of the ordinary. We also ate at the Japanese restaurant which was fun because it was a Hibachi. Good food, good chefs that put on a show. Lastly we had dinner at the Mediterranean Restaurant which was awesome. The food was amazing and next time I may reserve it twice! The buffets were very good for both breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There were 4 buffets at the hotel and all of them were good. Tasty food with lots of options.
ROOM: Very clean. The showers were fine. I don't know what other people complained about. The water pressure was good and everything was clean. The only thing is that it was a little too dark, more lighting would have been a plus. We stayed in building 37. Again, the walk was fine ... nothing was far. The only comment I would make about the rooms is that if you like to sleep in early, get a room near the pools. The nightly shows end a little late (close to midnight) and you can hear the music from the rooms.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep in early, get a room near the pools. The nightly shows end a little late (close...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation.

Thank you so very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay here. Your feedback is very helpful to us to evaluate our service.

We hope you give us the chance to stay again at Iberostar; our Staff would be waiting for your next visit to Riviera Maya.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Share your experiences!