“Had a great time in Iberostar Del Mar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

You added Iberostar Paraiso del Mar to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal-Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Montreal, Canada
“Had a great time in Iberostar Del Mar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Went there with my 5 years old daughter, my wife and my mother in law. They got us two adjacent rooms at block #12. Very well located , 1 min from both the beach and the pool. The pool is huge and very clean. One thing we've notice is the lack of children's water playground, but it's only our opinion since our daughter really enjoyed the big pool and had a great time in it. The buffet food on the Iberostar Del Mar/Beach is good and there's enough variety so you don't get tired of it. We've tried 3 à la Carte, the Mediterranean , the Mexican and the Brazilian. For my part, those restaurant was below my expectation but still not that bad. The service was amazing all week long. Waiters, Bartenders, valets, chambermaids, concierges: everyone was very kind and helpful. I would strongly recommend Iberostar Del Mar to anyone who's looking for a amazing time on a "not too expansive" resort in Mexico.

Room Tip: I recommend the block 12
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear client,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We appreciate you had a great stay; this is the type of comments we love to receive from our guests after a wonderful stay.

We have shared your feedback with the Executive Chef and his Staff, they will take all your comments in consideration to keep improving and make sure every experience at the specialty restaurants is unforgettable.

Thank you for highlighting the amazing service provided by our Staff during your stay, we have already forwarded these to them, this will keep them motivated to offer the same incredible service to our clients.

We hope you give us the honor of welcoming you back to Paraiso del Mar.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed at the resort for one week with my sister's family and my two daughters (ages 10 and 14). Excellent stay...helpful staff, clean rooms and surroundings, good food, large variety of activities (kudos to the Star Friends team, they are awesome). Kids loved the animals that were roaming freely around the resort, the beach was awesome and the water perfect. Pool is the largest I've ever seen and had no shortage of chairs. Wi-Fi is an issue that could be looked at and maybe the resort can at least provide free wi-fi in the lobby for the guests' needs.
Saw some of the terrible comments on the site and I am not sure what people are complaining about, everything worked out good for us and we had a great time. Walking was fine and did not bother us at all, we enjoyed discovering all the paths around the resort.

Room Tip: We had a building in the middle (1600) and if you choose 1500 or 1600 you are halfway between the po...
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review. It was also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your holidays among us so much.

As per the internet we are already working to provide a larger wireless internet access signal to offer this service at the rooms and also the pools, hopefully in September we will be offering this service to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back. We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Travelled Aug 17 to Aug 24

Really glad that we took this vacation and chosen this resort for our 10th anniversary!

building 14 was in the middle of the resort which a great location, in between the lobby/buffet and the beach and across the many pools. they are 4 resorts right next to each other so theres a lot of walking which we didn't mind.

the resort was always clean and the staff did an amazing job keeping it up.

this resort i found was geared towards family which was good since we really don't like rowdy crowds.

the Star Friends really did an excellent job keeping both family and kids entertained. I enjoyed their company!

the beach I found that the rocky area was the best place to snorkel and the clean area was the best place to swim, it catered to both! Huts as always taken early which we know already just like in many resorts!

the food was good, its nice to wake up and eat and not worry about cooking! the choices in the buffet maybe repetitive but we always found something to eat.

the a la cartes the mexican food was not great but the italian and the japanese was great! Juan kept us entertained while cooking!

the hotel room was very spacious and the lady helper kept our room clean and always w/ fresh towels, she also kept our mini fridge always full.

Over all this resort met our standard and more! Were planning to come back and bring the kids along next time.

Suggestion: please have the wifi accessible to the rooms. Im sure many would pay for it. The lobby was the main wifi area which we needed to buy thru front desk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so very much for the invaluable feedback you have shared with us and fellow travelers with respect to your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service.

We are more than happy to know that you found the facilities and the service from our Staff so amazing, they are motivated by these comments to keep offering the same service they are proud to give to our guests.

Please know that the management and staff at Iberostar Resorts are committed to providing an ambience which satisfies the needs of our diverse clientele. The management has already started a new wireless internet access program; hopefully in September we will be able to offer internet at the rooms and the pool area.

We genuinely hope that if ever returning to Mexico, you will not hesitate to visit us again since we earnestly look forward to hosting you once more.

Warm regards,

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I have only two comments to say: 1. The food in the buffets was the same every day, and needs more flavor or condiments. 2. The cocktails at the bars they didn't know how to prepare a virgin margarita and my favorite a "suero".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We have already forwarded your feedback to the Food and Beverage Manager and the Executive Chef; they do their best to offer a good product and always like to read our guests’ feedback to keep improving.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and enjoy again a great vacation at Paraiso del Mar!

Crystal Lake, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just returned from another fabulous week (despite two solid days of rain....not Iberostars fault!)
at the Del Mar. This was my third visit to the property - this trip was with 11 girlfriends just for fun. I will just hit the highlights, as I know that reviews get repetitive:
The Mediterranian Restaurant was FABULOUS! We had steak and lobster and it was cooked to perfection. We also visited the Italian (eh), the Mexican (good) and the Japaneese (all the same food no matter where you are!). Yes, the buffets get repetitive, but if you can't find something that you like, then you need to move to the Four Seasons! The BEST kept secret in the entire resort is that the food at the shopping plaza is INCLUDED! The absolute best taco shop (open for lunch), best burger joint (opens at 7 PM), great ice cream/crepe shop, and new since my last visit - full service top shelf bar! The do serve beer at both the taco and burger place also.
Yes, it is a large complex. We love the walk, the property is beautiful! If you don't want to (or can't) walk, the trollies run pretty frequently. Be patient - they'll be by!
Junior suites are housed in Bldgs 10 (beachfront) and 11. If you end up in 11, I highly recommend the third floor just because you can see thorugh some of the foilage. It is a bit jungle like on that end.
Shows....eh...not why we go. I prefer to skip them. Entertainment staff does work very hard and there are lots of things to keep you busy during the day if you so choose...or not!
Bartenders are slammed all of the time, so again, be patient and a dollar goes a long way. If the wait is too long at the pool, there are 5 bars within about a two minute walk! What you will get depends on who makes it, so just know to be specific if you want your "foofey" drink a certain way.

Book it. For the value - you can't beat this place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Iberostar Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar once again for your recent stay!

It is our pleasure to know that your experience was amazing and that you highlight so many different things to do at our Hotel. We have already forwarded your comments to our Staff and the people in charge of every department, they will be more than glad to know their efforts made your stay incredible.

We are happy to know that the Hotel was amazing and you had a nice experience, we have already forwarded your comments to the Chef to have your feedback of the specialty restaurants and the buffets also.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future; if this is the case please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I am a single parent and traveled with my 19 & 17 years old in August 2013. This was our first trip to an Iberostar Resort. It is a nice resort and we would go back but in my opinion the Del Mar is not a "5-star" resort as indicated on their website. Maybe I don't know what would qualify for 5-star. When I think of 5-star I think of hot tubs in the rooms with thick luxurious bath towels (this is not the case).

We booked with Paraiso Beach but ended up on the Del Mar side which did not make a difference. I actually was very pleased with the location of our building (20). It was close to the lobby, the theater, and buffet restaurants. Our building was the furthest from the beach but that did not bother us. It was a nice leisurely walk on a shaded path with nice scenery and well maintained grounds.

SIZE: When we first arrived the resort seemed large and overwhelming but after a day or so I got my bearings and it was really not that bad. Yes, there will be walking involved but nothing to complain about. I don't understand the people that complained on TripAdvisor about the walking. Maybe they were elderly? In any case, not an issue for us. We did see trams passing but I can't comment on their schedule or frequency since we didn't use them.

ROOM: The room was nice (marble floors and showers) and spacious with a sliding door that lets you out onto your own little private balcony. The bed was comfortable. TV in the room but we couldn't find an English speaking channel so it just stayed off. My fridge was stocked every day (even though the website says every other day). The maid did a great job cleaning and leaving towel sculptures each day. Sidenote: If you use conditioner for your hair, bring your own as they do not supply it.

FOOD: The buffets were good with a nice variety of food. Yes, there are some foods that you will find at each meal - usually the foods catering to children - such a pizza, french fries, hamburgers, etc. Of course there is also chicken, fish, meats, etc at each meal but they were cooked differently and used in different recipes. We were satisfied with the food at the buffets but did get old after 4 days straight. When we booked our trip we didn't realize you are only allowed a certain number of reservations at the ala carte dinners based on the number of nights you stay. We stay 6 nights and only allowed 2 reservations. I think more than 2 should be granted for a six-night stay. We put our name on a wait list for a 3rd night but nothing ever opened. Our 2 reservations were on our last 2 nights (that's all that was available) with the Italian Restaurant and the Steakhouse. It would've been nice if we could have separated those 2 nights throughout the trip. Food was good in both but both restaurants were open air (no air conditioning). That may not be the case with the others. The waiter was very friendly and worked hard to please you ... always smiling. Sidenote: Make sure you check ahead of time which food stations are open when. Although you can get food any time they are not all open all the time.

BEACH: The beach is beautiful. White soft sand and turquoise water. We would arrive to the beach around 9:30-10am and could not get a palapa even though no one was sitting on the chairs beneath them. They were reserved with towels on them (many with just towels - no shoes or other items around) so it does seem as if people go to the beach very early in the morning to stake their claim. Plenty of beach chairs available - not a problem finding empty ones. Bali beds, hammocks, and massages all available on the beach. There is also a bar and a food station which served lunch along with activities (volleyball, soccer, airgun, archery, etc). The dive center offered both free activities and activities for a fee. We had a couple of days of "red flag" water .. it was a little rough so they would not let us use the snorkel gear. We rented jet skis one day - that was a lot of fun.

POOL: Pool is HUGE. Plenty of room and never felt crowded. A nice swim from one side to the other with a couple of swim up bars. there is a "quiet" section and a "game section". The waterfall was pretty but there was some debris around (leaves from the trees) that accumulated in that area (probably because it was were the pool ends). Palapas, bali beds, and beach loungers all available at the pool. There are 2 ice scream stations behind the swim up bars. Worth it to stop by for one.

STAR FRIENDS: I cannot say enough about the "Star Friends".... I don't remember all the names but they were absolutely THE BEST!! They were friendly, outgoing, and took the time to ask (and remember) your name. They always had a huge smile on their face and it seemed that they loved their jobs. They took care of all the activities around the beach and pool areas with lots of positive energy. We miss them the most.

THEATER: We really enjoyed the nightly shows and attended almost every one while we were there. The music was upbeat and the dancers, singers, and band worked really hard to entertain you. Before the show they have Bingo every night at 8:30. I even won myself a bottle of Tequila! :)

WILDLIFE: I have read some negative comments about the wildlife on the property. Yes, there is wildlife and we personally enjoyed it all. The peacocks, flamingos, swans, iguanas, birds, cats, and yes, even the coati! All just added to the pleasant experience.

INTERNET: No internet in the rooms - only in the lobby (on your device) and for a fee. There is an area in the billiard room where you can pay to use their computer and internet.

TIPS: Yes, if they serviced us, we tipped... the maid, person who stocked our fridge, our waiters, waitresses, bellhop, etc. Not mandatory and they do not seem to expect it but it does put a nice smile on their face when you tip. A dollar, two, or three here and there goes a long way for them.

TOURS: There are tour desks available in the lobby utilized by several companies. I would advise DO NOT USE Olympus Tours (they wear the bright orange shirts). We had a couple of negative experiences with them and would not use them again. Use one of the other companies there if you're interested in an off site excursion.

All in all, we all agreed we would go back to Iberostar Del Mar.

Room Tip: We were in building 20 facing away from the theater so no late night noise. It was close to the lob...
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations; it satisfies us that you manifested that you felt like a Star at our Hotel.

We will show all your nice and generous comments to the people that made this vacation such a special experience for you, the best reward that we can receive is our guests’ recognition.

It is great to know that everything was amazing during your stay and that you enjoyed the grounds, the beach, the pools and the service provided by our Staff. That way we know we are on the right track to achieve our main goal.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I would like to say I would give this resort 3.5 stars. We booked in the Del Mar, but our rooms were on the Beach side (which is irrelevant, except for arrival and departures). The resort is a very large complex consisting of 5 hotels with the Del Mar & Beach sharing amenities only with each other and the Lindo & Mayan & Grand (adult only) allowed to use all amenities at all. Overall all food was good as well as service. Pool Bars and Beach bars definitely needed more staff and waiter service was limited. The resort allowed a certain number of reservations for dinner depending on how many night you stayed we stayed for 5 nights and were allowed 2 reservations (please note I had 2 rooms) but they still would only allow 2 reservations to be made) With that we still were able to eat in the restaurants 4 of the 5 nights (1 required a small tip and we were able to get a table for 4 (we were a party of 6). Staff is very friendly and overall the resort is very clean. Many of the staff had very limited English and basic questions could not be answered (I mean security and waiters). Truly my only complaint about this resort complex is the limited tram service. In the 5 days and numerous trips to and from lobby to the beach/pool which is about a 10 minute walk. We only had the opportunity to pick up the tram twice. We were traveling with my 70 year old mother who is in excellent health but this walk was a bit much for her, You could also see how difficult it was for families with small children. We have stayed at other large resorts and this service needs to be improved. There is one road between the Beach/Lindo Sides that leads to the beach and the tram should be running consistently during beach/pool hours. All and all a good vacation and would be willing to stay again at an Iberostar resort.

Room Tip: I would choose a room centrally located in the resort. If you are by the pool/beach there is only li...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We feel happy knowing that the food and service was always great and that you enjoyed a very nice vacation with your family. As you mention Iberostar Paraiso del Mar and Beach share the same facilities, services and restaurants.

We are more than glad to know you were able to get into 4 specialty restaurants during your stay. We guarantee limited reservations depending on our guests stay, but we can also offer extra dinner reservations if availability (due to cancellations) allows it.

We regret to know that you were unhappy with transportation. The hotel has 2 trains that offer transportation to our guests around the premises, during the morning it runs from 7 a.m. until 11 a.m. and in the afternoon from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. in the meantime the bell boys offer transportation in the golf carts. The time that the train takes from one side to the other side depends on the amount of guests using it. In any case please rest assured that we have already forwarded your comments to the Front Desk Department and main Management to take the necessary actions to improve the service.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and offer you the great service you deserve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 stars 8,544 reviews

Been to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Share your experiences!