“Third time and still love this place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso del Mar to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal-Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Crystal Lake, IL
“Third time and still love this place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just returned from another fabulous week (despite two solid days of rain....not Iberostars fault!)
at the Del Mar. This was my third visit to the property - this trip was with 11 girlfriends just for fun. I will just hit the highlights, as I know that reviews get repetitive:
The Mediterranian Restaurant was FABULOUS! We had steak and lobster and it was cooked to perfection. We also visited the Italian (eh), the Mexican (good) and the Japaneese (all the same food no matter where you are!). Yes, the buffets get repetitive, but if you can't find something that you like, then you need to move to the Four Seasons! The BEST kept secret in the entire resort is that the food at the shopping plaza is INCLUDED! The absolute best taco shop (open for lunch), best burger joint (opens at 7 PM), great ice cream/crepe shop, and new since my last visit - full service top shelf bar! The do serve beer at both the taco and burger place also.
Yes, it is a large complex. We love the walk, the property is beautiful! If you don't want to (or can't) walk, the trollies run pretty frequently. Be patient - they'll be by!
Junior suites are housed in Bldgs 10 (beachfront) and 11. If you end up in 11, I highly recommend the third floor just because you can see thorugh some of the foilage. It is a bit jungle like on that end.
Shows....eh...not why we go. I prefer to skip them. Entertainment staff does work very hard and there are lots of things to keep you busy during the day if you so choose...or not!
Bartenders are slammed all of the time, so again, be patient and a dollar goes a long way. If the wait is too long at the pool, there are 5 bars within about a two minute walk! What you will get depends on who makes it, so just know to be specific if you want your "foofey" drink a certain way.

Book it. For the value - you can't beat this place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Iberostar Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar once again for your recent stay!

It is our pleasure to know that your experience was amazing and that you highlight so many different things to do at our Hotel. We have already forwarded your comments to our Staff and the people in charge of every department, they will be more than glad to know their efforts made your stay incredible.

We are happy to know that the Hotel was amazing and you had a nice experience, we have already forwarded your comments to the Chef to have your feedback of the specialty restaurants and the buffets also.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future; if this is the case please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

2,650 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Polish first
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I am a single parent and traveled with my 19 & 17 years old in August 2013. This was our first trip to an Iberostar Resort. It is a nice resort and we would go back but in my opinion the Del Mar is not a "5-star" resort as indicated on their website. Maybe I don't know what would qualify for 5-star. When I think of 5-star I think of hot tubs in the rooms with thick luxurious bath towels (this is not the case).

We booked with Paraiso Beach but ended up on the Del Mar side which did not make a difference. I actually was very pleased with the location of our building (20). It was close to the lobby, the theater, and buffet restaurants. Our building was the furthest from the beach but that did not bother us. It was a nice leisurely walk on a shaded path with nice scenery and well maintained grounds.

SIZE: When we first arrived the resort seemed large and overwhelming but after a day or so I got my bearings and it was really not that bad. Yes, there will be walking involved but nothing to complain about. I don't understand the people that complained on TripAdvisor about the walking. Maybe they were elderly? In any case, not an issue for us. We did see trams passing but I can't comment on their schedule or frequency since we didn't use them.

ROOM: The room was nice (marble floors and showers) and spacious with a sliding door that lets you out onto your own little private balcony. The bed was comfortable. TV in the room but we couldn't find an English speaking channel so it just stayed off. My fridge was stocked every day (even though the website says every other day). The maid did a great job cleaning and leaving towel sculptures each day. Sidenote: If you use conditioner for your hair, bring your own as they do not supply it.

FOOD: The buffets were good with a nice variety of food. Yes, there are some foods that you will find at each meal - usually the foods catering to children - such a pizza, french fries, hamburgers, etc. Of course there is also chicken, fish, meats, etc at each meal but they were cooked differently and used in different recipes. We were satisfied with the food at the buffets but did get old after 4 days straight. When we booked our trip we didn't realize you are only allowed a certain number of reservations at the ala carte dinners based on the number of nights you stay. We stay 6 nights and only allowed 2 reservations. I think more than 2 should be granted for a six-night stay. We put our name on a wait list for a 3rd night but nothing ever opened. Our 2 reservations were on our last 2 nights (that's all that was available) with the Italian Restaurant and the Steakhouse. It would've been nice if we could have separated those 2 nights throughout the trip. Food was good in both but both restaurants were open air (no air conditioning). That may not be the case with the others. The waiter was very friendly and worked hard to please you ... always smiling. Sidenote: Make sure you check ahead of time which food stations are open when. Although you can get food any time they are not all open all the time.

BEACH: The beach is beautiful. White soft sand and turquoise water. We would arrive to the beach around 9:30-10am and could not get a palapa even though no one was sitting on the chairs beneath them. They were reserved with towels on them (many with just towels - no shoes or other items around) so it does seem as if people go to the beach very early in the morning to stake their claim. Plenty of beach chairs available - not a problem finding empty ones. Bali beds, hammocks, and massages all available on the beach. There is also a bar and a food station which served lunch along with activities (volleyball, soccer, airgun, archery, etc). The dive center offered both free activities and activities for a fee. We had a couple of days of "red flag" water .. it was a little rough so they would not let us use the snorkel gear. We rented jet skis one day - that was a lot of fun.

POOL: Pool is HUGE. Plenty of room and never felt crowded. A nice swim from one side to the other with a couple of swim up bars. there is a "quiet" section and a "game section". The waterfall was pretty but there was some debris around (leaves from the trees) that accumulated in that area (probably because it was were the pool ends). Palapas, bali beds, and beach loungers all available at the pool. There are 2 ice scream stations behind the swim up bars. Worth it to stop by for one.

STAR FRIENDS: I cannot say enough about the "Star Friends".... I don't remember all the names but they were absolutely THE BEST!! They were friendly, outgoing, and took the time to ask (and remember) your name. They always had a huge smile on their face and it seemed that they loved their jobs. They took care of all the activities around the beach and pool areas with lots of positive energy. We miss them the most.

THEATER: We really enjoyed the nightly shows and attended almost every one while we were there. The music was upbeat and the dancers, singers, and band worked really hard to entertain you. Before the show they have Bingo every night at 8:30. I even won myself a bottle of Tequila! :)

WILDLIFE: I have read some negative comments about the wildlife on the property. Yes, there is wildlife and we personally enjoyed it all. The peacocks, flamingos, swans, iguanas, birds, cats, and yes, even the coati! All just added to the pleasant experience.

INTERNET: No internet in the rooms - only in the lobby (on your device) and for a fee. There is an area in the billiard room where you can pay to use their computer and internet.

TIPS: Yes, if they serviced us, we tipped... the maid, person who stocked our fridge, our waiters, waitresses, bellhop, etc. Not mandatory and they do not seem to expect it but it does put a nice smile on their face when you tip. A dollar, two, or three here and there goes a long way for them.

TOURS: There are tour desks available in the lobby utilized by several companies. I would advise DO NOT USE Olympus Tours (they wear the bright orange shirts). We had a couple of negative experiences with them and would not use them again. Use one of the other companies there if you're interested in an off site excursion.

All in all, we all agreed we would go back to Iberostar Del Mar.

Room Tip: We were in building 20 facing away from the theater so no late night noise. It was close to the lob...
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacations; it satisfies us that you manifested that you felt like a Star at our Hotel.

We will show all your nice and generous comments to the people that made this vacation such a special experience for you, the best reward that we can receive is our guests’ recognition.

It is great to know that everything was amazing during your stay and that you enjoyed the grounds, the beach, the pools and the service provided by our Staff. That way we know we are on the right track to achieve our main goal.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I would like to say I would give this resort 3.5 stars. We booked in the Del Mar, but our rooms were on the Beach side (which is irrelevant, except for arrival and departures). The resort is a very large complex consisting of 5 hotels with the Del Mar & Beach sharing amenities only with each other and the Lindo & Mayan & Grand (adult only) allowed to use all amenities at all. Overall all food was good as well as service. Pool Bars and Beach bars definitely needed more staff and waiter service was limited. The resort allowed a certain number of reservations for dinner depending on how many night you stayed we stayed for 5 nights and were allowed 2 reservations (please note I had 2 rooms) but they still would only allow 2 reservations to be made) With that we still were able to eat in the restaurants 4 of the 5 nights (1 required a small tip and we were able to get a table for 4 (we were a party of 6). Staff is very friendly and overall the resort is very clean. Many of the staff had very limited English and basic questions could not be answered (I mean security and waiters). Truly my only complaint about this resort complex is the limited tram service. In the 5 days and numerous trips to and from lobby to the beach/pool which is about a 10 minute walk. We only had the opportunity to pick up the tram twice. We were traveling with my 70 year old mother who is in excellent health but this walk was a bit much for her, You could also see how difficult it was for families with small children. We have stayed at other large resorts and this service needs to be improved. There is one road between the Beach/Lindo Sides that leads to the beach and the tram should be running consistently during beach/pool hours. All and all a good vacation and would be willing to stay again at an Iberostar resort.

Room Tip: I would choose a room centrally located in the resort. If you are by the pool/beach there is only li...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We feel happy knowing that the food and service was always great and that you enjoyed a very nice vacation with your family. As you mention Iberostar Paraiso del Mar and Beach share the same facilities, services and restaurants.

We are more than glad to know you were able to get into 4 specialty restaurants during your stay. We guarantee limited reservations depending on our guests stay, but we can also offer extra dinner reservations if availability (due to cancellations) allows it.

We regret to know that you were unhappy with transportation. The hotel has 2 trains that offer transportation to our guests around the premises, during the morning it runs from 7 a.m. until 11 a.m. and in the afternoon from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. in the meantime the bell boys offer transportation in the golf carts. The time that the train takes from one side to the other side depends on the amount of guests using it. In any case please rest assured that we have already forwarded your comments to the Front Desk Department and main Management to take the necessary actions to improve the service.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and offer you the great service you deserve.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Firstly we are English booked with Thompson and paid £600 for room upgrade don't bother we were told waterfall shower feature lots of extras hotel staff said upgrade was to guarantee better location but that's subjective to every individuals needs it means a room nearer beach! We had a balcony that was unusable due to overgrown trees which if that's what we wanted we would have gone on safari our swimwear wouldn't even dry!
I read the reviews and even though I saw some negative comments I trusted the majority I can only say I am devastated. We were told they like tips so from moment of arrival I tipped it made no difference. The carts are almost impossible to get even if you ring to book they don't turn up!
They also don't like to drive around the resort if you're staying in the del mar and want to go to the mall you have to make two journeys firstly to your lobby then on to mall.
I don't mean to upset anyone so please don't take offence but they loved the American and Canadian guests, who often were not tipping. They got served first and interacted with 100% more. I would swim up to the pool bar and could stand for twenty minutes waiting (except when Luis was working) other guests especially those who spoke Spanish would swim up and be served on one occasion I made several comments and was fuming.
Went to Japenese restaurant with our 12 year old son who actually sat and cried as all the show cooking and tricks were done to a large Canadian family and we saw none then they got most of the food and our son didn't get what he had ordered, it was heartbreaking to see him so upset.
The rep was lovely but did say very few English guests booked that hotel I saw why from our second day I can honestly say I wanted to go home and had had enough! Even when we were waiting for our transfer home and new guests arrived it confirmed to me that we were being treated differently they all had welcome drinks in large cocktails with fruit on sticks attached. We got a small glass with two coloured juice. Again my son noticed so I had one made for him.
We are a very friendly family and our son always makes friends but this felt and was like a them and us holiday. We have been to many countries and even when there have been language barriers we have felt more welcomed. It was embarrassing and we felt very uncomfortable.
We got home yesterday and I am still shocked at our experience I am sure many will read this and like I did with negative feedback ignore but all I will say is if you are English don't waste your time and money you are not wanted!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guests,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your vacation.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay since our main goal is the complete satisfaction of all our clients and the experience described is not what our service standard aims for.

As per the room comments, at the Hotel we do have 2 different rooms available the standard rooms and the junior suites, the junior suites are closer to the beach and are considered better located for this reason. Playa Paraiso Complex is located in a natural protected area and we cannot change any of the location of the trees or bushes, we can only make some modifications. We are sorry you were unhappy with this.

Regarding the transportation, we regret to know that you found it inexistent; at the Hotel we have 2 trains that offer transportation to our guests around the premises, during the morning it runs from 7 a.m. until 11 a.m. and in the afternoon from 6 p.m. until 10 p.m. In the meantime the bell boys offer transportation in the golf carts. The time that the train takes from one side to the other side depends on the amount of guests using it. We are really sorry to learn that in some occasions they did not seem to appear. This comment will be sent to Front Desk Department for their consideration.

As per the service provided at the pools, we apologize for the circumstance you described. We have already forwarded your comments to the Food & Beverage manager so that he can pay attention to this.

We regret to know that your son was unable to see the show at the restaurant and the food was different from what was ordered. The cooking show is made at the teppanyaki tables which are square tables for 18 people. The Chef cooks on both sides of the table to make sure our guests have the same view. We have forwarded your feedback to the Chef to verify what happened and to take your comments into account for our improvement.

We feel it is essential that we clarify that our staff, who are professionals in the tourism industry, are very much used to seeing guests from all over the world, and this is one of the things we all love. All our guests are important to us as it is thanks to all of you that we are still here in this demanding, competitive industry.

Once again we apologize for the experience you described during your stay, we really hope you give us the chance to welcome you back in the near future and restore your confidence in Iberostar.

Youngstown, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Spent 8/10 to 8/17 with my family of 5 and another family of 6.All the kids were teenagers. We all had an awesome time and everything was first class. No one got bored with all the available activities between the nightcub, the ibersostar shows, the endless selections of games on the beach, pool, etc. The dinners at the Japenese and mediterean were especially great restaurants.The buffets were all good as well but the restaurant food being still the best.All the personnel at the resort were extremely friendly and very helpful.They work so very hard as do all the entertainers to make sure you enjoy your vacation.It was our first time here and would love to return again.The only negative are that the beach and pool chairs are very uncomfortable being that they are a hard plastic.I hope that Iberostar updates them.After a few hours, your back is very sore.It was a truly fantastic experience.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

We are pleased to have delivered you a fabulous vacation. It is also great that you enjoyed the different activities we have for our guests, the amazing service provided by the Staff and the great food you found at the Buffets and specialty restaurants.

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to all this single employees that make our hotel stand out. We have already forwarded your comments to the management to take into consideration your feedback regarding the pool and beach chairs for our future improvement.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future to our Hotel and offer you the fantastic service you deserve.

Woolwich, Maine, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our family of six (Mom, Dad, 14, 18, 20, 22-year olds) just returned from a five night stay at Iberostar Paraiso Beach.
At check in, we were told we had been booked into two two-double bed rooms. We asked if there were any king bed rooms available with a double nearby for the kids. The desk agent was able to find us two rooms on the del Mar side of the resort as a free upgrade.
The rooms were beautiful and very comfortable. My wife and I especially liked our walk-in marble shower. Housekeeping left a cool towel sculpture each day and refilled our mini-bar with our requested beverages each day. We left a $2 usd tip each day in return.
Despite having two separate resorts side-by-side, we did not notice any difference other than having two separate lobbies. All restaurants, bars, pools, and activities were open to guests from either resort. We did prefer the buffet on the del Mar side as the service there seemed to be a bit more upscale. (Our daughters enjoyed having the waiters pull their chairs out for them.)
Specialty restaurants fill up fast, so make your reservations as soon as you arrive. We ate at the Steak House specialty only, and actually preferred the selection and service at the del Mar buffet.
Due to weather issues, the beach was red-flagged while we were there. However, coming from Maine, we were used to a colder water temp with some surf and enjoyed the beach anyway. The sand was beautiful and the water was warm, even if the locals said it was too cold to swim. (Maine water temp is lucky to be in the 60s in August !)
We had some morning rain showers on several days which created some issues for us. All of the lobby floors, walkways around the restaurants, and housing hallways are polished marble. Very beautiful, but also EXTREMELY slippery when wet. Use caution when returning to your room with wet feet from swimming or after a rain. The staff comes out in droves with squeegees after a rain, which helps, but you still need to be aware and take it slow.
The "Star Friends" activity staff was very pleasant and helpful. A daily schedule of activities was posted for the week offering a good variety of activities for all ages. Shows in the evening ranged from disappointing (Vegas) to spectacular (Sebastian the Magician). Arrive early (8:30 ish) to get a good table and play cards, have a drink, etc. until the pre-show starts around 9:00.
Very satisfied overall.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guests,

On behalf of the management we thank you for sharing your comments regarding your vacation at Iberostar.

We are thrilled that you highlighted several aspects of our facilities, and that the service from the Staff was always nice and welcoming.

It is great to know that the Front Desk was able to offer you a great location at the Hotel and your request of having your rooms closer was fulfilled. We have already forwarded your comments to the Front Desk and Housekeeping to make sure your nice experience is known by them and the people in charge of every department.

Your comments on the slippery show have been forwarded to Management.

It is gratifying to know we contributed to the happiness of our guests and we trust you will give us again the opportunity to host you at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar on your next visit to Riviera Maya!

Hoffman Estates, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is our second time at this resort and we've been to other Iberostars. The hotel is beautiful, great grounds, wildlife and public areas.
Our room was nice, the bed was great this time but if on the third floor (which we have been twice), don't expect great water pressure.
The food is great, even the buffet. Mexican night at the buffet was great. Room service although not a large menu, is perfect for an mid-afternoon or late night snack. Loved both theme restaurants that we had reservations; Mexican and Brazilian. My only complaint is the person at the reservation desk. Selena was the person on our last visit, there was someone different on this visit. I realize based on your reservation you only are allowed a certain number of nights, but we had two rooms, are repeat guests, and we did come each day and asked for any openings, any time, any restaurant, and she wouldn't even open her book to look, just gave me a flat out NO each time. Last time with Selena, she looked at all options and was able to help us. We weren't picky, we took Mexican three nights in a row. We prefer sit down and we purchased a bottle of wine each time. This would be a WIN for the resort, but she wasn't cooperating. This is the only part of the this vacation that I can honestly say I was unhappy about.

The lobby bar staff was fantastic. All of them knew us, what we were drinking and how to make it to our specifications. A couple of dollars here and there at this resort is always appreciated and it goes a long way. Even though it's all inclusive, these bartenders went above and beyond and were always happy and smiling even in the oppressive heat of the lobby. Mid-day there was no breeze, but they were busy.

The bell service and trolley staff were great. They take you were you want to go and take great care of you and your luggage. Carlos worked hard and carried all the bags up and down three flights of stairs.

Love the beach, really didn't have too hard of a time finding a shady area. We have a few people who couldn't be in the direct sun so we did find a great place for them to be able to enjoy the view and not be in the direct sunlight.

Definitely go to the shopping center. The taco bar and ice cream shop are a great way to get a snack and relax. The shops are great for shopping if you don't want to go into Playa.

If you want to go into town, take the bus in the lobby. It's cheaper then a taxi and very easy and convenient. At 2pm they leave the hotel and at 6pm they take you back to the hotel. Four hours is plenty of time to shop, and $10 round trip per person is a reasonable price.

Overall I would go back a third time, perhaps I would try one of the other resorts. They are all connected, but didn't have time on either trip to explore to see how they are different.

Room Tip: Buildings 11-15 are close to the pool and beach. Buildings 16-21 are closer to the buffets, restaur...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Iberostar Guests,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar again for your vacations.

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to all this single employees that make our hotel stand out and that at the end are the ones that would make you choose us again in the future.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the dinner reservations desk; we have already forwarded your comments to the Public Relations office to verify what happened and to take the necessary measures to keep offering our guests the most amazing service and the best experiences ever.

We feel confident to offer you our warm hospitality at any Iberostar and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back in Riviera Maya.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Share your experiences!