“Iberostar Del Mar delivers a great value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Paraiso del Mar

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Paraiso del Mar to your Saves list
Iberostar Paraiso del Mar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carrt. Chetumal-Pto. Juarez km. 309, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 10 hotels in Playa Paraiso
Cleveland, OH
“Iberostar Del Mar delivers a great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have stayed in the Riviera Maya many times over the last 12 years, and this is our 4th visit to an Iberostar resort. This trip, we stayed for 7 nights with our 9 and 5 year old boys. The Del Mar does a great job in all areas. We actually stayed at this resort over 10 years ago when it was still a new resort and not a whole lot has changed. Other than some normal wear and tear, the property is maintained extremely well and is quite expansive with so many beautiful areas to enjoy. Just so you can tell our point of comparison, our family has stayed at Dreams Tulum, Now Sapphire and Dreams Riviera Cancun in the last three years. Dollar for dollar, I think Iberostar is just as nice as the other purported ‘luxury’ resorts mentioned, but we paid far less and had just as nice, if not nicer vacation.

I have got to say that I am shocked by all of the people complaining about the food! We enjoyed most of our meals (some more than others) but we could always find something at one of the buffets for all of our varying tastes. It is great to experiment and try new things when on vacation and the buffet is the perfect opportunity to do so. One evening at the buffet, there was a lovely female chef walking around the dining room asking about our meals. They clearly aim to please in all service areas at this resort. We also ate at the Mexican, Hibachi and Steakhouse and enjoyed all three. If people expect to go to Mexico and have all food be exactly as it would be at home, then perhaps they should stay at home for goodness sake!

We would like to thank Jessica and Lilly in the Kids Club for a fabulous job! I had complete confidence leaving my youngest with them. He loved the activities and he asked to go back each day. It seems like a lot of the kids at the Kids Club were 6 and under during our stay, so my oldest son wasn’t into hanging out with the little ones, but he did take part in some of the nightly mini-disco activities in the theatre area. They do a great job with the kids!

We also want to give a special shout out to Benito and Cesar from the Star Friends who stand out as exceptional members of the staff. They are so charming and personable. My oldest son loved trying archery and air rifle on the beach with Benito. Cesar is hilarious and does a great job to say the least! Thanks, gentlemen! All of the Star Friends work so hard at keeping everyone entertained and encourage you to try new things without being overly intrusive. We really enjoyed them and they helped to make our stay so special.

These are the only downsides/constructive criticism that I have with this resort:
-The pool had a tendency to get dirty by the end of the day but this was due to sloppy guests dumping straws, cups and ice cream wrappers in the pool area and wearing too much sunscreen leaving a slimey substance in the water.
-The coatis are cute, but there are too many of them begging for food. Again, I think this is because hotel guests don’t honor the signs and still feed the animals.
-The drinks are a bit inconsistent depending on who is making them. The drinks at the pool seem to be especially weak. I had a mojito at the pool that was completely different from the one I had later that same evening in the lobby bar. The bartenders work really hard and seem to be a bit understaffed (almost to the point that I felt bad asking for drinks sometimes).

Overall though, a great stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you ever so much for your recent stay and for all these amazing comments!

We are more than glad to know that everything was incredible during your stay and you had lots to do with your children. It is great for us to know that the service provided by the Staff was outstanding and made your stay a great one.

We would like to thank you in special for your recognition to all these single employees that make our hotel stand out and that in the end are the ones that would make you choose us again in the future. We will forward all your nice and generous comments to the people that you mentioned; the best reward that we could have for all the hard work our employees do is give all these compliments to them so they know that they are on the right track and that their work is appreciated.

The Chef, the waiters, the Star Friends and everyone at the Resort would be proud and honored to welcome you back in the near future. We are already working to provide a better service to all our guests. It would be amazing to make your next stay even greater than this one.

The Public Relations office would be looking forward to your contact to ensure that you have an incredible time.

2,788 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Polish first
Mundelein, Illinois, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

the grounds, the beach, the architecture, the location - all are speachless: clean, well kept and beautiful. The shows and daily entertainment are also great, you will not be bored. The food and the service killed it all. For room service you get transferred around for hours and wait on your order for two. The food is horrible, has absolutely no taste, especially if you go to a la carte restaurants.

Dear Clients,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

It is truly important to receive your feedback since it provides us with information to improve our services and facilities. The Chef and the F&B department have already taken your comments into consideration, be sure that they will review these issues and fix them.

We have already forwarded your feedback to the management; they would be glad to know that the beach, location and grounds were clean and taken care of.

Boston, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had an amazing time at Iberostar Del Mar. We visited for a wedding and could not have been more pleased with our stay. The service was incredible and always smiling, the room and grounds were immaculate, and the activities provided were fun and unique.

The beach was gorgeous and had available seating consistently. The golf course was amazing (although they were performing greens maintenance during our second round and didn't mention this at the start or provide a discount). The activities and trips we could purchase were similarly fantastic: we went snorkeling and visited Mayan ruins for very affordable prices.

The only "downside" would be the food. It's not bad, but it's probably comparable to college dining hall meals. This is mostly concerning the buffet. The restaurants (which require reservations) are a few steps above this, and provide above average fare. We were always content to eat the buffet food, but it was not memorable by any means.

All in all, I'd highly recommend staying at Iberostar Del Mar. We had a most amazing time and would easily go back.

Dear Guests,

On behalf of the management team we would like to thank you for your recent stay at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar.

We are really happy to know that the service provided was outstanding and you appreciated our kind and friendly staff; these actions lead to a good communication with our client .
We have forwarded your comments to the Head Chef so he can use them to improve, be sure that the chef and his staff always work and will keep working hard to provide a better selection, quality and service. They have recently changed the menus at the Mediterranean, Gourmet and Italian restaurants to offer more selection and quality.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and enjoy again the golf course, the nice grounds and the amazing environment and friendly service we have to offer. If this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival, the Concierge would be looking forward for your next stay.

Iberostar México
Maineville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have been to Mexico all inclusive vacations many times. This place had the most beautiful well maintained grounds, gardens that I have ever been. There were flamingos , swans, and so many different birds. Iguanas could also be found. Coati's were every where. This place was much bigger than expected. You can do a lot of walking which I love. For those who don't there were always golf cart transportation available every where.
The staff there were very friendly and willing to help. They worked hard. We were well taken care of.
Rooms were average but I liked the Mexican feel. Beds were okay. TV reception poor. AC could not be adjusted. Housekeeping did a nice job.
The buffets were average. Enjoyed some of the specialty restaurants. The Japanese , the steakhouse were my favorites. Only could make reservations for 3 restaurants. Wish we could have made more. They had Paella on Monday at the beach that was awesome.
The pool was huge and beautiful. Bring a raft to float. Entertainment staff were awesome. Always something to do.
Enjoyed the beach. Could take long walks. Weather was beautiful and we had a constant ocean breeze which made the temperature so comfortable at this time of year. Diving and snorkeling available on site. Also parasailing and wave runners on site.
Definitely recommend . We will be back. Had a great time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar for your recent stay.

We are truly happy to know that everything was amazing during your stay and you enjoyed a great vacation the here in Mexico. We are glad to know that you found the Staff always helpful and friendly; we believe that the best asset is our Staff and their smile and friendliness makes our Hotel unique.

It is amazing to read that the food, the grounds, the staff and basically everything was great.

We would be more than glad to welcome you back to offer you again an incredible time at our Resort. If this is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival.

Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

It's a bit of a conundrum this hotel! On the face of it all looks good; the building design is good; rooms a decent size and very well cleaned; pool area and the facilities excellent ; but I still feel disappointed.

The loss of rating from me stems from a couple of areas; firstly he food. I stayed for 7 nights and very quickly got bored with what in effect is the same menu across several restaurants. On top of that the food is simply not that good, not bad, but not good. Being all inclusive tends to lower your expectations, had you 'paid' for the meal you mightily likely complain and certainly not go back - with all inclusive you have to go back. Never saw any decent shellfish all week.

Now the entertainment - best described as Butlins (english holiday camp) with an accent. Boring as hell and pretty amateurish. Slightly bizarre hearing Stings 'Englishman in New York' being sung with a Mexican accent. Could have throttled the drummers who did not seem to know which drum to use and drowned out other instruments.

The last point I would make is that I have a few simple measures on whether I think a hotel is quality and one of these is offering free and widely available wifi. It's the 21st century and I dont expect to have to pay for wifi and then be restricted to using it in the reception area.

PS - very disappointed in the quality of snorkelling when I went on a trip. Not a patch on Caribbean islands and a long way from Red Sea standard.

Room Tip: Away from the theatre which is noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear guests,

On behalf of the management we would like to thank you for your recent stay at Iberostar and for taking the time to share your comments.

Your positive evaluation about the facilities, grounds and cleanliness of our comfortable rooms are much appreciated.

With respect to the food we regret to hear that our buffet did not meet your expectations. Our variety tries to cater different palates. However we will forward your constructive comments to our Executive Chef to take into consideration.

Your observation about the entertainment has been shared with the departments involved in order to look into areas of improvement.

Concerning the internet access, we would like to inform you that thanks to our guests’ suggestions we are working on improving that point; we are planning to provide connection service for the rooms and other areas sometime this year.

Again, we are very sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations on your last stay. We truly appreciate all guest feedback as it provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to achieve the utmost level in customer satisfaction.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back and restore the confidence in Iberostar, if this is the case please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival, we would be looking forward to your next stay.

Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have gone to at least 7 all inclusives in Mexico and Carribean. And I expect to see some complaints about the food or amenitites on Trip Advisor. But it has always turned out fine. However, this time it is for real !! Two of us were sick with intestinal issues much of the week. That has never happened to us before. The food was not appetizing for the most part- even the breakfast which usually is reliably good at all inclusive resorts. I had to work hard to find something to eat. Lunches by the pool were bad too- picked over and poor quality food. Dinner buffet better but still not up to par. The tacos at the shopping center were good. That is because the shopping center serves the whole complex - not just the ( poor?) people at the del Mar. We also ate at the Brazilian steakhouse (OK) and the Gourmet restuarant ( this was actually pretty good- best meal we had there). I would also say that the baked goods were very good- especially the cookies.
I agree that the facility is nice and the rooms were fine. Bed worse than usual resort. Suffered back problems all week.
I'm seriously not a complainer but I was NOT pleased with this resort and will not go back or recommend it to my friends. I also found the smoking in the lobby to be very annoying. Again- I expect some smoking in public places but there was literally no where to get away from it in the lobby area. I thought that they seemed understaffed in many areas. Glasses laying around- long time to wait for drinks. One day there was just one bartender at the pool bar- he worked so hard!
Anyway- if you can upgrade to get out of the del Mar- I would recommend it highly. This was my first Iberostar resort and probably my last. I have seen consistent complaints about the food and appologies from management but they don't seem to want to address the situation.

Room Tip: We were in #18- good location between pool and lobby.
Dear Guests,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar for your recent stay in Mexico and also for taking your time to send us your comments about your experience at our hotel.

The management of Iberostar is committed to providing services, facilities and an ambiance which satisfies our guests’ requirements and therefore we extend our sincerest apologies if you were disappointed with certain aspects of our resort. Please rest assured however that all your observations have been noted and will be passed along to the respective department manager.

We appreciate your feedback with these constructive comments about our service and we are sorry you got sick during your vacation. Please let us clarify that our company has a high priority for health & safety, and we get regular control audits from an external company called Saniconsult. This company comes in to verify our system procedures and we are getting excellent results, which show that our procedures are adequate. Indeed, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

With respect to the food, we are sorry the buffet did not was up to your expectations. We have always considered our buffet to be complete and we even have a cooking live spot where our Chefs are always willing to fulfill our guests’ requests when it comes to food preparations from scratch. However, it is truly important to receive this information since it provides us with insight information of our services and facilities. We are always looking new ways to improve our services and keep the quality that distinguish us and we have offered for years.

The Chef is already working to improve the food at the buffets and also at the specialty restaurants, and as proof of that, the Mediterranean, Italian and the Gourmet restaurants have changed the menus recently in order to offer more variety and better quality of food.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the taco´s place at the Shopping Center as well as some of our restaurants a la carte.

Regarding the bed, we would like to mention that all the mattresses in our rooms comply with a standard; nevertheless, we have soft bed toppers upon our guests’ request.

We sincerely hope you give us another opportunity in the future to change your point of view regarding the above mentioned services. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Warm regards,
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Property: The place was beautiful, well-groomed, spotlessly clean, and thoughtfully built. There was an abundance of fauna all over the property. The ponds and fountains were pretty. Everything was spaciously laid out and it never felt tight and cluttered. It was like lush gardens everywhere you went. From the lobby to the restaurants, the architectural design was some of the most creative I've seen - but more in the realm of "classy" creative. not tacky, attempt-at-postmodern creative. Just well done and tasteful.

Staff: The staff were great and friendly, always helpful. The STAR friends were a lot of fun, always ready to play, hang out, or help out. Everyone (like front desk, wait staff, etc.) would start out in Spanish, but once they knew you didn't speak Spanish, they'd switch to English and could do fine in English. Pedro with Apple Vacations was great.

Food: The food was some of the best we've had a resort. You're only guaranteed two speciality restaurants for a 4 night stay and 3 for a 7 night. But you can put your name on a waiting list for the other restaurants for the other nights. We were able to eat at a speciality restaurant every night. The Mexican was probably the best. The Mediterranean was close behind it and should have been described a seafood restaurant, since very little, if any, was traditional Mediterranean food (lebanese, arabic, greek, etc.) The steak and lobster was fantastic at the Med. The Steakhouse on the beach, though outdoors, still had a delicious and tender tenderloin. The Brazilian was a typical brazilian steakhouse. We don't usually do Italian in Mexico, since it never quite tastes right, so we didn't try it. We tried to get into the Japanese (hibachi style) but no openings. The buffets had some variety, but everything was good. The best food on the buffet was anything Mexican (makes sense, right). Again, the meat in the specialty restaurants (especially) was high quality, fresh and tender - unlike most AI restaurant steaks. The head chef told us that Iberostar has their own ranches and cattle that supply the chain with beef; they do not go through a third party distributor (yes, I asked). It was always hot, always tender and fresh tasting. I had low expectations on the food because of the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. They must have made some changes because of the reviews because it was some of the best food I've ever had at an AI.

Beach: It was very windy all week. The waves were rough, but not quite big enough to boogie board, but too big to just sit and relax in the ocean without getting tossed around a bit. There was very little seaweed. There was coral reef on either ends of the Iberostar complex, but not on the beach where most people are. It was quiet and comfortable. There was an abundance of beach chairs and plenty of cabanas for shade. But the rule about not being able to reserve your spot with a towel or personal article was 100% never enforced. By about 8:30 in the morning, every one of the shaded areas are "reserved" in this manner, even though there are only about 3 people on the beach. While "sharing" a shaded area with a reserved spot one day, the person did not even come to their personal belongings but once from 9:00 to 6:00, and even then they were only there for about 20 minutes; and during that time, they moved the chair into the sun to sunbathe. If that's what you're going to do, leave the shade spots for us fair-skinned people who burn easily, but want to be on the beach in the breeze and near the ocean. It was very frustrating because of how many "reserved" spots in the shade there were, and how few people there were actually occupying them.

Rooms: The room was nice, clean, cool. The towel arrangement (a swan, an octopus, etc.) on the bed each day was a nice touch. The minifridge was great. Of course, like almost every other resort, no shower curtain. When will other countries learn the value of a shower curtain in preventing bathroom floor flooding?

Entertainment: The Magic Show was amazing and not typical lame magic tricks you get at a lot of resorts. It was top notch - way to go Sebastian. The other shows were average. The Musical show had a live band and I think if the other shows had used a live band, they would have been above average too. The dancers were very talented. The production aspect (lights, sound system, set design, props, choreography, etc.) were very well done. I just thought a live house band would have really topped it off.

Shopping Center: Be sure and check out the shopping center. Such a cool and nice place to hang out. The hamburgers, taqueria, ice cream bar, and crepes place are all inclusive, which is fun to try. I was surprised at how few people were there, probably because they didn't know or they forgot about it. But Iberostar has really taken the time to make this shopping center a nice, well-put-together area, so enjoy it too.

Gym: The gym area was bigger than any resort gym I've seen. Free weights, machines, several treadmills, a few bikes, and an elliptical. The sauna, steam room, and whirlpool are all included. The gym was cool and spacious and if I was more disciplined I would have worked out there. OK I guess I like the food better than the gym.

Admin: This place was well-organized and well-run. It apparently has very good upper management. They were on top of things. Staff were looking out for safety everywhere you went. Management was watching when you don't even realize it. I appreciate companies who strive for excellence and transfer that value to their staff.

Room Tip: Each building has three floors. Upon check in, look at a map and try to get something centrally loca...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management team we would like to thank you for your recent stay at Iberostar.

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments since it provides us with a great tool to improve our services and facilities, your insight experience will be appreciated by readers and our own staff. We are truly glad to know that the Hotel was well equipped and the services at the Shopping Center ( tacos, crepes, ice cream ) were more than you expected.

We wil take your comments on the Mediteranen restaurant into consideration when we reorganize our menu.

Once again, thank you for your appreciation of all the services, our culinary offer, and management!!

We look forward to your return. If you visit us again please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Paraiso del Mar? Share your experiences!