I rate this property has "very good", because most of the amenities were.
We had a wonderful time. The staff was great. We met many nice people. Very diverse clientele. Couples, groups of friends and families from all over - mainly the U.S., Canada and Europe. It was a good value and an overall wonderful experience. I would recommend this resort for it's service, grounds, beach and pools. I would not recommend this resort to those who prefer a more intimate property and who put a high value on food, top shelf liquor and room service.
1) Beautiful grounds. Well maintained. Very clean. Lots of floral and fauna to enjoy. Nice subtle outdoor lighting at night illuminates the pathways. As an urbanite, I enjoyed the nature. Ponds with flamingos and swans, surround the main lobby. Iguanas, cats and coti (similar to raccoons) roam the resort but don't bother anyone. You feel as if the property is in the jungle. I liked that.
2) Service was excellent. All of the bartenders, waitstaff, housekeeping, bellboys, front desk personnel, were gracious, friendly and prompt. Big kudos to bartenders at the pool bars who worked diligently to get drinks served quickly. They were some of the fastest and most organized bartenders, I've ever encountered. They'd do well in any busy bar in NYC or Chicago.
3) Beach was very nice. Clean sand that does not burn your feet. Ample amounts of beach chairs and thatched beach umbrellas. Clean restrooms right off of the beach. Casual lunch buffet, self serve ice cream, soft drinks and a walk up bar...all with easy access. Fun beach activities. Great ocean experience.
4) Pool - largest pool I've ever seen. Pools were very clean and large enough that you never felt like anyone was invading your pool space. Ample lounge chairs and umbrellas at the pool. No need to get up at 6 a.m. to find a good spot. 3 swim up bars, clean pool area and a couple of buffets very accessible from the pool area. Also, clean restrooms in this area. Daily pool activities including contests, aerobics, etc.
5) We got a standard room and it was a nice size. Had a ground room floor with a nice balcony. Room had a TV with cable, closest, safe, dresser, mini fridge stocked with soft drinks, bottled water and beer. Also had a sofa, table for two with chairs. Well appointed room. Comfortable beds. Housekeeping service was very good. If you can't walk stairs, ask for a ground room floor. This property is a 3 floor property, without elevators. It's approximately 12 stairs, to each floor.
6) Good location if you want to visit Playa del Carmen. Very reasonably priced shuttle service from the hotel for $10 round trip.
7) Activities - Hotel can plan excursions for you and also many activities on site.
8) Amenities - Great health club - one of the best I've seen in Mexico. Full spa services (I didn't use any). Beach side massages. Night club, cigar bar, kids' club, dance lessons, nightly shows, sports bar, ping pong, internet cafe (pricey), room service until 11:00 p.m. with limited menu, money exchange services, medical services, chauffered "golf carts" to shuttle you to any destination on the property (it's a large property with a lot of walking), outdoor shooting/archery range, etc. Lots to do if you opt to participate. Local merchants on site for shopping, as well as a shopping mall and lobby stores.
9) If you're a coffee drinker, as I am, the best coffee is the coffee in your room OR the coffee made in the Lobby Bar (espresso, capuccino). The Lobby Bar coffee was excellent. Not very keen on the coffee at the buffets.
1) Lack of staff. The staff was incredible, but I felt that they were "stretched too thin". The pool bars could have used two bartenders. The Lobby Bar only had one waitress and at times, she was handling 50+ patrons.
2) If you're limited in your ability or desire to walk, this is a large property. They do offer shuttle service but at times, you will wait 10-15 minutes for one.
3) Food - Hit or miss.
The buffet offered ample choices, daily. A vegetarian would fare well here. All of the produce was top notch. Breakfasts were very good (my favorite meal). Many choices in the main buffet. I found myself disappointed with the beef. Always tough and very little of it available except for the hamburgers (not very good) and at the restaurants (tough). My husband eats a lot of fish and shellfish and found all of it to be excellent. As a non fish/shellfish eater, I struggled with finding entrees and ate a lot of produce. The cheeses were incredibly good, as were the breads and pastries. We went to two restaurants and thought the food paled to the buffets. We heard that the Brazilian restaurant is by far, the best. We didn't dine at that one.
4) Room service - Offered until 11:00 p.m. I ordered a ham and cheese club sandwich that was good. I also ordered a pot of coffee and was told that room service does not provide any beverages. I thought that was odd. My sandwich was good, but by the time the food arrived, my french fries were cold.
5) Shower - Our room had a nice, deep bathtub and and a hand held shower. The hand held shower can be used as a shower for anyone 5'6" or shorter. My 6'3" tall husband was unable to use it due to it being situation so low.
6) "Hot tubs" in the pool. Ample and clean but the water from the pool, feeds right into them so they are not hot. Also, the water jets are on the floor of the "hot tub" instead of on the sides so the jets and bubbles are situated below you instead of against your back. We went into them for the novelty of it, but didn't really understand their purpose.
If you get an ocean view room (only available on one building) you will be very far from the lobby a...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Paraiso del Mar and for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your stay at our resort. We really liked reading your comments about you enjoying the fantastic beaches, pool, facilities, grounds, fauna, and our great staff.
Your comments and suggestions have been duly noted and we assure you that we will study them more closely. We work hard to improve day by day to offer our guests our utmost in quality service and reading your comment make us feel satisfied and motivated.
Thank you once again for your words. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.