“Amazing week at Mayan Palace” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Palace Riviera Maya

You added Mayan Palace Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Km 48 carretera Federal, Playa Paraiso, Playa del Carmen 77710 , Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Denver, Colorado
“Amazing week at Mayan Palace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

I was very anxious prior to staying at Mayan Palace, because of the reviews that were given in the past. I went with 7 of my girlfriends, ages 25-59 (wide range) and we all had a wonderful time here. We got an extremely good deal for the week ($79/each for 1 week) and we had a 2 bedroom suite in building 1.

Room: I sent an e-mail 3 days prior to arriving to request building 1. Heard that there is a lot of walking going on, and we wanted to be as close to the pool as possible. They accomidated us, we had a 1st floor room in building 1, basically as close as we could get to the main pool area. We were very pleased. The room was upated in style, the kitchen was well stocked, and included a fridge, microwave, and burners, along w/ all the pots and pans and cooking utencils we needed. The beds were pretty hard, but we requested foam pads, and they helped ALOT. They came every night and prepared the couches for bed, put all the linens on and did a second quick clean of the room. They cleaned so well all week, we felt like princesses. The air conditioning was so cold, we often had to turn it down because it worked so well. We had an issue w/ our fridge, and then w/ our TV, but we called and they had it fixed within 30 min. The operator (Felix) was so much fun to talk to and he helped us with EVERYTHING.

Pool: Beautiful. The pool area is HUGE. You really cannot fathom how large it is until you see it. They have about 15 different areas of the pool to hang out in, yet they are all connected. The servers at the pool area are attentive and friendly. We ordered food from the pool area, and it was always very good. The fish sandwich is soooo yummy. They have happy hour every day from 11-1 (2x1 drinks) and a "special" drink they serve 2x1 until 5. They also have affordable food in the giftshop area, including made to order sandwiches and salads. They allow you to bring floaty things into the pool, I brought a lounge chair from home and had no problems with using it in the pool. We also brought a bag-looking cooler and brought beer to the pool, and even though its clearly posted that its not allowed, they never said anything. One day we also ordered like 20 of the 2x1 beers, and they brought a large metal bowl w/ ice for us to keep them in. They were very very accomodating, even though they really didn't need to go to such great lengths. The pool is 24 hours, and at night there was no one in the pool. There were a few nights where we went swimming in the buff, and not a single person saw us or bothered us.

Beach: The beach was nice, but knowing that we couldn't go swimming in it, we really didn't spend much time there.

Puerto Morelos: For swimming in the ocean, we went to Puerto Morelos and hung out at a beach bar called Cabanas Ixchel. Its about 10 min from the resort. It was recommend to me by a friend that lives down there, and she was sooooo right. Its the only beach bar in Puerto Morelos, and its phenominal. Sarah, who runs it, makes the best margaritas ($3) and mojitos ($3), and the view is to die for. Its really like something out of a movie. We loved it so much we went there 2 days. There were no tourists, its a local spot, and it felt so surreal, I highly recommend. We also visited a place called "The Jungle Spa" in Puerto Morelos. Its not well known at all, and its kind of hard to find, so have the concierge call before you leave to get directions and to warn them you are coming so they can prepare. The massages are traditional Mayan massages, and they get in deep and move organs and all sorts of stuff. It was the best massage I've ever had. The massage itself is $35, and I also got an additional treatment of aloe, where the take fresh aloe and lather your body with it and then wrap you in banana leaves. Its amazing on your skin. That was $25. It was so worth it. Its not super fancy there, but these women have heart, and make it such a personal experience. Highly recommend it. We also got a personal guide for snorkling in Puerto Morales, and he was amazing. $25 got us 2 hours out in the ocean,and a very personal guided experience. Some of the girls were very scared to go in the water and snorkle, and he held their hands and made them so comfortable, soon they were loving it.

Cabs: Cabs are what killed us. They are super expensive. You can negotiate a price, just make sure you tell them upfront what you want to pay. The airport is only about 30 min away, so if you have a large group its cheaper to catch a cab back to th airport then to use their shuttle service. We also took advantage of the resorts shuttle to the Walmart in town, and we would pay $4.00 each one way to Playa. The last shuttle leaves at 6pm, so we would take the shuttle and then hang out in Playa until dinner.

Dinners: We often ate out in Playa or Puerto Morelos, and the food was delish! Talk to your cab driver about recommedations. We ate at the Blue Lobster one night, and it was fabulous, the service, everthing was amazing. We also ate out at the little taco places around town, the cab drivers were fine with making a pit stop to eat or whatever. We also got food from Walmart, and made a few dinners in our room. We never got sick, not any of us. And there was plenty of veggie eating going around. Word is that they have updated their pipes in the area. We still got very large bottles of water for our room, but I heard other people were drinking out of the tap and were fine.

Monkeys: We went to the Jungle Place near Tulum one day, and played with Spider Monkeys. Highly recommed this as well. It was $40 for 1 hour, and we got reseved alone time w/ the monkeys they rescued and raised. They were so fun and sweet. The owners Heidi and her husband took pictures of us the entire time, I think I have about 100 pics w/ monkeys on my camera. It was a once in a lifetime experience. Be sure to call or e-mail Heidi to reserve a time. They have a website just google The Jungle Place.

Nightlife: We went to a couple beach bars in Playa at night. The blue parot has free drinks for ladies on pretty much every night, and they play a mix of dance/techno/mexicana music. The dance floor faces the ocean, and the bar stools are swings! Very fun. We went to Coco Bongo on our last night. We were sceptical about paying $45 for the entry fee - but I can say they could charge at least $100 in the states and get away with it. It included all drinks, and it was the biggest party/show I've ever seen. Confetti and balloons were constantly flying around, they had dancers and music impersonators, and trapeze artists hanging from the ceiling. It was so much fun!!

The local people, everywhere we went, were very friendly and helpful. The staff at the resort were amazing. They have outlawed begging in the city, so no more harrassment of tourists. We felt very safe, being a group of ladies, and were taken care of wherever we went. From the local feel of Puerto Morelos, to the Big City experience in Playa, we had a memorable experience and will definitly be back to the area, and to this resort.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

This hotel exceeding my expectations, I would definitely recommend staying here. The rooms were a good size and the decor was up to date. The restaurants offered at the resort were very nice and the food was good. To put your mind at ease from reading past comments about the walk to the pool, it's not as bad as you may think! When your surrounded by beautiful trees and landscaping how can you not enjoy the walk. I would recommend also taking a ride to Playa Del Carmen, its a very neat little town with lots of restaurants, bars and shopping.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Mayan Palace is a vaction ownership property with a golf course, entertainment on site & a variety of food choices. The pool area is very nice but many people have a tendency to keep the cabanas all day. The spa is very nice but is extra as is some of the entertainment. Overall it is a very nice place. I imagine it is pretty hard to get an ocean view as there are very little rooms of this type due to its design to avoid wind damage the rooms are generally away from the ocean side.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
20171
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Great place to stay. The resort has enough restaurants so that you do not really need to go outside, where the traffic just puts anything an hour way anyway.

Portland OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I went with my sister and my two daughters for a week of relaxation. My daughters were 8 & 11 and they LOVED the pool(s). We really went just to relax, so we didn't do much sight-seeing, but there was plenty to do if you wanted to. I thought security at the hotel was superior - when we took a taxi out of the resort, they have security checking the taxi's in and out and tracking who has left the hotel. I had never seen this before in other Mexico destinations I've been to. One of my daughters had come down with a virus just before we left for Mexico, and we ended up having to go to the doctor while we were there. They have a doctor on sight at the hotel and he was great, easy to get to, did all the paperwork quickly for insurance purposes and had medication on sight, so we didn't have to go to the pharmacy. The concierge employees were wonderful and always helpful...I would go there again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

OK, some of us have been there. I am an owner at Wyndham.
I stayed here through another owner, for a wedding. It has got to be one of the worst experiences I have had staying at a resort of this nature. They did not stand behind any marketed "discounts", they questioned the discounts we said we were told we'd have even after showing the receipts. The "90 min" presentation you have to attend to get the discounts turned out to be 5 hours. We purchased a six pack of beer the first evening and it was $34.00 USD. We had horrible service at the restaurant and could not reflect that through the tip because it was already included in the total. Management didn't care if the service was bad.
Be careful what you are promised, you probably won't get it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

The reason we stayed at the Mayan Palace - Riviera Maya is 'cause of my boyfriend's family's timeshare. This was my first time in Mexico and though I have been to different countries, my first time staying in a resort. My boyfriend had been to Mexico before and has traveled a ton - staying in resorts; thus, he had a great stay also. We didn't have all-inclusive amenities, so were on somewhat of a budget.

First, the overall experience of this resort is a pleasant one. The resort is modern and room was nice and clean. We didn't have a balcony or a view, but this was okay. Unfortunately, the bed mattress was uncomfortable after several nights. However, it was great to feel the breeze of the air-conditioning after being out and about in the nice hot sun.

From where our building was located it was quite a trek to the main area; however, this lead to us taking in some good walking exercise. They have golf cart trolleys that come around throughout the resort which was a neat experience; however, waiting around for them wasn't too fun. I preferred to walk many times, but it would be difficult for older / disabled folks to have the choice. The gardens and landscaping were beautifully manicured.

The location of the resort isn't that great, because a cab has to be taken out of the area. To take a regular bus, it is quite aways to the front entrance of the resort and it is located along the highway which doesn't feel safe. However, their tour buses come right near the check-in entrance.

The pool area is large and very nice. They held pool side activities for kids and teens during the day. It was relaxing and fun to lay on a sun chair and watch the games unfold. At night, the pool looked enticing and romantic to use. Unfortunately, we didn't use it 'cause I don't think it was heated. The beach is alright, but I've experienced better. The hammocks were relaxing and a nice addition.

We didn't eat at the resort much, due to price. The food we ordered pool side, for room service, and dinner in the Havana Room were decent. The latter having the best strawberry fruit drink I've had in my life called a 'Frescada'.

The service was excellent and many staff were friendly, especially the front desk check-in staff. The free bottled water they provide at the desk was great, and they even saw us 'sneak' extras without retribution.

We managed to avoid the timeshare presentation, simply 'cause of timing - they didn't have any presenters left available. This made us happy 'cause we could see the presentations dragged on for other guests. The free breakfast provided, due to us having agreed to attend the presentation, was phenomenal.

The packaged tours we booked through the hotel 'cause I believe we got a further discount for having agreed to the timeshare presentation was money and time well-spent.

The pay-for-use Internet Cafe was a real life-saver in that I was able to save my memory card photos on disc from the blank CD I bought there. I also had a project due for school that I was able to complete 'cause there wasn't a time limit on the computer - unless it is really busy. Also, if you didn't use up all your computer minutes, you could save them for another day. It was convenient that the Cafe was open late at night.

There isn't much night-life at the resort, 'cause it seems tailored to older guests. We aren't much for partying either, but a little more spice with music and dancing would have been a nice addition.

I'm displeased at how they keep crocodiles on site as this isn't very humane. Supposedly, they take them from nearby waters.

To top it all off - we had one night left, but checked out early to catch a flight. However, we had passport problems and had to stay in Mexico longer. The resort had no problem taking us back for that 1-night extra we gave up - no questions asked. It was great to not feel like a hassle by inconveniencing them.

Overall, a positive and recommended experience.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayan Palace Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!